Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Sweeting

Notice Winterbottom is in the sticks for the u23s today. Where is that McKenzie-Lyle or George, didn’t think he was fancied to much over older lads
George is on loan to Marine and expected to be released next summer (tried to sell him this year but Swindon didn't take him after a trial).
McKenzie-Lyle has completely disappeared, not sure where he is.

Winterbottom was a late signing from Blackburn last season and he has been a regular this season. Jaros may challenge him when he returns from injury.

Sweeting

Thanks! Is it concerning that they're leaking so many goals, or is it just some other factor like constant shuffling around, injuries, team setup, etc.?
It is not great but I haven't seen the goals so not sure how they were scored.

We have made a tonne of individual mistakes this season.

Sweeting

U19s vs Genk U19s
UEFA Youth League

Ojrzynski
Williams VDBerg Boyes Larouci
Dixon-Bonner Clarkson Cain
Elliott Stewart Jones​

Subs: Winterbottom; Koumetio, Savage, Walls, Norris, Hill, Longstaff

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Penalty to LFC,keeper took out Stewart without the ball,Stewart makes it 1-0,lucky though,the keeper saved it and it went up and over him into the net

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
HT 1-0 LFC,Curtis Jones had a goal scratched off for offside aswell,not much in it over all but we deserve the lead.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Dixon-Bonner goal disallowed for offside,still an open game with Genk having some chances.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Good to see Jones starting to add more end product to his game. He's well capable of all that ball manipulation and creativity from practically any offensive midfield/slightly wide position. Maybe the armband also had good effect on him not resting (lazily) on his technical talent, but becoming more decisive.

Last edited:

Sweeting

My wife and son have gone back to America for a wedding so I get a couple of weeks to myself which I intend on misusing by taking in as many live football games as possible.

Going to Man Utd U23s v Stoke U23s tomorrow. Hopefully Stoke show a bit more heart than they did earlier this week when West Ham beat them 4-0.

Sweeting

U18s took a hiding this morning, beaten 4-0 by Man City in the PL Cup.

Ojrzynski
Walls Savage Koumetio Beck
Cain Clarkson Morton
Stewart Balagizi Norris

Sweeting

U23s drawing 0-0 with Blackburn at half time.

Strange team lineup really.

Kelleher
Gallacher Clayton Boyes Larouci
Kane Chirivella Dixon-Bonner
Longstaff Christie-Davies Jones

Not sure why Christie-Davies is up front. We are short of options but surely someone else was able to play there (Brewster, for example).

Sweeting

Jones came off early, saved for Wednesday.

Christie-Davies also off replaced by Coyle. We now have Larouci at CF!

redalways

TIA Regular
U23s drawing 0-0 with Blackburn at half time.

Strange team lineup really.

Kelleher
Gallacher Clayton Boyes Larouci
Kane Chirivella Dixon-Bonner
Longstaff Christie-Davies Jones

Not sure why Christie-Davies is up front. We are short of options but surely someone else was able to play there (Brewster, for example).
Perhaps it may be an indication that Brewster will see actual game time tomorrow? Looking forward to that if that's the case.

Could be possible that he will be used to give Bobby a little bit of a rest in the upcoming matches...

Sweeting

Perhaps it may be an indication that Brewster will see actual game time tomorrow? Looking forward to that if that's the case.

Could be possible that he will be used to give Bobby a little bit of a rest in the upcoming matches...
I think he will be in the squad but won't play.

He'll start against Arsenal though I expect.

blaze

Faith.
I think he will be in the squad but won't play.

He'll start against Arsenal though I expect.
Yea. Getting our youngsters actual, high quality game time in cup games is something Klopp does a lot and I really want to see it continue. That is a better way of bedding in players I feel than the last 5-10 minutes of dead rubber/already won games. Makes them take ownership and responsibility.

Will be interesting to see what squad we play in the club world cup.

Sweeting

There were several key players for the U23s & U18s missing this weekend.

Here is a list of them.

Unknown reasons (Arsenal?)
- Sepp Van Den Berg
- Harvey Elliott (could have been part of FA suspension depending on first day of ban)
- Rhian Brewster
- Neco Williams
- Niall Brookwell (unlikely to be in contention for Arsenal)
- Fidel O'Rourke (unlikely to be in contention for Arsenal)

Known reasons
- Ki-Jana Hoever (U17s World Cup)
- Adam Lewis (Knee ligament)

There were also some guys who would have been expected to be part of the Arsenal game who played on Saturday.

- Curtis Jones (was substituted early in the 2nd half of U23s v Blackburn)
- Yasser Larouci (played full 90 vs Blackburn including 15 minutes at CF)
- Herbie Kane (played full 90)

Judging by the minutes played it looks like Van Den Berg, Elliott, Brewster, Williams and Jones will all be in the squad for Arsenal. Larouci and Kane have an outside chance but playing the full 90 suggests they won't be there (although the youth squads were stretched thin this weekend so maybe not much choice)

Unsure why Brookwell and O'Rourke were left out for the U18s but presumably carrying a knock, neither would be expected to be in the Arsenal game.

redalways

TIA Regular

Here is a list of them.

- Sepp Van Den Berg
- Harvey Elliott (could have been part of FA suspension depending on first day of ban)
- Rhian Brewster
- Neco Williams

Known reasons

There were also some guys who would have been expected to be part of the Arsenal game who played on Saturday.

Judging by the minutes played it looks like Van Den Berg, Elliott, Brewster, Williams and Jones will all be in the squad for Arsenal. Larouci and Kane have an outside chance but playing the full 90 suggests they won't be there (although the youth squads were stretched thin this weekend so maybe not much choice)

Unsure why Brookwell and O'Rourke were left out for the U18s but presumably carrying a knock, neither would be expected to be in the Arsenal game.
How do you rate Williams/Larouci? Especially interested now that it becomes clear how thin we can get in full-backs with just a couple of injuries...

Sweeting

How do you rate Williams/Larouci? Especially interested now that it becomes clear how thin we can get in full-backs with just a couple of injuries...
Larouci has a really high ceiling with his pace and physical presence. Technique needs polishing up (lets the ball run under his foot and other general clumsy things) but he has the potential to be a really high level starter in the modern game. His defending is poor but that's part and parcel of playing wing back thesedays. It was odd to see him moved to the CF position on Saturday. We were short handed, with Brewster left out for Arsenal and Stewart playing for the U18s on the same day, but still an odd situation when a wing back goes upfront.

Williams is a bit more conventional and reminds me a bit of a cross between Steve Finnan and Ryan McLaughlin. He's a good defender, not amazing, but he gets forward really well. Likes to get goals and is a bit more direct in that respect than the likes of Alexander-Arnold. Doesn't have the pace of Larouci but enough to get by.

Overall it is really hard to judge how talented players are in today's U23 league. The standard just isn't measurable. Both of them are talented and, along with Jones, have been the best players at U23 level this season.

Sweeting

Here is a list of them.

- Sepp Van Den Berg
- Rhian Brewster
- Neco Williams

Known reasons

Pictures of training today showing nearly everyone was at Melwood!

Ojrzynski, Jones, Brewster, Cain, Clarkson, Koumetio, Chirivella, Williams, Boyes, Elliott, Kane, Longstaff, Van Den Berg...

Looks like everyone who started yesterday was given the day off from training as I could only see them doing some indoor recovery work.

We could look something like this on Wednesday

Adrian
Williams VanDenBerg Gomez Milner
Chamberlain Lallana Keita
Elliott Brewster Jones​

Last edited:

Sweeting

U21s vs Accrington Stanley tonight. Sure to be an interesting selection with the Arsenal game tomorrow.

I'm predicting quite a young line up as most won't be available. Something like...

Winterbottom
Walls Clayton Boyes Larouci
Dixon-Bonner Clarkson Cain
Hill Stewart Christie-Davies

Complete guess and could be that some of those who trained with the 1st team this week are made available but given the fact we're not playing the first teamers in the League Cup I can't see many alternatives!

Last edited:

Sweeting

VARESANOVIC IS REAL!

Confirmed U21s line up v Accrington tonight

Winterbottom
Gallacher Clayton Savage Norris
Varesanovic Cain Dixon-Bonner
Stewart Christie-Davies Hill

Subs: Atherton; Beck, Morton, Quansah, Walls

Sweeting

Isn't Varesanovic left footed?
He could well be. Only time I've ever seen him was warming up at half time in the Blackburn game on Saturday and I wasn't paying attention to notice his feet.

LFCtv are saying we are playing a 442 with Varesanovic at the tip of a diamond.

Sweeting

1-0 Liverpool
Dixon-Bonner goal
Varasanovic assist

Great goal. Liverpool cpunter attacked through Norris and Stewart. Eventually falls to Varasanovic who squares to an unmarked Dixon-Bonner.

Sweeting

Disallowed goal for Accrington, not sure if it was offside or a foul on Winterbottom. Winterbottom has stayed down injured, got a whack to the head.

Poorly defended corner by Liverpool, which has been a big weakness all season for the youth sides.