Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Kopstar

★★★★★
Does anyone know when Brewster is back from his injury , thought he was back in December but have heard nothin
Anybody know if Brewster's nearing a return? I seem to recall the injury was supposed to put him out to around Christmas time but I don't know whether that was subsequently revised or how his recovery has been going?
He's back in light training a couple of weeks but I don't think we will see him anytime soon.

cynicaloldgit

Total Member
... think he will become an EPL standard keeper.
As do I. The problem is that Alisson is only 26, so (barring a major downturn in his form) has at least six more seasons in front of him. Grabara turns 20 tomorrow; he’ll be the same age Alisson is now before he gets even a sniff of becoming our number one. Will he be content to wait that long?

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Remi Savage looks a good player. Maybe he's just bigger than the rest so he stands out. Listed as a defender on the main site, but looks useful with the ball. I grew up in Buffalo, NY and played indoor every winter with the boards, brings back some good memories. Very different game than outdoors on grass! Game goes a million miles an hour. Looks like they all enjoyed themselves.

It will be interesting to see if future England star Curtis Jones is brought in for the FA Cup match against Wolves - but he'll need to have shown Klopp he is seriously "going for it".
Latest update - Reading Britain's finest newspaper, The Mail, today, it seems Jones will be playing (from the sound of it).

It's time he did!

costared

TIA Reserve Team
As do I. The problem is that Alisson is only 26, so (barring a major downturn in his form) has at least six more seasons in front of him. Grabara turns 20 tomorrow; he’ll be the same age Alisson is now before he gets even a sniff of becoming our number one. Will he be content to wait that long?
Maybe with a good loan or two.

Sweeting

U23s are playing against Spurs away currently in a stupidly arranged game.

McKenzie-Lyle
Masterson Whelan Johnston
Williams Randall Coyle Chirivella Juanma
Duncan Millar

Atherton; R. Williams, Glatzel, McAuley

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
Impressive showing from Hoever, Camacho and Jones. Obviously, Camacho might go out on loan or not sign a new contract but I hope he signs it, the kid's a natural in right back position, in my opinion, especially for someone that young. Obviously, his versatility is a plus but since proper fullbacks are hard to come by these days, I hope he plays that role for Liverpool in the future. Between him and TAA, that position could be sorted for the foreseeable future.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Impressive showing from Hoever, Camacho and Jones. Obviously, Camacho might go out on loan or not sign a new contract but I hope he signs it, the kid's a natural in right back position, in my opinion, especially for someone that young. Obviously, his versatility is a plus but since proper fullbacks are hard to come by these days, I hope he plays that role for Liverpool in the future. Between him and TAA, that position could be sorted for the foreseeable future.
May not have played had we not loaned out Clyne. Just saying. Don't think Clyne going out necessarily weakens us and allows for players like Camacho and Hoever to get some first team exposure.

Nikola

Admin
May not have played had we not loaned out Clyne. Just saying. Don't think Clyne going out necessarily weakens us and allows for players like Camacho and Hoever to get some first team exposure.
I was worried when Clyne left because there were a lot of reports that Camacho would also be loaned out. When I saw him playing against Man United in pre-season, I was very impressed and optimistic for his future at Liverpool. He continued that mini-trend tonight. Small sample but he looks every bit a Klopp's fullback - committed, quick, forward-thinking, great touch.

Whether it's the best for him to go out on loan or remain at Liverpool is a decision Camacho, Klopp and Inglethorpe will have to take. I'd sacrifice half a season of his playing time in order to cover for TAA (and Gomez), Klopp will need every player to hold off Man City's and Tottenham's assault.

Kopstar

★★★★★
I was worried when Clyne left because there were a lot of reports that Camacho would also be loaned out. When I saw him playing against Man United in pre-season, I was very impressed and optimistic for his future at Liverpool. He continued that mini-trend tonight. Small sample but he looks every bit a Klopp's fullback - committed, quick, forward-thinking, great touch.

Whether it's the best for him to go out on loan or remain at Liverpool is a decision Camacho, Klopp and Inglethorpe will have to take. I'd sacrifice half a season of his playing time in order to cover for TAA (and Gomez), Klopp will need every player to hold off Man City's and Tottenham's assault.
I agree. Where Camacho is concerned I'd be happy for the transfer window to have already closed. With Clyne gone we've got to keep him around, surely?

I agree. Where Camacho is concerned I'd be happy for the transfer window to have already closed. With Clyne gone we've got to keep him around, surely?
I doubt we are keeping Clyne. TAA and maybe Gomez are ahead of him in the pecking order and he doesnt seem content with his position in the squad. The only way his current loan make sense is that he wants to be a regular starter which looks unlikely at our club. I think between Trent, Gomez, Hoever and maybe Camacho we have that position fairly covered.

Kopstar

★★★★★
I doubt we are keeping Clyne. TAA and maybe Gomez are ahead of him in the pecking order and he doesnt seem content with his position in the squad. The only way his current loan make sense is that he wants to be a regular starter which looks unlikely at our club. I think between Trent, Gomez, Hoever and maybe Camacho we have that position fairly covered.
I wasn't suggesting that we were keeping Clyne nor even that we should... :eh?:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

A couple of his sloppy moments have been left out but even so, a nice glimpse into his potential. His ability to step past a man and fizz the ball into players between the lines is nice. Lacking on the physical side but that will fixed with age.

Nikola

Admin
Milner has more playing experience than this lad has years of age, right? Incredible to think. His lack of experience showed last night, I think first real Wolves attack caught him stranded on the half-way line and that chance that Jimenez fumbled should be attributed to lack of communication, Mignolet should have really come out for that one, at least Hoever looked like he expected him to collect it. Otherwise, pretty impressive for a 16-year old, it was as good as it could have been from any 16-year old centre back out there on his debut. His passing ability looked better than I thought, both short and long, like he's a midfield playmaker. As a side note, I found it funny that he probably made his Liverpool debut sooner than he would have made his Ajax debut!

What I loved about the three debutants last night is that all three of them looked natural in their roles, taking to them like ducks to water. We probably won't see them until some new injury crisis (who knows, Hoever might end up on the bench for Brighton game, even though I find it unlikely) but in a year or two, these three should be knocking on first team squad's door. I hope that Camacho signs a new contract first and then takes it from there, I think Klopp will appreciate his qualities even in the short term, given that he's the oldest of the three.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Milner has more playing experience than this lad has years of age, right? Incredible to think. His lack of experience showed last night, I think first real Wolves attack caught him stranded on the half-way line and that chance that Jimenez fumbled should be attributed to lack of communication, Mignolet should have really come out for that one, at least Hoever looked like he expected him to collect it. Otherwise, pretty impressive for a 16-year old, it was as good as it could have been from any 16-year old centre back out there on his debut. His passing ability looked better than I thought, both short and long, like he's a midfield playmaker. As a side note, I found it funny that he probably made his Liverpool debut sooner than he would have made his Ajax debut!

What I loved about the three debutants last night is that all three of them looked natural in their roles, taking to them like ducks to water. We probably won't see them until some new injury crisis (who knows, Hoever might end up on the bench for Brighton game, even though I find it unlikely) but in a year or two, these three should be knocking on first team squad's door. I hope that Camacho signs a new contract first and then takes it from there, I think Klopp will appreciate his qualities even in the short term, given that he's the oldest of the three.
Agree. I'll add that while Jones looked very comfortable and confident with the ball at his feet and going at players, he seemed a bit naive (understandably so) about when to do the party tricks, when to keep it simple, and he gave the ball away fairly cheaply with poor passes quite a few times. Experience and age will hopefully cure most of that. He'll also be helped if the rest of team actually perform. I don't really have any negatives from the two young defenders. It's easy to see why the are so excited about Hoever, that was quite a debut for what he was asked to do. I don't think he'll play CB for us for another 3 or 4 years. Comacho's touch and confidence were both better than I was expecting. Looks a real prospect.

redalways

TIA Regular

If the reports about Lovren's condition today are true, might not seem too far-fetched...

Richard88

I watched a few "all touches" compilations of Jones this afternoon, and after watching those, combined with his performance last night, I can't say I see what all the hype is about.

He does have a neat dribble at times, but I don't see anything of the level that you'd expect from a youngster to break into the first team permanently, certainly not where the club is at now. Can someone who has watched a lot of him give a rebuttal our share their opinion? Am I missing something?

Btw, please note that I'm not being harsh on him for the sake of bashing a youngster. As much as I don't see the hype with Jones I do however see the enormous potential in Hoever. With some tactical coaching on things like positioning (he was caught out on the halfway line a few times last night) he has all the potential in the world and I can definitely see him developing and taking a spot in the first team long-term. He's like a beautiful hybrid of Trent, Gomez, and Van Dijk, all rolled into one 16 year old.

I watched a few "all touches" compilations of Jones this afternoon, and after watching those, combined with his performance last night, I can't say I see what all the hype is about.

He does have a neat dribble at times, but I don't see anything of the level that you'd expect from a youngster to break into the first team permanently, certainly not where the club is at now. Can someone who has watched a lot of him give a rebuttal our share their opinion? Am I missing something?

Btw, please note that I'm not being harsh on him for the sake of bashing a youngster. As much as I don't see the hype with Jones I do however see the enormous potential in Hoever. With some tactical coaching on things like positioning (he was caught out on the halfway line a few times last night) he has all the potential in the world and I can definitely see him developing and taking a spot in the first team long-term. He's like a beautiful hybrid of Trent, Gomez, and Van Dijk, all rolled into one 16 year old.
The reason I and many others are so excited about Hoever's performance yesterday was that he did not get caught out of position even once. OK maybe once but that's it. To do that against this wolves team that looked to be plying on the counter with speed players and Neves and Coady finding them with long balls is quiet something. And judging by their league position something that not many defences have done. Also noteworthy was how well ehe offered himself up to receive a pass and he was fairly calm about it even under wolves pressure. He got trapped once ( I blame Mingolet for playing it to him there when 2 wolves players were converging) but kept a cool head and tried to get himself out. You are bound to make mistakes, what matters is how you try to get yourself out of it.

He came to Liverpool a few months ago and until a few weeks back he was playing U18s. His progression through the ranks has been blistering but he seem to be able to take it in his stride. I don't think yesterdays game fazed him the slightest. Unfortunately, none of this is captured in those all touches compilation but there's genuine reason to be optimistic imo.

Nikola

Admin
Nice piece on Hoever in the Echo:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...ws/liverpools-90000-gem-story-behind-15659510

Also, @Nikola , maybe this lad deserves his own player thread... we might be seeing a lot more of him!
I've actually made a few in advance, just checking what happens with these kids. We generally stopped making threads for youth players because they don't generate posts, even those of club's finest talents, and my OCD gets triggered easily. :-)