Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Nikola, Jun 30, 2015.

1. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

Congratulations to the U23s on their Senior Cup win. Also of course to Ben Woodburn on scoring his first full International goal for Wales. Excellent finish.

CymruRed and redfanman like this.
  2. won it at-a-turk stadium

won it at-a-turk stadium TIA Regular

Official UEFA stream of the UEFA Youth League match v Sevilla

Scheduled for Sep 13, 2017 LIVE coverage of Liverpool FC vs. Sevilla FC in the UEFA Youth League. This group stage match kicks off at 18:00 (5pm UK)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Irishanfield likes this.
  3. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

4. Irishanfield

Irishanfield Well-Known Member

The young lads showing the way

Leading 3-0 at h/t

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  5. spooky

spooky TIA New Signing

Who's scored?

6. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Are there any defenders playing well? No reason.... Just wondering like.... No reason at all....

treboeth likes this.
  7. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

2 from Curtis Jones and 1 from Herbie Kane. Masterson just scored our 4th.

TFC and Irishanfield like this.
  8. spooky

spooky TIA New Signing

Cheers

9. Irishanfield

10. costared

Good all round performance from the lads. Brilliant run by Millar to lay on the first. Slick finishing by Jones for 2 and a good performance at CB by Masterson topped off by a goal. Grabara rarely tested but when he was he was ready. A very promising young keeper. Woodburn played his part with a good cross for the second and dropped into MF to make us more solid there in the second half.

11. cynicaloldgit

cynicaloldgit Well-Known Member

Early days, of course, but several of the youngsters look like they could be future first team squad members. I'd be disappointed if Grabara, Masterson and Tagseth didn't get a chance to join Brewster and Woodburn on the fringes of the senior squad over the next year or two.

12. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

At least we won the important one.

13. costared

U18s play Middlesborough in the cup today. Anyone know if there are any stream? Does not seem to be on LFCTV which is disappointing.

14. ILLOK

Is there ever a stream on LFCTV? It seems like every time I go to watch it they're not showing the game.

15. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

Went up for the game today. Liverpool won 4-3.

Liam Millar x3 and one excellent goal Rafa Camacho weaving past two men and placing it into the bottom corner.

Edvard Tagseth was the best player on the field although Millar, Camacho and centre back Anthony Glennon had good games. First time I had seen Glennon, very confident defender didnt put a foot wrong all game and has a terrific passing range on him.

The goals we conceded came from not being tight enough to their forwards in the penalty area and allowing free shots - both Adam Lewis (who was electric going forwards) and Jordan Hunter were exposed a fair few times.

Liverpool overall deserved the win and it should have been more comfortable than 4-3.

16. Sweeting

U23s currently 2-0 up against West Ham. Harry Wilson with both of them.

Grabara; Whelan, Masterson, Phillips, Johnston; Kane, Virtue-Thick, Brannagan; Brewster, Wilson, Ejaria

Kelleher; Jones, Juanma, Adekanye, Dhanda

Wilson is dominating the game, running with power and purpose everytime he gets the ball. Looks like hes going to score consistently.

A few guys not in the squad there - Ings and Woodburn notably who will presumably be in the first team tomorrow.

auzziez and ILLOK like this.
  17. Sweeting

Herbie Kane has a bit of Arjen Robben about him... not in terms of playing style - I mean hairline. Probably the oldest looking 18 year old I've seen for Liverpool!

18. ILLOK

What about that centre back we used to have. Think he was called Joe something? Played with Ayala for the u18s (I think). He was absolutely massive, looked about 30 at 15/16 years old and he was also fairly abysmal lol

Anyway, serious question, how good do you think Masterson is?

19. Sweeting

Joe Kennedy? Now you mention him I've lost track of his career, I know he was in the Welsh leagues at some point while studying for a degree.

Tough to say on Masterson to be honest - I don't feel like centre backs can be properly judged at this level (unless they're getting destroyed). He's the most talented CB in our youth ranks - I don't think there can be much debate about that - but what that actually means isn't so clear when someone like Klavan would cruise through an U23s game no problems.

Really it will be about how he does if/when he goes on loan - hopefully he doesnt stall in the way Lloyd Jones did.

ILLOK likes this.
  20. Sweeting

Adekayne, Juanma and Dhanda have come on replacing Brewster, Johnston and Brannagan.

Interesting season for both Adekanye and Juanma - neither have managed to stay fit for any amount of time and therefore haven't made a mark on the club yet but Adekayne in particular is incredibly talented. If it clicks for him one day he could be a terrific player.

21. ILLOK

Kennedy! That's the guy.

I completely agree with the second paragraph, that's why I asked. I've got absolutely no idea how he will step up. I never really rated Jones myself, always looked a bit clumsy to me, Masterson looks a hell of a lot better. Much better on the ground anyway, couldn't give an honest opinion of how he is in the air.

22. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

I saw a bit of Nat Phillips last year who looked very good - you rate Masterson above him though?

23. Sweeting

Yeah, Phillips is a solid defender from what I've seen, strong in the air and very good in 1v1 situations, but I think he has some clear limitations when it comes to being in possession where he doesn't have the confidence or ability to do more than the bare minimum. Masterson doesn't really have an area of his game that I would call weak - or at least not one that has been shown up at U23s level.

Phillips is definitely interesting as a prospect as if we made a player out of him that would be a success above that of even Kevin Stewart's rise given where he came from.

24. Sweeting

I think part of difficulty in judging our defenders is that this team is never under any pressure and tend to just cruise their way through matches feeding the ball into midfield.

Dan Cleary - a similar player to Nat Phillips - looked very good for that reason here but you always felt he didn't have the edge to kick on. Masterson is definitely a level above Cleary but he will almost certainly have to prove it on loan before long if he was ever to make the first team.

25. Sweeting

Game finished 2-0. Should have been 5/6-0 but we missed a few sitters in the second half.

Irishanfield likes this.
  26. Irishanfield

Was definitely the most onesided 2-0 I've seen in a while.
    5 wins out of 5 for the u23's:well done:

27. costared

Should be an opportunity to pick up a few youngsters from Huddersfield as they are downgrading their Academy. With Klopp being so close to David Wagner surely we would be pointed in the right direction. A couple of their youngsters have represented England in youth games so the level should be O.K.

28. Sweeting

We took Marley Blair from there recently

29. costared

Anyone know what time the U23 s kick off against Spurs today and if it is on lfctv or any tv?
    The official site does not give this info for this game for some reason.

30. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member