• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Loan Watch: 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweeting

Awoniyi scored twice on Friday in a defeat for Mouscron.

11 goals in 16 games for him. Seems unlikely to get him a work permit but a record like that should help us get a decent fee for him.
Report today that Lazio are set to make an effort to sign Awoniyi. They have already secured Bobby Adekanye on a free. Awoniyi would cost around £10m.

Allan has started the last eight games for Fulminense and is starting to become integral to them, hopefully we can find an amicable solution to his sale.

Ovie Ejaria was apparently excellent for Reading in the 2nd half of the season and can expect to get a move to the Championship - whether on loan or permanent. I imagine Liverpool would want a fee roughly similar to that of Awoniyi.

Rangers have made another offer for Ryan Kent but it looks like they want to keep him on loan as they cannot afford our asking price of £12m. I would expect this one to drag on a few weeks as we are probably confident we could get a team to part £10m+ for him.

Herbie Kane will likely step up to the Championship after a good year at Doncaster. Hull City want him on loan - they won't be able to afford to buy him outright.

Liam Millar has stated that he would like to return to Kilmarnock on loan next season. He was slowly integrated into the side after his winter move and began to establish himself towards the end of the season.

Last edited:

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Report today that Lazio are set to make an effort to sign Awoniyi. They have already secured Bobby Adekanye on a free. Awoniyi would cost around £10m.

Allan has started the last eight games for Fulminense and is starting to become integral to them, hopefully we can find an amicable solution to his sale.

Ovie Ejaria was apparently excellent for Reading in the 2nd half of the season and can expect to get a move to the Championship - whether on loan or permanent. I imagine Liverpool would want a fee roughly similar to that of Awoniyi.

A 400k purchase to a £10m sale without playing a single minute for the club is crazy.

Sweeting

I guess this thread is the wrong year now but Sheyi Ojo has made a nice start for Rangers, scored and was apparently excellent in his debut (an early EL qualifier).

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
There is no doubt that the loan system is probably the best ( if not the only ) way for the club to sell players they have invested so much in the academy to other clubs. Basically giving a young player a chance to showcase his talent and potential somewhere, because we can't give him that opportunity in our 1st team.
The question is, is the loan system working in advancing and preparing players to take their place with LFC first team.
The only player with our 1st team to day who has went out on loan is Origi, and his loan spell was horrible. Both Gomez and TAA did not go out on loan and took their place with the first team straight from the academy, and it seems Rhian Brewster will follow the same path.
On the flip side, we have Wilson, Kent and Grujic who are coming back from the best loan spell imaginable probably but are unlikely to find a place in the squad.

I can't remember a single player who was sent out on loan to gain experience, return to the club and take his place as a regular with the first team.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
There is no doubt that the loan system is probably the best ( if not the only ) way for the club to sell players they have invested so much in the academy to other clubs. Basically giving a young player a chance to showcase his talent and potential somewhere, because we can't give him that opportunity in our 1st team.
The question is, is the loan system working in advancing and preparing players to take their place with LFC first team.
The only player with our 1st team to day who has went out on loan is Origi, and his loan spell was horrible. Both Gomez and TAA did not go out on loan and took their place with the first team straight from the academy, and it seems Rhian Brewster will follow the same path.
On the flip side, we have Wilson, Kent and Grujic who are coming back from the best loan spell imaginable probably but are unlikely to find a place in the squad.

I can't remember a single player who was sent out on loan to gain experience, return to the club and take his place as a regular with the first team.
I must admit after Danny Ward's massively successful loan at Huddersfield, I was sure he'd step up to become at least our number 2 and maybe in the future our number 1. Then BAM! see you later Danny.

I suppose you could say if we are still getting youth players through to the team while making money from sales of other youth players then, yes it is working, just not as we think it should.

Sweeting

Inglethorpe strongly believes in the loan market - he brought through Harry Kane, Andros Townsend etc through good loan deals.

I think loanees joining the first team will become more normal under his stewardship but I agree we haven't exploited it well to date.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I apologise for having to cut this discussion but it is time for new season, so new thread and all. I would like to ask you to carry over to this thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.