• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Limiescouse

I don't think I'm being too out of line. You wouldn't use wingers like Beckham and Downing to cover Salah and Mane just because they play roughly the same position. Salah and Mane are practically out and out strikers who start wide and cut inside to the space that is vacant because Firmino doesn't take it up like a traditional number 9. If you replace them with players like Ox and Shaqiri its different. Firmino isn't vacating the space for anyone in particular it's just being left vacant. What's more they'll either contest the wide areas meaning Robertson and Alexander-Arnold can't attack the space (as there isn't any space) or they'll be cutting into attacking midfield. I think at the club at moment the most natural cover we have for Salah and Mane is Origi, Brewster and Kent not guys like Shaqiri, Ox and Wilson.
Lemar doesnt play like Mane or Salah. Neither does Fekir. Neither do Brandt or Draxler. Yet all are forwards we made serious attempts to sign. Hell, Phil didn't and he was still exceptional in the role. If Klopp can view how new players can still fit in despite having different attributes than Mane or Salah then it doesnt make sense to act like the requirement to play instead of them is being an analogue of them.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Lemar doesnt play like Mane or Salah. Neither does Fekir. Neither do Brandt or Draxler. Yet all are forwards we made serious attempts to sign. Hell, Phil didn't and he was still exceptional in the role. If Klopp can view how new players can still fit in despite having different attributes than Mane or Salah then it doesnt make sense to act like the requirement to play instead of them is being an analogue of them.
See I believe we were at one point trying to move from 433 to 4231 and several of those targets make a lot of sense in 4231 as does Shaqiri and (to a lesser extent) Ox, Lallana and Keita who obviously work in midfield in 433 as well. I think (at least during last season) Klopp realised more of the side works better and more fluid in 433. It's not for sure he'll stick with 433 and not move towards 4231 again but I'm working on what we are currently set up in. Klopps 433 is more likely to use players like these in the middle 3 or the false 9 and strikers in the "wide" positions.

Sweeting

U23s beat Spartans FC in their pre-season tour of Scotland.

Winterbottom
N. Williams R. Williams Boyes Johnston
Chirivella Kane Sharif
Longstaff Christie-Davies O'Rourke

Subs: George; Clayton, Gallacher, Rattachio, Bearne, Dixon-Bonner, Varesanovic

Jack Bearne scored the only goal.

Last edited:

Sigurvegari

TIA New Signing
U23s beat Spartans FC in their pre-season tour of Scotland.

Grabara
N. Williams R. Williams Boyes Johnston
Chirivella Kane Sharif
Longstaff Christie-Davies O'Rourke

Subs: George; Clayton, Gallacher, Rattachio, Bearne, Dixon-Bonner, Varesanovic

Jack Bearne scored the only goal.
Winterbottom, not Grabara.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
From what I've seen so far in pre-season I think Hoever, Jones and obviously Brewster have huge chances to progress here.

Brewster is pretty obvious, he looks far far above his age. A complete forward, seems to have no weaknesses (or glaring ones), certainly knows how to score, but I've been most impressed with his link up play.

Hoever has only built on the games v's Wolves etc. So calm and assured at such a young age, where he will play could be anywhere - RB/LB/CB/DM.

Jones seems to be slipping under the radar a bit but he scored a technically outstanding half volley in the first game and everytime I see him he seems to have all the time on the ball. Hopefully not rose tinted glasses as he's a scouser and more scousers in the team isn't a bad thing.

1 core personality trait they all have is swagger, a raw confidence that I think is utterly key in making it.

Limiescouse

Jones seems to be slipping under the radar a bit but he scored a technically outstanding half volley in the first game and everytime I see him he seems to have all the time on the ball. Hopefully not rose tinted glasses as he's a scouser and more scousers in the team isn't a bad thing.

1 core personality trait they all have is swagger, a raw confidence that I think is utterly key in making it.
He's an interesting one as I thought he was one of the better players in last pre-season as well. Then once the season started he disappeared, and according to the people who watch didnt even have too good a season at this level.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
He's an interesting one as I thought he was one of the better players in last pre-season as well. Then once the season started he disappeared, and according to the people who watch didnt even have too good a season at this level.
He seems very naturally gifted so I wonder if he takes it all a bit too easy. I have no doubts the likes of Inglethorpe and Klopp will sort him out. He should be bossing it at U23 level.

Sweeting

I think the thing people overlooked last season is he was often the youngest player on the pitch at U23 level , he only turned 18 at the end of January.

Despite his youth he was expected to be focal point of a rubbish attack - he spent most of his season with Glen McAuley upfront - a lot of viewers at that level were expecting to see him dominate fixtures (that weirdo Guardian was critical of him whenever he was quiet) without taking the context of his relative inexperience and the fact our front line was rubbish into account.

I've been going over the U23s season on LFCTV Go recently and it is noticeable just how much he improved towards the end of the season when Brewster and Woodburn returned to the side.

Limiescouse

I think the thing people overlooked last season is he was often the youngest player on the pitch at U23 level , he only turned 18 at the end of January.

Despite his youth he was expected to be focal point of a rubbish attack - he spent most of his season with Glen McAuley upfront - a lot of viewers at that level were expecting to see him dominate fixtures (that weirdo Guardian was critical of him whenever he was quiet) without taking the context of his relative inexperience and the fact our front line was rubbish into account.

I've been going over the U23s season on LFCTV Go recently and it is noticeable just how much he improved towards the end of the season when Brewster and Woodburn returned to the side.
I get that he was young, but other than maybe explaining some inconsistency, you wouldn't think that sort of step up would bother a player who looked so at home with the first team. Having to play with a lower quality of player very well might though. For a creative player, about the only thing more frustrating than no one seeing the passes you want to make is constantly finding yourself in good positions and no one finding a way to get you the ball. You end up being the best player on the pitch and getting no meaningful touches.

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member

I thought guardian jerked off over Jones, wasn't it Duncan he had it in for?

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
I get that he was young, but other than maybe explaining some inconsistency, you wouldn't think that sort of step up would bother a player who looked so at home with the first team. Having to play with a lower quality of player very well might though. For a creative player, about the only thing more frustrating than no one seeing the passes you want to make, is constantly finding yourself in good positions and no one finding a way to get you the ball.
Could well be he's one of those who play better with better players around him. It sounds obvious in a way; but if he's a team player who feeds off what he has around him, rather than being the type who wants to be the 'hero' and the best player in the team, then it makes sense for him to look better next to better players.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
U23's drew 0-0 with Coventry in a friendly.

Liverpool U23s: George (Winterbottom, 46), N Williams, Johnston, Boyes (Clayton, 62), Gallacher, Chirivella, Kane, Dixon-Bonner (Sharif, 62), Christie-Davies (Ritaccio, 80), Millar, Bearne (Longstaff, 75).

Shamal George is still here?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

Liverpool U23s: George (Winterbottom, 46), N Williams, Johnston, Boyes (Clayton, 62), Gallacher, Chirivella, Kane, Dixon-Bonner (Sharif, 62), Christie-Davies (Ritaccio, 80), Millar, Bearne (Longstaff, 75).

This is the one who plays in goal, we sold the one who plays up front.

Sweeting

Was meant to be leaving to go to Swindon but failed a trial (they wanted him for the first team but didn't feel he is ready).

We are keeping him here to train whilst he looks for another club.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers

Where do Academy players usually do their rehabilitation?
Yes but the article says '... at the request of Jürgen Klopp ...' - as if it’s not normal for such a young player to do it there.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Bloody hell, this pre-season has been a jinx. No timeline given for his return, which suggest that it will be months and months probably. So unlucky, I'm not saying that he would have broken through but he's immensely talented, even if his lack of dominant physical attributes will probably hold him back from having a top level career.

treboeth

Not entirely sure,but depending on the type and severity of the injury players get sent elsewhere for treatment(sometimes abroad)
Maybe this case is borderline and Klopp prefers to keep it "in house" so we can monitor it closer.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Think Glatzel already went through an injury or two before this one, if I'm not mistaken. Good luck to him.
He broke his leg and missed a large chunk of that season more than two years ago, if I remember correctly... Can't remember anything about some other ligament injury.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
U23's drew with Anderlecht in Belgium.

Liverpool U23s: George, N. Williams, Gallacher, Johnston, Boyes (Clayton, 70), Chirivella, Kane (Varesanovic, 80), Ejaria (Dixon-Bonner, 65), Millar, Christie-Davies, Bearne.

Good to see Varesanovic involved, maybe I missed something, but I was wondering what's up with him.