Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Nikola

Potless.
Admin
For what it's worth Trent Alexander-Arnold is only 20 and showing signs of being a combination of the best qualities of both Gary Neville (who was a good full back in defensive and supportive aspects) and David Beckham (who was a good winger from a tactical and creative view point) plus speed. Even Lahm wasn't as good all round as Trent is showing he is becoming.
Not sure about that, Lahm was equally good at both fullback positions (and that at frankly ridiculous level) and he also played as a midfielder pretty well when Guardiola took over. That said, I couldn't be more proud of TAA even if I wanted to, not just because he's growing into a good player but because of the example he sets. Kids know they have a chance just by looking at what he's done and I hope it inspires a fair few of Liverpool's academy players to raise their levels.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
For what it's worth Trent Alexander-Arnold is only 20 and showing signs of being a combination of the best qualities of both Gary Neville (who was a good full back in defensive and supportive aspects) and David Beckham (who was a good winger from a tactical and creative view point) plus speed. Even Lahm wasn't as good all round as Trent is showing he is becoming.
Are You serious about Beckham? Had a good set piece and good delivery but had no pace and lacked skill to take on his man. Probably the most overhyped English player ever whos marketability got mistaken for his actually footballing ability

Anfield rd Dreamer

Are You serious about Beckham? Had a good set piece and good delivery but had no pace and lacked skill to take on his man. Probably the most overhyped English player ever whos marketability got mistaken for his actually footballing ability
Did you read my post? I credited Beckham with creativity and being tactical. I credited Neville with defensive ability and being able to support from full back. I added pace to both of those as Trent has more than either of them.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Not sure about that, Lahm was equally good at both fullback positions (and that at frankly ridiculous level) and he also played as a midfielder pretty well when Guardiola took over. That said, I couldn't be more proud of TAA even if I wanted to, not just because he's growing into a good player but because of the example he sets. Kids know they have a chance just by looking at what he's done and I hope it inspires a fair few of Liverpool's academy players to raise their levels.
Not to question the incredible talent or long (successful) career of Lahm but at Trents age he was out on loan proving himself at a lesser club. Not setting assist records for a title challenging, back to back champions league final making side!

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Did you read my post? I credited Beckham with creativity and being tactical. I credited Neville with defensive ability and being able to support from full back. I added pace to both of those as Trent has more than either of them.
Why compair him tó Beckham though. Beckham has probably only about 50% of trent's creativity. Beckham was above average but vastly overrated

Anfield rd Dreamer

Why compair him tó Beckham though. Beckham has probably only about 50% of trent's creativity. Beckham was above average but vastly overrated
Whether you like him or not Beckham was one of the best, most accurate, crossers of the ball in modern years. Limited in many ways but his crossing and set piece delivery was phenomenal and the reason United at peak and Real during the Galactico era made teams that revolved around a player who was limited in many ways. Saying someone can cross the ball like Beckham is accepted vocabulary within the sport and many commentators make the comparison with Trent. His reading of the game for a 20 year old is off the scale as proven with the 4th goal against Barca. His accuracy is approaching peak Beckham levels and he will still improve. Many turn lazy and just focus on Trents offensive play though. He's actually developed into a very solid full back defensively already. Add his pace to this and we have an incredibly talented player on our hands and even Lineker is predicting England Captaincy style status in his future.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Whether you like him or not Beckham was one of the best, most accurate, crossers of the ball in modern years. Limited in many ways but his crossing and set piece delivery was phenomenal and the reason United at peak and Real during the Galactico era made teams that revolved around a player who was limited in many ways. Saying someone can cross the ball like Beckham is accepted vocabulary within the sport and many commentators make the comparison with Trent. His reading of the game for a 20 year old is off the scale as proven with the 4th goal against Barca. His accuracy is approaching peak Beckham levels and he will still improve. Many turn lazy and just focus on Trents offensive play though. He's actually developed into a very solid full back defensively already. Add his pace to this and we have an incredibly talented player on our hands and even Lineker is predicting England Captaincy style status in his future.
100% agree about trent totally disagree about Beckham.

Joe Gomez x

Conor Masterson, Juanma, McCauley, Randall, Adekanye and Whelan have all been released or sold. Just seen on a few academy lads instagrams wishing them luck in the future. Not 100% sure if for sure but pretty likely

GermanRed

Can't see the goal but don't care. The game against Wolves was enough for me to know that KJH will be a star in the future.

Hope he will be our 3rd choice RB next season and starts all games against non PL sides in the domestic cups.

Sweeting

Conor Masterson, Juanma, McCauley, Randall, Adekanye and Whelan have all been released or sold. Just seen on a few academy lads instagrams wishing them luck in the future. Not 100% sure if for sure but pretty likely
Conor Masterson linked with Norwich City
Corey Whelan could go back to Crewe
Bobby Adekanye expected to move to Lazio

No links yet for Juanma, McAuley or Randall from what I can see.

Other players I think could be moved on are Tony Gallacher, Ben Williams, Isaac Christie-Davies and Nathaniel Phillips.

Rafa Camacho and Bobby Duncan are reportedly considering leaving to gain further first team chances elsewhere.

Last edited:

Joe Gomez x

Rafa Camacho and Bobby Duncan are reportedly considering leaving to gain further first team chances elsewhere.

Rafa Camacho and Bobby
Bit surprised Bobby Duncan could look to leave. He’s just had a successful season at the u18s and what he’s around 17/18 and looking likely to be moved up to the u23s for the 2019/2020 season. I’d say his chances will come most likely in pre season this summer. Quite impatient I would think to be looking to leave after only one season at u18s?

Sweeting

Bit surprised Bobby Duncan could look to leave. He’s just had a successful season at the u18s and what he’s around 17/18 and looking likely to be moved up to the u23s for the 2019/2020 season. I’d say his chances will come most likely in pre season this summer. Quite impatient I would think to be looking to leave after only one season at u18s?
They could be idle media reports but if you google his name there are a few different sources reporting that he is considering a move to Germany. Sancho's success in Germany seems to have painted a picture to English players that they will all succeed over there.

Redopium

The Dutch have just beaten Italy 4:2 and Hoever was lucky not to see red but apart from that they were brilliant now I understand why they have beaten England 5:2
Saw Hoever free kick that come back off the post and put in by team mate, one assist for him.

Sweeting

Conor Masterson linked with Norwich City
Corey Whelan could go back to Crewe
Bobby Adekanye expected to move to Lazio

No links yet for Juanma, McAuley or Randall from what I can see.

Other players I think could be moved on are Tony Gallacher, Ben Williams, Isaac Christie-Davies and Nathaniel Phillips.

The Liverpool Echo now saying Connor Randall has a range of teams to select from in England and Scotland. He apparently love his time at Hearts so maybe he will go back up there.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Lahm made his debut in the Bundesliga at the age of roughly 20, on loan at Stuttgart. He stayed two years there, before he came back to Bayern. He then played the role of Lizarazu's sub in the 05/06 season, before effectively stamping his position in the team during the 06/07 season, as a left back. He was then aged 23.

It's thus fair to say that Trent is two-three years ahead of Lahm in terms of being able to nail down a position in a top team, and that's before you start to reflect about his actual contribution, which has been immense over the last two seasons. I appreciate that the situation for Trent was 'easier' than for Lahm: Lizarazu and Sagnol were legends at Bayern, and there was no way past them. Lahm became a regular starter when Lizarazu retired, not much before that. Trent had to get past Clyne, a good player in his own right, but nowhere as important to the team as Sagnol and Lizarazu were.

Where I agree with you is regarding Lahm's versatility, which was exceptional. I don't think that Trent will ever become as versatile. Why would he need to by the way? He's the perfect modern right back, no need to move him around the pitch. Although, looking at his qualities, he'd certainly be able to to play at left back if needed, or even on either wing. But I think that he has found his position and will stay there for quite some time from now.

Nikola

Potless.
Admin
Lahm made his debut in the Bundesliga at the age of roughly 20, on loan at Stuttgart. He stayed two years there, before he came back to Bayern. He then played the role of Lizarazu's sub in the 05/06 season, before effectively stamping his position in the team during the 06/07 season, as a left back. He was then aged 23.

It's thus fair to say that Trent is two-three years ahead of Lahm in terms of being able to nail down a position in a top team, and that's before you start to reflect about his actual contribution, which has been immense over the last two seasons. I appreciate that the situation for Trent was 'easier' than for Lahm: Lizarazu and Sagnol were legends at Bayern, and there was no way past them. Lahm became a regular starter when Lizarazu retired, not much before that. Trent had to get past Clyne, a good player in his own right, but nowhere as important to the team as Sagnol and Lizarazu were.

Where I agree with you is regarding Lahm's versatility, which was exceptional. I don't think that Trent will ever become as versatile. Why would he need to by the way? He's the perfect modern right back, no need to move him around the pitch. Although, looking at his qualities, he'd certainly be able to to play at left back if needed, or even on either wing. But I think that he has found his position and will stay there for quite some time from now.
I really hope so. I understand when people call for him to be moved into midfield (because of his passing ability if nothing else) but to have such a fullback is a blessing. His impact, though, can stretch beyond the pitch - I imagine that a lot of kids will look at him and remember that he made his league debut as a teenager, starting at Old Trafford.

Having the likes of Kimmich and Alaba is the way forward in football in my opinion, a natural progression from the likes of Lahm, Zanetti, Zambrotta etc. Lahm really set the standard for me, though, a majestic player. I agree, Trent has a few years on him but Lahm was really something else at his peak and Guardiola really brought out the best of him in terms of reading the game and maximising his technical qualities. Alaba and Kimmich followed in his footsteps and I really hope Trent (and Hoever) will join that special group of modern "fullbacks".