• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool vs Norwich | PL Matchday 1 | Friday August 9th | 20:00h | Anfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
The new season starts with a Night at Anfield under the lights.

Lets see where it takes us.

Alisson
TAA Matip VvD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Milner
Salah Firmino Origi

YNWA

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I think
Allison
Usual 3 plus Matip ahead of Gomez.
Fabinho, with Hendo and Keita.
Up top
Salah, Firmino and Ox.

Cannot see Origi starting after yesterday.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
I think we'll see the same starting XI as in the Shield, though personally I'd like to see Keita start, maybe in place of Gini.
I'd probably go with Matip ahead of Gomez, but agree about Keita. Without Sadio, I'd like to see a creative midfielder who can combine with Robertson. That's not something Origi does (assuming he plays wide left), so I think Naby would be a good choice for this game.

On the right side maybe have Henderson playing like he did second half vs City; stay fairly wide and behind Trent to allow him to play high up, drop into the full back position when they sit back. Would give us two players there with excellent delivery from the right, and also give Salah the space inside.

Speaking of, I think Mo could go wild in this game. Nothing would surprise me, could see him starting the season with a hat trick or more. Looks like he's returned with only one thing on his mind: score goals.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
In the kop for this one.
A nice 4-0 would be a good start.

I think the community shield match was the perfect warm up game.... Salah looked very lively - just needs to sort his shooting out - and norwich will be the perfect team to get going.

WRT line up - ain’t got a clue... I’m sure Mané will get some minutes. Can’t see Adrian starting though!

Libero

I think Trent might not get the start hasn't looked great so far in pre-season and the shield game didn't help. Long season ahead anyway.

For me

Allison
Gomez Matip VvD Robbo
Hendo Fabinho Gini
Salah Bobby Origi

MrRinsin

TIA Regular
Oh my days, it's baaaaaack! The break's been long ladies and gentlemen but we sit a top the tree in Europe, ready to do battle on all fronts. I can't wait for this game, i go on holiday Saturday morning as well, so i'm super excited! Matip played well when he came on against Citeh but back to the bench, Gomez and VVD last season should not be forgotten, Joe was playing better than his partner at times, he deserves the chance to cement his place once more, keep Matip hungry too.

Alisson
TAA Gomez VvD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Keita
Salah Firmino Origi (would love Brewster but he'll be lucky to be on the bench)

I'll take an early goal or two to settle those early season nerves, both for Salah would be lovely! Time for the King to regain his crown.

fspencer

One of the toughest games of the season this . Will take a 1-0 win .

Newly promoted side, so i expect them to be full of beans, tackling anything that attempts to move . Early goal would be a great help .

Not being a pessimist just expect Norwich to have a really good go - that will most likely do us a favour rather than them sticking 10 behind the ball.

Sweeting

I think we started with a high line agaimst City as prep for this game (then we switched it at half time because we didn't want to get battered).

We'll probably start the same back 4 and we're going to be pressed high as fuck up the pitch.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Yeah I think Matip goes back in. Trent looks like he'll need a bit of time to catch form, which is okay of course, all normal. Our line was a bit all over the place. Looked better when Matip came on, even with Gomez at RB. But Trent starts here. I think Fabinho and Gini are two who are certain to start, then it depends who's the third. Maybe Henderson. Up top I'd move Origi to the bench and start maybe Ox or even Keita in that left half-space. Depends who has more match fitness, maybe we need to wait a bit more with Ox and give him more starts from the bench. Keita looked sharp in his first two games.

Alisson
Trent Matip vDijk Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Keita

Subs: Adrian, Gomez, Milner, Lallana, Chamberlain, Shaqiri, Origi.​

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Is this our year?

BT computer says no.

Last edited:

Incognito

The Normal One
Not sure if we would need a cautious approach here, so possibly one of Gini/ Hendo/ Fab drops in this one? Gini played the full 90 against city, so maybe he would be on bench? Ox still doesn't look completely ready, but Keita looked promising to me the other night. Not shy of the ball and almost scored the winner.

Another choice would be between Trent/ Gomez, hard to drop Matip considering he's not given any reason yet, but Klopp started Gomez ahead of him so never know.

Let's start with a green +3 please! :-)

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think we’ll go for

Alisson
Trent Matip Van Dijk Robbo
Fabinho
Hendo Keita
Salah Firmino Origi

Subs: Adrian, Gomez, Lovren, Gini, Milner, Mane, Brewster
Mane should get 20mins off the bench.

jaffod

I think we’ll go for

Alisson
Trent Matip Van Dijk Robbo
Fabinho
Hendo Keita
Salah Firmino Origi

Subs: Adrian, Gomez, Lovren, Gini, Milner, Mane, Brewster
Mane should get 20mins off the bench.
That's the team I'd pick. All the talk of dropping Matip is nonsense. Same with Origi, if he can't get a start here he might as well have packed his bags in the summer.
This will be difficult and I don't see us winning by more than the odd goal. Atmosphere should be boss and might get us over the line.

Joe Gomez x

———————-Alisson————————
—TAA——Matip———Virgil——Robbo—
———————-Fabinho———————-
———Hendo—————-Keita—————
—Salah—————————-Shaq? /Origi
———————Bobby————————-

Is Shaq fit or no? I think Origi will be given a second chance against a weaker Norwich side than City. I think Matip will start over Gomez, it’s debatable but I’ll pick Joe just because he scored and looked solid. Hendo may not start as Jürgen might want to go more attacking against a newly promoted side by playing Adam Lallana who looked decent against City.

My prediction 3-1. Norwich to score first out of nowhere

Show me the Mane

Hate playing newly promoted teams early, they seem more enthusiastic and fresh before the injuries kick in
that said the City game should have put us right and ready for this
Pukki looked okay in the Championship but no Van Dijk's in that league.
Possession should be a high percentage in our favour and clean sheet should happen unless we go 3 or 4 up and relax
2-0 or 3-0 I would guess

Status
Not open for further replies.