Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Inglethorpe interview in The Athletic:

Neco Williams - says he expects him to push Trent. Describes him as a 'slow burner' because he hasn't been playing in the position for too long. Very effusive about his character.
What position did Williams play previously?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I was about to ask for someone to send the whole article if it was possible. I love reading what Inglethorpe has to say, he's often very direct when it comes to young players and their futures, I think that sincerity is one of the things that made him so good at his job and influential when it comes to redeveloping club's academy.
I can if you want, send me a PM.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I hope that the rest of the season will be more relaxed for Liverpool, so Klopp can use Williams, Jones and Elliott more often in order to prepare them for the next season, especially now that five subs are allowed. Elliott did alright last night but Williams had a beautiful cameo, his PL debut if I'm not mistaken. Obviously, Palace were in damage limitation mode but he still played like someone with a point to prove. Quality dribbles in one-on-one situations and a fantastic through ball to release Salah - I honestly didn't expect him to have confidence for that even in those "relaxed" circumstances.

He'll hopefully face much, much harder tests in his Liverpool career but judging by his cameo last night, he simply continued where he left off (and I don't think he played in a stronger Liverpool side) and will only build on his promise, fitness permitting. I wish Liverpool had a left-footed equivalent of him, so Robertson can have a breather here and there and Klopp can have someone to develop and rely upon when Robertson isn't available.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I hope that the rest of the season will be more relaxed for Liverpool, so Klopp can use Williams, Jones and Elliott more often in order to prepare them for the next season, especially now that five subs are allowed. Elliott did alright last night but Williams had a beautiful cameo, his PL debut if I'm not mistaken. Obviously, Palace were in damage limitation mode but he still played like someone with a point to prove. Quality dribbles in one-on-one situations and a fantastic through ball to release Salah - I honestly didn't expect him to have confidence for that even in those "relaxed" circumstances.

He'll hopefully face much, much harder tests in his Liverpool career but judging by his cameo last night, he simply continued where he left off (and I don't think he played in a stronger Liverpool side) and will only build on his promise, fitness permitting. I wish Liverpool had a left-footed equivalent of him, so Robertson can have a breather here and there and Klopp can have someone to develop and rely upon when Robertson isn't available.
Someone pointed out he actually used his left foot quite a lot/quite well. Anyone know if he has ever been tried at LB in the academy?

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Someone pointed out he actually used his left foot quite a lot/quite well. Anyone know if he has ever been tried at LB in the academy?
Not sure about that but Robertson played a pass back to Alisson with his right foot from quite some distance (hey there, @Zoran!). :) Maybe they're insistent on working on that in training, which means that Larouci will go Moreno's way.

Sweeting

Liam Coyle has signed a new contract.

He isn't likely to be one of the guys pushing for first team football but nice to see him getting a chance to extend his stay after two years of development have been destroyed by injuries.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

Said it in the post-game thread but Neco Williams just loves going forward. Seen this already in the games he's played previously, particularly Shrewsbury at home where he could have scored a hattrick.

He's a bit different to Trent in that he's constantly looking to get into the box. It's why I think he could be a decent outlet on the left, cutting inside and offering a threat on goal.

Really good talent, has everything necessary to play for this team.

Joe Gomez x

Abel Rodrigues surprised at him leaving. Thought we had a left back for the future with him coming from PSG I think. 16 quite a young age to be released. Anyone have any thoughts on him?

Sweeting

Abel Rodrigues surprised at him leaving. Thought we had a left back for the future with him coming from PSG I think. 16 quite a young age to be released. Anyone have any thoughts on him?
We signed him when he was 16 but he turns 19 this year.

Only a couple of sub appearances at U18 level to show for it.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
neco's composure/confidence on the ball jumped off the screen in the same way during his FA cup appearances, looks like he could play almost anywhere
Just wondering where he will end up playing, obviously cover at RB is great, but with Trent being so young, being reduced to cup games is not ideal, if he continues to progress the way he is.
People have always suggested Trent could play in midfield, but is it possible that Neco will move to a more advanced role similar to another Welsh full back who sits on the bench at Madrid?

Sweeting

Just wondering where he will end up playing, obviously cover at RB is great, but with Trent being so young, being reduced to cup games is not ideal, if he continues to progress the way he is.
People have always suggested Trent could play in midfield, but is it possible that Neco will move to a more advanced role similar to another Welsh full back who sits on the bench at Madrid?
He played very well at RW for us in the friendly against Blackburn, but if that is feasible in the PL I guess time will tell.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
He played very well at RW for us in the friendly against Blackburn, but if that is feasible in the PL I guess time will tell.
In hindsight, that might have been a good option against Everton. Everton were playing narrowly and we had no threat on either flank, Neco staying wide might have caused them a few issues.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Thought he played well in the cup for us in a one off game, but do people think he is good enough to be our 4th choice CB in we sell Lovren?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Thought he played well in the cup for us in a one off game, but do people think he is good enough to be our 4th choice CB in we sell Lovren?
He would be behind VvD, Gomez, Matip, Fabinho, Hoever and maybe Van Der Berg but then Lovren might be too. Is he good enough to be that level of emergency cover? Almost certainly, if we need it.

Sweeting

Just found this old article I wrote in 2013 about confirmed and potential youth signings. Thought it would be interesting to update it.

Signings
Sergi Canos – 16 – Barcelona

16 year old Spaniard Sergi Canos joins the Academy from Barcelona, who have launched an appeal to the Spanish government to change employment laws in response to losing their star ‘Cadet A’ player. The pacey winger can also play up front and will be expected to join up with Steve Cooper’s U18s team.
Rjected a new contract at Liverpool and joined Norwich in 2016 for £3m before quickly moving on to Brentford in January 2017. Has made 149 appearances for Brentford, scoring 23 goals but has often struggled with injury.

Kristof Polgar – 16 – MTK
Hungarian centre back Kristof Polgar has been at the Academy for a couple of months following a successful trial from Liverpool’s feeder club MTK. The stylish centre back made a few appearances for the U16s at the end of the season including an impressive display in the 1-0 win over The Right to Dream Academy in March. This season he will be considered a key player for the U18s.
Released by Liverpool in 2016, Polgar returned to Hungary where he became a first team regular for top flight Haladas. Moved to fellow top flight club Diosgyori in 2019 and started every game this season.

Herbie Kane – 14 – Bristol City
Liverpool recently completed the signing of 14 year old midfielder Herbie Kane from Bristol City. Kane had broken into the Bristol City U18s team but will be expected to turn out at U15 level for Liverpool.
Progressed through the ranks at Liverpool and made his first professional appearance for Doncaster during a season long loan in 2018/2019. Won Player of the Year and was included in League One Team of the Year. Rejected several loan moves after being encouraged to fight for his place but eventually moved to Hull City on loan in January 2020 where he has one goal in six appearances so far.

Potential Signings
Brooks Lennon – 15 – Real Salt Lake

Brooks Lennon trialed with Liverpool U16s in March this season, scoring the only goal in the 1-0 win over The Right to Dream Academy. The winger will be back for a second trial in July when he accompanies the U16 side to the Milk Cup.
Signed for Liverpool officially in 2015 and played sporadically at U18 and U23 level. Returned to Real Salt Lake in 2017 on loan before signing permanently and becoming a starting right back for them, making 92 appearances. Joined Atlanta United in December 2019.

Unai Lopez – 17 – Athletic Bilbao
Attacking midfielder Unai Lopez was recently linked with a £1m move to Liverpool following an impressive season for Bilbao’s U19 side. The chances of Liverpool securing the services of the youngster seem remote however since he has already turned down a move to Barcelona citing fears over moving away from his family.
As predicted, he did not sign for Liverpool and continued his career with Bilbao. Had loan spells away with Leganes and Vallecano. Has made 55 appearances for Bilbao and generally seen as a rotation option.

Matheus Biteco – 18 – Gremio
Liverpool scouts at the Toulon Tournament were particularly impressed with Brazilian defensive midfielder Matheus Biteco. The youngster’s price tag of £4m suggests he is being looked at as a direct back-up for Lucas Leiva.
After moving to Barra in 2015 he had loan spells back to Gremio and then to Hoffenheim. He joined Chapecoense in July 2016 and established himself as a starter in midfield. Aged just 21, Biteco was tragically killed in the LaMia Airlines Flight 2933 crash along with 70 other people including nearly the entirity of the Chapecoense playing squad.

Pedro Chirivella – 16 – Valencia
Valencia’s U17 captain Pedro Chirivella is said to be close to securing a move to Liverpool after his agents informed the club of his intention to leave. The Spanish side are loathe to lose their most outstanding talent though and are attempting to contest the deal in court, demanding £4m compensation.
Joined Liverpool in July 2013 and progressed through the ranks. Had loan spells with Go Ahead Eagles, Willem II and an ill fated six months with Extremadura where unfinished paperwork meant he was banned from playing by FIFA, which carried over to the following season where Liverpool where threatened with expulsion from the League Cup for fielding him as an "ineligible" player. Became a leader within the youth sides and played well in appearances across the 2019/20 season. Was offered a five year contract in May 2020 but opted to leave on a free transfer to join Nantes.

Yan Dhanda – 14 – West Bromwich Albion
YouTube sensation Yan Dhanda won himself a contract at West Brom through a TV show. Since then he has gone on to attract interest from Arsenal and Liverpool. Liverpool are understood to be the players preferred choice but negotiations are ongoing.
Joined Liverpool in 2014 but left to join Swansea in 2018 despite impressing through the youth levels. Scored on debut for Swansea but struggled for first team action for the rest of the season. Rotation option in 2019/20 and scored three times in thirteen appearances.

Diego Gonzales – 16 – Cadiz
Spanish left back Diego Gonzalez was taken on trial by Liverpool for a one week after making his first team debut for Cadiz. Although the Academy staff were impressed with the pacey defender they decided not to follow up their interest.
Transitioned to become a central defender and made five appearances for Spain U21s. Following a loan spell at Granada he was sold to Sevilla for £750k in 2015 and then moved to Malaga in 2017 for £2m. Estanlished himself as a regular starter in 2018/19.

Silvio Malkoc – 15 – NK Trje
Croatian midfielder Silvio Malkoc enjoyed a two-week trial at The Academy earlier this season following a strong of impressive performances for club and country at youth level. With Croatia officially joining the European Union on July 1st then Liverpool may rekindle their interest in the near future.
Joined Hajduk Split in 2013 and has since moved clubs almost every season playing for Croatian sides Maksimir, Sesvete, Vrbovec twice, Dugo Selo and now Medjimurec.

Kyle Gruno – 14 – USA National Team
Centre back Kyle Gruno spent most of this season touring Europe with the USA national U15 side. After a man of the match performance against both Real Madrid and Barcelona the New Jersey born defender, who holds an Italian passport, was invited for a 10 day trial at Liverpool.
Opted to join Leicester City but was released in 2017 and returned to the US with Portland Timbers. Joined Floridean USL2 side Treasure Coast Tritons in 2019.

Rodney Kongolo – 16 – Feyenoord
The Mirror reported in March that Liverpool were favourites for the signature of new Dutch wonderkid Rodney Kongolo for £1.5m. Since then however it appears Liverpool have turned their attention elsewhere and Man United look set to sign the highly rated midfielder.
Eventually moved to Manchester City in 2014 and had a loan spell to Doncaster in 2017. Failed to break through at Man City and joined Heerenveen in 2018. Has made 39 appearances and now linked with a move to Strasbourg.

Kevin Ray Mendoza – 18 – Viborg FF
Liverpool fought off competition from Manchester City and Arsenal to land Danish goalkeeper Kevin Ray Mendoza on trial. Although he was available for just £1m Liverpool have not followed up their interest following a two-week trial.
Has been on a tour of Danish clubs in the last seven years having signed for Kjellerup, Ringkobing, Thisted, Horsens and is now at second division side Koge where has kept five clean sheets in twenty seven appearances.

Sweeting

@Sweeting or anybody else who watches the youngsters regularly. Thoughts on how Billy Koumetio please?

I was under the impression that people didnt think he would make it here. Is that still the case or is he making bigger strides than was first thought?
I don't know who has been saying he won't make it here, I think he looks like a fabulous talent. He's tall, strong, quick, composed, good passer...

Looks a better prospect than van den Berg in my not-so-humble opinion.