• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
So, with Lewis probably out on loan next season and Larouci out. Will James Norris get U23 games or?
Has there been a falling out with Larouci or is he just after more game time?

From what ive seen he is little raw, and you can see the winger in him, when maybe he should be thinking a little more defensively, but overall he looks a decent player.

Joe Gomez x

From what ive seen he is little raw, and you can see the winger in him, when maybe he should be thinking a little more defensively, but overall he looks a decent player.
Heard he’s just looking for first team football obviously not available. Never really rated him at left back to be honest, not too worried about the departure

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

Just playing time. No likelyhood of breaking through here. Good luck to him.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Does anyone know what's Williams' current contract situation?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
what positions do Cain and Clarkson cover?
Yeah both 8s, though Ljinders has spoken of Clarkson as a '6'.

Clarkson picks a pass out nicely, Cain is dangerous from the edge of the box. Though those statements are true for both players.

Remains to be seen if they can handle the athleticism of senior football but technically they won't look out of place.

Nikola

Admin
Academy has produced a few technically gifted players over the last three years or so but I can't help the feeling that the lack of outstanding physical traits and fitness hindered their ability to make it at Liverpool/in Premier League. Wilson, Brannagan, Woodburn, Ejaria, Kane... Though I wouldn't be surprised if most of these became PL players, maybe even PL regulars at some point of their careers. Clarkson and Cain might be the next ones in that line, which is certainly not bad.

I'd love to see PL flooded with Liverpool graduates, to be honest, and hopefully that will mean that there will be a few more Alexander-Arnolds, Joneses, Williamses... I won't hide my envy of Man United's academy, aside from churning out players like Rashford and Greenwood, they have quite a lot of their former graduates in various PL clubs (it's very rare that I get to watch a PL match that doesn't feature one, even if on the bench). Hopefully Liverpool's academy will reach that level, it's in a good way at the moment, thankfully.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Academy has produced a few technically gifted players over the last three years or so but I can't help the feeling that the lack of outstanding physical traits and fitness hindered their ability to make it at Liverpool/in Premier League. Wilson, Brannagan, Woodburn, Ejaria, Kane... Though I wouldn't be surprised if most of these became PL players, maybe even PL regulars at some point of their careers. Clarkson and Cain might be the next ones in that line, which is certainly not bad.

I'd love to see PL flooded with Liverpool graduates, to be honest, and hopefully that will mean that there will be a few more Alexander-Arnolds, Joneses, Williamses... I won't hide my envy of Man United's academy, aside from churning out players like Rashford and Greenwood, they have quite a lot of their former graduates in various PL clubs (it's very rare that I get to watch a PL match that doesn't feature one, even if on the bench). Hopefully Liverpool's academy will reach that level, it's in a good way at the moment, thankfully.
I think its fair to envy utd on that front. It saved the career of Fergie once if not twice or more and may have given a significant boost under Ole when it was needed.

If we are to continue competing at the top we need quality coming through the academy to sell or use in our first team.

Plus, I always enjoy seeing players breakthrough at their respective clubs.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I think its fair to envy utd on that front. It saved the career of Fergie once if not twice or more and may have given a significant boost under Ole when it was needed.

If we are to continue competing at the top we need quality coming through the academy to sell or use in our first team.

It was one of the ironies of the game that Fergies job was saved by his predecessor , Ron Atkinson, who started their academy after Docherty had scrapped it and that academy saved Fergie barely a season later. I doubt if Fergie ever said than you.

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

We could have that with Elliot, Williams and Jones - They are all physically and technically at the level, just a bit of luck and injury avoidance etc.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

Inglethorpe's thoughts on Stewart from an interview with Neil Jones a few months ago.

“OK, a name,” Liverpool's Academy director says, fixing a stare. “Layton Stewart. Look out for him; he can be anything he wants to be.”

Nikola

Admin
Did Klopp give his medal to Elliott?

Nikola

Admin
Elliott was given his own one
I thought he didn't qualify for one, he even said something about it on social media when some fan asked him about it. The sight of these kids with gold medals around their necks made me genuinely proud, I only hope that there will be plenty more of those for them and they will have earned majority of them by the time their Liverpool careers are over.

Sweeting

I thought he didn't qualify for one, he even said something about it on social media when some fan asked him about it. The sight of these kids with gold medals around their necks made me genuinely proud, I only hope that there will be plenty more of those for them and they will have earned majority of them by the time their Liverpool careers are over.
He wasn't automatically eligible for one but the club gave him one of the 40 they were allocated.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Are we going to have anyone left in the U23's? We've promoted several to the first team, we;ll have some going out on loan perhaps and there will be some inevitably leaving...

Nikola

Admin
Was never going to make it after a major injury unfortunately. Didn't make a single appearance at U23 level this season.
Yeah, I didn't expect it as well, to be honest. I don't mean to sound evil because I wish nothing but the best to Liverpool players but he's not the first, nor the last Liverpool youngster who won't make it because of a heavy injury or a succession of them. That said, Jaroš, Koumetio and Glatzel fall into that group as well, yet I still harbour some hopes for them (for the former two at least, Glatzel's situation is more difficult because he had already had a leg break years before his ACL injury).

Mystryman01

Are we going to have anyone left in the U23's? We've promoted several to the first team, we;ll have some going out on loan perhaps and there will be some inevitably leaving...
Although many of these players have signed first team contracts, most of them will be playing in the U23's next season
Effectively the team that played against Shrewsbury and Aston Villa minus a few would be the U23's next season
Even if Williams, Jones are part of the first team every game next year
And the likes of Lewis, Millar, Lorouci leave on loan or are sold
They could still put a team out like:

Jaros
Hoever Van der Berg Boyes Norris
Dixon-Bonner Clarkson Cain
Elliot Hardy Longstaff

And theres still other people like Glatzel, Liam Coyle, Rhys Williams

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Yeah, I didn't expect it as well, to be honest. I don't mean to sound evil because I wish nothing but the best to Liverpool players but he's not the first, nor the last Liverpool youngster who won't make it because of a heavy injury or a succession of them. That said, Jaroš, Koumetio and Glatzel fall into that group as well, yet I still harbour some hopes for them (for the former two at least, Glatzel's situation is more difficult because he had already had a leg break years before his ACL injury).
Any idea what Glatzel's status is? Will he still be out in Aug/September whenever the new season starts ramping up?

Nikola

Admin
Any idea what Glatzel's status is? Will he still be out in Aug/September whenever the new season starts ramping up?
From a recent interview, I got the impression that he would be ready to train in pre-season - if there's a pre-season anymore!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I want to see an Elliot, Glatzel and Stewart front 3 next season.

Good to see the Clitheroe Thiago has signed a contract too, I think he'll get some more cup appearances next year.

Nikola

Admin
I want to see an Elliot, Glatzel and Stewart front 3 next season.

Good to see the Clitheroe Thiago has signed a contract too, I think he'll get some more cup appearances next year.
This took me a while, I thought it was a pun.