• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Sweeting

U23s beat arsenal 3-0 this morning with a fairly weakened team.
Boyes, Varesanovic and Longstaff scoring.
I was there for the first half, expected Arsenal to be much better. Liverpool dominated impressively given the amount of changes.

The Varesanovic goal was excellent, beautiful cross by Norris.

Kelleher
Gallacher Savage Boyes Norris
Varesanovic Clayton Dixon-Bonner
Bearne Longstaff Hill​

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
For me, Williams has been the biggest and the most pleasant surprise of all of these kids. I've always liked him but he looked too small, so I immediately assumed that he wouldn't make it in the first team. How wrong was I and how I hope to always be this wrong when it comes to saying bad things would happen. He looks more comfortable on the ball than in any youth game I saw him play and it's great to see him attacking the box (the six-yard one, haha!) without any fear.

I can see why he'd be preferred to Hoever in that role at the moment - Hoever also has certain lapses in concentration when defending but is immense with the ball and a great, composed passer, a common theme with Liverpool's young players.

Elliott will hopefully learn how to be more involved in the box, he's still playing as a playmaker rather than a winger but his technical ability and eye for pass... I can't believe he's not yet seventeen.

Chirivella deserves more time, he bossed games against Premier League and League One opposition in the cup and I wish he signed that new contract with Liverpool because he probably is a late bloomer. He probably won't, which is a shame. He looks so much sharper and stronger and more agile than before, he looks to have self-confidence again and he's playing without fear.

Jones sometimes infuriates me with his tricks but maybe they aren't as unnecessary as they look at first, though his sky-high self-confidence sometimes looks as arrogance and selfishness. It will come with time, I guess, training with the first team will do wonders to him, especially as he'll probably be a member of the first team squad from next season on, fitness permitting. He was untouchable last night, they had to repeatedly foul him and Williams. Maybe playing centrally should be his long-term future but I liked what he did on the left.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Williams is someone I wasn't aware of, I knew of Jones and wasn't that sold on him but yeah he has grown as has Williams and they have been the two that impressed me the most. Elliott for a 16 year old is very good. Just have to realise he is 16.

Zoran

Williams is a nice RB addition. He is improving nicely. We have a number of options there for backup for Trent. Allows us to focus more on the left side, as I'm not impressed (for now, can change) by either Larouci or Lewis, having next season in mind.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

Williams reminds a little of Flanno. It is not immediately obvious that he has the talent to succeed at this level, but you have to just put your hands up after seeing in the first team and acknowledge that he's done absolutely everything that is asked of him. It is fantastic that our academy has produced someone as good as Trent, but that cannot be the standard on which it is judged. Maybe Elliott and Jones will get there, but we will have been well served by the academy if all we get out of this group is a solid back up to Trent content to fight for whatever minutes he can get for 6-7 years before finally leaving for more regular football towards the end of 20s.

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Dunno, Williams' talent was quite obvious when he started playing youth team football, he looked a cut above the rest with his technique. Not as good as Trent for sure, who it was blindingly obvious was going to be a first team player, but better than most full backs you see at youth level.

Nikola

Admin
Dunno, Williams' talent was quite obvious when he started playing youth team football, he looked a cut above the rest with his technique. Not as good as Trent for sure, who it was blindingly obvious was going to be a first team player, but better than most full backs you see at youth level.
To be honest, I thought Hoever looked much better at right back than Williams in youth and pre-season games. However, in competitive games, Williams didn't put a foot wrong, even though I had low expectations of him, he still managed to get me off my seat at times. I agree that left back situation is quite the opposite, I still hope that Larouci will prove to be a shrewd piece of business (he was outstanding in FA Youth Cup run last season) but the more I see of him, the more he reminds me of Moreno, not just because he absolutely refuses to consider his weaker foot.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
To be honest, I thought Hoever looked much better at right back than Williams in youth and pre-season games. However, in competitive games, Williams didn't put a foot wrong, even though I had low expectations of him, he still managed to get me off my seat at times. I agree that left back situation is quite the opposite, I still hope that Larouci will prove to be a shrewd piece of business (he was outstanding in FA Youth Cup run last season) but the more I see of him, the more he reminds me of Moreno, not just because he absolutely refuses to consider his weaker foot.
I'd have had Hoever ahead of Williams too, but then I rate Hoever very highly as well.

I only say that about Williams as I was incredibly impressed the first time I saw him play (a couple of years ago now). Sure I made a post about it ITT. He looked class from the start to me.

Zoran

not just because he absolutely refuses to consider his weaker foot.
When's the last time you've seen Robbo use his weaker foot? ;)

(I know what you mean, frustrating to see in some actions, but it's incredibly rare to find defenders who are two-footed like Maldini was, especially if you're a lefty and a wide player)

Limiescouse

(I know what you mean, frustrating to see in some actions, but it's incredibly rare to find defenders who are two-footed like Maldini was, especially if you're a lefty and a wide player)
He uses it a fair amount for a left footed player (who tend to be more one footed than righties). Rarely will he use it for long balls or crosses but in his overall play he has no problem using it.

Last edited:

Nikola

Admin

I swear I saw him clear it with his right once in the last two months and he touched it once more!

I don't expect any player to be two-footed, don't get me wrong, it's a very rare trait that I unnaturaly admire. However, I don't want to see Liverpool players spinning around on their standing leg, doing almost a 360, in order to catch the ball with their stronger foot, just because they don't have the confidence to hit it with their weaker foot. Moreno and Larouci both share that ugly trait.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
One footedness is a criticism only ever leveled at left footers.

It is basically racism.
Most people who make the criticism are probably right footed. They see a player not doing what they interpret as being the natural and "easy" thing to do and (maybe correctly) assume it's a favoured foot thing. Meanwhile their brain won't jump to the same conclusion when a right footer is in that situation as their brain won't identify it as the easy or natural action. That's my theory anyway.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
One footedness is a criticism only ever leveled at left footers.

It is basically racism.
[/QUOTE

I assume that was tongue in cheek lthough I agree it may be more obvious in lefties.
Personally I find it very frustrating how many senior players are one footed, some more so than others to be fair. There is no doubt that being comfortable using both feet is an advantage and IMO there is no real excuse for it. As a kid I trained myself to be two footed with a tennis ball and a wall to play it against. As a coach I found it possible to improve a players weaker foot with repetition drills and by putting them into positions in training matches where they had to use their weaker foot .
It is not rocket science

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Can't we have all of them?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I'd have had Hoever ahead of Williams too, but then I rate Hoever very highly as well.

I only say that about Williams as I was incredibly impressed the first time I saw him play (a couple of years ago now). Sure I made a post about it ITT. He looked class from the start to me.
Hoever just needs to watch videos of Fabinho all day long and be the heir-apparant no.6..

I think Williams is top quality and I agree with you he's nothing like Flanno - A limited player who made what use he had of his average ability combined with a huge amount of grit and determination. Williams is techncially another level.

CymruRed

Ad-free Member
That doesn't make any sense,why would he choose England over Wales? with TAA,Walker and Trippier as England RB's atm and James/Aarons coming through,i'd imagine if he had any aspirations of playing International football he'd pick the country he's from with the potential of being first choice and getting a game,over being TAA's back up for club and country in the near future.