Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Redopium

Grabara, N. Williams, Lewis, Johnson, Juanma, Chirivella, Adekayne, Virtue, Millar, Jones, Camacho
Subs: Mckenzie-Lyle, McAulley, Masterson, Christie-Davies, gallacher.

Lost 2-1 to Blackburn tonight.

Sweeting

Lewis hit the bar and the post with two free kicks in the game.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Lewis hit the bar and the post with two free kicks in the game.

Lewis was clearly our best player last night and frankly the only one who looked a possible future first team player. Played like a team of eunuchs for the first half hour but gradually improved and dominated the second half. Denied a clear pen yet Blackburn were awarded a pen that clearly was not a foul but Grabara saved it.

An unacceptable performance. The coach needs to build his team around future star Curtis Jones. The other lot should be playing to him instead of leaving him standing in space with no one near him. They need to be told. Buck up or get out.

So you are Curtis jones' parent or agent? We dont build team around 1 player anymore at first team level. And definitely should not be doing so at youth level.
A lot of coaches would disagree with that outlook. And as we all should know: that level of club football is ALL ABOUT PRODUCING TOP QUALITY PLAYERS FOR THE SENIOR TEAM!!!

A lot of coaches would disagree with that outlook. And as we all should know: that level of club football is ALL ABOUT PRODUCING TOP QUALITY PLAYERS FOR THE SENIOR TEAM!!!
The problem with u23s football is that it's u23s football. The UK has it wrong there they need to copy the Spanish and Portuguese systems where the reserve team plays in a competitive league a few division down.

The lads need consistent 1st team football(even if on loan) in an environment were they experience the day to day of fighting for your job, competing for your spot not being given a spot because u train with the first team.

I will say this again Curtis is a real talent there is no doubt of that but he has to try to influence the game more. IMHO he is playing too deep for the u23s he is currently playing more like an 8. He is best playing either in behind the 9(in the 10) or on the left in the 11.

That being said I think with the talent that team has they are def under performing and again IMHO they are not playing with enough freedom. IT is all too predictable to rigid almost formulaic easy to defend. I sat with 3 other scout at the game vs Blackburn and they all said the same thing.
No one seems to want to break the lines and play a ball forward for fear of loosing possession. Players like Curtis and Rafa and Bobby and even Liam need to express themselves and they look stiffled to me.

If I was the manager I would work on getting the ball forward as quick as possibleand yes like you said getting it to Curtis in the final third and then see what he can really do. At the moment it all a little too sideways and backwards...

Sweeting

Curtis Jones is also the youngest member of the team and is still eligible for U18 football.
I don't mind him not dominating these fixtures just yet.
My expectation is that he will grow into a role where he is a key figure this season and be joined in the U23s squad by the likes of Edvard Tagseth, Yasser Larouci, Paul Glatzel and Elijah Dixon-Bonner at the end of the season. All of whom are improvements over their comparative U23 player.

The U18s will in turn reload with Jake Cain, Fidel O'Rourke, Leighton Clarkson and Remi Savage becoming regulars. Dal Varesanovic has also gained clearance this summer but I haven't seen him feature so he could be an option.

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★
That being said I think with the talent that team has they are def under performing and again IMHO they are not playing with enough freedom. IT is all too predictable to rigid almost formulaic easy to defend. I sat with 3 other scout at the game vs Blackburn and they all said the same thing.
No one seems to want to break the lines and play a ball forward for fear of loosing possession. Players like Curtis and Rafa and Bobby and even Liam need to express themselves and they look stiffled to me.
Who do you scout for then?

Lynch04

TIA New Signing
Curtis Jones is also the youngest member of the team and is still eligible for U18 football.
My expectation is that he will grow into a role where he is a key figure this season and be joined in the U23s squad by the likes of Edvard Tagseth, Yasser Larouci, Paul Glatzel and Elijah Dixon-Bonner at the end of the season. All of whom are improvements over their comparative U23 player.

The U18s will in turn reload with Jake Cain, Fidel O'Rourke, Leighton Clarkson and Remi Savage becoming regulars. Dal Varesanovic has also gained clearance this summer but I haven't seen him feature so he could be an option.
Thanks again for your insight into the youth teams. I know its a passion for you and enjoy reading your posts.
I disagree with Guardian, at yourh level it is nice to win things and as some people say success breeds success but this rarely transfers to a higher level.
In my opinion, youth football is about improving as many players as possible. Obviously you focus on the more talented players but you dont build a team around them. What happens when they step up to first team and the team is not built around them. I believe the greatest ability you can teach a footballer is character/mentality, there are many examples of skillful players with undoubted ability that fall short of their potential because of their mentality. Vice versa there are alot of limited players who achieve much more because they want to prove a point and improve.
Again in my opinion Curtis Jones maybe better off playing in a poor team, if He is the player Guardian says he should be trying to drive the team on and assert himself on games. Alternatively he could drop his head, wave his arms about and sulk.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Liverpool u23's v Leicester u23's

Kelleher, N. Williams, Lewis, Materson, Johnston, Chirivella, Adekanye, Virtue-Thick, Solanke, Christie-Davis, Camacho

Subs: McAuley, McKenzie, Garcia, Millar, Gallacher.

Virtue 1-0 latest score.
Not on lfctv either

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Looks like Origi's got himself slightly ahead of Solanke at the moment, being picked more often in the 18 lately.

Limiescouse

Looks like Origi's got himself slightly ahead of Solanke at the moment, being picked more often in the 18 lately.
It could also be done with a view to Dom's development. With Studge on the bench Origi and Dom are less likely to be needed, so it could be a case of just giving Dom games in the U23s that he wouldnt be getting if he was stuck on our bench not getting games.

dockers_strike

U19s got off to a good start v RSB in the UEFA Youth League but faded badly in the second half of the first half, if you get my drift. RSB really should be ahead with the chances they had. Duncan had a fine chance late on when clean through but poor control and indecision saw the chance go.

Ref has been an arsehole frequently getting in the way of Liverpool attacks, not sure if that is deliberate or just incompetence. He gave us a free kick just outside the box then before it was taken went over to a Liverpool player and started giving him verbals while ignoring an RSB player clearly holding one of our players. He blew for the free kick to be taken then immediately blew again and gave the Liverpool player he'd been talking to more verbals!!

Lewtas has some work to do for this second half which is about to get underway. 0-0.

dockers_strike

Lewis makes it 2-0 with an excellent free kick in the 75th minute.

Jones was performing much better last season than he is this. That is a bad "sign". This season a player like he should be even more influential and dominant than last season. He seems to have slackened off this season. He should be really going for it like never before.

(In his defence the other lot appear to be not using him effectively - as I think I already pointed out).

Sweeting

Jones was performing much better last season than he is this. That is a bad "sign". This season a player like he should be even more influential and dominant than last season. He seems to have slackened off this season. He should be really going for it like never before.

(In his defence the other lot appear to be not using him effectively - as I think I already pointed out).
He only made four starts at U23 level last season - 0 goals, 0 assists - so his level his actually consistent.

He only made four starts at U23 level last season - 0 goals, 0 assists - so his level his actually consistent.
I saw Jones score 16 goals last season (or was it more) I SAW how he was playing. I SAW how much he was putting into his game. I SAW how creative he was. I SAW how influential he was. He was performing much better then than this season!