Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
His performance alongside Lallana in the Everton (?) game was one of the best of a non-established youth team player Ive seen in years. It wasnt just that he was good, but it was how authoritative he was and how much responsibility he took. Small sample size, but it was a good indication that he has a role to play. In a year in which we may be forced to make no new signings keeping him on for another year seems like the best course of action, even if we have to make promises to him to give him a way out the following year. 5 year contract (for protection) on a substantial raise with the intention of using him for 1 year, and if he doesnt genuinely break through we make it easy for him to leave next summer.
Always thought he was a verybtidy controlling number 6 who has an excellent eye for ampass to break a press but I agree it was hismperformance against Everton that decided for memthat he can handle the Premier League as I thought bothe he and Lallana were outstanding in that game.

Hope he stays and is given chances.

Sweeting

I don't expect him to stay and if he does I expect it will be a reserve option but there is a path to the first team because Fabinho has been rubbish this season.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Leave on a free or leave on loan, I just hope he finds a decent football playing side because he finally needs to play senior football consistently. Staying here to play U23 football and 5-10 games for us would be a dead situation for him and even though he did well on a few occassions, there is no such room for him in our midfield I'm afraid. I think we as fans almost always warm to these cases more than what's it like in reality. Pedro's a good kid who's been under our books for a while, different managers, different talents coming through, sort of fell down the pecking order, was even slightly forgotten, a bit of bad luck. Suddenly gets a chance because he's needed and does pretty well. Go back to a Kevin Stewart, it was a nice story (if you asked the majority of fans then they'd keep him), we gave him a contract, but he was always going to be moved on somewhere to a lower level. Surprises can always happen, but I just don't think we can offer him much and he really needs to start playing proper first team football somewhere, being 23 soon and missing too much proper action through various reasons in the last two seasons. I think it's a case of trying to tie him to a new contract because he might bring us a few bobs after one or two loans (with this new interest in him).

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I don't expect him to stay and if he does I expect it will be a reserve option but there is a path to the first team because Fabinho has been rubbish this season.
Can't agree there, in my opinion, he was Liverpool's best and most consistent midfielder up to his injury. Afterwards, though, yes, he was rubbish, and it was even more highlighted by Henderson and Wijnaldum bossing it, especially the former.

I'd like Chirivella to prove himself at Liverpool largely because I want academy kids to look to him as an example of never being too late to make it if you're ready to take every failure on the chin (and he's had his fair share of those) and work hard to make things right. His performances this season were better than those of virtually all Liverpool U18/U23 team players who got to play over past seven or eight seasons bar Alexander-Arnold, Sterling and maybe Flanagan to an extent. There was the air of authority and composure about him that he didn't/couldn't show before. Suso and Luis Alberto are good comparisons to him, I'd say, and maybe he'll go down the same path, only a bit later, I think he'll carve out a decent career for himself.

Sweeting

Leave on a free or leave on loan, I just hope he finds a decent football playing side because he finally needs to play senior football consistently. Staying here to play U23 football and 5-10 games for us would be a dead situation for him and even though he did well on a few occassions, there is no such room for him in our midfield I'm afraid. I think we as fans almost always warm to these cases more than what's it like in reality. Pedro's a good kid who's been under our books for a while, different managers, different talents coming through, sort of fell down the pecking order, was even slightly forgotten, a bit of bad luck. Suddenly gets a chance because he's needed and does pretty well. Go back to a Kevin Stewart, it was a nice story (if you asked the majority of fans then they'd keep him), we gave him a contract, but he was always going to be moved on somewhere to a lower level. Surprises can always happen, but I just don't think we can offer him much and he really needs to start playing proper first team football somewhere, being 23 soon and missing too much proper action through various reasons in the last two seasons. I think it's a case of trying to tie him to a new contract because he might bring us a few bobs after one or two loans (with this new interest in him).
In principal I agree that I'd like him to go and play football, although in fairnes we pretend like the guy has never played before, he has nearly 70 appearances across his loan spells and here. Not breaking any records but he does have first team experience.

The Express have just reported that he has rejected the contract.

The only thing that surprises me about that is I think this is actually the closest he has ever been to playing in our first team regularly. Its not likely but look at our CM position - Wijnaldum still no closer to a new deal, Lallana leaving, Fabinho absolutely stinking the place out everytime he plays, Keita failing to deliver much and the only realistic competition for a CM role in the youth sides is Curtis Jones (of course they play different roles at CM but I'm just speaking as an overview).

Add on top of that playing for the best team in England, something he hasn't been doing previously. Making 15 appearances for Liverpool is going to be worth far, far more money than playing 38 games for Nantes just in sponsorship deals alone.

Sweeting

Can't agree there, in my opinion, he was Liverpool's best and most consistent midfielder up to his injury. Afterwards, though, yes, he was rubbish, and it was even more highlighted by Henderson and Wijnaldum bossing it, especially the former.
OK fair enough, he has been rubbish since his injury (which is 10 games) although the thing that he has been doing that is crap (getting caught ball watching and not tracking midfield runners) is a trait of his not a side effect of the injury - remember the Kante goal vs Chelsea. When he's fully fit he tends to get away with it, or maybe just got lucky that it wasn't punished as often as it was in the last few weeks of the season.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Yeah, but he had, what, two loans at small sides in Holland. He couldn't secure a move, we couldn't sell him. Now suddenly after a few nice games for Liverpool (biggest stage, even if we played young teams) and a free contract (not having the club thinking first and foremost about themselves, which is natural), he has a lot more options. Doesn't even have to be Nantes, perhaps with time he drops lower than that. It wouldn't surprise me if we found an agreement; new contract and a few loans, then sold when we feel it's the right time. Actually, that's one of the first things I'd change in football, drastically limiting the amount of (senior) players you can have under your books and out on loan, but that's another topic.

But I think he'd rather use this momentum on the market to find a better place than what he had on offer not long ago, finally play consistent first team football, fight for a new future somewhere else. If he's rejecting it, fair play, it's not all about money. Maybe the boy is tired of being primarily a reserve team player, soon being 23 and waiting for injuries to play a few games for us. Maybe he's thankful for the little opportunity he got and ready to move on now. Liverpool, on the other side, solves that possible problem (we have enough options for that 6 role, Fabinho and Hendo + Gini being 3rd) by using other players (like a Jones) or by signing a new midfielder (of quality), possibly in the summer of 2021.

It's not an easy role either and even though he's done well (not all games were equally good, Everton was his best I think, he had Lallana alongside him in a double 6 formation), I don't think he's good enough to be part of our 22. There could be a player in there somewhere else. I'm not one of those who cries over a Suso or a Luis Alberto or thinking too much what could've been. When you're a top club, you need to sort the basics. You can't give everyone the same chance I'm afraid, they have to earn it. Some simply need the time we can't always give them. Being a great side always means you'll have a number of them leaving and having a decent career elsewhere. The only thing we can do, when we're organized like we are now, is to time our decisions well and get profit.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I have a theory that no player with a name that is not "easy going" and "sonorous" can become a top player (Wijnaldum is an obvious exception!). Going by that, someone named Fidel O'Rourke should be a triple Balon D'Or, six-time Golden Boot, four-time CL and PL winner, best selling Brit-pop artist of all time and a successful independent movie actor. Please become a Liverpool legend, lad!

Livvy

Alles wird gut
I have a theory that no player with a name that is not "easy going" and "sonorous" can become a top player (Wijnaldum is an obvious exception!). Going by that, someone named Fidel O'Rourke should be a triple Balon D'Or, six-time Golden Boot, four-time CL and PL winner, best selling Brit-pop artist of all time and a successful independent movie actor. Please become a Liverpool legend, lad!
Absolutely agree, I was just about to say something similar. What a name!

Joe Gomez x

Not going to lie but I feel sorry for that kid. Obviously brilliant playing for the best football team in the world but that dad who trains him that serious at 6 is slightly concerning