Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Sweeting

Liverpool U23s' Premier League International Cup tie with Wolfsburg on Tuesday evening has been postponed.

Details on the rearrangement of the quarter-final will be confirmed in due course.
Cancelled due to coronavirus apparently.

Joe Gomez x

Will the likes of Christie-Davies, Mackenzie-Lye etc (lads with contracts up this summer) get a renewal. Not too up to date with the youth teams but are these lads and the others with only a few months left good enough for new deals especially being 22.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Will the likes of Christie-Davies, Mackenzie-Lye etc (lads with contracts up this summer) get a renewal. Not too up to date with the youth teams but are these lads and the others with only a few months left good enough for new deals especially being 22.
It would be the decent thing to do to keep them getting paid under an understanding they can leave for another club interested in them once transfers, medicals etc can be done.

Joe Gomez x

It would be the decent thing to do to keep them getting paid under an understanding they can leave for another club interested in them once transfers, medicals etc can be done.
Where would you reckon the two lads will be off to if they go. I’m not quite sure how good they are so could you inform me of a league or level which they would be most likely suited to?

Sweeting

Where would you reckon the two lads will be off to if they go. I’m not quite sure how good they are so could you inform me of a league or level which they would be most likely suited to?
If they cannot find a new club then they will likely be offered an extension, we don't like releasing players without having somewhere to go.

Christie-Davies and McKenzie-Lyle both have long term injuries so it may not be possible for them to get a new team - particularly with the recruitment process being completely messed up at the moment and teams not able to do medicals etc.

In terms of talent Christie-Davies would probably be useful for a League One club. I could picture somewhere like MK Dons where they value youth and good physical skills.

McKenzie-Lyle has played first team football previously in the Vanarama National and, given that he has barely touched a football in two years since joining, I would expect that is the kind of level he could expect to return to.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
If they cannot find a new club then they will likely be offered an extension, we don't like releasing players without having somewhere to go.

Christie-Davies and McKenzie-Lyle both have long term injuries so it may not be possible for them to get a new team - particularly with the recruitment process being completely messed up at the moment and teams not able to do medicals etc.

In terms of talent Christie-Davies would probably be useful for a League One club. I could picture somewhere like MK Dons where they value youth and good physical skills.

McKenzie-Lyle has played first team football previously in the Vanarama National and, given that he has barely touched a football in two years since joining, I would expect that is the kind of level he could expect to return to.
Always good to hear your input. Although probably not classed as youth team, what are your thoughts on Kane, Wilson and Chirivella?

I personally feel Kane will be a good Championship player. Wilson will be sold as albeit talented, I think he doesnt have enough about his game.
Chirivella is an interesting conundrum, i remember when we signed him from Valencia he was a different class, but then he kind of lost his way. I really like him, i think he has finally ‘got it’ in that he has realised what it takes to be a proffesional footballer. I would be interested in seeing him get game time in the league.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Always good to hear your input. Although probably not classed as youth team, what are your thoughts on Kane, Wilson and Chirivella?

I personally feel Kane will be a good Championship player. Wilson will be sold as albeit talented, I think he doesnt have enough about his game.
Chirivella is an interesting conundrum, i remember when we signed him from Valencia he was a different class, but then he kind of lost his way. I really like him, i think he has finally ‘got it’ in that he has realised what it takes to be a proffesional footballer. I would be interested in seeing him get game time in the league.
I was really impressed with Chirivella in his cup outings. You could tell he had a really good football brain on him. But I wonder if it’s a bit late for him.

Increasingly it is getting really hard to give kids a game in the league, when we’re trying to get 100 points and there is little margin for error. Had the season been able to continue, there might have been scope them to get games after the title was done. Such a shame.

Limiescouse

I was really impressed with Chirivella in his cup outings. You could tell he had a really good football brain on him. But I wonder if it’s a bit late for him.

Increasingly it is getting really hard to give kids a game in the league, when we’re trying to get 100 points and there is little margin for error. Had the season been able to continue, there might have been scope them to get games after the title was done. Such a shame.
To what end though. Typically that is done is a step towards getting more meaningful games the following year. Hasnt happened for Foden though, despite excelling in the games he got last year, as the competition both within and without is so tough.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
To what end though. Typically that is done is a step towards getting more meaningful games the following year. Hasnt happened for Foden though, despite excelling in the games he got last year, as the competition both within and without is so tough.
I think it’s more about who they are playing with. I’d like to see Chirivella get some time in a midfield with Henderson and Gini. That’s the way to see what he’s made of.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
There is a lot to like about Pedro but I have always thought he might be a bit short on pace for the EPL.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I see that according to the press MU have beaten us to sign Joe Hugill from Sunderland He is a 6 foot 2 16 yo striker but did not show much against our U18s and looked lost against our U23s so I doubt we were really interested.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
There is a lot to like about Pedro but I have always thought he might be a bit short on pace for the EPL.
Yep, I think he'll turn into a tidy player. As good as Alberto/Suso? Potentially.. The Premiership is a tough tough league if you don't have pace and athleticism .. You need to be properly special to make it young.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Kidderminster manager with some rather nice words about Rhys Williams (with a healthy dose of swearing):

Glad he's getting games and sounds like he's enjoying it, but it's still a weird one. Has Liverpool decided he's not making it here, or are they truly just 'toughening him up'?

Not many 18 yr old kids would flourish dropping them to that level, putting them in a rented place with 4 other players, and let them get after it on their own with a team of men. Just for starters, I imagine his diet and alcohol intake probably got thrown out of whack! Maybe trying to toughen and fatten him up.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Glad he's getting games and sounds like he's enjoying it, but it's still a weird one. Has Liverpool decided he's not making it here, or are they truly just 'toughening him up'?

Not many 18 yr old kids would flourish dropping them to that level, putting them in a rented place with 4 other players, and let them get after it on their own with a team of men. Just for starters, I imagine his diet and alcohol intake probably got thrown out of whack! Maybe trying to toughen and fatten him up.
He was great in FA Youth Cup run last season, I actually watched a few of those games live on TV. He really looked like baby Van Dijk at that level, though it was mostly because of his hairstyle and the ball being attracted to his head at all times! He is skinny, though, at least he was back then. I was as surprised as anyone that they chose a non-League club to help his progress but if it turns him into a proper Liverpool player, I won't mind one bit.

Inglethorpe has a clear plan set out for every academy player, I'm sure he had a good reason for sending him to Kidderminster. After all, it is difficult for a teenage centre back to get regular playing time in that position, so maybe that was the first thing on their minds, not just the fact that it would toughen him up for senior football.

Sweeting

I spoke a while ago about the need to artificially introduce "hardship" for some players. There seems to be a trend, when you look at a PL player's background, that they have have overcome some difficulty or struggled, failed and rebounded.

From the outside looking in this is probably what we have decided with Williams that we need to do. I have no idea about his home life or upbringing etc but on the pitch he has been the biggest and strongest player for at least 4 years, probably more. Liverpool probably wanted him to go and live away from home and play with bigger and stronger men. Kidderminster are professional so they aren't working other jobs but they won't be earning much money either and maybe they wanted him to see that side of life and football.

Just speculation but seems to fit our model.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I spoke a while ago about the need to artificially introduce "hardship" for some players. There seems to be a trend, when you look at a PL player's background, that they have have overcome some difficulty or struggled, failed and rebounded.

From the outside looking in this is probably what we have decided with Williams that we need to do. I have no idea about his home life or upbringing etc but on the pitch he has been the biggest and strongest player for at least 4 years, probably more. Liverpool probably wanted him to go and live away from home and play with bigger and stronger men. Kidderminster are professional so they aren't working other jobs but they won't be earning much money either and maybe they wanted him to see that side of life and football.

Do you think there is a chance of him being one that makes it here?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
CB is nearly impossible so no probably not. He is talented though I'd expect him to become a good Championship standard player by his early 20s and from there who knows where it could take him?
Its a shame I'm not really convinced on Nat Phillips or Van Den Berg ever being more than the most emergency or emergency cover really (5/6th choice style) although I'm basing that off very limited knowledge of them. Would have been nice to have another iron in the fire so to speak. I like Ki Jana Hoever but, I don't know why, I've just got a feeling he may end up somewhere other than CB. Maybe him and Fabinho covering a CB and a CM role between them at some point?

Joe Gomez x

Think it’s fantastic that he is playing professional men’s football at 18 especially at centre back albeit at a low level. Must be highly rated to basically be taken out of u18 straight into the men’s game with very little u23s experience even. Hopefully he’s bulked up and filled the frame more especially with these older lads in the gym pushing him. He should be starting now with Sepp at u23s next season with that experience (if both aren’t loaned out next season). As the gaffer said for Kidderminster he could be a league one prospect at 19 next year so that’s high praise, maybe a loan again would be fantastic for him as having 100 pro games under his belt then is a achievement in itself.

blaze

Faith.
CB is nearly impossible so no probably not. He is talented though I'd expect him to become a good Championship standard player by his early 20s and from there who knows where it could take him?
I think CB is a role where a lot more than just raw talent matters. I remember having a similar opinion of Connor Coady when he was in our youth setup and hes done pretty well for himself I'd say.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Sadly think its just a formality as I like him and I've been frustrated for awhile now that only academy products good enough to start week in week out "make it" here. We have players like him that are good enough to be squad players but never seem to stay and end up squad players elsewhere.

Limiescouse

One if the biggest challenges to youth development is preventing them from thinking they've made it prematurely. 18 is a particularly vulnerable age because that is when most of them start going full time and get fully immersed in it. Historically Utd have been very conscious of this even at the first team level. There were stories of how senior players on big money were not given a locker because everything at Utd had to be earned. When they looked across the city and saw the facilities City were starting to build for the kids, Utd made the conscious decision to maintain a more old fashioned and basic set up. They were concerned about the developmental consequence of treating kids like superstars before they had actually achieved anything. The idea had merit, but they underappreciated how important the shint things were in terms of recruitment, so for a good ten years, they struggled recruiting youth talent.

There has to be a middle ground, and that is what we seem to be trying to do. We give them the absolutely best resources, but give them enough exposure to what life is really like in the rest of the game so they develop an understanding that such resources have to be earned.

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
That's great for Pedro, at least it offers him some stability in a time of uncertainty. Very pleased for him, he has conducted himself flawlessly when playing for the academy sides.

I still don't expect he'll stay but if the plan was to keep him, move on Lovren, allow Fabinho to cover there and give Chirivella some minutes in midfield, I would not be at all disappointed. His performances with the 1sts this season have been impressive and I'd trust him a lot more than Phillips/Hoever/VDB at CB.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
We probably want to secure a good few loans for him, raise his profile and then finally get some cash in a few years when we feel the time and 'peak' is right. Anything more than that (like him proving he can be part of 22 players, because he's too good/old now to be a U23 player, he needs to play senior football) would be a bonus, I don't think we count on him in that sense. Similar to what Chelsea does with a lot of players, plenty of them who never end up playing for Chelsea anyway.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

His performance alongside Lallana in the Everton (?) game was one of the best of a non-established youth team player Ive seen in years. It wasnt just that he was good, but it was how authoritative he was and how much responsibility he took. Small sample size, but it was a good indication that he has a role to play. In a year in which we may be forced to make no new signings keeping him on for another year seems like the best course of action, even if we have to make promises to him to give him a way out the following year. 5 year contract (for protection) on a substantial raise with the intention of using him for 1 year, and if he doesnt genuinely break through we make it easy for him to leave next summer.

Last edited:

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
His performance alongside Lallana in the Everton (?) game was one of the best of a non-established youth team player Ive seen in years. It wasnt just that he was good, but it was how authoritative he was and how much responsibility he took. Small sample size, but it was a good indication that he has a role to play. In a year in which we may be forced to make no new signings keeping him on for another year seems like the best course of action, even if we have to make promises to him to give him a way out the following year. 5 year contract (for protection) on a substantial raise with the intention of using him for 1 year, and if he doesnt genuinely break through we make it easy for him to leave next summer.
Always thought he was a verybtidy controlling number 6 who has an excellent eye for ampass to break a press but I agree it was hismperformance against Everton that decided for memthat he can handle the Premier League as I thought bothe he and Lallana were outstanding in that game.

Hope he stays and is given chances.