Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I know it won't happen but I am still so keen to see Ojo make it. The lad has more talent in one leg than most PL players.
Totally onboard with this and to be honest I'm surprised he's still only 21.. Feels he's been around (or talked about for many years).

He has all the raw ability and physicality you need to succeed, just never consistently puts it together. I think this is why I always saw him having a better chance than Wilson, Wilson is technically better, probably tactically better but just doesn't have that quick acceleration over 5 yards from a standing start I think is so so key at the highest level.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
Ojo's always been inconsistent but in youth teams he played about every possible role in the front five and he played them well, I really expected him to become a complete winger. He sounded driven in his interviews, self-confident without being arrogant, I really had high hopes of him. He even had decent outings in Klopp's first season, even if those games weren't of the highest profile.

I'm not sure what happened to him, I hope it's just a period of mental weakness that can be overcome if he comes across a coach who knows how to help a young player, lift his spirits and then work on maximising his potential. I think that's why Chelsea sent Mount and Tomori to Derby County, for example, I wouldn't bet against Liverpool sending Wilson there, too, because of Jody Morris' presence.

I'd be lying if I said I still believe Ojo will make it at Liverpool and that I'm not surprised by the contract extension because it's essentially been a two-season slump for him with these failed loans. However, I hope from the bottom of my heart he manages to turn his fortunes around and prove me wrong, especially because he has a rare combination of physical and technical qualities., especially his acceleration, unseen from a Liverpool player in my opinion, Klopp surely loves that in a forward.

These kids needs a bit of luck in the right time, I hope he and Woodburn get it like Wilson did - no injuries and a good loan at this age could do wonders to their careers.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ojo's always been inconsistent but in youth teams he played about every possible role in the front five and he played them well, I really expected him to become a complete winger. He sounded driven in his interviews, self-confident without being arrogant, I really had high hopes of him. He even had decent outings in Klopp's first season, even if those games weren't of the highest profile.

I'm not sure what happened to him, I hope it's just a period of mental weakness that can be overcome if he comes across a coach who knows how to help a young player, lift his spirits and then work on maximising his potential. I think that's why Chelsea sent Mount and Tomori to Derby County, for example, I wouldn't bet against Liverpool sending Wilson there, too, because of Jody Morris' presence.

I'd be lying if I said I still believe Ojo will make it at Liverpool and that I'm not surprised by the contract extension because it's essentially been a two-season slump for him with these failed loans. However, I hope from the bottom of my heart he manages to turn his fortunes around and prove me wrong, especially because he has a rare combination of physical and technical qualities., especially his acceleration, unseen from a Liverpool player in my opinion, Klopp surely loves that in a forward.

These kids needs a bit of luck in the right time, I hope he and Woodburn get it like Wilson did - no injuries and a good loan at this age could do wonders to their careers.
My feeling is that in many ways Ojo is similar to Pogba. Exceptional physical and technical gifts far above those of his peers going through the youth system. Playing at a top level club going through their respective academies, it was all too easy for them. They were by far the best because of their natural physicality combined with their talent gave them a significant advantage over every other player. You can see it in Pogba and you can see it in Ojo, their attributes have created complacency. Pogba got out and moved to Juventus where he had to prove himself. He thrived in that environment and, dare I say it, he was also driven to shove racist taunts down the throats of opposition fans. Back at the place where his legend already existed, where he grew up dominating his peers by virtue simply of his physical attributes, complacency has set back in again. It's all too easy for him. It's also apparent that he's de-motivated by the quality of his team-mates.

Ojo, I feel, is similar. He didn't really have to try too hard to be by far the best player on the pitch. I get the impression that this has led to a period where he became complacent. Everything up to the age of about 18/19 just happened for him without him even trying. He probably just took playing for the first team for granted forgetting that his physical attributes would not be enough. From the outside looking in, I get the impression that he struggled to deal with that. That's not unusual when you're still so young...immaturity, petulance even.

I don't know what it might take for him to realise he's got this wonderful gift that he's in danger of wasting if he doesn't immediately knuckle down and dedicate himself to being the best he can be. Unfortunately, like Pogba, I do not think that happens without a change in environment.

redfanman

TIA Regular

Hopefully, Origi proves to be an uplifting example for these young players - and shows them that even a couple of failed/poor loans are not the end for them.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Personally I think apart from being complacent, Ojo could also be thick and not following his instructions. Otherwise I don't see any other reason for him not kicking on as he has all the tools. I expect him to be sold this or next summer.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
My feeling is that in many ways Ojo is similar to Pogba. Exceptional physical and technical gifts far above those of his peers going through the youth system. Playing at a top level club going through their respective academies, it was all too easy for them. They were by far the best because of their natural physicality combined with their talent gave them a significant advantage over every other player. You can see it in Pogba and you can see it in Ojo, their attributes have created complacency. Pogba got out and moved to Juventus where he had to prove himself. He thrived in that environment and, dare I say it, he was also driven to shove racist taunts down the throats of opposition fans. Back at the place where his legend already existed, where he grew up dominating his peers by virtue simply of his physical attributes, complacency has set back in again. It's all too easy for him. It's also apparent that he's de-motivated by the quality of his team-mates.

Ojo, I feel, is similar. He didn't really have to try too hard to be by far the best player on the pitch. I get the impression that this has led to a period where he became complacent. Everything up to the age of about 18/19 just happened for him without him even trying. He probably just took playing for the first team for granted forgetting that his physical attributes would not be enough. From the outside looking in, I get the impression that he struggled to deal with that. That's not unusual when you're still so young...immaturity, petulance even.

I don't know what it might take for him to realise he's got this wonderful gift that he's in danger of wasting if he doesn't immediately knuckle down and dedicate himself to being the best he can be. Unfortunately, like Pogba, I do not think that happens without a change in environment.
It's a good comparison. Reputation comes into play, too, as Ojo was (and I believe he still is) the most expensive 14-year old in English football. Stronger and quicker than all his whole life, yeah, it probably played a big part in his recent travails. That said, he never sounded immature in his interviews, at least not in my opinion. He might take out a leaf from Sterling's book, in all honesty, he worked so bloody hard to become what he is (and he also spent his whole football upbringing being stronger and quicker than all).

If club didn't think he could turn it around, they wouldn't offer him a new contract, though, which surprised me a fair bit. That said, what if that change in environment should actually be no change at all, i.e. him remaining at Liverpool for a while? It's done wonders to Origi, I still can't believe he got to the point where club think he should be offered a new contract (sorry, @ILLOK!). I can't remember the last time Ojo spent a prolonged period of time with Liverpool (2016 maybe, when he was injured?), maybe stability is what he needs? I'm contradicting my previous post in a way but that coach (or coaches) who could help him turn his career around could be Critchley (as he's still elligible for U23s) and/or Klopp...

Whatever happens, I really hope we will talk about him in a few years' time the way we talk about Origi now. I really hope his problems are based on lack of self-confidence and/or consistency, rather than work rate or motivation.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Just having a look at the players who went on loan this year.

Pedro Chirivella – Extremadura UD - sell
Liam Millar – Kilmarnock - sell
Ovie Ejaria – Reading - sell
Kamil Grabara – AGF Aarhus - another loan
Nathaniel Clyne – Bournemouth - sell
Danny Ings – Southampton - sell
Loris Karius – Besiktas - sell
Marko Grujic – Hertha Berlin - another loan
Sheyi Ojo – Reims - Debatable
Ryan Kent – Rangers - sell
Harry Wilson – Derby - PL loan or squad role here
Adam Bogdan – Hibernian - sell
Taiwo Awoniyi – Royal Excel Mouscron - sell?
Allan Rodrigues – Eintracht Frankfurt - sell
Anderson Arroyo – KAA Gent - ???
Herbie Kane – Doncaster Rovers -???
Woodburn - another loan?

What do you guys think?

Sweeting

Just having a look at the players who went on loan this year.

Pedro Chirivella – Extremadura UD - sell
Liam Millar – Kilmarnock - sell
Ovie Ejaria – Reading - sell
Kamil Grabara – AGF Aarhus - another loan
Nathaniel Clyne – Bournemouth - sell
Danny Ings – Southampton - sell
Loris Karius – Besiktas - sell
Marko Grujic – Hertha Berlin - another loan
Sheyi Ojo – Reims - Debatable
Ryan Kent – Rangers - sell
Harry Wilson – Derby - PL loan or squad role here
Adam Bogdan – Hibernian - sell
Taiwo Awoniyi – Royal Excel Mouscron - sell?
Allan Rodrigues – Eintracht Frankfurt - sell
Anderson Arroyo – KAA Gent - ???
Herbie Kane – Doncaster Rovers -???
Woodburn - another loan?

What do you guys think?
I think long term you are right on the guys you have said to sell but I don't think they'll all go this year. Millar and Ejaria for example could both be held on to in the expectation that their value is about to rise with another good loan.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Very pleased for Tranmere, would love to see them make it 3 in a row and end up in the Championship.

They become a legitimate place to send our players again. Herbie Kane has had a great loan in League 1 this year so I don't see why we wouldn't send more players out there.

They won't get somebody like Jones, but maybe Christie-Davies, Nathaniel Phillips or George Johnston could get a game there. I actually think it'd be a good place for Adam Lewis to get some senior football too.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Very pleased for Tranmere, would love to see them make it 3 in a row and end up in the Championship.

They become a legitimate place to send our players again. Herbie Kane has had a great loan in League 1 this year so I don't see why we wouldn't send more players out there.

They won't get somebody like Jones, but maybe Christie-Davies, Nathaniel Phillips or George Johnston could get a game there. I actually think it'd be a good place for Adam Lewis to get some senior football too.
A benefit is how nearby it is. No reason why agreements couldn't be made for semi regular training sessions with us during the loan so we can keep up to date on development and still have an impact on it. Always believed we don't link up enough with Tranmere full stop anyway.

Joe Gomez x

Just seen a video on that Liverpool have just signed a youth goalkeeper from Poland called Jakub Ojrzyński. Signed for 200,000 from Legia Warsaw, the 16 year old is a member of Poland U16 and has signed for us over Manchester United.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Just throwing an idea out there to those that are keeping better track of our academy players than I have been (really don't seem to have much time these days).

Always wanted Liverpool to get to the point where we would have a lot of academy players in our squad and despite improvements in the quality graduating it still seems we don't have what I'd like although hoping we do soon.

Was wondering what would be the closest to an open age range academy 11? And how many of them would then stand chances of making it with us.

Had a think and I'd go with;

Kelleher; Alexander-Arnold, Hoever, Gomez, Larouchi; Lewis, Jones, Wilson; Camacho, Woodburn, Brewster.

It's only for fun but to explain a few choices; no idea at all which out of Kelleher and Grabara is best prospect. We don't seem to have many CM options I can think of (I don't really see Grujic as one of our academy players) so used Lewis and Wilson who have played CM and used another LB I've heard good things about (but maybe spelt his name wrong). Up front I've tried to match up to the senior set up so used Brewster and Camacho as the Salah and Mane roles with Woodburn as Firmino. And obviously Camacho is probably off but he's in there for me till he does leave.

Others might line us up differently or choose completely different players. I'd quite like to know who the TIA experts would pick and how many of my picks and their picks they think could make it for us.

If I'm feeling ruthless I think only Hoever, Jones and Brewster would join Alexander-Arnold and Gomez as players who make it with us. But I'm hopeful Larouchi, Lewis, Wilson, Woodburn and one of the keepers make it with us.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Maybe a spot for Herbie kane, he had a very successful loan at Doncaster. It would surprise me if he wasn't loaned out to championship team this year to see how he performs.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
I refuse to give up on Woodburn but lad will need some good circumstances to align for him, starting with his fitness and then with him nailing down a role (I think it will be a central one, anything ranging from DM to CF - I think he's a player who will like to have the ball as much as possible and make things happen but I've also been impressed by his movement).

Seeing that Brewster has been promoted to first team squad, I won't comment on him. I have high hopes for Hoever, Jones, Larouci and Rhys Williams but I seriously hope Fidel O'Rourke makes it at Liverpool because look at that name! A future cult hero, surely! Herbie Kane and Clarkson are probably dark horses in this race. Hoever probably won't be going out on loan, in my opinion, the rest of them might.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Found this on YouTube, a bit random (hour-podcasts with youth players), but I'll just throw it here if someone wants to listen:

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
I refuse to give up on Woodburn but lad will need some good circumstances to align for him, starting with his fitness and then with him nailing down a role (I think it will be a central one, anything ranging from DM to CF - I think he's a player who will like to have the ball as much as possible and make things happen but I've also been impressed by his movement).

Seeing that Brewster has been promoted to first team squad, I won't comment on him. I have high hopes for Hoever, Jones, Larouci and Rhys Williams but I seriously hope Fidel O'Rourke makes it at Liverpool because look at that name! A future cult hero, surely! Herbie Kane and Clarkson are probably dark horses in this race. Hoever probably won't be going out on loan, in my opinion, the rest of them might.

Future cult hero because of names will absolutely have to include Louis Longstaff lol

Sweeting

Liverpool signing two youth players from Sunderland according to Sunderland's owner.

I imagine one of them is Luca Stephenson, 16 year old midfielder we tried to sign last year.

No idea on the other.

Sweeting

He was better than most of the other options we had at the time. Now, he's not. His game has regressed and we've got better.
This post, from November 5th, did not age well @ILLOK ! (It was about Origi)

Edvard Tagseth leaving Liverpool - he spent the end of the season training with Rosenborg U19s.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
This post, from November 5th, did not age well @ILLOK ! (It was about Origi)

Edvard Tagseth leaving Liverpool - he spent the end of the season training with Rosenborg U19s.
Tagseth is a strange one, wasn’t Gerrard wax lyrical about him?

Sweeting

Tagseth is a strange one, wasn’t Gerrard wax lyrical about him?
Yeah he is a really good prospect but he has barely kicked a ball since getting here. He joined as a player to be fast tracked into the 1st team set up but injuries mean he is not even considered an U23 regular.

Apparently he wants more first team chances and could get that many places around Europe (possibly even joining Gerrard at Rangers).

Sweeting

Not sure how it works but Liverpool have offered Tagseth a contract.

Apparently it is Tagseth who wants to leave - he told Norway media in March that he was going to leave at the end of his contract and Paul Glatzel confirmed as much on his Instagram but wishing him good luck with his next move.

Adekanye is also listed as having a contract offer but he has apparently already signed for Lazio.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Apparently it is Tagseth who wants to leave - he told Norway media in March that he was going to leave at the end of his contract and Paul Glatzel confirmed as much on his Instagram but wishing him good luck with his next move.

Adekanye is also listed as having a contract offer but he has apparently already signed for Lazio.
A contract offer (on terms at least equivalent to their existing deal) is a necessary step if the club is going to be entitled to receive training compensation. Sometimes the clubs know that the player is set on leaving when their existing deal runs out but can only receive training compensation if they have offered the player a new contract.