• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Sweeting

U18s 3-0 Middlesbrough

GK: Jakub Ojrzynski

RB: Jack Walls
CB: Remi Savage
CB: Billy Koumetio
LB: Owen Beck

RCM: Tom Hill (1 goal)
DM: Jake Cain (2 assists)
LCM: Niall Brookwell

RW: Layton Stewart
LW: James Norris (1 goal)
CF: Fidel O'Rourke (1 goal)

Subs: Winterbottom; Quansah, Morton, Bradley, Corness

Sweeting

U21s vs Fleetwood Town

GK: Ben Winterbottom

RWB: Neco Williams
CB: Tom Clayton
CB: Morgan Boyes
CB: Billy Koumetio
LWB: Tony Gallacher

CM: Jake Cain
CM: Elijah Dixon-Bonner

RAM: Tom Hill
LAM: Yasser Larouci
CF: Layton Stewart

Subs: Dan Atherton; Jack Walls, Remi Savage, James Norris

Fleetwood
GK: Matt Gilks - 37 - Back up

RB: Harrison Holgate - 18 - Youth
CB: Peter Clarke - 37 - Rotation
CB: Ashley Eastham - 28 - Back up
LB: Ryan Rydel - 18 - Youth

CM: Jack Sowerby - 24 - Back up
CM: Nathan Sheron - 21 - Back up (previously played for Liverpool at U18 level)
CM: Barry Baggley - 17 - Youth

RW: Daniel Mooney - 20 - Youth
LW: Ashley Hunter - 23 - Back up
CF: Harvey Saunders - 22 - Back up

Last edited:

Sweeting

Neco Williams with Liverpool's goal.

I think he has only scored twice at U21/23 level and both of them have been in this EFL Trophy.

Sweeting

Lost 4-3 on penalties - that gives us a point as the penalty shootout is essentially for a bonus pt after the game ends in a draw (Fleetwood get 2 pts.)

Sweeting

U23s are 1-0 up away at Arsenal. Curtis Jones scored, coming up to half time now.

Sweeting

Arsenal U23s 2-2 Liverpool U23s

Goals

Arsenal: Nathan Tormey (41'), Freddie Balogun (63')
Liverpool: Curtis Jones (30', 38')

Line Up
Winterbottom
Williams Hoever VDBerg Gallacher
Dixon-Bonner Lewis Kane
Longstaff Brewster Jones

Subs
Atherton; Clayton (90'), Larouci (52'), Elliott (77')

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I didn't want to judge Jones on his appearance at Wolves in FA Cup as whole team looked disjointed and procedural but his MK Dons game looked quite the opposite. Calm, collected, economic with the ball, he never looked to do something unrealistic, he waged his chances against opponents and behaved accordingly. Maybe there was one situation where he could have played Keita (I think) in but other than that, he was good. Hopefully nothing comes of this League Cup expulsion and Liverpool go far in both domestic cups, so he, Hoever, Elliott and Brewster specifically can get more playing time. They could have done with an easier opponent at Anfield, though, but it wouldn't be Liverpool if cup draws were easy.

All four look to possess a healthy arrogance on the pitch, to put it that way. They like the ball, they play with their heads up and they are not selfish for most of the time. Klopp has cleared their path to the first team squad, so they know it's all in their hands. In my opinion, of all four, Brewster perhaps has the hardest job of all to impress as he's nothing like Firmino (then again, no one is, he's unique and that's it) and he'd probably have to play ahead of a more creative and settled midfield in order to make a proper contribution.

redalways

TIA Regular
I didn't want to judge Jones on his appearance at Wolves in FA Cup as whole team looked disjointed and procedural but his MK Dons game looked quite the opposite. Calm, collected, economic with the ball, he never looked to do something unrealistic, he waged his chances against opponents and behaved accordingly. Maybe there was one situation where he could have played Keita (I think) in but other than that, he was good. Hopefully nothing comes of this League Cup expulsion and Liverpool go far in both domestic cups, so he, Hoever, Elliott and Brewster specifically can get more playing time. They could have done with an easier opponent at Anfield, though, but it wouldn't be Liverpool if cup draws were easy.

All four look to possess a healthy arrogance on the pitch, to put it that way. They like the ball, they play with their heads up and they are not selfish for most of the time. Klopp has cleared their path to the first team squad, so they know it's all in their hands. In my opinion, of all four, Brewster perhaps has the hardest job of all to impress as he's nothing like Firmino (then again, no one is, he's unique and that's it) and he'd probably have to play ahead of a more creative and settled midfield in order to make a proper contribution.
With Jones I felt that he was good, but he did get lazy at points. I remember nearly screaming at one point when he didn't bother getting back onside, although Ox had a chance to play him in.

Sweeting

U19s v Salzburg (UCL U19)

Ojrzynski
Hoever VDBerg Boyes
Williams Dixon-Bonner Clarkson Larouci
Elliott Brewster Jones​

Subs
Winterbottom; Clayton, Koumetio, Norris, Longstaff, Stewart, O'Rourke

Kopstar

★★★★★★
U19s v Salzburg (UCL U19)

Ojrzynski
Hoever VDBerg Boyes
Williams Dixon-Bonner Clarkson Larouci
Elliott Brewster Jones​

Subs
Winterbottom; Clayton, Koumetio, Norris, Longstaff, Stewart, O'Rourke
Is Williams in midfield in a 3-4-3 or right back in a 4-3-3?

Have we lined up 3-4-3 often?

Sweeting

Is Williams in midfield in a 3-4-3 or right back in a 4-3-3?

Have we lined up 3-4-3 often?
We have used it a couple of times in the last few games, I think as a reaction to how many goals we are conceding. It is fluid enough to shift back to a 433 with either Boyes or Hoever shuffling to LB but I doubt we will start like that.

The only other alternative would be for Hoever to playing at DM but I've never seen him do that for us and he would be stepping on Clarkson's toes as Clarkson plays that role normally and doesn't really suit being more advanced.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
2-1 Salzberg,looks like an OG by Van Den Berg,hit him off a corner.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
3-2 LFC Nico Williams and Curtis Jones scre in a 5min period,Nico Wiliams headed in at the back post off a Larouci cross from the left wing.Curtis jones curls one low into the bottom corner from outside the box.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
4-2 Brewster Penalty,Harvey Elliott brought down in the box.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
LFC 4 -2 Salzberg FT,great scoreline but slightly against the run of play from what i seen.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
LFC 4 -2 Salzberg FT,great scoreline but slightly against the run of play from what i seen.

Yeah Salzburg tired but they had put so much into that second half , were absolutely dominant for most of it. Great result but definitely fortuitous.

Sweeting

U18s 6-1 Everton

Big away win after going a goal behind.

Ojrzynski
Walls Savage Koumetio Beck
Brookwell Clarkson Cain
Stewart O'Rourke Norris

Subs: Winterbottom; Quansah, Balagizi, Corness (used), Morton (used)

Goals: Clarkson, Cain, Stewart (x2), O'Rourke, Own Goal

costared

TIA Reserve Team
U18s 6-1 Everton

Big away win after going a goal behind.

Ojrzynski
Walls Savage Koumetio Beck
Brookwell Clarkson Cain
Stewart O'Rourke Norris

Subs: Winterbottom; Quansah, Balagizi, Corness (used), Morton (used)

Goals: Clarkson, Cain, Stewart (x2), O'Rourke, Own Goal
A bit surprised at the result. Watched the first half then had to go out so just watched the highlights. Great stuff.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
That Gelhardt kid scored two for Wigan against Liverpool U23s earlier today. There were some links with him in the aftermath of Duncan's departure (and presumably due to Glatzel's injury as well).

Sweeting

Guardian article on the best up and coming talents in the PL. Layton Stewart is our 'one to watch':

They've done this since 2014 and got a decent track record of picking Liverpool players

2014: Adam Phillips
2015: Trent Alexander-Arnold
2016: Ben Woodburn
2017: Curtis Jones
2018: Niall Brookwell (odd one to pick imo)

Sweeting

I've not even heard of Brookwell!
He's a solid, hard working midfielder who has just about become a regular at U18 level.

At this stage in his career he doesn't stand out compared to others in the age group.

I would have picked Billy Koumetio as our biggest talent in the 16/17 age group and I would have said Paul Glatzel over Brookwell for last year.