• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Sweeting

U19s lost 1-0 to a 93rd minute winner - leaves them 2nd in the group level on points (7) with Salzburg and Genk.

Salzburg beat Napoli 5-1 in Naples.

Sweeting

U18s v West Brom

Ojrzynski
Walls Savage Koumetio Beck
Morton Clarkson Norris
Cain
Hill Woltman
Subs: Davies; Wilson, Quansah, Corness, Bradley

Sweeting

2-0 to West Brom after 15 minutes.

Both goals came as a result of mistakes by our full backs. First goal Beck sold himself and got beaten for pace allowing a dangerous cross which was converted.

Second goal Walls got the ball stuck under his foot and had possession pinched off him, the forward ran through 1v1 and scored.

Sweeting

3-0 now. Doesn't seem to be anyone playing in defense!

Another mistake from the Reds as Clarkson (I think) tried to play out from the back, it was intercepted and one pass later it was rolled into the goal.

Sweeting

Half time 6-1. Max Woltman pulled one back om the stroke of half time.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Academy seems to be having a bad season although a few have done well when stepping up a level. I am struggling to understand that.

Sweeting

Academy seems to be having a bad season although a few have done well when stepping up a level. I am struggling to understand that.
18s just didn't seem up for it. It was heavy rain, freezing cold, windy and they got bullied by West Brom. Even Ojrzynski was terrible (conceded a goal direct from a corner) and he has been rock solid this season.

In fairness to them to responded a little but overall a terrible performance.

Sweeting

U23s beat Sunderland 2-1 in the PL Cup. Makes it two wins from two in the group.

Atherton
Gallacher VDBerg Clayton Larouci
Christie-Davies Chirivella Kane
Dixon-Bonner Brewster Longstaff

Brewster scored a penalty and forced an own goal.

blaze

Faith.
Our U-23s seem to have kicked on after a slow start. Performances gone up I think, with what little I have seen.

Sweeting

Our U-23s seem to have kicked on after a slow start. Performances gone up I think, with what little I have seen.
I agree with that. One defeat in their last ten games (vs Accrington Stanley in the EFL Trophy). Unbeaten in the PL2 since August.

Defence is starting to look a little better also, not exactly Mourinho at Chelsea level but certainly better than letting in 3 goals a game like they were in August.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
A bit dissapointed that our U18s won’t participate in the Mercedes-Benz Junior Cup again in January after we won it last time.

Sweeting

U23s 2018/2019 vs U23s 2019/2020

I was inspired by how nice the season by season results table looks at the moment so I borrowed (stole) it to look at our youth sides also.

Interesting that the U23s started really badly but turned it around quickly and now have managed to be +6 pts courtesy of a seven match unbeaten run. Concern will be that they have conceded ten more goals in comparative fixtures this season.

U18 2018/2019 vs U18 2019/2020

Tough act to follow for the 18s having finished second place on GD to Derby County last season. This group is a bit more "no-name" with the high profile players - Bobby Duncan and Paul Glatzel in particular - having moved up or moved on. With that in mind they are doing a good job of keeping up with last year's Youth Cup champions, currently sitting on -3pts but a big +5 goal difference (and that is taking into account two hammerings they've taken away at Man City and West Brom). Similar to the U23s they have also conceded ten more goals this season, which does seem to be a systemic issue running through the club at the moment.

What is also interesting is that the current side are massively outscoring last season's prolific squad. Even without a comparative "superstar", like Bobby Duncan, Liverpool are +15 GF against last season's team.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
U23s 2018/2019 vs U23s 2019/2020

I was inspired by how nice the season by season results table looks at the moment so I borrowed (stole) it to look at our youth sides also.

Interesting that the U23s started really badly but turned it around quickly and now have managed to be +6 pts courtesy of a seven match unbeaten run. Concern will be that they have conceded ten more goals in comparative fixtures this season.

U18 2018/2019 vs U18 2019/2020

Tough act to follow for the 18s having finished second place on GD to Derby County last season. This group is a bit more "no-name" with the high profile players - Bobby Duncan and Paul Glatzel in particular - having moved up or moved on. With that in mind they are doing a good job of keeping up with last year's Youth Cup champions, currently sitting on -3pts but a big +5 goal difference (and that is taking into account two hammerings they've taken away at Man City and West Brom). Similar to the U23s they have also conceded ten more goals this season, which does seem to be a systemic issue running through the club at the moment.

What is also interesting is that the current side are massively outscoring last season's prolific squad. Even without a comparative "superstar", like Bobby Duncan, Liverpool are +15 GF against last season's team.
Scoring-wise, who is standing out for the U18s, or is it a case of sharing more goals among the rest of the team?

Sweeting

U19s vs Napoli

Winterbottom
Williams Hoever vdBerg Larouci
Dixon-Bonner Clarkson Cain
Elliott Longstaff Jones​

Subs: Davies; Boyes, Clayton, Norris, Hill, Bradley, Morton

Brewster has presumably travelled with the first team.