• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Sweeting

Isn't Varesanovic left footed?
He could well be. Only time I've ever seen him was warming up at half time in the Blackburn game on Saturday and I wasn't paying attention to notice his feet.

LFCtv are saying we are playing a 442 with Varesanovic at the tip of a diamond.

Sweeting

1-0 Liverpool
Dixon-Bonner goal
Varasanovic assist

Great goal. Liverpool cpunter attacked through Norris and Stewart. Eventually falls to Varasanovic who squares to an unmarked Dixon-Bonner.

Sweeting

Disallowed goal for Accrington, not sure if it was offside or a foul on Winterbottom. Winterbottom has stayed down injured, got a whack to the head.

Poorly defended corner by Liverpool, which has been a big weakness all season for the youth sides.

Sweeting

1-1

Another goal conceded from a corner. Not a massive surprise given the age and experience of our team but still disappointing.

Sweeting

2-1 Accrington

Deserved goal for Accrington who have been the better team. Sharif scored it.

Liverpool struggling to deal with Accrington's physicality and making some naive mistakes.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
3-1 Accrington, Dion Charles,through on goal,1v1 and rounded the keeper.

Sweeting

Accrington just too big and strong in the end.

Technically I don't think there was a lot between the sides but those Stanley lads, particularly the defenders, looked like giants out there and our forwards just bounced off them.

Great experience for those guys, crowd gave them a little bit of jip which they'll need to know how to deal with if they are to go anywhere in the game, John Coleman had his side up for it also so they have today found out what it was like to play against a motivated team of senior players.

Dixon-Bonner and Christie-Davies had good games in midfield, probably the only players we had that could hold their own physically.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Really pleased with how the academy kids have done in League Cup so far. I was disappointed that they might go out because it would have deprived them of chances for first team football, in the short term at least, and I hope that FA or whichever governing body presides over the cup will find a solution for that quarter-final game to be played (no way they are going through to the semi-finals, not with the fixture congestion the club are facing but it will still be a good experience for them - and the probability of facing strong Man City, Man United or Everton sides is pretty high).

Credit to Klopp for starting Kelleher, the lad must have been buzzing before the game. Some great saves and two that unfortunately fell to Arsenal rather than Liverpool players. Neco Williams has always been decent in U18s but he surpassed my wildest expectations last night, a really positive perfomance from him overall. Elliott and Jones continue impressing, hopefully they stay fit and remain on this development curve, they look fearless. Only Van Den Berg looked a bit awestruck last night - and I'm yet to see which qualities got him into Liverpool's and Bayern's sights - but he's only seventeen, so there's plenty of time for him. He's got a great frame for a centre back, though, but he needs to add some agility to his game, he looked a bit slow on the turn last night.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Really pleased with how the academy kids have done in League Cup so far. I was disappointed that they might go out because it would have deprived them of chances for first team football, in the short term at least, and I hope that FA or whichever governing body presides over the cup will find a solution for that quarter-final game to be played (no way they are going through to the semi-finals, not with the fixture congestion the club are facing but it will still be a good experience for them - and the probability of facing strong Man City, Man United or Everton sides is pretty high).

Credit to Klopp for starting Kelleher, the lad must have been buzzing before the game. Some great saves and two that unfortunately fell to Arsenal rather than Liverpool players. Neco Williams has always been decent in U18s but he surpassed my wildest expectations last night, a really positive perfomance from him overall. Elliott and Jones continue impressing, hopefully they stay fit and remain on this development curve, they look fearless. Only Van Den Berg looked a bit awestruck last night - and I'm yet to see which qualities got him into Liverpool's and Bayern's sights - but he's only seventeen, so there's plenty of time for him. He's got a great frame for a centre back, though, but he needs to add some agility to his game, he looked a bit slow on the turn last night.
I'm pleasantly surprised to be honest, the technical ability all these kids have is just unreal. Williams was full of tricks as a right back for example.

You can clearly see how they take inspiration from the players in front of them. Brewster was hounding back all game winning the ball ala Firmino as another example.

Curtis Jones must be close to taking Lallana's spot in the squad.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Have to say I was impressed with Jones when he came on and was really impressed with Williams throughout. Wasn't the best performance by Elliott but at 16 it's expected he still is a talent if he continues his development.

I hope they get to play another game in the cup, I was glad we kept the Anfield record going as well.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Have to say I was impressed with Jones when he came on and was really impressed with Williams throughout. Wasn't the best performance by Elliott but at 16 it's expected he still is a talent if he continues his development.

I hope they get to play another game in the cup, I was glad we kept the Anfield record going as well.
Elliotts touch/passing let him down but his movement and vision is so far ahead of pretty much anyone else I've seen at that age.

Joe Gomez x

Think Sepp was mainly signed due to his good build as a centre half , with our excellent coaching and his training his ability will sky rocket and maybe when he’s around 19 he will get his loan move to a championship or league one side to give him match experience.

Only centre half’s know how hard it is to get thrown into a big game as a debut at his age. Any mistake (which happened all over the pitch) is maximised and is punished harshly. He is about 10 years from his peak and about 5 years from any sign of first team football, so give him time.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I'm pleasantly surprised to be honest, the technical ability all these kids have is just unreal. Williams was full of tricks as a right back for example.

You can clearly see how they take inspiration from the players in front of them. Brewster was hounding back all game winning the ball ala Firmino as another example.

Curtis Jones must be close to taking Lallana's spot in the squad.
Klopp will be careful about replacing a vastly experienced player with a newbie, regardless of his talent but I guess that injuries have rendered Lallana a squad player and not much more... I had predicted a loan move for Jones and I was surprised that he didn't get one. Now I can see why, it seems that he's been putting in the hard yards and it showed in both League Cup games. No flashy moves, just pass and move, pass and move. He admitted in his recent interview that he took things for granted and that his behaviour wasn't the best - it seems that he's learned his lesson. I'm still not sure whether he should be coached into a wide player or a central one, he really impressed me last night, regardless of circumstances and competition.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
He just needs to continue with this new mindset, regardless of the position, be it as LCM in a 3, or in the left half-space in a front 3. Not as a winger (or attacker of space), but more Coutinho-type (which would also mean adding more end product). A lot of things need to click before you can really challenge for these up and down 8's under Klopp. It's a very demanding position. We see that even some expensive signings are struggling. Lallana has (or had... unfortunately) a special mixture of silky touches, good running capability and maybe even more important, the willingness to do it. Just listen to the stuff Pep talked about before Arsenal, work on those specific elements on or in this case, more importantly, off the ball and accept playing anywhere for a start.

Sweeting

U23s 2-1 Everton
Goals: Gallacher, Kane

Winterbottom
Gallacher Clayton Boyes Norris
Dixon-Bonner Chirivella Kane
Elliott Larouci Jones

Subs: Atherton; Koumetio, Christie-Davies, Coyle, Longstaff

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I'm still not sure whether he should be coached into a wide player or a central one, he really impressed me last night, regardless of circumstances and competition.
I think the value of his coaching at present should mean that his experience from playing both centrally and wider will stand him in good stead.

Sweeting

U19s vs Genk has been moved to behind closed doors at the Academy. Apparently the pitch in St Helens, where they normally play the UEFA Youth League games, was unplayable.

Sweeting

Will it still be televised?
I don't think so

Team News

Ojrzynski
Williams VDBerg Boyes Norris
Longstaff Dixon-Bonner Clarkson Larouci
Elliott Brewster​

Winterbottom; Savage, Koumetio, Clayton, Cain, Morton, Hill

costared

TIA Reserve Team
That is prety pathetic. A club at our level cannot organise a European youth match to be televised !

With the "single camera" system that is often used for youth games these days I would have thought it would not be to big a challenge. Single camera is not great but is better than no camera.

Last edited:

Sweeting

That is prety pathetic. A club at our level cannot organise a European youth match to be televised !

With the "single camera" system that is often used for youth games these days I would have thought it would not be to big a challenge. Single camera is not great but is better than no camera.
Somehow Leicester manage to show all of their U23s game live and free on their website. Even away games.