Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Redopium

Liverpool u23's drew 1-1 with burnley today , burnley had a man sent off and we missed a pen. McAuley with the goal.

The problem with u23s football is that it's u23s football. The UK has it wrong there they need to copy the Spanish and Portuguese systems where the reserve team plays in a competitive league a few division down.

The lads need consistent 1st team football(even if on loan) in an environment were they experience the day to day of fighting for your job, competing for your spot not being given a spot because u train with the first team.

I will say this again Curtis is a real talent there is no doubt of that but he has to try to influence the game more. IMHO he is playing too deep for the u23s he is currently playing more like an 8. He is best playing either in behind the 9(in the 10) or on the left in the 11.

That being said I think with the talent that team has they are def under performing and again IMHO they are not playing with enough freedom. IT is all too predictable to rigid almost formulaic easy to defend. I sat with 3 other scout at the game vs Blackburn and they all said the same thing.
No one seems to want to break the lines and play a ball forward for fear of loosing possession. Players like Curtis and Rafa and Bobby and even Liam need to express themselves and they look stiffled to me.

If I was the manager I would work on getting the ball forward as quick as possibleand yes like you said getting it to Curtis in the final third and then see what he can really do. At the moment it all a little too sideways and backwards...
Some Premiership clubs may want to use the lower leagues as a vehicle for their youth teams but they will rightly be resisted. Yet some of the top clubs were reluctant to put sides into the Checkatrade Trophy competition to play against lower clubs, for however many games.

Jones should certainly be looking more like he is pushing for the top than he is. Arsenal's Saka only left school in the summer and has now been promoted to England's u19s. Man City haven't sent Foden out on loan but when he gets a taste of first team action (and playing for England youth) he really pushes himself to the limit of awareness sharpness and determination (without needing a loan). Jones should be showing the same drive.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin

costared

TIA Reserve Team

costared

TIA Reserve Team
A big game for the U23s tonight. They are not doing very well this season and a lot of the lads have been on International duty so we are likely to have a very young side on display. Good luck to them.

Redopium

Liverpool U23s vs. Villarreal (7pm): George; Hoever, R.Williams, Masterson, Juanma; Coyle, Dixon-Bonner; Larouci, Millar, Longstaff; McAuley

Subs: Atherton, N.Williams, Lewis, Sharif, Duncan

Includes seven players stepping up from the U18s.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Liverpool U23s vs. Villarreal (7pm): George; Hoever, R.Williams, Masterson, Juanma; Coyle, Dixon-Bonner; Larouci, Millar, Longstaff; McAuley

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Getting battered here, 2-0 down in 6 minutes. Villareal are much better and more experienced. Long night ahead.

costared

TIA Reserve Team

Really is boys against men tonight. Not even going to bother to watch it.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
4-0. Wouldn't be surprised to see double figures.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Bloody hell. What kind of team do Villarreal under 23s have?
It's their B team. They're top of the Spanish second division.

Meanwhile we have some mashup of our u18s and what's left of the u23s after our best players are out on loan. Completely pointless game this, terrible for our young players development.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
4-0 Half time.

It will be very interesting to see which Liverpool players have the right attitude in the second half.

The commentator is making to many excuses, we are getting battered and this may be the making of some of the kids

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
4-0 Half time.

It will be very interesting to see which Liverpool players have the right attitude in the second half.

The commentator is making to many excuses, we are getting battered and this may be the making of some of the kids
They're making excuses for kids to offer some insight as to why we're losing.

This Villareal team plays senior football, most of their players are in their 20s, they've been playing together all season and they're top of their league. We have numerous under 18s in the side and the rest are our u23s that aren't good enough to go out on loan or play international football.

It's a massive mismatch in terms of experience and quality, I'd rather hear the commentators making excuses for these kids getting battered than laying into them for not being good enough.

Sweeting

Quite a funny pasting the young ones are taking! 6-0 down!

In terms of the actual XI we have out there tonight I think there are definitely some good talents - Larouci and Dixon-Bonnar particularly. Unfortunately it looks like 18 year olds against 22 year olds tonight. The "Older" lads we have, who would usually help the rest through the game, are basically people we are just waiting on to leave - Juanma, George, Masterson, Coyle - not much talent there to be brutally honest.

Shouldn't really be getting thwacked like this anyway but then again I saw one of Barcelona Youth get beat 5-0 by the Aspire Academy a few years so...

Redopium

Mini u23 Derby at 14.00

Kelleher, Hoever, Juanma, Masterson, Johnston, Phillips, Camacho, Chirivella, Woodburn, Christie-Davis, Lewis
Subs: McKenzie-Lyle, Coyle, R. Williams, Millar, Longstaff

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Mini u23 Derby at 14.00

Kelleher, Hoever, Juanma, Masterson, Johnston, Phillips, Camacho, Chirivella, Woodburn, Christie-Davis, Lewis
Subs: McKenzie-Lyle, Coyle, R. Williams, Millar, Longstaff
What a strange side. 352 with Lewis and Woodburn upfront?

Oops, didn't see Hoever. I guess 343 with Lewis and Camacho either side of Woodburn.