• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

redalways

TIA Regular
U23s drawing 0-0 with Blackburn at half time.

Strange team lineup really.

Kelleher
Gallacher Clayton Boyes Larouci
Kane Chirivella Dixon-Bonner
Longstaff Christie-Davies Jones

Not sure why Christie-Davies is up front. We are short of options but surely someone else was able to play there (Brewster, for example).
Perhaps it may be an indication that Brewster will see actual game time tomorrow? Looking forward to that if that's the case.

Could be possible that he will be used to give Bobby a little bit of a rest in the upcoming matches...

Sweeting

Perhaps it may be an indication that Brewster will see actual game time tomorrow? Looking forward to that if that's the case.

Could be possible that he will be used to give Bobby a little bit of a rest in the upcoming matches...
I think he will be in the squad but won't play.

He'll start against Arsenal though I expect.

blaze

Faith.
I think he will be in the squad but won't play.

He'll start against Arsenal though I expect.
Yea. Getting our youngsters actual, high quality game time in cup games is something Klopp does a lot and I really want to see it continue. That is a better way of bedding in players I feel than the last 5-10 minutes of dead rubber/already won games. Makes them take ownership and responsibility.

Will be interesting to see what squad we play in the club world cup.

Sweeting

There were several key players for the U23s & U18s missing this weekend.

Here is a list of them.

Unknown reasons (Arsenal?)
- Sepp Van Den Berg
- Harvey Elliott (could have been part of FA suspension depending on first day of ban)
- Rhian Brewster
- Neco Williams
- Niall Brookwell (unlikely to be in contention for Arsenal)
- Fidel O'Rourke (unlikely to be in contention for Arsenal)

Known reasons
- Ki-Jana Hoever (U17s World Cup)
- Adam Lewis (Knee ligament)

There were also some guys who would have been expected to be part of the Arsenal game who played on Saturday.

- Curtis Jones (was substituted early in the 2nd half of U23s v Blackburn)
- Yasser Larouci (played full 90 vs Blackburn including 15 minutes at CF)
- Herbie Kane (played full 90)

Judging by the minutes played it looks like Van Den Berg, Elliott, Brewster, Williams and Jones will all be in the squad for Arsenal. Larouci and Kane have an outside chance but playing the full 90 suggests they won't be there (although the youth squads were stretched thin this weekend so maybe not much choice)

Unsure why Brookwell and O'Rourke were left out for the U18s but presumably carrying a knock, neither would be expected to be in the Arsenal game.

redalways

TIA Regular

Here is a list of them.

- Sepp Van Den Berg
- Harvey Elliott (could have been part of FA suspension depending on first day of ban)
- Rhian Brewster
- Neco Williams

Known reasons

There were also some guys who would have been expected to be part of the Arsenal game who played on Saturday.

Judging by the minutes played it looks like Van Den Berg, Elliott, Brewster, Williams and Jones will all be in the squad for Arsenal. Larouci and Kane have an outside chance but playing the full 90 suggests they won't be there (although the youth squads were stretched thin this weekend so maybe not much choice)

Unsure why Brookwell and O'Rourke were left out for the U18s but presumably carrying a knock, neither would be expected to be in the Arsenal game.
How do you rate Williams/Larouci? Especially interested now that it becomes clear how thin we can get in full-backs with just a couple of injuries...

Sweeting

How do you rate Williams/Larouci? Especially interested now that it becomes clear how thin we can get in full-backs with just a couple of injuries...
Larouci has a really high ceiling with his pace and physical presence. Technique needs polishing up (lets the ball run under his foot and other general clumsy things) but he has the potential to be a really high level starter in the modern game. His defending is poor but that's part and parcel of playing wing back thesedays. It was odd to see him moved to the CF position on Saturday. We were short handed, with Brewster left out for Arsenal and Stewart playing for the U18s on the same day, but still an odd situation when a wing back goes upfront.

Williams is a bit more conventional and reminds me a bit of a cross between Steve Finnan and Ryan McLaughlin. He's a good defender, not amazing, but he gets forward really well. Likes to get goals and is a bit more direct in that respect than the likes of Alexander-Arnold. Doesn't have the pace of Larouci but enough to get by.

Overall it is really hard to judge how talented players are in today's U23 league. The standard just isn't measurable. Both of them are talented and, along with Jones, have been the best players at U23 level this season.

Sweeting

Here is a list of them.

- Sepp Van Den Berg
- Rhian Brewster
- Neco Williams

Known reasons

Pictures of training today showing nearly everyone was at Melwood!

Ojrzynski, Jones, Brewster, Cain, Clarkson, Koumetio, Chirivella, Williams, Boyes, Elliott, Kane, Longstaff, Van Den Berg...

Looks like everyone who started yesterday was given the day off from training as I could only see them doing some indoor recovery work.

We could look something like this on Wednesday

Adrian
Williams VanDenBerg Gomez Milner
Chamberlain Lallana Keita
Elliott Brewster Jones​

Last edited:

Sweeting

U21s vs Accrington Stanley tonight. Sure to be an interesting selection with the Arsenal game tomorrow.

I'm predicting quite a young line up as most won't be available. Something like...

Winterbottom
Walls Clayton Boyes Larouci
Dixon-Bonner Clarkson Cain
Hill Stewart Christie-Davies

Complete guess and could be that some of those who trained with the 1st team this week are made available but given the fact we're not playing the first teamers in the League Cup I can't see many alternatives!

Last edited:

Sweeting

VARESANOVIC IS REAL!

Confirmed U21s line up v Accrington tonight

Winterbottom
Gallacher Clayton Savage Norris
Varesanovic Cain Dixon-Bonner
Stewart Christie-Davies Hill

Subs: Atherton; Beck, Morton, Quansah, Walls

Sweeting

Isn't Varesanovic left footed?
He could well be. Only time I've ever seen him was warming up at half time in the Blackburn game on Saturday and I wasn't paying attention to notice his feet.

LFCtv are saying we are playing a 442 with Varesanovic at the tip of a diamond.

Sweeting

1-0 Liverpool
Dixon-Bonner goal
Varasanovic assist

Great goal. Liverpool cpunter attacked through Norris and Stewart. Eventually falls to Varasanovic who squares to an unmarked Dixon-Bonner.

Sweeting

Disallowed goal for Accrington, not sure if it was offside or a foul on Winterbottom. Winterbottom has stayed down injured, got a whack to the head.

Poorly defended corner by Liverpool, which has been a big weakness all season for the youth sides.

Sweeting

1-1

Another goal conceded from a corner. Not a massive surprise given the age and experience of our team but still disappointing.

Sweeting

2-1 Accrington

Deserved goal for Accrington who have been the better team. Sharif scored it.

Liverpool struggling to deal with Accrington's physicality and making some naive mistakes.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
3-1 Accrington, Dion Charles,through on goal,1v1 and rounded the keeper.

Sweeting

Accrington just too big and strong in the end.

Technically I don't think there was a lot between the sides but those Stanley lads, particularly the defenders, looked like giants out there and our forwards just bounced off them.

Great experience for those guys, crowd gave them a little bit of jip which they'll need to know how to deal with if they are to go anywhere in the game, John Coleman had his side up for it also so they have today found out what it was like to play against a motivated team of senior players.

Dixon-Bonner and Christie-Davies had good games in midfield, probably the only players we had that could hold their own physically.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Really pleased with how the academy kids have done in League Cup so far. I was disappointed that they might go out because it would have deprived them of chances for first team football, in the short term at least, and I hope that FA or whichever governing body presides over the cup will find a solution for that quarter-final game to be played (no way they are going through to the semi-finals, not with the fixture congestion the club are facing but it will still be a good experience for them - and the probability of facing strong Man City, Man United or Everton sides is pretty high).

Credit to Klopp for starting Kelleher, the lad must have been buzzing before the game. Some great saves and two that unfortunately fell to Arsenal rather than Liverpool players. Neco Williams has always been decent in U18s but he surpassed my wildest expectations last night, a really positive perfomance from him overall. Elliott and Jones continue impressing, hopefully they stay fit and remain on this development curve, they look fearless. Only Van Den Berg looked a bit awestruck last night - and I'm yet to see which qualities got him into Liverpool's and Bayern's sights - but he's only seventeen, so there's plenty of time for him. He's got a great frame for a centre back, though, but he needs to add some agility to his game, he looked a bit slow on the turn last night.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Really pleased with how the academy kids have done in League Cup so far. I was disappointed that they might go out because it would have deprived them of chances for first team football, in the short term at least, and I hope that FA or whichever governing body presides over the cup will find a solution for that quarter-final game to be played (no way they are going through to the semi-finals, not with the fixture congestion the club are facing but it will still be a good experience for them - and the probability of facing strong Man City, Man United or Everton sides is pretty high).

Credit to Klopp for starting Kelleher, the lad must have been buzzing before the game. Some great saves and two that unfortunately fell to Arsenal rather than Liverpool players. Neco Williams has always been decent in U18s but he surpassed my wildest expectations last night, a really positive perfomance from him overall. Elliott and Jones continue impressing, hopefully they stay fit and remain on this development curve, they look fearless. Only Van Den Berg looked a bit awestruck last night - and I'm yet to see which qualities got him into Liverpool's and Bayern's sights - but he's only seventeen, so there's plenty of time for him. He's got a great frame for a centre back, though, but he needs to add some agility to his game, he looked a bit slow on the turn last night.
I'm pleasantly surprised to be honest, the technical ability all these kids have is just unreal. Williams was full of tricks as a right back for example.

You can clearly see how they take inspiration from the players in front of them. Brewster was hounding back all game winning the ball ala Firmino as another example.

Curtis Jones must be close to taking Lallana's spot in the squad.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Have to say I was impressed with Jones when he came on and was really impressed with Williams throughout. Wasn't the best performance by Elliott but at 16 it's expected he still is a talent if he continues his development.

I hope they get to play another game in the cup, I was glad we kept the Anfield record going as well.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Have to say I was impressed with Jones when he came on and was really impressed with Williams throughout. Wasn't the best performance by Elliott but at 16 it's expected he still is a talent if he continues his development.

I hope they get to play another game in the cup, I was glad we kept the Anfield record going as well.
Elliotts touch/passing let him down but his movement and vision is so far ahead of pretty much anyone else I've seen at that age.

Joe Gomez x

Think Sepp was mainly signed due to his good build as a centre half , with our excellent coaching and his training his ability will sky rocket and maybe when he’s around 19 he will get his loan move to a championship or league one side to give him match experience.

Only centre half’s know how hard it is to get thrown into a big game as a debut at his age. Any mistake (which happened all over the pitch) is maximised and is punished harshly. He is about 10 years from his peak and about 5 years from any sign of first team football, so give him time.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I'm pleasantly surprised to be honest, the technical ability all these kids have is just unreal. Williams was full of tricks as a right back for example.

You can clearly see how they take inspiration from the players in front of them. Brewster was hounding back all game winning the ball ala Firmino as another example.

Curtis Jones must be close to taking Lallana's spot in the squad.
Klopp will be careful about replacing a vastly experienced player with a newbie, regardless of his talent but I guess that injuries have rendered Lallana a squad player and not much more... I had predicted a loan move for Jones and I was surprised that he didn't get one. Now I can see why, it seems that he's been putting in the hard yards and it showed in both League Cup games. No flashy moves, just pass and move, pass and move. He admitted in his recent interview that he took things for granted and that his behaviour wasn't the best - it seems that he's learned his lesson. I'm still not sure whether he should be coached into a wide player or a central one, he really impressed me last night, regardless of circumstances and competition.