Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

kopinator14

Miller has the potential to become a top player and he's already capped at international level with Canada!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
To be honest, I haven't been overly impressed either. Glatzel is the one to watch. He was also involved in that session, but he's not Gerrard's cousin...
Doubt he was called to train with the seniors because he is related to someone. More likely that sometimes it's hard to tell which youth players have the most promise. Especially at this age.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Doubt he was called to train with the seniors because he is related to someone. More likely that sometimes it's hard to tell which youth players have the most promise. Especially at this age.
No, of course not. I should have clarified.

The echo have made that headline about Bobby Duncan simply because he's Gerrard's cousin. In my opinion Coyle, Lewis and Glatzel are all better prospects than Duncan. Not sure I remember seeing Atherton play (probably have but haven't taken any notice) so that's an interesting one.

Sweeting

No, of course not. I should have clarified.

The echo have made that headline about Bobby Duncan simply because he's Gerrard's cousin. In my opinion Coyle, Lewis and Glatzel are all better prospects than Duncan. Not sure I remember seeing Atherton play (probably have but haven't taken any notice) so that's an interesting one.
I don't think Atherton has ever played at U18 level. He is there purely to make up the numbers and is often the reserve goalkeeper.

The article is kind of misleading, or at least the headline is, he was simply selected in the future group which is a weekly rotation. Some of the guys who went to Melwood this week have very little chance to go further - Coyle, Atherton and Virtue for example were all included and if they make it here it will simply be because we have been relegated to League One.

Sweeting

Just got back from the U23s defeat to Derby.

Very similar performance to the 1sts - midfield was largely bypassed and was functional but not creative or capable of retaining possession/building pressure.

Having said that both Virtue and Christie-Davies scored but trust me it was a strange performance.

Redopium

Just got back from the U23s defeat to Derby.

Very similar performance to the 1sts - midfield was largely bypassed and was functional but not creative or capable of retaining possession/building pressure.

Having said that both Virtue and Christie-Davies scored but trust me it was a strange performance.
Defeat was harsh, G. Johnson was excellent throughout.

Kelleher, Williams, Lewis, Johnson, Juanma, Chirivella, Camacho, Viture, Millar, Christie-Davies, Woodburn

Subs: McAulley, McKenzie-Lyle, Gallacher, Tagseth

Sweeting

Defeat was harsh, G. Johnson was excellent throughout.

Kelleher, Williams, Lewis, Johnson, Juanma, Chirivella, Camacho, Viture, Millar, Christie-Davies, Woodburn

Subs: McAulley, McKenzie-Lyle, Gallacher, Tagseth
Ultimately I just don't think our current U23 team is particularly good.

Aside from Lewis, Camacho and Woodburn I struggle to see anyone from today's match threatening the first team and the three mentioned are not sure fire first team squad members either as they all have significant holes in their games.

Transitional year for the U23s while they wait for Brewster to be fit again and the likes of Glatzel, Dixon-Bonner, Larouci & Tagseth to move into the squad.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Great pity the U 23s are struggling this season. Success breeds success and players will improve quicker in a winning team with high morale.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Is Woodburn in the squad a different one from Ben? He's on loan (but not getting games)?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
XI vs Red Star:

Jaros, R. Willams, Clarkson, Clayton, N. Williams, Jones, Cain, Lewis, Adekanye, Camacho, Glatzel

Kelly, Boyes, Hoever, Dixon-Bonner, Longstaff, Larouci, Duncan

costared

TIA Reserve Team
No streams?

Just my question. I am a paid up member of LFCtv etc but they wont let me watch it as I live abroad. Think I will cancel my subscription as Youth coverage has been poor this season and I can get first team coverage anywhere.

Redopium

Grabara, N. Williams, Lewis, Johnson, Juanma, Chirivella, Adekayne, Virtue, Millar, Jones, Camacho
Subs: Mckenzie-Lyle, McAulley, Masterson, Christie-Davies, gallacher.

Lost 2-1 to Blackburn tonight.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Lewis hit the bar and the post with two free kicks in the game.

Lewis was clearly our best player last night and frankly the only one who looked a possible future first team player. Played like a team of eunuchs for the first half hour but gradually improved and dominated the second half. Denied a clear pen yet Blackburn were awarded a pen that clearly was not a foul but Grabara saved it.

Guardian

Banned Users
An unacceptable performance. The coach needs to build his team around future star Curtis Jones. The other lot should be playing to him instead of leaving him standing in space with no one near him. They need to be told. Buck up or get out.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
So you are Curtis jones' parent or agent? We dont build team around 1 player anymore at first team level. And definitely should not be doing so at youth level.

Guardian

Banned Users
So you are Curtis jones' parent or agent? We dont build team around 1 player anymore at first team level. And definitely should not be doing so at youth level.
A lot of coaches would disagree with that outlook. And as we all should know: that level of club football is ALL ABOUT PRODUCING TOP QUALITY PLAYERS FOR THE SENIOR TEAM!!!

spitfire24

A lot of coaches would disagree with that outlook. And as we all should know: that level of club football is ALL ABOUT PRODUCING TOP QUALITY PLAYERS FOR THE SENIOR TEAM!!!
The problem with u23s football is that it's u23s football. The UK has it wrong there they need to copy the Spanish and Portuguese systems where the reserve team plays in a competitive league a few division down.

The lads need consistent 1st team football(even if on loan) in an environment were they experience the day to day of fighting for your job, competing for your spot not being given a spot because u train with the first team.

I will say this again Curtis is a real talent there is no doubt of that but he has to try to influence the game more. IMHO he is playing too deep for the u23s he is currently playing more like an 8. He is best playing either in behind the 9(in the 10) or on the left in the 11.

That being said I think with the talent that team has they are def under performing and again IMHO they are not playing with enough freedom. IT is all too predictable to rigid almost formulaic easy to defend. I sat with 3 other scout at the game vs Blackburn and they all said the same thing.
No one seems to want to break the lines and play a ball forward for fear of loosing possession. Players like Curtis and Rafa and Bobby and even Liam need to express themselves and they look stiffled to me.

If I was the manager I would work on getting the ball forward as quick as possibleand yes like you said getting it to Curtis in the final third and then see what he can really do. At the moment it all a little too sideways and backwards...

Sweeting

Curtis Jones is also the youngest member of the team and is still eligible for U18 football.
I don't mind him not dominating these fixtures just yet.
My expectation is that he will grow into a role where he is a key figure this season and be joined in the U23s squad by the likes of Edvard Tagseth, Yasser Larouci, Paul Glatzel and Elijah Dixon-Bonner at the end of the season. All of whom are improvements over their comparative U23 player.

The U18s will in turn reload with Jake Cain, Fidel O'Rourke, Leighton Clarkson and Remi Savage becoming regulars. Dal Varesanovic has also gained clearance this summer but I haven't seen him feature so he could be an option.

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
That being said I think with the talent that team has they are def under performing and again IMHO they are not playing with enough freedom. IT is all too predictable to rigid almost formulaic easy to defend. I sat with 3 other scout at the game vs Blackburn and they all said the same thing.
No one seems to want to break the lines and play a ball forward for fear of loosing possession. Players like Curtis and Rafa and Bobby and even Liam need to express themselves and they look stiffled to me.
Who do you scout for then?