• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I refuse to give up on Woodburn but lad will need some good circumstances to align for him, starting with his fitness and then with him nailing down a role (I think it will be a central one, anything ranging from DM to CF - I think he's a player who will like to have the ball as much as possible and make things happen but I've also been impressed by his movement).

Seeing that Brewster has been promoted to first team squad, I won't comment on him. I have high hopes for Hoever, Jones, Larouci and Rhys Williams but I seriously hope Fidel O'Rourke makes it at Liverpool because look at that name! A future cult hero, surely! Herbie Kane and Clarkson are probably dark horses in this race. Hoever probably won't be going out on loan, in my opinion, the rest of them might.

Sadly Ben Woodburn seemed to get a bit heavier without getting taller. I think his more chunky physic has taken a vital edge off his game.Would love to see him bounce back but doubt if he will be the player we had all hoped to see a couple of seasons ago. I hope he can still carve out a decent career in the game.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Sadly Ben Woodburn seemed to get a bit heavier without getting taller. I think his more chunky physic has taken a vital edge off his game.Would love to see him bounce back but doubt if he will be the player we had all hoped to see a couple of seasons ago. I hope he can still carve out a decent career in the game.
Obviously meant phyisique :)

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
How’s this tony gallacher player doing?
Scottish left back we signed from Falkirk a year or so ago.
Is he ready to step up to first team yet?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
He's not even starting regularly for the U23's, on the bench as backup.

Danny_

The guy is talented but he is missing that yard of pace. That doesn't mean that he can't make it - it just makes it more difficult to know where to fit him into the team. It's coming towards the crunch time for him - next year, he has to start to impress and get a few games in the first team. If not, I fear that he might join the ranks of the many wonder kids that never made it.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Barry Lewtas (U18s coach) says Sharif always beasts the fitness tests and works his bollocks off (paraphrasing). He hasn't stood out to me too much on the odd occasion I've seen him play but he seems primed to be a box to box midfielder. Gini, Milner and Henderson would appear to be the perfect players to learn from.

Sigurvegari

TIA New Signing
Liverpool U23s: Atherton, N Williams, Gallacher, R Williams (Clayton), Boyes (Koumetio), Chirivella (Ritaccio), Sharif, Longstaff (Bearne), Kane, Christie-Davies, O'Rourke (Dixon-Bonner).

So Atherton signed extension too. Koumetio - new youngster from Lyon, signed in January.

Tagseth (Rosenborg) and Raitanen (Fortuna Sittard) - gone from academy section of official site.

Last edited:

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Which youth or former youth player could still be sold in this window?

I think Wilson and Kent will be sold.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Which youth or former youth player could still be sold in this window?

I think Wilson and Kent will be sold.
Kent and Wilson should both be involved on the US tour, let's see where it goes. I'd be surprised if Kent makes it through the summer, who knows about Wilson. If we really aren't bringing a big name in, I've no problem keeping one for depth, and that's probably Wilson.

Saying that, I could see Kent's directness and pace being beneficial in the last 20 minutes of games, even if you don't want to see starting for 6 games in a row. Out of the two, I'd be surprised if he is still in the squad when the season starts, but they'll all get a chance. Maybe Kent only needs to be in a team surrounded by great players to really show what he's got.

GermanRed

If we would have to replace Salah, Firmino and Mané in an important game my favorite Front three would be Ox (LW), Origi (CF), Shaqiri (RW). Even in that (unrealistic) scenario Brewster would still be ahead of Wilson and Kent.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
If we would have to replace Salah, Firmino and Mané in an important game my favorite Front three would be Ox (LW), Origi (CF), Shaqiri (RW). Even in that (unrealistic) scenario Brewster would still be ahead of Wilson and Kent.
Has Ox even started a game in a front 3 for us yet? I can't remember but don't think he has. Couple of appearances wide in 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1. But almost exclusively as a CM since the move here. Klopp hasn't been keen to use Shaqiri in a front 3 either, nearly all his appearances were in 4231 too.

GermanRed

Has Ox even started a game in a front 3 for us yet? I can't remember but don't think he has. Couple of appearances wide in 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1. But almost exclusively as a CM since the move here. Klopp hasn't been keen to use Shaqiri in a front 3 either, nearly all his appearances were in 4231 too.
Not even sure Ox has ever started as a Left Winger but i think from our squad he would be best suited to try to replace Mané.

Shaqiri was used as a Left Winger once last season (not sure which game it was) and wasn't he a Right Winger in THAT game against Barca? Of course he is a different type of 'winger' than Salah. I would say Salah is a right forward while Shaqiri is a right midfielder.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Not even sure Ox has ever started as a Left Winger but i think from our squad he would be best suited to try to replace Mané.

Shaqiri was used as a Left Winger once last season (not sure which game it was) and wasn't he a Right Winger in THAT game against Barca? Of course he is a different type of 'winger' than Salah. I would say Salah is a right forward while Shaqiri is a right midfielder.
Yeah so although we may get away with it here and there essentially our back up plans for Salah and Mane (two similar players who are incredibly important parts of our ideal attack and both start as often as possible) are completely different types of players. Its hardly ideal like.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I remember that song by Musical Youth when I was a kid:

Play Larouci on the left hand side
Play Larouci on the left hand side
I don't get the reference, unfortunately... :( But I know When You Don't Larouci Me by The Sisters Of Mercy! lol

It's good to see him playing tonight against Tranmere, I hope he makes the most out of it. Liverpool handpicked him from Le Havre and while he did change his initial position, he's been very bright for U18s. Well built, good pace, obvious attacking instincts, technique and skill... A bit one-footed, though, and I don't think he'd be able to handle PL wingers, so probably two more years before he can be considered a first team member, provided his progress continues at last season's trajectory.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I don't get the reference, unfortunately... :-( But I know When You Don't Larouci Me by The Sisters Of Mercy! lol

It's good to see him playing tonight against Tranmere, I hope he makes the most out of it. Liverpool handpicked him from Le Havre and while he did change his initial position, he's been very bright for U18s. Well built, good pace, obvious attacking instincts, technique and skill... A bit one-footed, though, and I don't think he'd be able to handle PL wingers, so probably two more years before he can be considered a first team member, provided his progress continues at last season's trajectory.
I'll be honest, i've been really excited by the thought of him breaking through ever since i first read about him in March. I've never seen him play though which makes the excitement even odder.

GermanRed

Glatzel and Duncan are our golden duo.

Was Captain Tsubasa a thing where you live or when you grew up?

In Germany it was huge.

Limiescouse

Yeah so although we may get away with it here and there essentially our back up plans for Salah and Mane (two similar players who are incredibly important parts of our ideal attack and both start as often as possible) are completely different types of players. Its hardly ideal like.
I think it's fine to say you don't think a specific player shouldn't play a role for us if you think he lacks the attributes. However, I think the way you have positioned that represents a fault that is common on here - that the required attributes are exactly those that the current incumbent of the shirt has.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think it's fine to say you don't think a specific player shouldn't play a role for us if you think he lacks the attributes. However, I think the way you have positioned that represents a fault that is common on here - that the required attributes are exactly those that the current incumbent of the shirt has.
I don't think I'm being too out of line. You wouldn't use wingers like Beckham and Downing to cover Salah and Mane just because they play roughly the same position. Salah and Mane are practically out and out strikers who start wide and cut inside to the space that is vacant because Firmino doesn't take it up like a traditional number 9. If you replace them with players like Ox and Shaqiri its different. Firmino isn't vacating the space for anyone in particular it's just being left vacant. What's more they'll either contest the wide areas meaning Robertson and Alexander-Arnold can't attack the space (as there isn't any space) or they'll be cutting into attacking midfield. I think at the club at moment the most natural cover we have for Salah and Mane is Origi, Brewster and Kent not guys like Shaqiri, Ox and Wilson.