• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Klopp has just categorically dismissed the possibility of Camacho leaving in January. Let's hope he signs that new contract, I think Klopp really believes in him.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Cool. Probably wanted to have a look against Wolves if he can trust him (in a serious senior match other than a friendly) if Gomez is really needed centrally and nowhere else, so we need to have another player ready to protect Trent. Plus Camacho's ability to cover other positions if we need it.

Sweeting

Trent and Camacho as our two right backs full time. Interesting.

Ask me a year ago if I thought Camacho could break through and I would have thought it would be as a pace option in place of Mane. Klopp (and his backroom team) see things in players that others just don't.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
My missus just picked her Uni-mate from the UK, husband is a huge Liverpool fan just mentioned to me that this Bobby Duncan fella is something special. Anyone watches him here? I took the liberty to check out his stats, bloody hell 12 goals in 12 Champs League matches, 14 goals in 12 league games. Recorded 5 assists in those two competitions in his age group. Is he really that good?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
My missus just picked her Uni-mate from the UK, husband is a huge Liverpool fan just mentioned to me that this Bobby Duncan fella is something special. Anyone watches him here? I took the liberty to check out his stats, bloody hell 12 goals in 12 Champs League matches, 14 goals in 12 league games. Recorded 5 assists in those two competitions in his age group. Is he really that good?
He is good but whether it'll translate into senior football I'm not so sure. He's not lightning fast and technically he can improve a lot, sometimes he takes too long on the ball and his first touch is sloppy compared to somebody like Glatzel.

He's very direct, he'll work hard and he's very persistent and determined in a similar manner to Kuyt or Suarez I guess. He does strike the ball well with his left foot.

We have quite a good number of young strikers on our books, Brewster and Duncan are the most well known ones but Paul Glatzel (mentioned above) and Fidel O'Rourke are also quality.

Brewster is still the pick of the lot for me.

Last edited:

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
According to the official site he also is a cousin of Steven Gerrard.
Can‘t be bad :)

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I was wondering why there had been no mention of Nat Phillips as a possible solution to our current CB crisis. Here's why:
Nat Phillips is facing a further spell on the sidelines after recently undergoing surgery on an ankle injury, Liverpool Under-23s manager Neil Critchley.
Thanks for the update, I was wondering as well. Real shame for the lad because with Lovren, Matip and Gomez out together that was the opportunity a player like Phillips (in his circumstances) needed to prove himself. Missing that opportunity by also being injured is really unfortunate and he may not get another opportunity. A real sliding doors moment for his future here, I feel.

[Sorry for discussing in here, there's no player thread for him]

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
“Nat is a humble and down-to-earth boy and realises the bigger picture. He didn’t get too carried away when he did well with the first team and he doesn’t get too down when he is injured either. He has got the right attitude and the right character to come through these setbacks.”

Got the same impression. Shame, there was a potential debut for him against Wolves. Hope he has a solid career somewhere, after he almost gave up(?) on football last summer.

Sweeting

Ki-Jana Hoever has just been sent off for the softest foul I've ever seen! Think the referee gave it for "last man" but it seems a bizarre decision as George Johnston was covering (and was very close). The referee took a long time to decide so I assume he forgets that Johnston was covering when he made his decision.

Liverpool winning 1-0 against Brighton.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Only been watching for 10-15 mins but Lewis and Camacho have impressed.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Only been watching for 10-15 mins but Lewis and Camacho have impressed.
Is Lewis playing left back? I’m hoping we see him in the first team before the end of the season.. And Sweeting is wrong about him not being able to defend.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Is Lewis playing left back? I’m hoping we see him in the first team before the end of the season.. And Sweeting is wrong about him not being able to defend.
Yes, finally playing at left back again.

I agree with Sweeting. I don't think Lewis is going to look at all comfortable against top players at left back and he hasn't got Trent's athleticism either. Technically he is fantastic but I think it'll take a while before he's a genuine option at first team level, if ever.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Camacho hits the post after a nice turn. Easily the most threatening player since I've turned on, Brighton can't get anywhere near him. He scored the goal too.

Sweeting

1-1

Great cross. Lewis didn't track the runner in the middle, although the guy was much taller than him so he probably wouldn't have stopped him anyway.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I didn't see before the sending off of Hoever but after it he was essentially playing as a CF for most of the game in a 4-4-1.
Is there potential for him offering cover as a left winger? Am I imagining that I've seen him listed in that position?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Not sure if he ever played there (think he had some games at AMC for Portugal in a 3 at the back) and he's still young so there's time if he developes well, but a bit surprised he was never tried out in central midfield. At least at that lower level. Playing in a 3 of course as one of the two advanced #8's. There is no magic ball, but just to have a little taste about what his "ceiling" might be there compared to other positions, and boy he can cover a lot of them. I don't know, maybe he's naturally too direct for that part of the pitch and we mostly use him anywhere on the sides, up or down. Would be interesting to hear what Klopp and the likes of Pep think about it.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Apparently TAA is out for a few weeks with a knee injury, do you guys think it will be Comacho stepping into the side? I liked how he played against Wolves, even in that awful team display, it'd be interesting to see him get a run of games.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Apparently TAA is out for a few weeks with a knee injury, do you guys think it will be Comacho stepping into the side? I liked how he played against Wolves, even in that awful team display, it'd be interesting to see him get a run of games.
I think it depends on the opposition and other absentees. I'd say the likely contenders are Fabinho (possibly as a back three), Milner, Hoever, Camacho, and Henderson.

redalways

TIA Regular
Not sure if he ever played there (think he had some games at AMC for Portugal in a 3 at the back) and he's still young so there's time if he developes well, but a bit surprised he was never tried out in central midfield. At least at that lower level. Playing in a 3 of course as one of the two advanced #8's. There is no magic ball, but just to have a little taste about what his "ceiling" might be there compared to other positions, and boy he can cover a lot of them. I don't know, maybe he's naturally too direct for that part of the pitch and we mostly use him anywhere on the sides, up or down. Would be interesting to hear what Klopp and the likes of Pep think about it.
The more I hear about the positions he's able to cover, the more I'm wondering if he's going to be a new Milner...