• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
With Rhys Williams going out on loan, who are the u23 CBs? Was he sent out so Hoever and Van den Berg could play together at that level? Who am I forgetting? I think Hoever may not be involved in many u23 games this year as I think he'll be part of the first team squad. I'm still trying to figure out why we sent Williams out on loan to a National League North team.

Joe Gomez x

With Rhys Williams going out on loan, who are the u23 CBs? Was he sent out so Hoever and the new ginger could play together at that level? Who am I forgetting? I think Hoever may not be involved in many u23 games this year as I think he'll be part of the first team squad. I'm still trying to figure out why we sent Williams out on loan to a National League North team.
Think we will see, Hoever and Van den Berg play together at U23. We also have Johnston that plays centre half at that age group. Can’t rush Ki-Hana and Sepp just yet as they are still only 17. I reckon they sent Rhys Williams out to that level due to lack of interest for a starting 18 year old centre back from higher up teams. At that level he will get the first team football, that he will need to improve.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Wouldn't sending Phillips out make more sense? Had a day or two to think about it and still seems a very strange decision. That's all.

Season him up for half a season I guess and bring him back in and see if he improved by getting kicked around by men. I expect Van den Berg to play fairly regularly for the 23s but it wouldn't surprise me if Hoever was on our bench for the first team, a bit like Moreno was last year (wasn't there all the time, but sat on the bench quite a bit I think). Don't expect to see him, but need fullback cover in case. Not sure how that jives with playing time for the 23s. Maybe Gomez will be the one on the bench who covers the fullback spot. Not sure.

Joe Gomez x

Wouldn't sending Phillips out make more sense? Had a day or two to think about it and still seems a very strange decision. That's all.

Season him up for half a season I guess and bring him back in and see if he improved by getting kicked around by men. I expect Van den Berg to play fairly regularly for the 23s but it wouldn't surprise me if Hoever was on our bench for the first team, a bit like Moreno was last year (wasn't there all the time, but sat on the bench quite a bit I think). Don't expect to see him, but need fullback cover in case. Not sure how that jives with playing time for the 23s. Maybe Gomez will be the one on the bench who covers the fullback spot. Not sure.
Don’t think the club are too bothered about his development as much as Williams. He’s around 22/23 and looks like he will not be apart of our senior side in the future. I reckon he’s just being used as a senior member of the u23, being captain etc

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
12 men bench in CL is very good for our young guns like Hoever, van den Berg, Larouci, Brewtser, Wilson, Elliott

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Maybe Gomez will be the one on the bench who covers the fullback spot. Not sure.
Well it will change of course (+ when injuries start...). Milner can cover both full back positions and he'll basically always be in our 18 man squad at least. That means we can often have an extra midfielder/attacker on the bench instead of usually two pure defenders (once CB and one full back).

Richard88

With Milner and Gomez in the matchday squads and capable of covering the same positions as Hoever I don't think there would be much point in having Hoever there too. With some injuries/rotation he'll probably be thereabouts though, along with starting cup games of course.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Poor Nik. Ubermick has been planning this for months.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
It's going to tilt me off the face of the planet that the one thread icon doesn't match. :-(

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
You ok, hun?
You wouldn't know, would you? You weren't greeted by the sight of your dreams being crushed into a rubble of despair, swirling with hopelessness, sprinkled with... Doom. The tiny speck of yellow disfiguring the ever-surrounding dark... Bald eagle of deceit circling my existence, homing in with venom, thrusting its talons of betrayal into my unsuspecting shoulders... But I'm fine otherwise, thank you for asking. :well done:

:-(