Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The way things are are not the way they always must or will be. Our side right now is put together as much to take advantage of what our players excel at as because that is the way Klopp thinks a side should be put together. As the challenges we face change, or the personnel change the way we go about shaping the side will change.

So it's wrong to think that because Mane and Salah are both really fast we can only consider players in those roles who are also super fast (and we've considered and played plenty who arent). It's wrong to think that for the next several season we will bank on our FBs being a primary source of creativity and force the midfield to accommodate that. It's wrong to think the midfield will always have to be primarily table setters for other players.
But it's working pretty damn well. We don't have to change, there are like for like players out there within our considerable means to bring in and some coming through the academy that seem great match ups to our important senior players (Gomez=Hoever, Salah/Mane=Elliott etc.). If we can maintain something that has only dropped 19 points so far in the last two seasons whilst winning every international cup competition (so far) smashing and setting records all over the place on the way.... why just randomly buy or bring in players that would lead to us changing that and hoping we maintain our success?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Tonight U23s game away at Blackburn has been postponed. Waterlogged pitch.
By the way just an opportunity to say a quick thank you because having someone like you on these boards is absolutely brilliant. I'd have no clue on what's going on at youth level these days without you and a few others dedicating so much time to it.

Limiescouse

But it's working pretty damn well. We don't have to change, there are like for like players out there within our considerable means to bring in and some coming through the academy that seem great match ups to our important senior players (Gomez=Hoever, Salah/Mane=Elliott etc.). If we can maintain something that has only dropped 19 points so far in the last two seasons whilst winning every international cup competition (so far) smashing and setting records all over the place on the way.... why just randomly buy or bring in players that would lead to us changing that and hoping we maintain our success?
Again Strawman. No one has said we would randomly identify targets. Nor am I saying we will change just for change sake.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Again Strawman. No one has said we would randomly identify targets. Nor am I saying we will change just for change sake.
Well what you are suggesting is that "or the personnel change the way we go about shaping the side will change" well we are in control of that personnel change. We have never been a more desirable destination or as financially strong as we currently are. Our grounds future had never looked more shining or special. Our academy is getting better and better players graduating. We are as close to being 100% in charge of our future as we will ever be and with quite possibly the best recruitment team in the sport. How we are playing now should be maintained, and kept fresh with academy graduates and the odd purchase or two per year, for as long as it is effective for. At least in my opinion. As this came from me saying I couldn't see us changing the formula/set up of the side in the very near future to set up a CM of Fabinho, Havertz and Jones that would have a huge, at the moment seemingly unnecessary, structural change to our side, seemingly simply because a good player, Havertz, could be available. If he isn't a need and it was a purchase and massive change simply because he is a good and available player it would be quite random. Why take years to build something, get it running damn near perfect, then rip up those plans and start again because a top talent is available.

Limiescouse

We are in control and we are an attractive destination, but for as good as the recruitment team is we cannot (yet) create clones in a lab. Anyone we bring in to replace anyone is going to have as many difference as they have similarities. That will change the side in a way the other players will adapt to find the right balance. Sometimes the change is clear sometimes it is subtle. But that is simply what happens in a game in which there are 11 players all working together to try to create something coordinated and coherent. And it doesnt even require a change in personnel. Sometimes it just happens over time with the same group, or as the internal dynamics change.

Literally no one is arguing to just buy someone for shits and giggles, or because hes good with no vision for how he fits in. Yes, that would be random if we did that, but its a strawman. But the point is that while what we have now is a side that play according to Klopp's vision the details are due to the make up the specific players who Klopp thinks are his best XI. As that changes, and change cannot be stopped, the balance among them will likely change.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We are in control and we are an attractive destination, but for as good as the recruitment team is we cannot (yet) create clones in a lab. Anyone we bring in to replace anyone is going to have as many difference as they have similarities. That will change the side in a way the other players will adapt to find the right balance. Sometimes the change is clear sometimes it is subtle. But that is simply what happens in a game in which there are 11 players all working together to try to create something coordinated and coherent. And it doesnt even require a change in personnel. Sometimes it just happens over time with the same group, or as the internal dynamics change.

Literally no one is arguing to just buy someone for shits and giggles, or because hes good with no vision for how he fits in. Yes, that would be random if we did that, but its a strawman. But the point is that while what we have now is a side that play according to Klopp's vision the details are due to the make up the specific players who Klopp thinks are his best XI. As that changes, and change cannot be stopped, the balance among them will likely change.
Actually that was what I was replying to. A "why don't we" post followed by a suggestion that is radically different from what we currently have.

And subtle differences in personnel who can achieve a very similar job playing in a very similar way is a huge difference to what started this conversation that you then jumped in on. You do this quite a lot. You see something I say, argue against it, then why I explain my viewpoint accuse me of straw manning and that nobody is saying it just because you're not saying it. You're not the one the difference in viewpoint started with. I wasnt ever saying you said these things.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Actually that was what I was replying to. A "why don't we" post followed by a suggestion that is radically different from what we currently have.
I think the suggestion is that we could feasibly make a series of natural, organic changes over several years (probably more than the 2 stated) and end up with a different midfield blend than we have now, not that it is an immediate need to overhaul.

You basically denying this possibility is far more strident than @Limiescouse saying "well, why not?"

Evolving will be very important to the team. Klopp's principles can take untold permutations on the field.

Sweeting

Sweeting

No word yet on who will take over the U23 team. The most straightforward thing would seem to be to move Barry Lewtas into the role and promote Marc Bridge-Wilkinson from the U16s to the U18s. If they leave it until the end of the season they might be looking to bring in someone new.

auzziez

I don't know why I have a feeling that this is going to be Pep Lijnders Mk II.
Go to get first team managerial experience, come short of expectations and then back home stronger having learnt from the experience.
Don't get me wrong. I hope he succeeds at Blackpool, but something in me isn't convinced.

iftikhar

I wonder if it will harm the growth of our Academy players? It seemed he was the key behind the growth of so many youth players in recent times.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I wonder if it will harm the growth of our Academy players? It seemed he was the key behind the growth of so many youth players in recent times.
Under Klopp, the club have sought to put an identity together that outlives the personnel. Disappointed Critch is going, but I have little doubt someone will step into his shoes. We've prev seen the loss of Pep, he came back in a dif role, and subsequently we brought it Matos.

Someone will be in soon enough, and as @Sweeting suggests, it'll prob see changes in roles for the likes of Lewtas and BW.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
U19 XI v Benfica:

Jaros, Hoever, vdBerg, Boyes, Norris, Clarkson, Morton, Cain, Elliott, Bearne, Longstaff

Ojrzynski, Savage, Quansah, Bradley, Brookwell, Beck, O'Rourke

Sweeting

Don't understand this being a one leg tie - huge advantage to Benfica with us having to travel across there for the game.

Anyway, as I say that Benfica score. 1-0.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Don't understand this being a one leg tie - huge advantage to Benfica with us having to travel across there for the game.

Anyway, as I say that Benfica score. 1-0.
Presumably away goals rule still applies, though?

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
It's always been single leg knockout as far as I know. It's strange because the group stages are setup to mimic the seniors groups but then there's other teams like Derby who are now in it at this stage also.

3 - 0 now.

Sweeting

It's always been single leg knockout as far as I know. It's strange because the group stages are setup to mimic the seniors groups but then there's other teams like Derby who are now in it at this stage also.

3 - 0 now.
It's a bizarre set up as travel is a massive factor in progression at this level. Youth team players aren't flying first class etc. unlike the first team.

Derby have come in to it through the League Winners path - they won the U18s PL last season and so, because Derby didn't qualify for the CL, had a separate group stage that they went through against other clubs in similar situations.

They beat Minsk home and away - 2-0 away, 7-2 home - and then Akranes 2-1 away and 4-1 home. They've joined the main tournament by beating Dortmund 3-1 at home.

Sweeting

3-1 now - I'm not watching a stream so unsure what has happened but Tyler Morton pulled one back and Jaros and Elliott have been booked straight afterwards.

Sweeting

Finished 4-1

Tyler Morton scored for Liverpool

Liverpool finished with nine men.

Sepp van den Berg sent off for a professional foul.
Leighton Clarkson sent off late in the game for pushing someone who had fouled him. The Liverpool Echo described it as a "pretty pathetic decision".

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
It's a shame that the likes of Jones and Williams won't be getting much playing time until the end of season, taking into account fitness and form of first teamers, but I think it's safe to say that the first team gained two new players in them, at least when it comes to the next season. Jones, admittedly, had a poor game against Chelsea and was at fault for the second goal but if FA Cup elimination is what he needed to get his head down, not be overconfident and learn when to play a simpler game, I won't have issues with it.

Whole team faded in the second half but Williams looked very good in the first half, even if Pedro was instructed to exploit the space he left when he bombed forward. He put in a number of excellent crosses and prevented a certain goal, though his mix-up with Gomez should have resulted in one for Chelsea. Overall, I'm really surprised and pleased with his contribution this season.

In hindsight, maybe Chirivella should have been playing last night instead of Fabinho, maybe he deserved a game more than other Liverpool kids but I understand Klopp's decision.