Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Forgot to watch it but just seen the goals - Adam Lewis looks handy from corners (2 directly and 1 indirectly scored from his delivery).

Sigurvegari

TIA New Signing
I thought the same when rumours of Moreno's new contract started emerging - that would suggest that Klopp won't buy a new left back and Lewis is the next in line for promotion.
With the same background as TAA. Ultra-attacking full back, usually used as midfielder due to his passing range and crossing. But i think it is one year too early for him yet.

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
Always a shame to see the released list and all the names you had hoped would breakthrough here :-(
Yeah, I had huge hopes for Dhanda and Adekanye but Neil Jones said that both will most likely be released in the summer. I think both had sponsorship deals with companies like Nike and Adidas at very young age, it shows just that there are really no guarantees in youth football even for the most heralded.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Yeah, I had huge hopes for Dhanda and Adekanye but Neil Jones said that both will most likely be released in the summer. I think both had sponsorship deals with companies like Nike and Adidas at very young age, it shows just that there are really no guarantees in youth football even for the most heralded.
Dhanda was refusing to sign a contract, highly doubt he was released based on his performances.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Where's the full list?
I saw the names in an article on the TIA site. Can't give a link as on my phone but it was Dhanda in particular I was surprised over, but perhaps we are now finding ourselves in the odd position of consistently developing young talent but losing them so they get guaranteed starts - the trend for players to move to Germany is particularly quite interesting.

Sweeting

Yan Dhanda, Jordan Williams, Bobby Adekanye, Shamal George, Toni Gomes and Paulo Alves set to leave according to the main site. Nathaniel Phillips will sign a new contract, quite a rise for him after being let go from Bolton 12 months ago.

Rhian Brewster likely to go to Monchengladbach having refused a new contract. Will get more first team chances there.

Dhanda has agreed to sign for Swansea, so looks like he left for first team opportunities which is fair enough.

Jordan Williams should get himself a decent League One/Two club having previously proven himself at that level.

Bobby Adekanye hasn't really established himself the way someone so talented should have done. His next move will be very interesting - could see a move back to Spain on the cards.

Shamal George will likely be heading for a back up role in the EFL or out to the Conference.

Toni Gomes struggled at Forest Green on loan but he may be an interesting project for a Championship level U23 team to see if they can get something out of him.

Paulo Alves was never really seen as a first team prospect, would be surprised if he stayed in England and going back to Portugal would seem viable.

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
Dhanda was refusing to sign a contract, highly doubt he was released based on his performances.
Thanks, I didn't know that, thought he was getting released. I hope he will be doing well at Championship, these kids are reaching bigger levels now that their counterparts from ten years ago, great job from the academy.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Wasn't a big fan of Adekanye anyway (something Ibesque, a fantastic athlete which seems to help him a lot at that level, but didn't have a strong feeling about him), but good luck to all of them. We're fans here, not professional coaches. These are young players who can either take longer to do well elsewhere or unfortunately suddenly drop lower and lower. Hard to judge and especially predict apart from a few standouts every now and again. So it's normal that every year we'll react with "oh, what a shame" over a few of them. The key at the end of the day is that the academy works well and keeps providing players, even if some of them leave a bit earlier than expected because the level we're competing at, it's simply impossible to give everyone the same chance, they have to earn it. What we can do is to give them top education in different fields and a better chance to succeed elsewhere if not here. Hopefully we keep that culture going (and beyong Klopp, whenever that is) as we also have a manager who has proved he can work with the young ones who earn it.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Dhanda's fee will be determined by Tribunal if a fee cannot be agreed with Swansea. No fee for players not offered terms.

Redopium

Yan Dhanda, Jordan Williams, Bobby Adekanye, Shamal George, Toni Gomes and Paulo Alves set to leave according to the main site. Nathaniel Phillips will sign a new contract, quite a rise for him after being let go from Bolton 12 months ago.

Rhian Brewster likely to go to Monchengladbach having refused a new contract. Will get more first team chances there.

Dhanda has agreed to sign for Swansea, so looks like he left for first team opportunities which is fair enough.

Jordan Williams should get himself a decent League One/Two club having previously proven himself at that level.

Bobby Adekanye hasn't really established himself the way someone so talented should have done. His next move will be very interesting - could see a move back to Spain on the cards.

Shamal George will likely be heading for a back up role in the EFL or out to the Conference.

Toni Gomes struggled at Forest Green on loan but he may be an interesting project for a Championship level U23 team to see if they can get something out of him.

Paulo Alves was never really seen as a first team prospect, would be surprised if he stayed in England and going back to Portugal would seem viable.
Phillips looks a very good prospect, the three players that stood out for me was Grabara, Phillips and Wilson.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial

Sweeting

Mich'el Parker, big strong centre half, quite quick and maybe not great positionally. Wouldn't be shocked if he shows up back in London - likes of Brentford or Charlton could be interesting moves as they are good at bringing through young players.

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-set-release-three-players-14669098

Says we didn't offer Dhanda a contract, but will collect a 20% sell on fee if he moves from Swans. Also signing someone named Isaac Christie-Davies from Chelsea, but I have no idea who that is. Had a trial with us earlier in the year apparently.
I like that approach. It's a compromise because were LFC to offer a contract then they would be entitled to compensation if he left at the end of his current deal to go elsewhere which, in my opinion, is tantamount to unlawful restraint of trade. However, LFC must have reached an irrevocable agreement with Dhanda that he would ensure a 20% sell on clause was included in his terms at a new club in consideration for the club not seeking to retain a financial value in him once he became out of contract.

I have been arguing for some time that arrangements on these lines is how all transfers of out of contract players under the age of 24 should proceed rather than the current system which is unlawful.

Sweeting

Quite interesting to see that the Irish league is currently packed with former Liverpool youth players, must be seen as a nice place to rebuild your career - and Dundalk's european run a couple of years ago probably brought some investment to the league.

Redopium