Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Not yet confirmed on LFC's official site. Never heard of him too. 21 years old, coming from the Wirral. Here is a link to an article about him:

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Seems a strange one... 21 and can't get in the Brentford side?

Flobs

FADA
Found this on Joe Hardy, he's very small which could explain why he didn't play in Brentford's 1st team.
So a strtegic transfer to give optionsandpossibly a player who could become strong enough to ask questions. A small, skillful Vardy type player to attack 1st post and centrally?

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
A player to allow the u23s have a striker especially with Brewster going, meaning we don't have to play lads out of position up top.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

Sweeting

U23s vs Bilbao

Winterbottom
Hoever Savage Boyes Gallacher
Cain Clarkson Dixon-Bonner
Bearne Hardy Hill

Sweeting

U23s 0-2 Bilbao

Two poor goals, literally just ran straight through the middle and scored. Boyes and Savage haven't played well.

blaze

Faith.
For those wondering the game was from the Premier League International Cup. We are currently third(1-0-1) with a game in hand on the top 2 PSG and Bilbao who have p-w-d-l = 3-1-1-1. Win our game against wolves and we are top. The same is true for wolves though who are 0-2-0.

Sweeting

What's the deal with recalling Miller? Wasn't he getting a decent bit of game time on loan.
He was getting time but doesn't seem Kilmarnock is the happiest of places at the moment. By all accounts he always worked extremely hard but didn't look to be the goal threat he was last season up there, when Steve Clarke was manager.

From what I have seen he certainly isn't a natural striker, although he has played there for the U18s and U23s, but more of a winger.

For whatever reason it just hasn't worked out as well for his development as it did last season.

I expect him to be flipped out to a new club before the end of the window, although with the U23s being short staffed there is an outside chance they may hold onto him.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
I'm assuming Miller was called back to fill a role and compete with Hardy in the U23s. We seem short on strikers for the U23s at the moment. A useful player who knows how to score at that level would be beneficial for the rest of the team.

I have to say, half way through the season, one of the biggest surprises for me, after seeing how well all the kids played in the FA Cup, is that Hoever was not involved. Before the season started, if I had to pick one of the youngsters that was going to push for a first team place, it would have been him. There is no natural back-up to TAA at right back (Gomez at CB, please!), and Hoever seemed to glide majestically all over the pitch whenever I watched him play. Scored a wonder goal for one of the Dutch youth sides over the summer, and now he's second choice RB for the U23s! I'm not disappointed or writing him off in the slightest, but trying to keep track and prognosticate youth players development is like trying to map out where the sand dunes are in the desert.

Granted, it probably also speaks to how well Neco Williams has progressed. Seemingly out of nowhere, I had no idea who he was before this season, I'm sure those that follow the U18s knew who he was. Well done to the lad, hopefully he keeps it up.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
U23s 1-2 Bilbao.

Bearne pulled one back with a deflected shot but we were deservedly beaten.
Does not tell the full story though does it. The Spanish guys all looked as if they were in their twenties and were much bigger and stronger. Also they all play in the lower levels of Laligua consequently they were far more experienced. Our team was virtually an U18 side. Two or three more years phyisical growth and experience is a lot at that age.
First half I thought we might get a hiding but the lads seemed to find fresh confidence at HT and stepped up the pace and closed down very well. We had far the better of the second half and in the end the Spaniards were looking very leg weary . The result was justified but our youngsters came out of it with a lot of credit.

Sweeting

Does not tell the full story though does it. The Spanish guys all looked as if they were in their twenties and were much bigger and stronger. Also they all play in the lower levels of Laligua consequently they were far more experienced. Our team was virtually an U18 side. Two or three more years phyisical growth and experience is a lot at that age.
First half I thought we might get a hiding but the lads seemed to find fresh confidence at HT and stepped up the pace and closed down very well. We had far the better of the second half and in the end the Spaniards were looking very leg weary . The result was justified but our youngsters came out of it with a lot of credit.
Yes you're right I think there was only one lad in the Bilbao team who was under 20 years old. The lad who scored their goals is 23.

dakid

How bad is Oakley Cannonier's injury? I know he was taken to hospital during an England game a few months ago and hasn't been seen since?

Sweeting

U23s vs Southampton

Strong line up now that the PL football has eased off a bit.

Winterbottom
Williams vdBerg Boyes Larouci
Cain Chirivella Clarkson
Elliott Hardy Jones​

Subs: Atherton; Hoever, Gallacher, Dixon-Bonner, Millar

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
5-0

Jones scores from edge of the area, top bin. A minute later he puts a 40 yard ball in Williams' path who squares it to Millar for the 5th.

Standard of football has been exceptional tonight. Curtis Jones deserves more time with the firsts.

Sweeting

Jones absolutely electric. Adopted a shoot on sight policy and on another night could have had six or seven goals himself.

Larouci shut down the right hand side of the Southampton team all by himself.

Good to see Joe Hardy get himself two goals - took both of them nicely as well.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
5-0

Jones scores from edge of the area, top bin. A minute later he puts a 40 yard ball in Williams' path who squares it to Millar for the 5th.

Standard of football has been exceptional tonight. Curtis Jones deserves more time with the firsts.
Not sure the shoot on sight policy is quite what we're after but it sounds like Jones and Larouci have put in the kind of performances that Klopp will be looking for from them.