Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Ya but surely that when they knew that the final was going to be on yesterday they should have pulled out of the US trip or at least pulled the players who were going to be involved

(not aiming that at you, but find the whole thing a bit bizarre but at least in the end it didn't matter)

I think they did shuffle the pack in the States , which is why they came back a couple of days earlier than planned, but I assume it was all done to late for us to pull out of it. The FA can be real A-holes and I think this was another example of that.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I've just watched the highlights of our Youth Cup Final win and, considering we were playing at Citeh's home ground, we did remarkably well. Five penalties taken, five penalties scored, we can't ask for more than that.
CHAMPIONS

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Because of that law of averages, any idiot can cast their eye over a bunch of top prospects and claim none of them will make it and rarely be wrong. No credit should be given for people who get it right about a kid not making it (whatever that means...did Stephen Warnock "make it"?). And people who do so with seeming glee, or would be happier to be proven right than wrong should be shunned.
I agree, some people almost seem to revel in a players failure more so than in their success. Although i haven't for a while, i love watching youth football. Yes there is that level of naivety, but there is also that level of self confidence and tactical freeness.
One of the reasons for my post was that Guardian claimed to be a coach, any football coach would not have an agenda against a player, they would highlight areas where they could improve.
In regards to my brother, he never made it mainly down to injury. I am not saying he would have made it if he remained free of injury. But as a brother and a family we could not have been prouder. As you say only a small percentage make it, so let the larger percentage who fall short enjoy their moment rather than belittle them!!
By the way, I completely agree with you and my grievances are not aimed at you - I understand you already know this but just wanted to clarify

Redopium

Liverpool u23's v Blackburn u23's 16.00.

Kelleher, Whelan, Lewis, Masterson, Johnston, Randall, Camacho, Woodburn, Brewster, Christie-Davis, Jones.

Subs: Atherton, Gallacher, McAulley, Juanma

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Liverpool u23's 1-2 Blackburn u23's, FT, Johnson with our goal.

I missed the U23 game yesterday. Had it on my calendar for today. Just seen our line up and it looked pretty good although maybe a bit young for the age group. Can anyone give me some idea of how we played, particularly the better known players like Curtis Jones and Rhian Brewster.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I'm the prime suspect for overrating Liverpool's youth players but I don't think there was a better time for a talented youth player to be at Liverpool than now. Each and every one of them has a genuine chance of making it because of Klopp and his belief in hard work and merit. I hope that we'll see a few of them follow in Trent's footsteps - I imagine Hoever and Brewster are next in line but Jones, Rhys Williams and Larouci shouldn't be far behind. Camacho would certainly be in discussion but it remains to be seen whether he extends his contract.

Thomas1195

I imagine Hoever and Brewster are next in line but Jones, Rhys Williams
Curtis Jones is unlikely to break through because our midfield is very packed and Julian Brandt is coming, while Keita and AOC does not even peak yet.

On the other hand, Timo Werner seems to have chosen Bayern, which means Brewster will have much larger chance.

Hoever's prospect as a RB in our club will be extremely bleak if Trent keeps improving and goes on to become a Gary Neville of our club like most of our fans want. In such case, his paths will be: become a CB; leave the club; accept that he will become an equivalent of Wes Brown.
(Of course I am no United fan but I cannot find a more similar example than Gary Neville - Wes Brown).

Medjool

Curtis Jones is unlikely to break through because our midfield is very packed and Julian Brandt is coming, while Keita and AOC does not even peak yet.

On the other hand, Timo Werner seems to have chosen Bayern, which means Brewster will have much larger chance.

Hoever's prospect as a RB in our club will be extremely bleak if Trent keeps improving and goes on to become a Gary Neville of our club like most of our fans want. In such case, his paths will be: become a CB; leave the club; accept that he will become an equivalent of Wes Brown.
(Of course I am no United fan but I cannot find a more similar example than Gary Neville - Wes Brown).
"a Gary Neville of our club"? Rat boy? "I hate Liverpool", that Neville? That's two references you've made to the scum Thomas, you also have in the "who would you buy" thread. No offence to you personally but it leaves me feeling a bit sick to be honest. We are Liverpool.

Thomas1195

"a Gary Neville of our club"? Rat boy? "I hate Liverpool", that Neville? That's two references you've made to the scum Thomas, you also have in the "who would you buy" thread. No offence to you personally but it leaves me feeling a bit sick to be honest. We are Liverpool.
Sorry if it offends you guys. Let's rephrase: if TAA goes on to become an equivalent to Phillip Lahm of Liver, Hoever's future will be very bleak unless he becomes a CB. I tried to find an example of a club wing-back legend who comes from a club's youth system and remain that club's key player for the rest of his career. Unless TAA get a horrible injury or horribly decline, he will dominate the right back for the next decade.

But I cannot find similar examples of O'Shea and Wes Brown because in other clubs, club-trained players tend to be sold if they do not become stars, rather than being kept as reliable substitutes who are ready to step in when the starters get injured.

Last edited:

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Sorry if it offends you guys. Let's rephrase: if TAA goes on to become an equivalent to Phillip Lahm of Liver, Hoever's future will be very bleak unless he becomes a CB. I tried to find an example of a club wing-back legend who comes from a club's youth system and remain that club's key player for the rest of his career. Unless TAA get a horrible injury or horribly decline, he will dominate the right back for the next decade.

But I cannot find similar examples of O'Shea and Wes Brown because in other clubs, club-trained players tend to be sold if they do not become stars, rather than being kept as reliable substitutes who are ready to step in when the starters get injured.

Hoever primarily is a centre back.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team

Sorry but.
Jamie Carragher: ‘Nobody wants to grow up to be a Gary Neville’

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
For what it's worth Trent Alexander-Arnold is only 20 and showing signs of being a combination of the best qualities of both Gary Neville (who was a good full back in defensive and supportive aspects) and David Beckham (who was a good winger from a tactical and creative view point) plus speed. Even Lahm wasn't as good all round as Trent is showing he is becoming.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
For what it's worth Trent Alexander-Arnold is only 20 and showing signs of being a combination of the best qualities of both Gary Neville (who was a good full back in defensive and supportive aspects) and David Beckham (who was a good winger from a tactical and creative view point) plus speed. Even Lahm wasn't as good all round as Trent is showing he is becoming.
Not sure about that, Lahm was equally good at both fullback positions (and that at frankly ridiculous level) and he also played as a midfielder pretty well when Guardiola took over. That said, I couldn't be more proud of TAA even if I wanted to, not just because he's growing into a good player but because of the example he sets. Kids know they have a chance just by looking at what he's done and I hope it inspires a fair few of Liverpool's academy players to raise their levels.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Are You serious about Beckham? Had a good set piece and good delivery but had no pace and lacked skill to take on his man. Probably the most overhyped English player ever whos marketability got mistaken for his actually footballing ability

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Are You serious about Beckham? Had a good set piece and good delivery but had no pace and lacked skill to take on his man. Probably the most overhyped English player ever whos marketability got mistaken for his actually footballing ability
Did you read my post? I credited Beckham with creativity and being tactical. I credited Neville with defensive ability and being able to support from full back. I added pace to both of those as Trent has more than either of them.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Not sure about that, Lahm was equally good at both fullback positions (and that at frankly ridiculous level) and he also played as a midfielder pretty well when Guardiola took over. That said, I couldn't be more proud of TAA even if I wanted to, not just because he's growing into a good player but because of the example he sets. Kids know they have a chance just by looking at what he's done and I hope it inspires a fair few of Liverpool's academy players to raise their levels.
Not to question the incredible talent or long (successful) career of Lahm but at Trents age he was out on loan proving himself at a lesser club. Not setting assist records for a title challenging, back to back champions league final making side!

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Did you read my post? I credited Beckham with creativity and being tactical. I credited Neville with defensive ability and being able to support from full back. I added pace to both of those as Trent has more than either of them.
Why compair him tó Beckham though. Beckham has probably only about 50% of trent's creativity. Beckham was above average but vastly overrated

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Why compair him tó Beckham though. Beckham has probably only about 50% of trent's creativity. Beckham was above average but vastly overrated
Whether you like him or not Beckham was one of the best, most accurate, crossers of the ball in modern years. Limited in many ways but his crossing and set piece delivery was phenomenal and the reason United at peak and Real during the Galactico era made teams that revolved around a player who was limited in many ways. Saying someone can cross the ball like Beckham is accepted vocabulary within the sport and many commentators make the comparison with Trent. His reading of the game for a 20 year old is off the scale as proven with the 4th goal against Barca. His accuracy is approaching peak Beckham levels and he will still improve. Many turn lazy and just focus on Trents offensive play though. He's actually developed into a very solid full back defensively already. Add his pace to this and we have an incredibly talented player on our hands and even Lineker is predicting England Captaincy style status in his future.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Whether you like him or not Beckham was one of the best, most accurate, crossers of the ball in modern years. Limited in many ways but his crossing and set piece delivery was phenomenal and the reason United at peak and Real during the Galactico era made teams that revolved around a player who was limited in many ways. Saying someone can cross the ball like Beckham is accepted vocabulary within the sport and many commentators make the comparison with Trent. His reading of the game for a 20 year old is off the scale as proven with the 4th goal against Barca. His accuracy is approaching peak Beckham levels and he will still improve. Many turn lazy and just focus on Trents offensive play though. He's actually developed into a very solid full back defensively already. Add his pace to this and we have an incredibly talented player on our hands and even Lineker is predicting England Captaincy style status in his future.
100% agree about trent totally disagree about Beckham.

Joe Gomez x

Conor Masterson, Juanma, McCauley, Randall, Adekanye and Whelan have all been released or sold. Just seen on a few academy lads instagrams wishing them luck in the future. Not 100% sure if for sure but pretty likely

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Can't see the goal but don't care. The game against Wolves was enough for me to know that KJH will be a star in the future.

Hope he will be our 3rd choice RB next season and starts all games against non PL sides in the domestic cups.

Sweeting

Conor Masterson, Juanma, McCauley, Randall, Adekanye and Whelan have all been released or sold. Just seen on a few academy lads instagrams wishing them luck in the future. Not 100% sure if for sure but pretty likely
Conor Masterson linked with Norwich City
Corey Whelan could go back to Crewe
Bobby Adekanye expected to move to Lazio

No links yet for Juanma, McAuley or Randall from what I can see.

Other players I think could be moved on are Tony Gallacher, Ben Williams, Isaac Christie-Davies and Nathaniel Phillips.

Rafa Camacho and Bobby Duncan are reportedly considering leaving to gain further first team chances elsewhere.

Last edited: