• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Sweeting

I find it incredible that Nat Phillips was deemed surplus to requirements at Bolton, he's looked brilliant since he got his chance
I love that Academy does things like check who Bolton are releasing and see if we can make anything from them. Apparebtly Phillips played a fair bit at FB for Bolton and we presumably have decided it was a misuse of his abilities.

Picked up players from Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and even Brentford in recent years and used them in a different way to try and get more from them. When you mix in our own products and a sprinkling of bought in talent it creates a very nice mix.

Limiescouse

I wonder if some of this is less to do with the chances said player has of making it with us, and more to do with putting together a youth side coherent enough that our prioritized players have a better chance of developing. I know the primary goal at this level isnt to win games, but as an example, if we are forced to play a make shift striker who doesnt do the right things, the development of the likes of Wilson and Woodburn, the guys setting up the striker, will likely suffer. It's not quite the same thing, but Barca B have recently gone through a change in attitude to embrace this idea and added career lower tier guys with no pretense of getting moved up in the system, but who were brought in to plug the gaps in the team and help their actual prospects develop better in games.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Really liked Brewster's first goal, nice touch and a beautiful strike. Also especially impressed with Wilson and Nat Philips, the boy looks class.Nice to see Grujic back, looked a bit sluggish though.

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I wonder if some of this is less to do with the chances said player has of making it with us, and more to do with putting together a youth side coherent enough that our prioritized players have a better chance of developing. I know the primary goal at this level isnt to win games, but as an example, if we are forced to play a make shift striker who doesnt do the right things, the development of the likes of Wilson and Woodburn, the guys setting up the striker, will likely suffer. It's not quite the same thing, but Barca B have recently gone through a change in attitude to embrace this idea and added career lower tier guys with no pretense of getting moved up in the system, but who were brought in to plug the gaps in the team and help their actual prospects develop better in games.
I was thinking that this maybe one of the reasons we were in no rush to let Stewart go.

Sweeting

It certainly was the idea under Borrell and McParland - my guess it is still the same today.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
It certainly was the idea under Borrell and McParland - my guess it is still the same today.
Under Rafa we had a dutch striker we had paid £1m for from Ajax i think, and most people who saw him didnt rate him at all, but he was kept around for quite a while and i think the reason given at the time was that above of giving some structure for the better youngsters to work with.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
My goodness Grujic looks like a big unit at the U23 level. Certainly a rusty performance going by the youtube video. But to be expected.

Brewster looks another exciting attacking talent coming through the system. He's only 16? Looks 3 steps quicker than anyone else already and has a yard eating stride when he gets going. Once he fills out a bit if he continues to develop could be the first striker to make the leap to the first team since.....Owen? Still a long wait and lots of hurdles before that happens though.

But it's great to see such a big pool of talented players coming through the system at the same time. Woodburn, Brewster, Ojo, TAA, and Wilson all have a shot at making it. Nothing is a sure thing, and maybe Woodburn has best shot, but surely the best crop of talent at the academy in 20ish some years. Not to mention the likes of Kent, Ibe, Sterling, Canos, etc. that either made the club a decent chunk of change or will do so. For the first time in a long time we are making money with academy players as well. I remember Man U selling youth products for years for nice sums while ours always seemed to fade into the background. I know they are investing money in youth at a young age and poaching talent from other academies, but it seems to be working.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
My goodness Grujic looks like a big unit at the U23 level. Certainly a rusty performance going by the youtube video. But to be expected.

Brewster looks another exciting attacking talent coming through the system. He's only 16? Looks 3 steps quicker than anyone else already and has a yard eating stride when he gets going. Once he fills out a bit if he continues to develop could be the first striker to make the leap to the first team since.....Owen? Still a long wait and lots of hurdles before that happens though.

But it's great to see such a big pool of talented players coming through the system at the same time. Woodburn, Brewster, Ojo, TAA, and Wilson all have a shot at making it. Nothing is a sure thing, and maybe Woodburn has best shot, but surely the best crop of talent at the academy in 20ish some years. Not to mention the likes of Kent, Ibe, Sterling, Canos, etc. that either made the club a decent chunk of change or will do so. For the first time in a long time we are making money with academy players as well. I remember Man U selling youth products for years for nice sums while ours always seemed to fade into the background. I know they are investing money in youth at a young age and poaching talent from other academies, but it seems to be working.
That YouTube video of Grujic left out some of his more glaring contributions as well - if it was supposed to show all his touches it fell short. At one point in the first half he picked up the ball in around the #6 position and TAA began to move into space ready to receive a pass to progress play up the pitch and Grujic sprayed a simple pass about 10 yards behind him towards the corner flag. It was embarrassing.

Brewster's reaction for his second (when Ojo's shot rebounded from the post) was even more impressive live. He also didn't stop running and making himself available whilst also not taking up the space that the likes of Ojo, Wilson and Woodburn wanted to run into.

Thought I'd rank the performances as I saw them...

Phillips 9
Brewster 9
Wilson 9
TAA 8
Grabara 8
Woodburn 7.5
Stewart 7
Ojo 7
Gomez 6.9
Randall 6.5
Grujic 4

Virtue 7.5 (for Grujic after an hour)
Gomes (not really on long enough)

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
OK. I googled Phillips LFC and was reading about an attacking mid named Adam Phillips...thought you were talking about someone else. Thanks Kop.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
OK. I googled Phillips LFC and was reading about an attacking mid named Adam Phillips...thought you were talking about someone else. Thanks Kop.
Yeah, that's Adam Phillips - he was really highly rated about two years ago, would pretty much 'run' games from midfield and very good with a deadball. Not sure what's going on with him though as he hasn't really been talked about for some time.

Sweeting

Yeah, that's Adam Phillips - he was really highly rated about two years ago, would pretty much 'run' games from midfield and very good with a deadball. Not sure what's going on with him though as he hasn't really been talked about for some time.
He is very injury prone unfortunately.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Under Rafa we had a dutch striker we had paid £1m for from Ajax i think, and most people who saw him didnt rate him at all, but he was kept around for quite a while and i think the reason given at the time was that above of giving some structure for the better youngsters to work with.
Jordy Brouwer. He was atrocious, a thoroughbred donkey.

The big Hugarian lad who came over with Nemeth (another striker) was also a big donkey.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Simon...the least Hungarian sounding Hungarian ever.
That's the lad. To his credit I think he was slightly better than Brouwer. Hansen in goal and Mendy at right back, also totally hopeless. Bruma, supposed to be a top talent signed from Real, another pointless player.

The standard of the academy has improved remarkably from those times.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Mendy actually ended up playing in Montenegrin first league if you'll believe it, moved in January.

Sweeting

That's the lad. To his credit I think he was slightly better than Brouwer. Hansen in goal and Mendy at right back, also totally hopeless. Bruma, supposed to be a top talent signed from Real, another pointless player.

The standard of the academy has improved remarkably from those times.
There was also a Brazilian guy whose name now escapes - might have been Vitor Flora but I'll have to check - who was so bad that we later admitted we signed him on the back of a short video clip and had never scouted him.

NickF

There was also a Brazilian guy whose name now escapes - might have been Vitor Flora but I'll have to check - who was so bad that we later admitted we signed him on the back of a short video clip and had never scouted him.
Yeah it was Vitor Flora! I remember being exited by the signing

NickF

We did have one promising young player around that time called Francisco Duran but he got a terrible injury and was never the same when he come back

Limiescouse

Plessis, I'm not sure I've ever rated one of our youth so highly who went on to do so little. When people were getting excited about Spearing in the youth/reserves I thought Plessis was not just the better player, but the one with the tools to better step up to senior football. And he's gone on to do nothing of note. From Greece where he didnt play at all to some time in Ligue 2 and a midtable Sweedish league side

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Plessis, I'm not sure I've ever rated one of our youth so highly who went on to do so little. When people were getting excited about Spearing in the youth/reserves I thought Plessis was not just the better player, but the one with the tools to better step up to senior football. And he's gone on to do nothing of note. From Greece where he didnt play at all to some time in Ligue 2 and a midtable Sweedish league side
I saw a couple of England schoolboy games at the old Wembley in 1992 (v Holland and v Italy). A couple of notable players in both teams but one of the ones that really stood out was Clinton Ellis. He looked so good but went on to achieve the square root of f.ck all.

For Liverpool and in more recent times then I was one of the ones that thought Pacheco was going to be absolutely brilliant. I generally think that players are written off/acclaimed as the 'next big thing' far far too early.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I saw a couple of England schoolboy games at the old Wembley in 1992 (v Holland and v Italy). A couple of notable players in both teams but one of the ones that really stood out was Clinton Ellis. He looked so good but went on to achieve the square root of f.ck all.

For Liverpool and in more recent times then I was one of the ones that thought Pacheco was going to be absolutely brilliant. I generally think that players are written off/acclaimed as the 'next big thing' far far too early.
Kane is proof of this. He didnt impress any of the clubs he went on loan to and perhaps has done more than even those in the Spurs Youth set up ever dreamed possible.

Limiescouse

It is one of the least appreciated realities that what it takes to thrive in the youth level is typically not what is required to be succesful with the first team. I always try and look at kids from that perspective, but even then it's a bit of a crap shoot to know who will make it.

NickF

Plessis did seem really talented I agree but he always seemed really laid back and was a little slow, it's a shame as he had the physical and technical attributes. The good thing about our talents now is they're performing on a consistent basis not in fits and spurts like a lot of our youth products have in the past and I think the reason for this is, not only are they more talented but they see a genuine chance of first team football if their performances deserve it

Limiescouse

Plessis did seem really talented I agree but he always seemed really laid back and was a little slow, it's a shame as he had the physical and technical attributes.
I agree, but I viewed that a positive back then. It seemed like he was good enough to make that much time for him, but then when he stepped up he seemed to not have an extra gear and the games just passed him by while he stood and watched.