Liverpool's 50 Greatest Ever Players - The Vote

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Thanks @Broomy for setting this up. I had a couple of weeks to think about this on holiday. Not as easy as I thought it would be.

1). Sir KD - I take what others have said about him maybe not being the very best player we've had, but greatness is also defined by achievement, not just pure ability and as a player and player/manager no one comes close.
2). Steven Gerrard - Won everything bar the PL. Damn you, Demba Ba. Scored my favourite ever goal (Olympiakos) and was awesomely good under Rafa.
3). John Barnes - My favourite ever LFC player. We were drunk on success when he came and I had seen so many brilliant players up to that point but I had never seen one like John Barnes. 87-90 he was a sight to behold, gliding past players. Everything was so effortless. Injuries ruined him but he reinvented himself as a central midfielder where he was still very influential in the Evans era.
4). Graeme Souness - Worst manager we ever had but even though I always found him a hard person to warm to, you can not deny how important he was to us as a player during his peak period. We were not the same team when he was not in it. The epitome of a strong leader on the pitch.
5). Ian Rush - Not just for his obvious goalscoring exploits but because of his work ethic. We defended from the front when Rushie played. Klopp would have loved him.
6). Kevin Keegan - a bit unloved amongst Liverpool fans generally but Keegan was a helluva player and it was his arrival and impact that helped kick-start the success we had in the seventies.
7). Luis Suarez - I feel a bit bad about putting someone in who basically had one good season for us but during that season he was simply the best footballer I had ever seen play for Liverpool.
8). Ian Callaghan - He was there when we were going nowhere in the old second division at the start of the sixties and he was still there when we won the European Cup for the first time in 1977 with masses of success in between. A first team regular for 17 years.
9). Alan Hansen - A great defender and captain. It is a tribute to him that even now our CBs are judged by his standards and that the ones who play in a similar way tend to be the fans favourite.
10). Robbie Fowler - God.

Not a lot to choose between the rest of these. Sorry Xabi, you just missed out.

11). Ray Kennedy.
12). Roger Hunt.
13). Jamie Carragher.
14). Ray Clemence.
15). Sami Hyppia.
16). Ian St John.
17). Mark Lawrenson.
18). Emlyn Hughes.
19). Phil Thompson.
20). Tommy Smith.
21). Phil Neal.
22). Fernando Torres.
23). Steve Heighway.
24). Steve McManaman.
25). Peter Beardsley.
26). Chris Lawler.
27). Ron Yeats.
28). Ronnie Whelan.
29). Steve McMahon.
30). Terry McDermott.

Last edited:
Just far too difficult.
I start with the player that got me hooked Kevin Keegan. Then along comes Dalglish to displace him at the same time there was that lovely cuddly man Emlyn Hughes who has to take their places at the top. Oh but Clemence ...... its never ending. I think my favorite favorite best player ever was Gerrard but then there was Fowler and I had a big soft spot for David Fairclough. I'm not even going to try! :-)

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Just far too difficult.
I start with the player that got me hooked Kevin Keegan. Then along comes Dalglish to displace him at the same time there was that lovely cuddly man Emlyn Hughes who has to take their places at the top. Oh but Clemence ...... its never ending. I think my favorite favorite best player ever was Gerrard but then there was Fowler and I had a big soft spot for David Fairclough. I'm not even going to try! :-)
So just give it to Craig Johnston and be done with it :tongue: ;-)

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Right, i'm currently adding up the scores here!! I'm going to leave this thread open for another week, so if you havn't already voted get your votes in and see which players make it into our 50 Greatest Ever Players....

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
1) King Kenny
2) Souness
3) Barnes
4) Gerrard
5) Keegan
6) Hansen
7) Alonso
8) Ray Kennedy
9) Rush
10) Fowler
11) Phil Thompson
12) Tommy Smith
13) Beardsley
14) Liddell
15) Hughes
16) Carra
17) Whelan
18) McMahon
19) Lawro
20) Heighway
21) Houghton
22) Clemence
23) Neal
24) Aldo
25) Callaghan
26) Hunt
27) Yeats
28) Brucie
29) Suarez
30) Terry Mc

By Lucifer's beard that is heard. That was a quick run down, if i sat and thought about it and did the list again it would be totally different.

Danny_

Can't believe so many have Carragher in the top 10 but anyway... I am leaving out the current squad so this is just pre-Klopp era. I am missing a few good players, I am sure.

1 King Kenny
2) Graeme Souness
3) John Barnes
4) Keegan
5) Clemence
6) Hansen
7) Gerrard
8) Suarez
8) Peter Beardsley
9) Rush
10) Aldridge
11) Torres
12) Ray Kennedy
13) Xabi Alonso
14) Hyypia
15) Mark Wright
16) Ronnie Whelan
17) McMannaman (mercenary prick)
18) Steve Nicol
19) Lawro
20) Heighway
21) Hughes
22) Steve mcMahon
23) Fowler
24) Terry McDermott
25) Phil Thompson
26) Bruce Grobellar
27) Finnan
28) Coutinho
29) Mascherano
30) Carra (he had two very good years playing alongside Hyppia. Other than this, he was just okay)

Edit: I forgot about Ray Houghton who should probably take Carragher's place but will just leave it... Coutinho is low on the list because we are just talking pre-Klopp era and he bailed on us so I am still bitter.

Of the current squad, the players I think that will definitely be on that list soon are:

VDV, Salah, Firmino, Mane (maybe Robinson if he keeps up the current level for another few years).
Potentially on the list if they develop into the players we hope for : Keita, Gomez, Allison.

Last edited:

Zico Nealy

1) Alan Hansen
2) king Kenny
3) Billy Liddle
4) Stevie G
5) Mighty Mouse
6) Graeme Souness
7) Roger Hunt
8) Ray Clemence
9) Elisha Scott
10) Sam Hardy
11) Alex Raisbeck
12) DiggerBarnes
13) Emlyn Hughes
14) Ian Rush
15) Robbie Fowler
16) Peter Beardsley
17) Peter Thompson
18) Ian Callaghan
19) Steve McMahon
20) jack Balmer
21)Ephraim Longsworth
22) Fernando Torres
23) Jamie Carragher
24) Terry McDermott
25) Phil Neal
26) Ian St John
27) Mark Lawrenson
28) Mo Salah
29) Steve McManaman
30) Ray Kennedy

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Can't believe so many have Carragher in the top 10 but anyway... I am leaving out the current squad so this is just pre-Klopp era. I am missing a few good players, I am sure.

1 King Kenny
2) Graeme Souness
3) John Barnes
4) Keegan
5) Clemence
6) Hansen
7) Gerrard
8) Suarez
8) Peter Beardsley
9) Rush
10) Aldridge
11) Torres
12) Ray Kennedy
13) Xabi Alonso
14) Hyypia
15) Mark Wright
16) Ronnie Whelan
17) McMannaman (mercenary prick)
18) Steve Nicol
19) Lawro
20) Heighway
21) Hughes
22) Steve mcMahon
23) Fowler
24) Terry McDermott
25) Phil Thompson
26) Bruce Grobellar
27) Finnan
28) Coutinho
29) Mascherano
30) Carra (he had two very good years playing alongside Hyppia. Other than this, he was just okay)

Edit: I forgot about Ray Houghton who should probably take Carragher's place but will just leave it... Coutinho is low on the list because we are just talking pre-Klopp era and he bailed on us so I am still bitter.

Of the current squad, the players I think that will definitely be on that list soon are:

VDV, Salah, Firmino, Mane (maybe Robinson if he keeps up the current level for another few years).
Potentially on the list if they develop into the players we hope for : Keita, Gomez, Allison.
Good list that covering the last 30-40 years. Personally never rated mark wright and I think rob Jones should be in with a shout as he was a class fullback . obviously as you said Jan 'who ate all the pies' Molby was a class passer of the ball and probably underrated by the majority of our fans
Jim beglin I think would have been a top player as he was looking like a classy defender until that Everton prick went out of his way to mangle his leg and virtually ending his promising career