• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Sweeting

England Call Ups
U21s: Rhian Brewster
U19s: Rhys Williams & Curtis Jones
U18s: Layton Stewart
U17s: Harvey Elliott, Jarrel Quansah & James Norris
U21s beat Turkey 3-2. Rhian Brewster was a second half substitute.
U19s beat Greece 3-1. Curtis Jones was a second half substitute. Rhys Williams was an unused substitute.
U18s beat Australia 3-1. Layton Stewart started.
U17s beat Finland 5-0. Harvey Elliott started. Jarell Quansah started. James was a substitute (unsure if he was used or not).

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Nice sign of support for him. The injury couldn't have struck at a worse moment for him, especially with Duncan gone.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Nice sign of support for him. The injury couldn't have struck at a worse moment for him, especially with Duncan gone.
It's petty, I know, but I'd love it if somehow it was put out there that this new deal was thanks to what the club are calling the "Bobby Duncan windfall".

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Pep:

There have been some guys from the Academy training at Melwood this week. Can you tell us what they’ve been doing alongside the likes of James Milner, Adam Lallana, Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah?

Two days of intense training. We have specific exercises like the ‘counter-pressing rondo’, the ‘identity game’, ‘organised chaos’ or the ‘high-intensity game’. They all experienced these specific exercises throughout these two days, it was like a little training camp for them. There is no better education than good role models, so for them to train with our seniors is irreplaceable. In the ‘identity game’ – a set-up of three teams fighting to earn the right to attack – our seniors were divided over three teams as the captains. You see so many incredible processes happening in the rest periods. Leighton Clarkson, who sees with his own eyes the constant runs of Sadio and Mo in behind. He has the capacity to play the passes these type of forwards like to receive, he is the type of No.6 we really like, the one who can dictate play, but dictate with direction, who can speed up the tempo of the positional play, the one who has always time on the ball. Again, talent needs good role models, much more than criticism. Then you see how special our seniors are. The boys receive the treatment they earn and deserve, equal to our seniors, equal to everyone, it works accumulatively. I’ve said it before, the character of Jürgen becomes the character of the team and luckily that’s a good thing. It’s the thing that makes all the difference.

Sweeting

Man City U18s v Liverpool U18s

Liverpool

GK: Jakub Ojrzynski

RB: Jack Walls
CB: Remi Savage
CB: Billy Koumatio
LB: James Norris

RCM: Niall Brookwell
DM: Leighton Clarkson
LCM: Jake Cain

RW: Tom Hill
LW: Matteo Ritacchio
CF: Layton Stewart

Currently 1-1 - Cain scored from a Clarkson assist.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Man City U18s v Liverpool U18s

Liverpool

GK: Jakub Ojrzynski

RB: Jack Walls
CB: Remi Savage
CB: Billy Koumatio
LB: James Norris

RCM: Niall Brookwell
DM: Leighton Clarkson
LCM: Jake Cain

RW: Tom Hill
LW: Matteo Ritacchio
CF: Layton Stewart

Currently 1-1 - Cain scored from a Clarkson assist.
Seen some very high praise of Clarkson recently.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Seen some very high praise of Clarkson recently.
I liked what I saw from him, even last season. Nice little player, quick thinking, quick turn, good technique. Reminds me of Harry Winks (I'd be over the moon if he reached his level, to be honest), and he's not playing in a position where size and speed are absolutely essential.

Sweeting

U18s went 2-1 up before half time but ended up getting a bit of a thumping and losing 5-2.

U23s just started against Derby.

Liverpool U23s v Derby County

GK: Ben Winterbottom

RB: Neco Williams
CB: Ki-Jana Hoever
CB: Sepp Van Den Berg
LB: Tony Gallacher

RCM: Elijah Dixon-Bonner
DM: Pedro Chirivella
LCM: Herbie Kane

RW: Harvey Elliott
LW: Curtis Jones
CF: Rhian Brewster

Subs: Dan Atherton (GK); Morgan Boyes, Tom Clayton, Yasser Larouci, Luis Longstaff

Joe Gomez x

Conceding a lot of goals the u23s are. To be fair our back line is very young for u23s.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Jake Cain has signed his first professional contract with Liverpool FC.

The midfielder, who turned 18 earlier in September, is a member of Barry Lewtas' U18s group and the club's UEFA Youth League squad.

Born in Wigan, he has been at the Liverpool FC Academy since the age of nine and made his U18s debut as an U16 player under Steven Gerrard in 2017-18.

A creative influence with an eye for goal, Cain already has several assists to his name this season as well as finding the net three times himself.

In 2018-19, he played an important role as the Reds lifted the FA Youth Cup after a penalty shootout against Manchester City.

Sweeting

U19 v Napoli - UEFA Youth League

GK: Ben Winterbottom

CB: Ki-Jana Hoever
CB: Tom Clayton
CB: Morgan Boyes

RWB: Neco Williams
LWB: Yasser Larouci

CM: Leighton Clarkson
CM: Elijah Dixon-Bonner

AM: Jake Cain
AM: Curtis Jones

CF: Harvey Elliott

I think that is how it will line up - not obvious as no natural CF in the line up. Perhaps a change of system to try to avoid leaking goals as the U23s have been doing.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
The las dominated the second half and Layton James eventually poked home the equaliser bu that was it 1-1

Sweeting

Building a nice little reputation for himself is Layton Stewart.

Getting into the England U18s while Harvey Elliott is an U17 is a bit of false praise as the U17 team is more important (World Cup in October) but still a good level to be playing at for a lad who was in our U16s last season.

Seems to score a lot of goals and has a bit about him in terms of versatility, pace and intelligence.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
It was of course Layton Stewart that scored :) He seems to be the only striker in the squad.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
We all dream of a team of players called Leighton...
I think that it is really excellent that we keep such close track of our Youth players on this forum. Even if only one comes through - like Trent, then it will again prove to have been all worth-while. At least it must be an encouragement that Jurgen takes such an interest in them - brilliant.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Posting this too late as it's aleady 70 minutes gone... but here's the U23 live stream from Leicester's site. We're currently 2-1 behind.

Sweeting

We were dominating the first half, got a goal through Curtis Jones and then two really poor mistakes gave Leicester the lead woth two goals in 3 minutes.

Chirivella lazily flicked a pass from Hoever back into our penalty area (think he may have even "no looked" it) and played it straight to Muskwe for the equaliser.

Then Tony Gallacher made a mess controlling an aimless long ball which allowed Leicester to break through down the right and get a shot off unmarked - Chirivella again not covering himself in glory when he failed to track the midfielder who scored.

Sweeting

Mamy people refer to a "gap" or a "jump" in quality between the U23s and 1st team.

I disagree. It is more like the Grand Canyon.

The quality of Liverpool's first team is such that it is tough to envision a scenario where even one of these young players will make an impact. The fact they aren't winning games certainly highlights the issue but it is almost a different sport being played at youth level right now.

I am not excluding Brewster, Jones, Elliott, Hoever or van den Berg when I say no one at U23 level has yet shown anything to suggest they could be used in the 1st team this season.

The whole team really needs a wake up call.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Mamy people refer to a "gap" or a "jump" in quality between the U23s and 1st team.

I disagree. It is more like the Grand Canyon.

The quality of Liverpool's first team is such that it is tough to envision a scenario where even one of these young players will make an impact. The fact they aren't winning games certainly highlights the issue but it is almost a different sport being played at youth level right now.

I am not excluding Brewster, Jones, Elliott, Hoever or van den Berg when I say no one at U23 level has yet shown anything to suggest they could be used in the 1st team this season.

The whole team really needs a wake up call.
Do you think we're missing Michael Beale from the youth set up?

Joe Gomez x

I would have to agree about the statement about the large gulf between the two. The u23s yet again are not covering themselves in much glory. With an experienced midfield in Chivirella,Kane I would expect to be winning these midfield battles but they seem to be getting overrun by a young Leicester midfield and a younger spurs midfield. Sepp Van de Berg has shown much so far unfortunately. That really shows the class between the Dutch league and English prem as he played 14 games in the top division but is struggling in the u23s, but it’s early days. Hoever seems to get caught napping on the ball often which is quite poor as a defender. On a more positive note , Elliott is quality at his age he looks our best player. We just need a wake up call in general and maybe a run of wins to kickstart this season