Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
That doesn't make any sense,why would he choose England over Wales? with TAA,Walker and Trippier as England RB's atm and James/Aarons coming through,i'd imagine if he had any aspirations of playing International football he'd pick the country he's from with the potential of being first choice and getting a game,over being TAA's back up for club and country in the near future.
Probably because Giggs is manager and he's a twat.

Mystryman01

Saw a recent article about Bobby Duncan being disappointed about his lack of football at Fiorentina, and how the club were now looking to offload, with Sunderland suggested as potential suitors. He must be massively regretting his move, likelyhood is that he would of started at least two games this season (Aston villa (EFL cup) and Shrewsbury (home) in the FA cup, and been involved in a couple more (Arsenal and MK Dons in the EFL cup and Everton and Shrewsbury away in the FA Cup)

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Saw a recent article about Bobby Duncan being disappointed about his lack of football at Fiorentina, and how the club were now looking to offload, with Sunderland suggested as potential suitors. He must be massively regretting his move, likelyhood is that he would of started at least two games this season (Aston villa (EFL cup) and Shrewsbury (home) in the FA cup, and been involved in a couple more (Arsenal and MK Dons in the EFL cup and Everton and Shrewsbury away in the FA Cup)
What's happened to Duncan combined with the chances the youth players have been given this year is the best bit of PR the academy could have hoped for. Our best young players will now think twice about looking elsewhere and the best players from elsewhere will want to come and play here.

If we can add a Harvey Elliott to our books every year or two that will be no bad thing at all.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
What's happened to Duncan combined with the chances the youth players have been given this year is the best bit of PR the academy could have hoped for. Our best young players will now think twice about looking elsewhere and the best players from elsewhere will want to come and play here.

If we can add a Harvey Elliott to our books every year or two that will be no bad thing at all.
And if Liverpool could add an academy product to the first team, say, every two years, that would be the best advertisement of all. I'm not talking about all of them being as good as Trent has been so far but imagine not having to buy squad players every now and then, giving chances to kids who are willing and able to take them instead... I'm having a tough time containing my expectations for a few of these kids but it's safe to say that many of them have taken their chance this season, relative to their age and (in)experience - so much that my head won't stop thinking about Williams and Jones being consistently fit and hungry lads who will take the places of Clyne and Lallana and work their way up from there.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Thought I would put my head on the block and make some predictions, 2 per category;

Will make it as a main player at LFC; Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott.

Will make it as a squad depth option at LFC; Neco Williams and Ki-Jana Hoever.

Will make it at a Premier League side at some stage; Ben Woodburn and Ovie Ejaria.

Will make it at a reasonable club in a top European League at some stage; Pedro Chrivella and Sepp Van Den Berg.

Will make it at a lesser league side in the UK or somewhere else in the world; Taiwo Awoniyi and Yasser Larouci.

Will be limited to lower English Leagues; Isaac Christie-Davies and Adam Lewis.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
And if Liverpool could add an academy product to the first team, say, every two years, that would be the best advertisement of all. I'm not talking about all of them being as good as Trent has been so far but imagine not having to buy squad players every now and then, giving chances to kids who are willing and able to take them instead... I'm having a tough time containing my expectations for a few of these kids but it's safe to say that many of them have taken their chance this season, relative to their age and (in)experience - so much that my head won't stop thinking about Williams and Jones being consistently fit and hungry lads who will take the places of Clyne and Lallana and work their way up from there.
Couldn't agree more. This has always been what those of us that follow the academy has wanted but it's something we're having to work towards bit by bit. The quality of our youth products has slowly increased over the previous 10 years, and I don't see it slowing down any time soon.

The standard of coaching at the club is obviously incredibly high. For years we've been saying the youth team play in a similar way to the 1st team, but it's never been truer than it was against Shrewsbury. In previous years the side might have played in the same formation as the first team but never quite the same style and intensity of football, but these kids are doing it now. The performance against Southampton the other week in the u23s was another example of relentless quality both in and out of possession. Not only does this make the boys better players but it eases their transition when placed in the first team.

We've got the move to Kirkby coming up this summer which not only should see a better standard of training facility but more importantly the kids and the seniors will be on the same base. Another step in the right direction.

Trent and Jones will hopefully be able to inspire the next generation of scouse kids to want to come and play here, but we've also got some potential success stories from the surrounding areas like North Wales and Lancashire.

Most importantly, we have a manager who is willing to give these lads chances despite the fact we're currently the best team on the planet. Why wouldn't you want to come and play here?

On a separate note it'll be interesting to see what youth recruitment we do in the summer. This season has seen VdB, Elliot and Hardy come in. If Gelhardt from Wigan is available that'd be a bit of a no-brainer, another local boy with a lot of ability.

Last edited:

Nikola

Admin
Couldn't agree more. This has always been what those of us that follow the academy has wanted but it's something we're having to work towards bit by bit. The quality of our youth products has slowly increased over the previous 10 years, and I don't see it slowing down any time soon.

The standard of coaching at the club is obviously incredibly high. For years we've been saying the youth team play in a similar way to the 1st team, but it's never been truer than it was against Shrewsbury. In previous years the side might have played in the same formation as the first team but never quite the same style and intensity of football, but these kids are doing it now. The performance against Southampton the other week in the u23s was another example of relentless quality both in and out of possession. Not only does this make the boys better players but it eases their transition when placed in the first team.

We've got the move to Kirkby coming up this summer which not only should see a better standard of training facility but more importantly the kids and the seniors will be on the same base. Another step in the right direction.

Trent and Jones will hopefully be able to inspire the next generation of scouse kids to want to come and play here, but we've also got some potential success stories from the surrounding areas like North Wales and Lancashire.

Most importantly, we have a manager who is willing to give these lads chances despite the fact we're currently the best team on the planet. Why wouldn't you want to come and play here?

On a separate note it'll be interesting to see what youth recruitment we do in the summer. This season has seen VdB, Elliot and Hardy come in. If Gelhardt from Wigan is available that'd be a bit of a no-brainer, another local boy with a lot of ability.
Now that you've mentioned the tactical layout of U23 team, especially the one that played against Shrewsbury, I was so pleasantly surprised to see Clarkson, for example, shadowing the exact movement of Milner when he plays as a CM in the first team and helps the ball transition forwards - go towards the left byline, receive the ball, help push the left back forward and pick out a short pass to either left CB or DM, move a few metres forward. His body language was similar as well! If Critchley and Lewtas can drum those little moves into their memory, I can only imagine what it will look like when all the sides are training together under the same roof.

I think Gelhardt's name was literally the first one linked with Liverpool after the last summer's window closed, pretty sure it was by Neil Jones. I haven't seen the lad play bar the odd Twitter video clip but I usually hear a lot of good stuff about him. After Glatzel's injury and Duncan's departure, U23s have been a bit short on quality and numbers, Stewart doesn't look bad at all, quite contrary, but is still a skinny kid and probably best served by staying in U18s for a little more. Maybe a left back or even a left winger wouldn't go amiss. Inglethorpe has stayed true to his word and has reduced the number of players and increased the overall quality of those in U23s, so I imagine a lot of youth players will be honoured to be on club's wishlist.

Nikola

Admin

"Mega." I like this kid, even if he has a long way to go towards being a genuine first teamer.

costared

TIA Reserve Team

With all respect I do not see Joe Hardy as a great prospect. I think he was brought in as a stop gap as we needed a striker at U23· level. From his point of view a spell at LFC is obviously going to improve him and what a great experience he has already had. Has a good competitive attitude and will improve but not enough IMO. I just feel he could return to Brentford and be a good player for them next season.

Agree Gelhardt would be a good signing.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
With all respect I do not see Joe Hardy as a great prospect. I think he was brought in as a stop gap as we needed a striker at U23· level. From his point of view a spell at LFC is obviously going to improve him and what a great experience he has already had. Has a good competitive attitude and will improve but not enough IMO. I just feel he could return to Brentford and be a good player for them next season.

Agree Gelhardt would be a good signing.
Me neither, he doesn't have the physical qualities to make it here. Looks like a decent finisher though, an old school poacher type. He's there just to do a bit of a job in the u23s and maybe make us a bit of cash.

I really rate Glatzel but that injury is a sickener, another one of our young strikers to suffer a massive setback. I hope he can return to his previous level. I was watching Leverkusen yesterday and thought Volland is the style of player Glatzel could develop into. Obviously a long, long way from that level at the moment.

Now that you've mentioned the tactical layout of U23 team, especially the one that played against Shrewsbury, I was so pleasantly surprised to see Clarkson, for example, shadowing the exact movement of Milner when he plays as a CM in the first team and helps the ball transition forwards - go towards the left byline, receive the ball, help push the left back forward and pick out a short pass to either left CB or DM, move a few metres forward. His body language was similar as well! If Critchley and Lewtas can drum those little moves into their memory, I can only imagine what it will look like when all the sides are training together under the same roof.
Clarkson is a cracking little player, reminds me of Brannagan a bit but even more technical. Needs to develop a lot of his game but certainly has some good attributes to build off. Can say the same about Cain, another technically excellent footballer.

Like that interview with VdB and how he says everyone is focused on playing for the first team in future years, you can sense the inspiration and motivation these cup games have given the academy players. You can imagine the level these boys will be giving in training will give them the very best chance.

U23s are on later against Sunderland, hopefully we'll see a strong side out and a big performance from the boys.

Nikola

Admin
@ILLOK, it seems that the Sunderland match has been postponed due to bad weather conditions.

As for the inspiration for these kids, I don't think that many of them expected to feature for the first team this season, at least not as much as they did. I can only imagine their thought process, "oh, I'm turning out for defending champions of Europe and top of the table team in England" - no better way to show how highly they're rated and what's expected of them.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
@ILLOK, it seems that the Sunderland match has been postponed due to bad weather conditions.

As for the inspiration for these kids, I don't think that many of them expected to feature for the first team this season, at least not as much as they did. I can only imagine their thought process, "oh, I'm turning out for defending champions of Europe and top of the table team in England" - no better way to show how highly they're rated and what's expected of them.
Ah, shame! But a sensible decision, the wind is really strong here today.

gr_sounder

"Mega." I like this kid, even if he has a long way to go towards being a genuine first teamer.
I agree with you, both that I like Sepp and hope he has a future with Liverpool, but also that he has a long way to go.

When people look at CBs, they think that we just need 2, one more comfortable on the left and one on the right and for Klopp they need to be ball-playing. But the reality is more than that. One of those 2 also needs to be the more cerebral leader/general of the defense and the other needs to be more the "doer" ... who reacts and puts himself in the middle of things. Virgil is a cerebral leader/general, while everyone who plays with him is the "doer". Both are essential and it's much easier to develop that part of the partnership. Gomez is a "doer" as is with the potential to be a general. Matip was intended to be a general, and can be, but is better for us as a doer... Lovren is definitely a doer. I think Sepp is being groomed as a general... and as such I could see it being another 2-3 years before he'd be really taking a first place spot if he makes it here.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
UEFA Youth League round of 16 draw:

Bayern - Dinamo Zagreb
Ajax - Atletico Madrid
Atalanta - Lyon
Inter - Rennes
RB Salzburg - Derby County
Benfica - Liverpool
Red Star Belgrade - Midtjylland
Juventus - Real

QF:

Inter/Rennes - Juventus/Real
RB Salzburg/Derby County - Atalanta/Lyon
Red Star Belgrade/Midtjylland - Ajax/Atletico Madrid
Bayern/Dinamo Zagreb - Benfica/Liverpool

SF:

QF4 - QF3
QF2 - QF1

Sweeting

U18s beat Coaching Connextions (a local football academy) 4-0 in a friendly today.

Kelly
Wilson Quansah Savage Rodrigues
Brookwell Norris Hill
Bradley O'Rourke Woltman

Norris and Brookwell (x3) with the goals.

Nikola

Admin
I assume Lewis and Larouci are both injured?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Good side that. Nice to see Jaros back, probably the best of the young keepers still at the club.

Wolves have a fair bit of talent at this level too so it should be a high level game.

Sweeting

Chirivella bossing the game early doors; incisive passing, very good covering. Admittedly he should be bossing this level of fixture given his age and experience but he is certainly doing his job.

Sepp van den Berg with a good start to the game also.

Sweeting

Good first half by Liverpool. Jones hit the post and in general they were the much more composed and attacking team.

0-0 half time score.

Sweeting

Millar on for Hardy

Jones just had another chance, span the defender and whipped a shot in from the left edge of the penalty area. Forced a really good diving save. At this level he has reached the Coutinho level that anytime I see him cut in from the left I expect him to hit the target.

Sweeting

1-1

Penalty scored by Wolves. Conceded by van den Berg - looked a bit soft to me especially the way the Wolves defender went down as though he had been shot (and proceeded to roll around for 30 seconds) when there was minimal contact.