Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
No we didn't play well , that pitch certainly didn't look up to the standards we'd be used to .

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Yeah, not a great game and Dinamo were overall the better side for 1 goal. More clear cut chances, while we struggled to take the game to their half. They simply looked more motivated and more aggressive, though maybe should've had one of their best players on the pitch sent off in a head to head with Lewis. I don't know what happened to Jaros, who had to be subbed at HT. Dinamo's goalkeeper has good reputation at penalties, they already won a few shoot outs and he even gave an interview the day before the game that he has done his usual duty for pens. They played in a 4-2-3-1. Their goalkeeper, LCM and LW were the more stand out players for them against our weaker right side.

We played in a 4-4-2 diamond, with starting with Jones at the tip of it Bobby Firmino role. Though through the match we rotated both the positions up top of Duncan and Glatzel and Jones also went on the left of the 3, making it a 4-3-3. Jones went to LCM in the second half, pushing Clarkson (who came on for Cain) to #10 behind the two strikers.

I liked the performances of Lewis, Coyle and Jones. Basically the left side of our team looked better, which was also expected. Sharif was poor in that pocket surrounded by the two Williamses behind him and a striker in front. He's tall, but was so weak and uninterested in defending. Was surprised that he didn't come off. Thought Boyes was better than Rhys Williams and Cain was better than Sharif. But not great from all of them.

Dinamo played a high pressing game, we struggled to a) play through that press and b) lump it forward/win headers/second balls/keep possession in their half for longer periods. Jones doing something by himself was another option. Because whenever we did that (not often enough), we looked a threat, especially when we managed to push our full backs up. First half was not great, also not a great pitch, second half we both raised the level a bit, but Dinamo edged it with the better chances.

Atherton's maniac jumping and hitting the post with his forearms (not in the usual way like many keepers do, but it just looked wrong what he was doing) was a bit weird, saw Inglethorpe (he was two rows under me in the stands, couldn't catch him for a minute or two as he always rushed earlier to the dressing room or to the pitch before penalties, Critchley was also on the bench assisting Lewtas) trying to get a "calm down" message to him during the shoot out.

Lewis did well considering that he had to battle against a tall and physical RW. Very agile, technically sound, got stuck in, showed a bit of skill with a nutmeg and few dribbling moves. He was often making more stretching runs on the left than Neco Williams but our midfield was slow in switching play.

Coyle had a very solid display, first touch on point and often managed to get rid of the pressing opponent by simply going one way or another and using his size to go through. Simple in his passing, vocal and strong in the tackle.

Jones showed that he's among the 2 most talented or best players on the pitch (Dinamo's left winger probably being MOTM, if not their goalie) got a number of wows from the stands with his skills, though sometimes forced and overplayed it and lost possession in central areas. Perhaps wasn't that motivated to play at that level in a hostile environment like that on not a great surface.

Glatzel was a bit weak though did well in creating our goal for Duncan. Duncan ran a lot, he's a stocky kid, but had problems in keeping the ball.

Last edited:

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Yeah, not a great game and Dinamo were overall the better side for 1 goal. More clear cut chances, while we struggled to take the game to their half. They simply looked more motivated and more aggressive, though maybe should've had one of their best players on the pitch sent off in a head to head with Lewis. I don't know what happened to Jaros, who had to be subbed at HT. Dinamo's goalkeeper has good reputation at penalties, they already won a few shoot outs and he even gave an interview the day before the game that he has done his usual duty for pens. They played in a 4-2-3-1. Their goalkeeper, LCM and LW were the more stand out players for them against our weaker right side.

We played in a 4-4-2 diamond, with starting with Jones at the tip of it Bobby Firmino role. Though through the match we rotated both the positions up top of Duncan and Glatzel and Jones also went on the left of the 3, making it a 4-3-3. Jones went to LCM in the second half, pushing Clarkson (who came on for Cain) to #10 behind the two strikers.

I liked the performances of Lewis, Coyle and Jones. Basically the left side of our team looked better, which was also expected. Sharif was poor in that pocket surrounded by the two Williamses behind him and a striker in front. He's tall, but was so weak and uninterested in defending. Was surprised that he didn't come off. Thought Boyes was better than Rhys Williams and Cain was better than Sharif. But not great from all of them.

Dinamo played a high pressing game, we struggled to a) play through that press and b) lump it forward/win headers/second balls/keep possession in their half for longer periods. Jones doing something by himself was another option. Because whenever we did that (not often enough), we looked a threat, especially when we managed to push our full backs up. First half was not great, also not a great pitch, second half we both raised the level a bit, but Dinamo edged it with the better chances.

Atherton's maniac jumping and hitting the post with his forearms (not in the usual way like many keepers do, but it just looked wrong what he was doing) was a bit weird, saw Inglethorpe (he was two rows under me in the stands, couldn't catch him for a minute or two as he always rushed earlier to the dressing room or to the pitch before penalties, Critchley was also on the bench assisting Lewtas) trying to get a "calm down" message to him during the shoot out.

Lewis did well considering that he had to battle against a tall and physical RW. Very agile, technically sound, got stuck in, showed a bit of skill with a nutmeg and few dribbling moves. He was often making more stretching runs on the left than Neco Williams but our midfield was slow in switching play.

Coyle had a very solid display, first touch on point and often managed to get rid of the pressing opponent by simply going one way or another and using his size to go through. Simple in his passing, vocal and strong in the tackle.

Jones showed that he's among the 2 most talented or best players on the pitch (Dinamo's left winger probably being MOTM, if not their goalie) got a number of wows from the stands with his skills, though sometimes forced and overplayed it and lost possession in central areas. Perhaps wasn't that motivated to play at that level in a hostile environment like that on not a great surface.

Glatzel was a bit weak though did well in creating our goal for Duncan. Duncan ran a lot, he's a stocky kid, but had problems in keeping the ball.
Thanks for the report. I only saw the second half on TV. Personally I was a bit dissapointed with Jones, caught in posession to often , but the pitch certainly did not suit us. Glatzel I thought did o.k. Very determined, gives nothing up. I was surprised at Athertons antics. If you are bouncing up and down you can always be caught on the way up when you need to be down. The pen he saved was the only one where he was properly set.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
1:0 after a defensive error, Duncan couldn't round the 'keeper but Glatzel was on point to score.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
I will leave the updates to Nikola. He is younger and faster than me :-)
Haha, I'll take that as a compliment - in truth, I'm lucky to have subscription to a regional television called Sport Klub, so I'm able to watch it in real time for a change! :-)

It took the commentator fifteen minutes to compare Rhys Williams to Van Dijk - if only because of his looks.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
2:0, a blistering, wonderful counter-attack, it should be Duncan's goal but Glatzel burried it just in case.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
One way traffic for most of the match so far, Liverpool haven't created too much aside from the goals but are decent in possession, fullbacks are pushing high up, Glatzel and Duncan are looking to stretch defences, while Rhys Williams is doing his best Van Dijk impression when he contests aerial duels.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
Duncan just missed a sitter after Glatzel held off a defender and set him up.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
Rhys Williams cleared a dangerous cross from Watford's right flank after Larouci's drop in concentration help their winger get past him.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
I'm not sure whether Neco Williams is crossing or shooting today but he had four comical attempts at either in a row. :-) A really positive game from him otherwise, he's always making good runs.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
Watford almost scored after an error from Cain, who was good today, and immediately after their goalie saved from Glatzel after a fine cross from Larouci.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
Larouci has squandered a good opportunity to assist a goal after another counter. I like him, though, but the kid needs to be quicker in thinking.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
Larouci hits the post after another fine run without the ball.