Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Probably just going by the latest moves... Larouci moving to LB trying to develop there, Lewis playing more as a CM seeing if he can do better there (though he'll still probably play LB for U23's, maybe rotate between the two positions like Raphael Gurreiro). They're young, enough time for these things to change multiple times. A number of them won't even make it at this level, it's just how it is.
Yep agree, I think Lewis could become a quality midfielder, lacks the raw acceleration to play fullback. Our future is really promising though.

RB/CB/DM - Hoever
CB - Van Den Berg
LB/LW - Larouci
DM/CM/LB - Lewis
CM/AM - Jones
RF/AM/LF - Elliot
CF - Brewster

Wealth of flexible talent coming through.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Interesting that there's no Wilson in these new pics, they just used his last year's pic for now while he's still here.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
So, Wilson will go out on loan, Kent will likely be sold. I wonder if Lewis will go out on loan, too, perhaps to some League One club, as well as Jones? I would be surprised if Hoever, Larouci, Van Den Berg or Elliott went down that route this season.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
So, Wilson will go out on loan, Kent will likely be sold. I wonder if Lewis will go out on loan, too, perhaps to some League One club, as well as Jones? I would be surprised if Hoever, Larouci, Van Den Berg or Elliott went down that route this season.
I think Hoever will remain with the 1st team squad personally. Seems to be ready.

Sweeting

Incredible move for George Johnston - he's a solid player but I did not envisage him going to Dutch football for Feyenoord.

Hopefully he does really well there. It probably suits him better than moving to the EFL where he will be judged on his height.

I don't think he will ever be a mainstay of a Feyenoord team but waiting to be happily surprised.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Looks like a strong team, interesting to see Lewis continue in a midfield role.

Sweeting

1-1 - Liverpool pressed out of possession in midfield and the balls falls nicely for Oldham's CF to run through on goal alone. He chipped it in past Atherton to equalise with more or less Oldham's first chance.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Can't find a stream. Lewis playing LCM or RCM in a midfield 3?

Sweeting

2-1 Oldham - poor defending from a free kick leaves an open shot from 6 yards out. 2 shots, 2 goals for Oldham.

Sweeting

3-2 Oldham - Free header from a corner - more poor defending by Liverpool.

Sweeting

Full time
Oldham 3-2 Liverpool U21s

Frustration for Liverpool, they were the better side across 90 minutes but too many defensive mistakes gift the game to Oldham.
Neco Williams and Harvey Elliott with the goals.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Some good performances in defeat. Curtis Jones looked by far the best player on the pitch, Sepp van den Berg looks a sure first team prospect. Harvey Elliotshowed some touches of class and a good attitude . I would say they were our best on the night with Lewis, Larouche and Boyes also worth a mention. Overall a pretty good performance apart from defending dead ball situations.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Full time

Frustration for Liverpool, they were the better side across 90 minutes but too many defensive mistakes gift the game to Oldham.
Can't be easy when you let two CBs (Johnson and Phillips) leave who would probably otherwise have played?

Sweeting

Can't be easy when you let two CBs (Johnson and Phillips) leave who would probably otherwise have played?
Johnson would probably have started instead of Boyes and would potentially have improved the set piece defending. Liverpool should have won this game at a canter really - Jones hit the post, Duncan and Elliott missed 1v1 chances first half and Bearne was a few inches from a last second equaliser that he just couldn't reach.

Sweeting

It never got mentioned here also that Liverpool U19s finished 4th in the Oberndorf Tournament last weekend. Shortened version of the game (2x25min) - Liverpool beat Gremio and Freiburg before losing to Tottenham in the semi-finals and Schalke in the 3rd place playoff.

Ben Winterbottom won GK of the tournament.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Incredible move for George Johnston - he's a solid player but I did not envisage him going to Dutch football for Feyenoord.

Hopefully he does really well there. It probably suits him better than moving to the EFL where he will be judged on his height.

I don't think he will ever be a mainstay of a Feyenoord team but waiting to be happily surprised.
This is a really nice welcome for the lad. Really trying to make him feel at home.

blaze

Faith.
Full time

So I was unsure of the format. Was it a knockout competition? Or do our U21s get more games?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
1-1 - Liverpool pressed out of possession in midfield and the balls falls nicely for Oldham's CF to run through on goal alone. He chipped it in past Atherton to equalise with more or less Oldham's first chance.
Just seen this goal on the highlights. That was a poor pass from Boyes was it? Put our midfielder (was it Lewis?) in trouble. We were lucky to get away with Atherton's scuffed clearance just before too.

Attacking wise we looked strong though so hopefully the defensive issues will be sorted the more they play together.