Loan Watch: 2018/19

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
Currently out on loan:

Ovie Ejaria (Rangers)
Adan Bogdan (Hibernian)
Harry Wilson (Derby County)
Ryan Kent (Rangers)
Taiwo Awoniyi (Gent)
Shamal George (Tranmere)
Allan (Eintracht Frankfurt)
Ben Woodburn (Sheffield United)
Herbie Kane (Doncaster Rovers)
Danny Ings (Southampton)
Marko Grujić (Hertha Berlin)
Anderson Arroyo (Gent)
Connor Randall (Rochdale)
Loris Karius (Besiktas)
Sheyi Ojo (Reims)
Corey Whelan (Crewe)

Sweeting

Shamal George has joined Tranmere on loan officially after trialing last week against Fleetwood.

Given 1st choice goalkeeper Scott Davies' injury and backup Luke Pilling looking unconvincing in pre-season then George has a good chance of forcing himself in as 1st choice goalkeeper.

Sweeting

Ejaria is already a divisive figure. Just searched him on twitter and find people saying he is the shining light on the team and others saying he is fucking shite.

Hard to know what is true! Sunderland fans were similar.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Watched only the first half, fell asleep during half time. Kent showed bits of individual quality (on the other hand a couple of poor passes, just got there so he will improve with more training/game time), his cut inside run from the left (Flanno played LB), going past a few players and blocked shot led to the corner from which Rangers got their winning goal (which was a fine action from 4 players, all one-touch). Ejaria played between #10 and left advanced #8. Rangers opted for a relatively conservative approach (although were blocked at the halfway line/pushed back more by the opponent), managed to keep a clean sheet from apparently an improved second half performance by the home team.

Last edited:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Ejaria and Kent retain their places in Rangers' starting XI for the return leg tonight.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Started on the right yeah, Jozefzoon is on the bench (one of them could go on the left if they play together).

Herb

Just missed a decent chance at the back post, hit it straight at the keeper with him rushing back across to cover his goal.

Played pretty well, game has been very poor though.

Sweeting

Grujic's loan has fallen through with Cardiff. Looking at the comments from Warnock it looks like it was Grujic's decision.

Sweeting

Ben Woodburn was a used substitute for Sheff Utd as they lost 2-1 to Swansea.

The game winning goal was scored by Swansea new boy Yan Dhanda who only signed for them a few weeks ago after leaving ourselves.

Sweeting

Awoniyi starts for Gent tonight away to Polish side Jagellionia in the EL Qualifiers.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Bit of a shame to see Wilson was part of the Derby side that got thrashed at home by Leeds today. I feel like they might have a tough season under Lampard...

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/311848-liverpool-fc-loan-watch-ejaria-kent
Herbie Kane received glowing praise from Doncaster Rovers boss Grant McCann after the Liverpool loanee produced an ‘outstanding’ display on his senior professional debut.
The 19-year-old completed the full 90 minutes as McCann’s team made it two wins from two League One matches this term by beating Wycombe Wanderers 3-0 on Saturday.
And Doncaster’s manager was hugely impressed by Academy midfielder Kane, who is scheduled to spend the first half of 2018-19 at the Keepmoat Stadium.
“I thought he was outstanding. He covered every blade of grass, he was calm and composed, he showed lots of energy - exactly what we brought him to the football club for,” McCann said.
“He was aggressive as well and gets about people. For a home debut I thought he was top drawer.
“He’s done his job today. We know he is quality [and] I said when we brought him in he can play as a No.4, a six, or an eight.
“I’ve seen him play but the recommendations we had came from some of the top names in the game. It was no-brainer to bring him in.”

Elsewhere, Ovie Ejaria and Ryan Kent helped Steven Gerrard’s Rangers claim their first Scottish Premiership win of the season by beating St Mirren 2-0 on Sunday.
The Reds duo, on loan at the Glasgow club for the entirety of the campaign, both started at Ibrox, with Ejaria completing the full match and Kent being substituted 20 minutes from time.
Kent nearly registered an assist when his corner was nodded off the post by Connor Goldson, while Ejaria could have scored his first goal in Rangers colours late on when he regained possession high up the pitch but then saw his shot saved by St Mirren’s goalkeeper.

In the Championship, Ben Woodburn was introduced with 20 minutes remaining in Sheffield United’s come-from-behind 2-1 victory at Queens Park Rangers, and Harry Wilson played for an hour as Derby County were defeated 4-1 by Leeds United.

Taiwo Awoniyi, meanwhile, played 70 minutes of Gent’s 4-1 victory over Waasland-Beveren.

MarcusBerglund

Ben Woodburn /lost on penalties vs. Hull, Ben scored from the penalty spot for United/ and Shamal George /conceded 3 as Tranmere lost 1-3/ played 90 minutes in the League Cup.

Herbie Cane with another 90 minutes for Doncaster and his team advanced in the next round with 2-1 away at Scunthorpe.

Harry Wilson did not start for Derby and played for the final 25 minutes as the Rams advanced in the next round /2-0 away from home vs. Oldham/.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
Grujić loaned out to Hertha, there will probably be a few more. Ojo rumoured to be signing a new contract as well before heading out on loan to a Championship club.

I find these deals interesting, as @Zoran said in another thread, very similar to what Chelsea have been doing for past few years (I'm a bit puzzled that they are able to convince them to sign up, I thought that Wilson and Grujić would have left at certain points - perhaps they really believe in Klopp and Inglethorpe). To add to that, deals for the likes of Stewart, Phillips or Christie-Davis seem a common occurrence these days, it's as though staff at the club have faith in certain recommendations and act upon them, helping out these players when they are unwanted and making a solid financial return on them.

Liverpool seem to be gradually improving when it comes to using the loan market, I just hope that they will start benefitting from actually getting back an improved (young) player, ready to make an impact with the first team, rather than getting back a player they will sell for profit (not a bad runner-up prize, though). Awoniyi and Woodburn are my picks here, there actually might be a place for them in the future if they can make significant improvements in basic aspects of Klopp's football.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Kent and Ejaria both played well for Rangers as they won 3-1 at Kilmarnock in the cup.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
From the lineups I saw (doesn't have to be accurate or mean much), Awoniyi played on the left of a 4-2-3-1 and Woodburn played #10 in a 3-4-1-2.

Sweeting

General consensus on Woodburn among Sheff Utd fans is that he needs to do things much, much quicker than he currently does and that they do not know what his best position is.

Pretty much things we already knew as Liverpool fans. Hopefully he learns how to pick the pace up with his speed of thought and gets himself settled into a role this year, my gut feeling is that he will need more than just this one season to figure himself out though.

Limiescouse

General consensus on Woodburn among Sheff Utd fans is that he needs to do things much, much quicker than he currently does and that they do not know what his best position is.

Pretty much things we already knew as Liverpool fans. Hopefully he learns how to pick the pace up with his speed of thought and gets himself settled into a role this year, my gut feeling is that he will need more than just this one season to figure himself out though.
I said a while back that even if he makes it he likely wont do so until he's 22-23. I think for the sort of player he is, one who cannot really fall back on physical gifts while he's learning, that he will take longer. That's the concern with him breaking through so young that people will expect a quicker trajectory. I suspect that his most likely path to being a top Prem player is to take the David Bentley route rather than with Liverpool.