• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Limiescouse

I dont think either of them have ever really expressed much of an interest in playing for England though.

NickF

I dont think either of them have ever really expressed much of an interest in playing for England though.
He was born in England and only qualifies for Wales through his grandad, surely if someone got in his ear he might be pursuaded to swap

Limiescouse

He was born in England and only qualifies for Wales through his grandad, surely if someone got in his ear he might be pursuaded to swap
Right, but that isnt what I said. Woodburn qualifies to play for England, is by most people's reckoning "English", but has always, for reasons that no one has to understand but himself, declared himself Welsh.

NickF

Right, but that isnt what I said. Woodburn qualifies to play for England, is by most people's reckoning "English", but has always, for reasons that no one has to understand but himself, declared himself Welsh.
Yeah I know you didn't mate. I just hope that England have tried to persuade him, knowing England no ones even asked him. Maybe it's beneficial to us him playing for Wales though, less pressure, less of the press building him up to knock him down

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Yeah I know you didn't mate. I just hope that England have tried to persuade him, knowing England no ones even asked him. Maybe it's beneficial to us him playing for Wales though, less pressure, less of the press building him up to knock him down
They've reached out a number of times.

Sweeting

Reports that Brooks Lennon has cancelled his contract appear to be misleading - his registration has been cancelled and the document used to site him ending his 'contract' contains several other player players on loan to non-English clubs... looks like there is not much to this apart from a misunderstanding of the document being reported from.

MarcusBerglund

https://www.premierleague.com/news/362197

The Premier League has sanctioned Liverpool FC in respect of the club’s approaches towards, and offer of inducements to, an Academy player registered with another club.

The Academy player concerned was previously registered at Stoke City FC. An application by Liverpool in September 2016 to register him, following Liverpool and Stoke agreeing compensation, was rejected by the Premier League Board due to an offer to pay the player’s private school fees.*

In an investigation following that rejection, the Premier League found evidence that Liverpool’s conduct prior to applying to register the player contravened League rules.

The League found evidence demonstrating regular communications between representatives of the club and members of the player’s family. This included hosting them at Anfield for a match with expenses paid and other efforts to encourage the player, via his family, to sign for Liverpool. League rules strictly prohibit the offer of any inducements to encourage a move.

Liverpool have cooperated with the Premier League’s inquiries in a timely and thorough manner and admitted the rule breaches asserted against them.

The club will pay a fine of £100,000 and will be prohibited from registering any Academy players who have been registered with a Premier League or EFL club in the preceding 18 months.

This ban will last for two years, with the second year suspended for a three-year period (to be activated in the event of any further similar breach by the club).

The Premier League will make no further comment on this matter.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Huh. We gave a kid and his family tickets to a game, and then the FA slapped us for it. I imagine every club out there down to the D2 sides are guilty of this. Oh well, the FA everyone! Apparently we can still sign first team youngsters like Ryan Ses...., the 16 yr old from Fulham. We'll have to poach all of Barca's youth for the next year sounds like.

kingoftown

Really good aimer.
While stupid, I don't think this will set us back that much and it is really only for a year unless we make another mistake in the second year. Meh.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
@Kopstar ... if I'm reading these sanctions correctly, we can still poach youngsters from abroad? The ban only applies to academy kids registered in England? Such a petty response from the FA for paying for travel so a dad and his 11 yr old son could travel and watch Liverpool play before he signed.

Another victim here is the kid, even if his situation was brought on by his parents ...he's now 13, isn't at Stoke, and can't register with any academies unless a club want to pay Stoke 49K. Absurd at this point.

Sweeting

Wow that's a bit more severe than I was expecting (although it sounds like we were clearly in the wrong here)

Of course the whole matter would be easier if we had just been allowed to pay his school fees but hey ho.

NickF

The u23s were 2-0 down away at Southampton with 15min left and Wilson grabbed a double to earn us a draw, the first a great finish the 2nd he missed a pen but put in the rebound

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member

NickF

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I should think not given how well he played. Only player who did what he attempted to do in the passage of play that led to their goal (ran back 20 yards and tackle someone)

Makati Red

Banned Users
Wilson has to get his chance soon surely? What's that 30 goals?
ID be interested to know how far behind Woodburn he is looks a real talent and i guess the club has big decisions aboutvwhat to do wi5h him next season

SF Red

TIA Regular

NickF

ID be interested to know how far behind Woodburn he is looks a real talent and i guess the club has big decisions aboutvwhat to do wi5h him next season
He's a different player to Woodburn really, Ben can cover a number of positions so that's why he's on the bench over Wilson

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
He's a different player to Woodburn really, Ben can cover a number of positions so that's why he's on the bench over Wilson
If you consider 26-29 as peak years, then Wilson has 6 more and Woodburn has 9 or 10 more years before peaking. But we don't have that kind of time. Even then, normally speaking, Wilson should be afforded next 2 years to claim a squad place and then further 2 more years to cement a first team place. Lad is just 20. Woodburn should be given next 4 years for squad place and then 2 more for first team place. Just 16/17 year old.
But we dont do normal.
Still it's not a make or break season for Wilson/Woodburn for atleast 2 more seasons.