Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Not sure the shoot on sight policy is quite what we're after but it sounds like Jones and Larouci have put in the kind of performances that Klopp will be looking for from them.
A bit greedy at times but he often found himself in good positions so a lot were warranted, he just didn't have his shooting boots on tonight until his well taken goal. That's the biggest plus for me, he's no longer waiting for the ball in non-threatening positions and he doesn't run down blind alleys with it, as I felt he did last season. He's now constantly threatening the opposition goal.

Both full backs were excellent and Southampton just couldn't live with the likes of Chirivella and Clarkson in the midfield, too technical. Hardy's finishes were well taken.

The style of football was most pleasing though. Everyone wanted the ball, everyone pressed when they lost it, very high line. Identical to the first team.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
The style of football was most pleasing though. Everyone wanted the ball, everyone pressed when they lost it, very high line. Identical to the first team.
That’s good to hear. If the youngsters are playing the same way as the first team, it’ll mean that they are more prepared to slot into the senior side whenever required.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Why is Hoever not playing. He is not even getting a U23 match? Unbelievable change in situation in couple of months.

Mystryman01

Why is Hoever not playing. He is not even getting a U23 match? Unbelievable change in situation in couple of months.
It seems as the coaching staff don't see him as Centre Back, with Van den Berg and Boyes preferred, and even Clayton ahead of him in that role, while at RB Williams seems to have jumped ahead of him after he got injured and continued that good form for the U23's and also with the first team
Thought he was really going to kick on after that goal in League Cup
But he still has time
Competition for the back up RB spot will only improve him and Williams, and they also have the perfect role model in TAA

costared

TIA Reserve Team

I think Hoever is injured. Make no mistake he is a class player and hopefully will be around for a long time. I am sure he is highly thought of by the right people.
Hardy took his goals well . We needed a striker at U23 level but I am not yet convinced about his first team prospects.

Sweeting

You never really know at youth level. He might be changing role, he might have been shite in training this week, he might have felt ill, might be carrying an injury, might be failing a class at college. Could be anything, he's still very highly rated.

Last edited:

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
From the Echo:
Ki-Jana Hoever was an unused substitute against Southampton on Monday and hasn't featured in Premier League 2 since September due to a combination of international duty, injury and first-team squad call-ups.

Critchley, though, has dismissed any fears of a problem, with Hoever expected to feature in the Premier League Cup clash at Wigan Athletic on Friday.

"We have lots of games coming up," he said. "Neco obviously played against Everton and we wanted to play Sepp (van den Berg) and Boyesy (Morgan Boyes) who have been a good partnership for us at centre-back.

"There's no issue. Ki-Jana is fit and ready and will be playing in some of the games that are up and coming."

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Weaker u23 team tonight are getting beat 2-0 at HT by Wigan thanks to some poor defending and poor finishing on our part.

Hoever is back in the side and is easily the best player on the pitch. Cain and Clarkson always look good, though Clarkson has given it away a few times which is unusual for him.

VdB struggling again unfortunately.

Sweeting

Losing 3-0 now and deservedly so.

Not sure why but Liverpool not at it at all today - body language is poor, they don't really look bothered.

Joe Gomez x

How did VDB and Hoever play, mustn’t of been great by conceding 3. Also any word on Hardys performance

Sweeting

How did VDB and Hoever play, mustn’t of been great by conceding 3. Also any word on Hardys performance
VDB was awful to be honest. Clumsy, lethargic and gave the ball away all night.

Hoever was good in the first half but I barely saw him in the 2nd.

Hardy was invisible, had no service but couldn't impact the game. Not a massive surprise, he was brought in to fill up the numbers not seriously challenge for a first team spot.

Mystryman01

No Jones, Elliot or Williams who all seem very part of the first team squad, proabably with a likely view to start next week against Shrewsbury

Sweeting

No Jones, Elliot or Williams who all seem very part of the first team squad, proabably with a likely view to start next week against Shrewsbury
Yeah you're right they were left out to train with the first team so presumably they'll be doing drills with the starting XI following the Man Utd game.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
It wasn't a league game and we stayed top of the Premier Cup group even with the loss so that may have influenced team selection also.

Sweeting

Harvey Elliott scored a late equaliser with an overhead kick in the 2-2 draw with Wolves tonight.

Kelleher
Williams Hoever vdBerg Larouci
Clarkson Chirivella Cain
Elliott Hardy Millar

Larouci was forced off early through injury, so he is a doubt for the Shrewsbury game.

Last edited:

Sweeting

Two year contract for Morgan Boyes, taking him up until at least June 2022 (not sure how long he had on his current deal).

Boyes has proven to be extremely comfortable in possession (averages 63 passes per game and 92% accuracy) but is weak aerially - a common issue with young defenders. He is also short for a CB at 179cm but obviously has growth ahead of him at just 18 years old.

Last edited:

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Two year contract for Morgan Boyes, taking him up until at least June 2022 (not sure how long he had on his current deal).

Boyes has proven to be extremely comfortable in possession (averages 63 passes per game and 92% accuracy) but is weak aerially - a common issue with young defenders. He is also short for a CB at 179cm but obviously has growth ahead of him at just 18 years old.
I like him because he has that bit of fight in him but I have to admit that I've always paid much more attention to Rhys Williams, maybe because of his build. Unfortunately, it's a rarity for a centre back to carve out a top level career if he's not tall enough. Not just for centre backs, as time passes by, all football players need to have at least one stand-out physical attribute in order to make it, I've had the impression for years that technique and intelligence won't be enough in the future.

Sweeting

Liverpool have postponed tomorrow's U18 game with Wolves, most likely because they didn't feel they could put together a competitive team.

U23s vs Arsenal at The Academy tomorrow also which will go ahead.

Predicted Line Ups

Liverpool U23 vs Arsenal
Winterbottom
Bradley Savage Boyes Gallacher
Dixon-Bonner Cain Varesanovic
Bearne Stewart Hill

Subs: Ojrzynski; Walls, Beck, Norris, O'Rourke

Liverpool vs Shrewsbury
Kelleher
Williams Hoever VDBerg Lewis
Clarkson Chirivella Jones
Elliott Hardy Millar

Subs: Winterbottom; Boyes, Gallacher, Dixon-Bonner, Cain, Bearne, Hill

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I like him because he has that bit of fight in him but I have to admit that I've always paid much more attention to Rhys Williams, maybe because of his build. Unfortunately, it's a rarity for a centre back to carve out a top level career if he's not tall enough. Not just for centre backs, as time passes by, all football players need to have at least one stand-out physical attribute in order to make it, I've had the impression for years that technique and intelligence won't be enough in the future.
Lionel Messi says hello

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Lionel Messi says hello
But he did have outstanding physical qualities - pace and balance. It's players like David Silva and Cazorla that I think are a dying breed - neither strong, nor tall, nor pacy, though they were extremely agile and thus it was difficult to take the ball off them.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Pace I’ll give you, but is balance a physical attribute?, possibly....I suppose.

Point still remains though, around the turn of the century I would have agreed with you, the German team in particular became a land of giants, but still in today’s game, there’s a place for those with just supreme ball control and vision who stand 5 foot 6, with no great pace.