• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

auzziez

He was a star player in 5th tier division team. In a club that was relegated. After conceding 79 goals (2nd worst).
And we resign him again (?) hoping for another (pointless) loan or (best case scenario) sale plan? Very suspicious for me, sorry.
Or is it possible that the club thinks it is worth paying a couple of grands a week to have him in our books until they can secure his long term future at another club/league best suited to his talent level?
This lads tweet suggests he has been with the club for 11 years now. If the people who see him day in day out think he is a kid that deserves another shot at resurrecting his career, then why not?

PS: Sorry I should have written Instagram posts rather than tweets.

Sweeting

Or is it possible that the club thinks it is worth paying a couple of grands a week to have him in our books until they can secure his long term future at another club/league best suited to his talent level?
This lads tweet suggests he has been with the club for 11 years now. If the people who see him day in day out think he is a kid that deserves another shot at resurrecting his career, then why not?

PS: Sorry I should have written Instagram posts rather than tweets.
He is definitely not on £2k a week either. I would be shocked if he is on more than £25k a year.

auzziez

He is definitely not on £2k a week either. I would be shocked if he is on more than £25k a year.
Yup. I read your post about him being on pittance. Even with an exaggerated 2k per week, I don't see why the club wouldn't try to resign and help a kid who has been around for 11 years.
All I can see a genuine cause rather than a conspiracy here

Sigurvegari

TIA New Signing
until they can secure his long term future at another club/league best suited to his talent level?
This is the bold part of the statement. If the best club for 21 year goalkeeper according to his talent level was relegated from 5th tier competition Chester, then it had to be a serious alarm?
Or maybe it is/was better to keep Vigouroux, Fulton, George, Ward, Grabara, Kelleher? Because they all have beaten Firth for places in U18 and U23. You should play games to earn even 2k a week.
It is football club you know. Competitive in all departments. I hope...
Glennon, Hunter, Whyte, Parker - they all were released. Why shouldn't club care about their long-term future and present them new minimal contracts too?

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
My guess is that he's being kept around to make up the numbers. You need a squad even in the academy and you definitely need people you can practise shooting against and one-on-one's. He may even have been earmarked for developing as a coach. Many footballers who don't quite make the grade want to stay in football as a coach, analyst, scout, physiotherapist whatever. It may also allow Grabara to go out on loan. I've got no issues with the club keeping him around.

Sweeting

My guess is that he's being kept around to make up the numbers. You need a squad even in the academy and you definitely need people you can practise shooting against and one-on-one's. He may even have been earmarked for developing as a coach. Many footballers who don't quite make the grade want to stay in football as a coach, analyst, scout, physiotherapist whatever. It may also allow Grabara to go out on loan. I've got no issues with the club keeping him around.
Just done some digging and you're absolutely right. Firth has been identified as a guy they want to move into coaching with the club and he already does a lot of work with the younger age groups.

Looks like his contract is as a player/coach. It is likely we will see him stay as a coach for half a year then head out of loan. In his own words he is too young to give up the dream of playing just yet but he knows his future is in coaching.

Sigurvegari

TIA New Signing
Thanks for this insight. Now lets hope he becomes more of Richie Partridge, than John (sorry i don't rate him) Achterberg.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Anthony Glennon-Driscoll has signed for Burnley.
Good luck to the kid, liked him in the Maribor v Liverpool youth game. Camacho also played very well that day at RWB. He seems like an interesting prospect and the fact that he can cover quite a few positions might help him getting a chance if he continues improving and knocks on the door.

Sweeting

Good luck to the kid, liked him in the Maribor v Liverpool youth game. Camacho also played very well that day at RWB. He seems like an interesting prospect and the fact that he can cover quite a few positions might help him getting a chance if he continues improving and knocks on the door.
Yeah I was a bit surprised Glennon was released as I thought he looked a very tidy prospect but perhaps he thought he has better chances at Burnley than breaking in here.

Agree on Camacho, particularly as a wing back. I focused on him at the end of the season as his form was superb, however he is absolutely woeful infront of goal. Always thought that would hinder his development as proving you can deliver results and be clinical is something the 1st team look at closely. As a RWB he wouldn't have the same pressure but can still be skilfull and powerful.

I doubt how much of a chance he will get as we are fairly loaded in that position but that is where I see his career progressing.

OxnKraeuterberg

Hi, can anybody tell me where Conor Masterson is? Was left out of the 26-man squad for pre-season, but was in the Champions League squad just 2 months ago... Just makes no sense to me?! Does anybody have a clue?

Sweeting

Hi, can anybody tell me where Conor Masterson is? Was left out of the 26-man squad for pre-season, but was in the Champions League squad just 2 months ago... Just makes no sense to me?! Does anybody have a clue?
Probably has an injury.

Sweeting

Under 18s beat Burton Albion 4-0 in the first pre-season game of the season. Fidel O'Rourke (x2), Paul Glatzel and Tom Clayton in the scoresheet.

Liam Millar is likely to join Sunderland on a permanent transfer. He is wanted by the club but lots of competition between him and the first team so probably a wise decision to go for more first team chances elsewhere.

Taiwo Awoniyi looks set to join Monaco on a two year loan. He scored 10 goals for Mouscron last season in Belgium and would be immediately in their first team squad.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Monaco, interesting. Is that their tactic of taking him on loan, not playing him enough for our needs (I know you can put clauses about game time in) and then signing him (like they do now, mainly young players in, Jardim to work with them, keep them competitive and look for profit of future sales)? Shame that we can't even see him in pre-season what's he's like. Considering our other backup striker options, you feel like it's a chance for "anyone" to put some serious work in and maybe earn a place in the 22-26 squad.

Sweeting

Spanish winger Angel Sanchez, who trialled with us at the end of last season and scored on his 'debut', has signed for Espanyol. Liverpool did not follow up the trial with an offer.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial

Sweeting

Twitter is truely cancerous. The responses to a 20 year old lad getting a new contract are pathetic!

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Twitter is truely cancerous. The responses to a 20 year old lad getting a new contract are pathetic!
I think Kanu described him vehemently as future of Nigerian football, and while I'm a bit reserved because I tend to get carried about Liverpool youth players myself, I think there's something about this lad that might see him become a decent option, especially if he's on Monaco's radar - now that sounds promising even though they had a poor season. From limited viewing, he reminds me a bit of Origi, only with a fair bit of passion for football. If he manages to develop that while Klopp is still at Liverpool's helm...

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
I think Kanu described him vehemently as future of Nigerian football, and while I'm a bit reserved because I tend to get carried about Liverpool youth players myself, I think there's something about this lad that might see him become a decent option, especially if he's on Monaco's radar - now that sounds promising even though they had a poor season. From limited viewing, he reminds me a bit of Origi, only with a fair bit of passion for football. If he manages to develop that while Klopp is still at Liverpool's helm...
I'm assuming he has trouble with work permits, which is why he's only ever been on loan? Any idea when he'll be eligible to actually work in England?

Nikola

Admin
I'm assuming he has trouble with work permits, which is why he's only ever been on loan? Any idea when he'll be eligible to actually work in England?
I don't know a thing about laws but he's ineligible for that work permit, that's right. Still, his trajectory has so far been better than Allan's, who has the same problem.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Unfortunately at this rate he, like Allan, won't become eligible within the period of their contracts unless there's a change to the criteria.

Sweeting

Rhian Brewster and Taiwo Awoniyi both locked down long term today.

Brewster will apparently get first team football this season.

Awoniyi heading back out on loan.

Nikola

Admin
Unfortunately at this rate he, like Allan, won't become eligible within the period of their contracts unless there's a change to the criteria.
What exactly do you mean by that, mate (assuming Awoniyi just signed a five year deal)? Would playing Champions League football abroad change that or he has to play a certain amount of games for the national team?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
What exactly do you mean by that, mate (assuming Awoniyi just signed a five year deal)? Would playing Champions League football abroad change that or he has to play a certain amount of games for the national team?
I don't think either will play enough games in top leagues and competitions to accumulate the necessary points to be successful on appeal (for a visa). Just my feel on it.

jackh1092

Camacho, Jones + Woodburn can't all make it can they?

They all look very decent to me :celebrating:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Andy Firth has left the club after 11 years to sign for Barrow A.F.C.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Nat Phillips has done well, considering his story and how he ended up here. Although it's hard to judge any defender in these kind of games where there's basically no (real) defending. But on the ball he's been decent so far.

Sweeting

U18s beat MTK Budapest U18s 2-0. Paul Glatzel scored both.

U23s drew 1-1 with FC Gyor. Glen McAuley scored.