Liverpool vs Southampton (h) - Saturday 21 Sep - 15:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'm keen to start looking forward to the next game. Only 3 days away now and Brendan faces a big selection headache. Coutinho confirmed out till the end of October and with it being the last game before Suarez comes back it will be interesting to see who replaces him.

Personally I do not want to see anymore of Aspas until he proves himself in training and others like Sterling, Alberto and Allen are given a chance to impress. Also with Kelly making a comeback in the U21 game hopefully he will be fit to start the game along with Agger. I would go with the following formation on Saturday:

Mignolet​
Kelly Skrtel Agger Enrique​
Gerrard Lucas​
Sterling Hendo Moses​
Sturridge​
Subs: Jones, Toure, Sakho, Allen, Alberto, Ibe, Aspas​

RMP

TIA First Team
How do you know he hasn't proven himself in training ?

dxb_red

migs

Toure Agger Skrtel Enrique

Allen Lucas

Hendo Stevie Moses

Sturridge

Allen impressed me a lot in preseason and I'd like to see him getting some game time...

RMP said:
How do you know he hasn't proven himself in training ?
He might have but he certainly hasn't proven himself on match day. So back to training it is to improve in what he's lacking. Can't wait for 6 months in the hope he will suddenly click. He must win his spot back ahead of the others as they deserve an opportunity to show what they can do.

Seamus

Yeah that team looks most likely to start unless Wisdom starts ahead of Kelly.

I must say that i would nearly look at Alberto ahead of Henderson or Sterling. I think we are going to need someone more creative than Jordan in that position now we know Coutinho's layoff is until the end of October. I think it would be an ideal game to introduce him into the starting line-up.

I don't think we can afford to leave Jordan out of the side either for his determination to work hard for the team and i think Sterling might be better off the bench should the team need an injection of pace at some point during the game

Whatever happens it will make for interesting reading come Saturday.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I don't think BR gave him a chance last week. He is a forward, makes good runs in and around the box, has a few tricks and is nippy. I am not convinced he is PL standard but he is better than some folks give him credit for.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Kelly has had 3 games with the U21's now and is looking better but not back to best yet. Might be fit enough to do himself justice but only BR and co. will know that. Hope he is , we certainly could use him with all these injuries.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

I agree with playing Alberto in that role - he deserves a chance, or you have to question why we've even bought him. I don't want to see Aspas there - he should be considered the back striker, and nothing more. Alberto - in contrast to how Aspas plays - looks like he keeps his head up and is always looking for a pass.

Hopefully Kelly is fit, and Wisdom doesn't have to start. He could do with sitting a game out.

Elsewhere, while it doesn't seem fair to drop Skrtel for Sakho, having give him his start on Monday, and in hope he is the future of the defence, you have to play him - if Agger and Sakho are the long term pairing, then let them start to build an understanding.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The result is obviously important, particularly against a side that frankly made us look foolish last season. But even more so is the need to play a solid game. We have had some decent passages of play, but our results have been far better than our performances - we need a good game to get untracked.

Mascot88 said:
Elsewhere, while it doesn't seem fair to drop Skrtel for Sakho, having give him his start on Monday, and in hope he is the future of the defence, you have to play him - if Agger and Sakho are the long term pairing, then let them start to build an understanding.
I think it would be difficult to drop Skrtel after two great performances. Perhaps we might end up playing Toure and Sakho vs the Mancs?

Seamus

You could be right about the CB pairing Mascot88. It makes perfect sense to play Sakho there if that's what the manager bought him for. Could think of worse games for him to have Anfield debut.

Seamus

liverpool_singh said:
I think it would be difficult to drop Skrtel after two great performances. Perhaps we might end up playing Toure and Sakho vs the Mancs?
If Danny is fit he will play I would think but who knows eh?! Nothing nicer to see the manager earning his bucks and whatever he does he will have to make a couple of big calls that's for sure.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
This would be a good game for Allen or Alberto....sadly also for Coutinho the first three were physical and Coutinho certaintly appeared more influential on monday before the injury.

Southampton are difficult side but they pass the ball and probably are most like us under Pocchetio than any other team.

lovepool

Southampton are not in great form and seem to have a problem finding the back of the net. We should be confident going into the game and concentrate on our own performance. Yes we will miss Coutinho and Suarez ,what teams would'nt, but we still have enough quality to create chances and win the game. Hopefully we can play well for 90mins and not see another jekyll and hyde performance like we haveproduced lately.

Mignolet Kelly Skrtel Agger Enrique Lucas Gerrard Henderson Moses Sterling Sturridge in a 433 hopefully with lots of movements and the full backs pushing forward. I would play Henderson left centre as part of a midfield three as Gerrard and Lucas have struggled at times

huwzie

TIA Regular
costared said:
I don't think BR gave him a chance last week. He is a forward, makes good runs in and around the box, has a few tricks and is nippy. I am not convinced he is PL standard but he is better than some folks give him credit for.
But to play for liverpool he needs to be PL quality.

At the moment he looks too light weight and is trying too hard. He is not a game changer and that was evident when he came on against Swansea. In fact we went backwards. I am always one who is willing to give a player time but he doesnt fill me with any confidence when he comes on. We should have kept Borini.

Watch Aspas score a hat trick now haha

huwzie

TIA Regular
I will say this though that i think Aspas will probably shine when he links up with Suarez. Fingers crossed.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
1. CB: Agger plays if fit; if not, then Sakho-Skrtel pairing again in the middle. Skrtel has been my MOM for both of the past 2 games, on current form is undroppable.
2. RB: Felt Wisdom was really caught out in the Swansea game, would consider starting Kolo at RB, or Kelly if he's deemed fit enough after his recent runs in U-21. Think this will be Kolo though, with Wisdom/Kelly as backup.
3. AM: Putting Aspas in Coutinho's slot was a mistake. Is Allen fit yet? I'd like to see Luis Alberto get a shot to start there, I've liked his composure and he seems ready to shine after that U-21 game.

So, for me:

Mignolet

Toure Skrtel Sakho/Agger (if fit) Enrique

Lucas Gerard

Henderson Luis Alberto/Allen Moses

Sturridge

We need all 3 points in this one, lads!

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Don't feel Alberto is ready. Also not sure about Aspas starting in the hole. If Allen is fit, he would be my first choice to fill in for Coutinho, if not, Henderson is the next best option and I would start Sterling or Aspas on the right wing. Southampton's midfield is strong and technical, I don't think Alberto will have the work-rate that either Allen or Henderson could offer in that role. Even though we're at home, we saw last season how Southampton's midfield easily over-ran and bullied Gerrard and Lucas. Henderson or Allen will be necessary. Alberto is not ready.

As for right-back, like many others, I am still not convinced with Wisdom. He's clearly a CB. I would rather we start the game with more experience in Toure. I've read a few times that Ilori has played as a fullback but I have no idea to what effect. Judging by reviews and our own manager's assessment, he seems to have the pace required but I don't know if he is ready to start a game this soon. Toure is probably the safest option. Skrtel deservedly keeps his place after the last two performances. Between Sakho vs. Agger, I wouldn't rush Agger back just yet. Also feel like Sakho deserves another game after a decent debut. Centerbacks, especially new ones, cannot be rotated every game. If Agger is fit for the United game and Sakho continues to do well then its a healthy selection problem for Rodgers and that isn't a problem but at the very least Sakho needs to be given a good run.

koptician

We'll go again!
I'm not sure what Henderson would bring in the AM slot, maybe purely because we don't want to rock the boat too much so if Allen is injured and Alberto isn't ready (I personally think we should give him a go as we'll never know IF he's ready otherwise, we did it with Suso and he didn't disappoint last year).

rupzzz

TIA Regular
With the United cup tie on the Wednesday, I think this might be a game where we leave Toure and Agger out of defence again. Allow Skrtel and Sakho to play again. Again, although it would be good to see Kelly start, might be better still to play Wisdom again and save Kelly for United as an option.

Other than in defence, I think the rest of the team selects itself. After Alberto scored 3 last night I think it's a good time to bring him in. Albeit if Allen is fit maybe he should start.

Mignolet

Wisdom - Skrtel - Sakho - Enrique

Lucas - Gerrard

Henderson - Alberto - Moses

Sturridge

Subs: Jones, Kelly, Toure, Sterling, Aspas, Ibe, Allen.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Few calls to make on this game, who comes in for Coutinho, the CB Partnership and i think Rodgers is also thinking about RB position

I expect depending on fitness he will go with.

Mignolet
Wisdom - Skrtel - Agger - Enrique
Lucas - Gerrard
Henderson - Allen - Moses
Sturridge

yiannos33

Believe
A match that we expect to win. Skrtel was outstanding in the last 2 games,and he deserves to start.
I'll like to see Kelly at RB along side Agger and Enrique at back. If Allen is fit to take Coutinho's place.
Put Gerrard where Coutinho plays and Allen to take Gerrard's.
2-0 Liverpool.

Walter Sobchak

Defense: I want to see Kolo there. His drive, his bossing, his enthusiasm and experience. I want Skrtel there, he earned it. And lets keep playing Sakho. I thought he was very good on monday, bar a couple of positional errors. He had what, 15 intercepts?

Midfield: Let Alberto have a go as AM. Immense yesterday for the U21s, including a hat trick. If not him, then shuffle SG up there, maybe he'll wake up from the nap he was having monday. If anyone should be rested, for say Allen, I think SG should be the one.

Attack: Moses and Sturridge obviously, Hendo out of position but let him roam a bit and use his engine.

Rory Fitzgerald

One of the things to consider with Alberto starting there is who he will be facing. He will be in operating in the general territory of 2 big lads in Wanyama & Schneiderlin who put in some questionable tackles on West Ham last Sunday. If Rodgers wants to back him then great, throw him. However, he is only a young kid adapting to the Premiership and perhaps a game in which he will be required to 'navigate' between 2 lads that like a physical game then I can see why we may go with someone that is not as wet behind the ears.

Either Henderson central with Sterling wide or Allen in there who is used to playing in this league or even Aspas. I have no real issue with Aspas yet. We saw bits and pieces of him in pre-season that was promising so I believe there is a player in there.

shootscore

Mignolet

Kelly or Toure Skrtel Agger Enrique

Lucas

Gerrard Allen or Alberto

Ibe Sturridge Moses

Kelly if fully fit. I think Skrtel's earned his place there. Aggers presence would be welcomed, he and Skrtel also have collective experience and understanding, which I'd go with here. Enrique I think overall is playing quite well. He is getting forward, and his crossing's improving.
Lucas in his usual defensive midfield to shore up the defence and provide the defensive part of a midfield pyramid. I'd like to see Stevie G be in the more forward zone at times for maybe a few long range shots and be part of attacks. He still provides an attacking option there. I'd go with Allen if he is fit, also give him a chance to get forward, show what he could do. Henderson as a sub for any of the three midfielders. Could play in Lucas' position. Stevie G is getting older, its a reality, could give it a good go and if he starts to fade Henderson could play there, or for Allen/Alberto, depending. To henderson's credit he is versatile enough to play in any of those positions, but I'd like to see what attacking midfield play would come from Gerrard and either Allen/Alberto.
Why not give Ibe a start out right? Sturridge striker, Moses again out left. Aspas also as a versatile forward option, a possible sub for any 3 attacking positions, depending on form, fitness, injuries.

Maulkin

LittleFinger
shootscore said:
Mignolet

Kelly or Toure Skrtel Agger Enrique

Lucas

Gerrard Allen or Alberto

Ibe Sturridge Moses
I definitely wouldn't sacrifice Henderson for Ibe. He is in form and he could even play the AM role while Coutinho is sidelined.

shootscore

Fair call Maulkin.
Although he has been good overall, I don't feel Hendersons given us that much in attack so far. Though to be fair he did score that very nice goal against Notts County. I don't think we can count on Daniel Sturridge to always score, so we need to work on goalscoring options.
And he would have a role to play (with my formation), just not initially.

NZred

The Red From NZ
I think it's time we give Allen some games. We are really struggling for long periods to hold possession. He does it better than most in the squad. Might help bring some composure to our play.

Oh and whatever happens. No Wisdom. Ever again this season.

slufsar

looking forward to see henderson centrally, which is exactly what we need to succeed against southamptons midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.