Loan Watch: 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgw_geneseo

Expert YouTube scout
[B]Jack Lusby[/B]‏ @[B]jacklusby_[/B]
Marko Grujic made his fifth start for Cardiff last night and completed his first full 90 mins in the Championship. Still playing deeper but by most accounts his best game so far: most successful tackles (three) of any player and won *15* aerial duels. #LFC

Has anyone watched him play in this deeper role? Is it as a deep-lying midfielder or in a midfield two?
I saw him play twice. He was deep both times. In the first game, he was very much in a midfield 2 in some sort of a 5-2-3, or a 3-4-2-1 (one forward, two wide wingers, and wing backs that pushed up into mid. Essentially 3 in the back, with two holding midfield players). I saw the Shef Wed game and the Leeds game. Of course, the Leeds game was a bit of a shit show. Leeds had someone sent off and the quality of the game was fairly terrible. Long ball up to Medine unsettled Leeds defense every time, so a lot of kick and rush. Leeds then had someone sent off and went down 3-0 before half time so I switched over to ManU V someone, also not a very good game. But Cardiff had set up 3 in the back for that game as well, but I thought Grujic looked more like the only anchor in mid in front of the back 3, but could be wrong do the the terrible quality of what Leeds brought to the game. Maybe as they've gotten more comfortable with him in the team they've pushed his midfield partner up a bit, but I doubt it. I think Leeds were just crap, so that's a long winded way of saying I think he's been in a holding role as one of two, with 3 CBs behind him.

But he was certainly being disciplined about how he got forward. Very much so in both games he was asked to shield the defense instead of charge forward and join the attack.

Limiescouse

Aye, thinking that one would be a short one was fanciful the way he went down. When you're banged up as he is and you do one that properly hurts like that one clearly did then it is cast iron that it's a significant injury.

GOAL: Ipswich 0-2 Hull City
Harry Wilson (39 mins)
The pressure has told for Hull City as they do get a second, with Harry Wilson the man on the spot for the Tigers.
Ola Aina whipped in a cross from the right to the back-stick where Wilson caught it sweetly to drill in on the volley and double the lead.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Is that now 3 goals and 2 assists for Wilson in 5 games for them? Mostly from the wing and not even all starts if Transfermarkt has it right. He scored and assisted in their last game I remember seeing it and thinking well done. May still have a proper player on our hands here.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
Is that now 3 goals and 2 assists for Wilson in 5 games for them? Mostly from the wing and not even all starts if Transfermarkt has it right. He scored and assisted in their last game I remember seeing it and thinking well done. May still have a proper player on our hands here.
Wishful thinking perhaps, I also hope he will make it but then I remember that I saw him in the flesh and that jinx has probably done him for the rest of his career. Two beautiful finishes in last two matches, though, I knew he had it in him, I just didn't think he could carry that over to competitive football.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Wishful thinking perhaps, I also hope he will make it but then I remember that I saw him in the flesh and that jinx has probably done him for the rest of his career. Two beautiful finishes in last two matches, though, I knew he had it in him, I just didn't think he could carry that over to competitive football.
At youth level he somehow hasn't convinced whilst putting up ridiculous scoring numbers didn't he? Just looked and he's 20 and except for 7 games on loan at Crewe 3 years ago and a solitary game for us this is his first experience of senior football. It's so strange how he hasn't had chances at senior level before now. No loans or cup games or anything.

MarcusBerglund

Grujic with two awful mistakes, looking at the highlights.
Losing an easy ball in the center of the field lead to Brentford's goal. And he definitely handballed in his own penalty area, but luckily for him the referee failed to spot it.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I see that Grujic didn't play last night against Wolves, not even on the bench. Dropped or injured?

Libero

I see that Grujic didn't play last night against Wolves, not even on the bench. Dropped or injured?
Just saw this myself and was wondering the same thing. Bit of drama in the last few minutes with Cardiff missing two penalties and Neil Warnock going off his rocker.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
5 goals for Wilson in 9 games. Fair play to him he is actually making me think he would be worth keeping as a back up/rotation option for our front three.
Great to see a loan move working out, to often our players have gone off to the wrong clubs or had the wrong managers and not been giving the chance to perform. Most of all pleased for him, because once your giving the chance you have to take it and that's what he's done.

Nikola

Admin
From what I've seen and read, when it comes to "notable" young loanees, loan moves seem to have worked out pretty well for Wilson, Grujić and Awoniyi, while Ejaria and Ojo have been a bit inconsistent but still useful. There was also some article yesterday about Marković seemingly turning it around but I couldn't be bothered to read it or follow his spell at Anderlecht. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have gone down well for Kent, he started off brightly but lost his starting spot according to Twitter reports.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
From what I've seen and read, when it comes to "notable" young loanees, loan moves seem to have worked out pretty well for Wilson, Grujić and Awoniyi, while Ejaria and Ojo have been a bit inconsistent but still useful. There was also some article yesterday about Marković seemingly turning it around but I couldn't be bothered to read it or follow his spell at Anderlecht. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have gone down well for Kent, he started off brightly but lost his starting spot according to Twitter reports.
Oddly enough I expected big things for Kent, sadly doesn't seem to be quite working, not sure if he's had any injury problems, but appears not to have made the squad at times.

Nikola

Admin
I hope this doesn't turn out to be another Canos at Brentford situation but a truly successful loan spell that will turn out to be a springboard to a decent career at Liverpool. This is incredible from him, though, seven goals, three assists in eleven appearances in a side that's not particularly strong.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
I hope this doesn't turn out to be another Canos at Brentford situation but a truly successful loan spell that will turn out to be a springboard to a decent career at Liverpool. This is incredible from him, though, seven goals, three assists in eleven appearances in a side that's not particularly strong.
Transfermarkt has it at 4 assists actually (I checked just a short while ago), assuming he didn't get any today. Finished 5-5 by the way, sounds like it was a good match!

Status
Not open for further replies.