• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Maybe more suited to the end of the season, or maybe not, but I'd be interested in having a little roundup by some of the guys who regularly watch the youth team about which players they think have a shot of breaking into the first team in the coming season/s...

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Maybe more suited to the end of the season, or maybe not, but I'd be interested in having a little roundup by some of the guys who regularly watch the youth team about which players they think have a shot of breaking into the first team in the coming season/s...
Yeah, I'm also hoping for that from the usual suspects. I don't watch the kids anywhere near as much as I used to but I followed their cup run because it was televised in Balkan countries and I really liked what I saw from these kids. Perhaps Rhys Williams and Larouci stand the best chances of making it because of their physical qualities - aside from that, Rhys Williams seems to be a decent reader of the game and decent in one on ones, while Larouci is skillful and attack-minded as well.

In terms of technical ability, though, I don't think I've seen a better Liverpool side at this level. Kids do the basics really well, I really hope that lack of height or pace won't hinder their future prospects. That's actually my biggest fear when it comes to development of Glatzel and Duncan, the most talked about U18 players. It won't be for the lack of trying, though, these kids never cease to run and run down their opponents.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
The lads showed a lot of character. Had a poor build up with the game following on so closeley to the return from a tournament in the USA. First half, not surpringly, most of them looked like their minds were still on the plane . Great fight back , great result and a credit to all concerned.
Like why were they in the states so close to the final anyway?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Yasser Larouci looked extremely good from the highlights. I haven't seen any of him before but he looked like a quality prospect at LB (I note TIA had him as their man of the match). City's keeper had a Karius moment with that Bobby Duncan shot; he'll have nightmares about that for a while. We were also very fortunate not to concede a penalty in Extra Time when the ball hit Neco Williams on the arm. That could easily have been given and I'd have been disappointed if that call was made against Liverpool.

Having said that, I thought we had the better chances during the game and probably should have won it in normal time. Well played lads.

Highlights:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
I'd say @Nikola has it about right, I think Larouci is the obvious candidate. The way he waltzes past people is extremely impressive and that's something he'll be able to carry over to first team football I think. He's not just quick, he has that ability to change direction instantly and has really close control of the ball, whilst being able to strike the ball nicely. All stuff he can carry over. No idea how he'll handle his defensive responsibilities at that level though. Hopefully he gets some game time at first team level in pre season.

Rhys Williams is an interesting one. Wasn't too impressed the first couple of times I watched him but recently I've thought he's looked the part. He's going to have the stature to be a good centre back, he's enormous (he said he's a bit taller than Van Dijk) but retains decent mobility. With Van Dijk and Matip at the club he has two seriously good players to look up too.

As for the rest of them, there isn't anybody who stands out as an obvious candidate. As Nik points out, Glatzel and Duncan lack any serious pace and that almost always is highlighted when these young kids step up to first team level. It's much easier for the likes of Sterling, Owen, Brewster (hopefully) to make an instant impact at first team level than it is for these kids. Fowler shows it isn't impossible and he's the obvious role model for these two, but Robbie was a freak of a player and is very much an anomaly. Still, they both have a lot of ability and appear to have a good work ethic so it would be silly to write them off.

The midfield is promising, we have about 5 kids at this level who can all play. Again, none stand out yet to me, but maybe 1 or 2 will develop over the next couple of years.

Jaros impresses me too, I think he looks fantastic. Like Grabara, making it at Liverpool seems to be an impossible challenge for these lads but I'm pretty sure both will be playing for a decent side in one of Europe's top leagues, if not somewhere like Portugal or Holland.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

Lets hope, this is a common theme at all levels!!

I see Guardian has been banned which i have no opinion on (well i do) but it would have been nice to question his coaching credentials and disrespectful opinion of Bobby Duncan.

My brother played a couple of games professionally, his career was hampered by two knee cruciate injuries, 3 operations. His first reconstruction was by Ron Steadman (who operated on Shearer) which unfortunately failed, his first game back saw him tear the other knee. He was at Lilleshaw (sp) and was highly thought of. Every off season, my family (50 yr old dad, my 3 brothers and I and a few Lynch clan acquaints) would play Coventry FC youth which included Ben Turner, his best mate - you may remember him from 2012, equalising against us in the cup and swinging his top around his head and he was head and shoulders above them all, his mates and former team members (including Stevie Warnock and David Thompson) all spoke highly of him and the Lynch’s would usually win the off season game and it was definitely not down to me.
The reason I mention all this is because of the pressure/judgement placed on youth players. My brother whether down to injury or not never made it, however, i had the joy of watching him out muscle Dirk Kuyt in a Friendly (Crewe) shake hands with all my heroes. But do you know who the biggest hero on that pitch was...my brother. I witnessed his dedication, the hours my parents put in driving him around, the torment of his injuries and bad advice from agents. In my opinion this is what is wrong with people like Guardian whom have agendas and are over critical. My brother never made it, but everyone associated with him enjoyed the ride and was proud of him.
I think what i am trying to say here is that Bobby Duncan and others on the law of averages will not make it, but let them and their families enjoy it. Alot of them will be members of LFC forums and reading other peoples comments. To be actually playing youth football for a club like Liverpool is a major success, not making the first team squad should not be looked as a failure!
Because of that law of averages, any idiot can cast their eye over a bunch of top prospects and claim none of them will make it and rarely be wrong. No credit should be given for people who get it right about a kid not making it (whatever that means...did Stephen Warnock "make it"?). And people who do so with seeming glee, or would be happier to be proven right than wrong should be shunned.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Was the game televised because if it was I missed it. Really happy with the result, though, and let's hope it rubs off onto our senior side. It's always great winning silverware, so I would like to see us take charge of more silverware and take it from out of the hands of Citeh. The young lads have started the ball rolling.......

It was on BT Sport live lastnight but the full game is repeated on LFCtv again at 11pm tonight (friday 26th) if you haven't already seen the earlier repeat 12pm this afternoon.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Like why were they in the states so close to the final anyway?
I believe the USA trip had been planned a long time. They,LFC, were under the impression that the Youth Cup final would be in May but the FA decided on yesterday despite requests for a later date from Liverpool. I do not know why it could not have been a week later . On the face of it one would think the FA were just being difficult but it is not possible to say more without more information.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I believe the USA trip had been planned a long time. They,LFC, were under the impression that the Youth Cup final would be in May but the FA decided on yesterday despite requests for a later date from Liverpool. I do not know why it could not have been a week later . On the face of it one would think the FA were just being difficult but it is not possible to say more without more information.
We are talking of our FA who believe in giving Feck All help to any of our clubs.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Because of that law of averages, any idiot can cast their eye over a bunch of top prospects and claim none of them will make it and rarely be wrong. No credit should be given for people who get it right about a kid not making it (whatever that means...did Stephen Warnock "make it"?). And people who do so with seeming glee, or would be happier to be proven right than wrong should be shunned.

Quite so. It is easier to be negative than to be positive as it is so difficult for youngsters to make the grade. Obviously most people consider "making the grade" playing for LFC first team but many others go on to make a good career at some level, sometimes with other EPL clubs like Connor Coady playing for Wolves.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Ya but surely that when they knew that the final was going to be on yesterday they should have pulled out of the US trip or at least pulled the players who were going to be involved

(not aiming that at you, but find the whole thing a bit bizarre but at least in the end it didn't matter)

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Ya but surely that when they knew that the final was going to be on yesterday they should have pulled out of the US trip or at least pulled the players who were going to be involved

(not aiming that at you, but find the whole thing a bit bizarre but at least in the end it didn't matter)

I think they did shuffle the pack in the States , which is why they came back a couple of days earlier than planned, but I assume it was all done to late for us to pull out of it. The FA can be real A-holes and I think this was another example of that.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I've just watched the highlights of our Youth Cup Final win and, considering we were playing at Citeh's home ground, we did remarkably well. Five penalties taken, five penalties scored, we can't ask for more than that.
CHAMPIONS

Lynch04

Smeg Head
I agree, some people almost seem to revel in a players failure more so than in their success. Although i haven't for a while, i love watching youth football. Yes there is that level of naivety, but there is also that level of self confidence and tactical freeness.
One of the reasons for my post was that Guardian claimed to be a coach, any football coach would not have an agenda against a player, they would highlight areas where they could improve.
In regards to my brother, he never made it mainly down to injury. I am not saying he would have made it if he remained free of injury. But as a brother and a family we could not have been prouder. As you say only a small percentage make it, so let the larger percentage who fall short enjoy their moment rather than belittle them!!
By the way, I completely agree with you and my grievances are not aimed at you - I understand you already know this but just wanted to clarify

Redopium

Liverpool u23's v Blackburn u23's 16.00.

Kelleher, Whelan, Lewis, Masterson, Johnston, Randall, Camacho, Woodburn, Brewster, Christie-Davis, Jones.

Subs: Atherton, Gallacher, McAulley, Juanma

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Liverpool u23's 1-2 Blackburn u23's, FT, Johnson with our goal.

I missed the U23 game yesterday. Had it on my calendar for today. Just seen our line up and it looked pretty good although maybe a bit young for the age group. Can anyone give me some idea of how we played, particularly the better known players like Curtis Jones and Rhian Brewster.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I'm the prime suspect for overrating Liverpool's youth players but I don't think there was a better time for a talented youth player to be at Liverpool than now. Each and every one of them has a genuine chance of making it because of Klopp and his belief in hard work and merit. I hope that we'll see a few of them follow in Trent's footsteps - I imagine Hoever and Brewster are next in line but Jones, Rhys Williams and Larouci shouldn't be far behind. Camacho would certainly be in discussion but it remains to be seen whether he extends his contract.

Thomas1195

I imagine Hoever and Brewster are next in line but Jones, Rhys Williams
Curtis Jones is unlikely to break through because our midfield is very packed and Julian Brandt is coming, while Keita and AOC does not even peak yet.

On the other hand, Timo Werner seems to have chosen Bayern, which means Brewster will have much larger chance.

Hoever's prospect as a RB in our club will be extremely bleak if Trent keeps improving and goes on to become a Gary Neville of our club like most of our fans want. In such case, his paths will be: become a CB; leave the club; accept that he will become an equivalent of Wes Brown.
(Of course I am no United fan but I cannot find a more similar example than Gary Neville - Wes Brown).

Medjool

Curtis Jones is unlikely to break through because our midfield is very packed and Julian Brandt is coming, while Keita and AOC does not even peak yet.

On the other hand, Timo Werner seems to have chosen Bayern, which means Brewster will have much larger chance.

Hoever's prospect as a RB in our club will be extremely bleak if Trent keeps improving and goes on to become a Gary Neville of our club like most of our fans want. In such case, his paths will be: become a CB; leave the club; accept that he will become an equivalent of Wes Brown.
(Of course I am no United fan but I cannot find a more similar example than Gary Neville - Wes Brown).
"a Gary Neville of our club"? Rat boy? "I hate Liverpool", that Neville? That's two references you've made to the scum Thomas, you also have in the "who would you buy" thread. No offence to you personally but it leaves me feeling a bit sick to be honest. We are Liverpool.

Thomas1195

"a Gary Neville of our club"? Rat boy? "I hate Liverpool", that Neville? That's two references you've made to the scum Thomas, you also have in the "who would you buy" thread. No offence to you personally but it leaves me feeling a bit sick to be honest. We are Liverpool.
Sorry if it offends you guys. Let's rephrase: if TAA goes on to become an equivalent to Phillip Lahm of Liver, Hoever's future will be very bleak unless he becomes a CB. I tried to find an example of a club wing-back legend who comes from a club's youth system and remain that club's key player for the rest of his career. Unless TAA get a horrible injury or horribly decline, he will dominate the right back for the next decade.

But I cannot find similar examples of O'Shea and Wes Brown because in other clubs, club-trained players tend to be sold if they do not become stars, rather than being kept as reliable substitutes who are ready to step in when the starters get injured.

Last edited:

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
Don’t be so precious.

People can reference players from other clubs... even those we detest.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Sorry if it offends you guys. Let's rephrase: if TAA goes on to become an equivalent to Phillip Lahm of Liver, Hoever's future will be very bleak unless he becomes a CB. I tried to find an example of a club wing-back legend who comes from a club's youth system and remain that club's key player for the rest of his career. Unless TAA get a horrible injury or horribly decline, he will dominate the right back for the next decade.

But I cannot find similar examples of O'Shea and Wes Brown because in other clubs, club-trained players tend to be sold if they do not become stars, rather than being kept as reliable substitutes who are ready to step in when the starters get injured.

Hoever primarily is a centre back.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team

Sorry but.
Jamie Carragher: ‘Nobody wants to grow up to be a Gary Neville’

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
For what it's worth Trent Alexander-Arnold is only 20 and showing signs of being a combination of the best qualities of both Gary Neville (who was a good full back in defensive and supportive aspects) and David Beckham (who was a good winger from a tactical and creative view point) plus speed. Even Lahm wasn't as good all round as Trent is showing he is becoming.