Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Sweeting

I thought Spartak looked a decent side. Certainly better than us on the day. They were well organised and competitive at the back and went forward with quick forward passing. They won more than their share of 50/50 tackles and were far more direct than we were. We have to many players with restricted passing ranges due to being one footed
To be fair to our lads they did look as if they were a bit jaded by the journey and never showed the flair and sharp edge that they have done in league games. I know they have all performed better than they have today but the amount of tackles lost is a concern. If Mastersons sending off is considered a straight red we are struggling for a CB for the next 3 Euro games.
The fact that Spartak lost to Maribor does not auger well for our knock out stage chances.
I wouldn't worry too much, Sevilla beat Maribor today and we beat Sevilla 4-0.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Hopefully the never say die Istanbul mentality of its never over til it's over

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Was at Lendava yesterday watching our boys winning 1-4, after being 1 down mainly through Grabara's mistake with a high ball. We played a 3 at the back, looked mainly like a 3-4-3. Adekanye had a good game, Woodburn showed some quality touches, operating in a midfield duo which was again maybe a bit new to him, vision and passes to get out from tight situations. I know it was a weakened side, they missed a couple of key players. Jones was a bit quiet, lost some challenges and possession. Rafa Camacho was lively as a right wing back (which I believe isn't his position, he's more of a central midfielder right?), showing energy put in some nice crosses. Our central CB of the 3, Johnston, was a bit shaky and at fault for their penalty which was saved by Grabara (wasn't a good shot either). Driscoll-Glennon (not the biggest) looked tidy at LCB, used both feet in build up, nice receiving and selection of passes, wasn't beaten, calm and composed (plus, black boots and his shirt tucked in is always a bonus in my books haha!).

Last edited:

Sweeting

Was at Lendava yesterday watching our boys winning 1-4, after being 1 down mainly through Grabara's mistake with a high ball. We played a 3 at the back, looked mainly like a 3-4-3. Adekanye had a good game, Woodburn showed some quality touches, operating in a midfield duo which was again maybe a bit new to him, vision and passes to get out from tight situations. I know it was a weakened side, they missed a couple of key players. Jones was a bit quiet, lost some challenges and possession. Rafa Camacho was lively as a right wing back (which I believe isn't his position, he's more of a central midfielder right?), showing energy put in some nice crosses. Our central CB of the 3, Williams, was a bit shaky and at fault for their penalty which was saved by Grabara (wasn't a good shot either). Driscoll-Glennon (not the biggest) looked tidy at LCB, used both feet in build up, nice receiving and selection of passes, wasn't beaten, calm and composed (plus, black boots and his shirt tucked in is always a bonus in my books haha!).
Glennon looks a good player, first year U18 but stood out for his composure whenever I've seen him.

Camacho has been playing as a winger this season (though certainly not wing back, so still a change of role).

Sweeting

U18s drawing 2-2 with West Brom at half time. Curtis Jones and Adam Lewis (pen) have scored.

Team is: Jaros; Hunter, R. Williams, Glennon, Lewis; Dixon-Bonner, Glatzel, Jones; Camacho, Longstaff, McAuley

Subs: B. Williams; Clayton, Raitanen, Sharif, Millar

Sweeting

How do you rate Millar? Looks really good every time I've seen him. Lots of pace and seems to score plenty.
Yeah he seems a good prospect, absolute goal machine but contributes to build up play also. Closes down well too and makes good decisions in possession.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Yeah he seems a good prospect, absolute goal machine but contributes to build up play also. Closes down well too and makes good decisions in possession.
And it's that last line that pleases me most to hear. So often have goal scorers in youth teams that peter out as they lack that instinctive game intelligence

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Any live streams for the U18 match at West Ham today?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
The u23s beat Bristol City 7-0 the other day btw, Ings scored 4.

Playing Newcastle in 5 minutes. Haven't seen the team yet but I think Ings and Brewster are starting.

Edit: No Ings. Quite a young team sent out today.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
1-1 at half time. Similar to first team games, Newcastle have come here just to sit in and defend.

Matty Virtue made a sloppy mistake to allow them to score, but made up for it later on with a goal.

A few good performances, Brewster has worked hard, Adekanye and Ejaria have had their moments, but the player who has impressed the most is Dhanda. Real quality from out wide, good skill in tight places. Reminds me of a right footed Suso.

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
The kid can look imperious with the ball, almost Yaya Toure-level of self-confidence, but I think that Liverpool's coaches are probably frustrated by his, how to put it, lethargic approach to playing. He's one of those eye-pleasing football players who look like they don't need coaching, just play them in their strongest role, give them the ball and let them do everything by themselves. He won't be getting at Liverpool or anywhere else, of course. Motivation is key for kids like him, if someone manages to light a fire in his belly, Liverpool will have a seriously good football player. Hopefully he starts believing that he can score and assist more than he usually does, too - he just doesn't release the ball timely, in my opinion - in addition to being more focused on team play and pressing.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Dhanda makes it 4-0 with a cracker.

The gulf in quality here between these sides is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.