Loan Watch: 2018/19

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Far, far, far too much is made of that tackle. That game was on 20th April. He was back and appeared for us on 18th May. That's with Klopp who is extremely stringent about players being back up to fitness standards before being used. Physically that injury was a blip on a players career. If it scared and intimidated him enough to fuck up his motivation for years then he was never a player for us because Liverpool players will always be fouled and injured. It may not be fair but it will happen. His run of form was never as great as was made out either. 391 minutes of European football under Klopp before the injury and 3 goals. It took a lot of playing time for him to get to the level he was at when he scored in the 2 Dortmund games. 647 minutes in the league under Klopp. 5 goals 1 assist hardly earth shattering. He played 281 minutes in the cups too scoring that hatrick against Southampton that showed there was promise there. I thought he could develop further, had hopes for him and Firmino being our CF choices for years to come. But Origis run of form before that injury grows greater with each telling. In reality he had 2 good high profile games against Dortmund, a good game against Stoke in the league and a great one against Southampton in the cup. Outside those games he played a lot and didn't offer much.
Understood, and I counter that with:

Show me a 19/20yo striker in the PL who has been consistently banging them in.

It is very rare. He was promising as a young talent but few are able to make that leap

Anfield rd Dreamer

Understood, and I counter that with:

Show me a 19/20yo striker in the PL who has been consistently banging them in.

It is very rare. He was promising as a young talent but few are able to make that leap
And that I think is 100% fair. For about 6 months he really was very promising. But people overegg it. Talk like he was the second coming of Messi who had his career senselessly curtailed by the worst, most horrendous foul the world has ever seen. He was promising he was a long way away from being good enough to be our starting CF. He was showing that maybe hed be good enough to be our first back up. And the horrific injury kept him out for a maximum of 3 weeks. Physically it was nothing.

FilthyBloke

I think a lot of fans always see a player, especially a younger one, with the potential they might have, rather than how they actually are.
Origi, for me, was a Ryan Babel player. In a lot of people’s minds he was the new Barnes, but in reality he just didn’t have the mentality to be consistent at the top.
I do think klopp could use origi more though. Solanke got plenty of chances last season and was fairly useless and didn’t seem to fit in to the system. I don’t see the harm in having origi or solanke on the bench. Better than having three centre mids or two centre backs on the bench.

Either way I’d like to see a new striker in.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
I hope we bring Wilson back in January. Would be a class option to bring off the bench.
Don't quite agree with this, unless we are hit with bad injuries to our forwards. With us, he'd sit on the bench for the majority of games, whereas at Derby, he does what he needs to do at his age: play and develop himself on a consistent basis. He shows real potential, and next season, he might be ready for us, we'll see.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Don't quite agree with this, unless we are hit with bad injuries to our forwards. With us, he'd sit on the bench for the majority of games, whereas at Derby, he does what he needs to do at his age: play and develop himself on a consistent basis. He shows real potential, and next season, he might be ready for us, we'll see.
Yeah, you've got a good point Hope. We're not exactly banging the goals in so far though are we? I really think he's good enough right now to come off the bench and make a difference.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Yeah, you've got a good point Hope. We're not exactly banging the goals in so far though are we? I really think he's good enough right now to come off the bench and make a difference.
I don't know... He obviously plays a role in the Derby team which is the best for him right now, and builds up his confidence by shining in the Championship. If he had to come in for a few minutes here and there for us, and we'd expect him to score, I don't think it would have a positive impact on his development. We have seen that Solanke, while obviously very talented, is currently in a bit of a slump. If the situations had been reversed (Solanke out on loan and Wilson with us) we might have seen similar stories.

The Championship is obviously a different animal form the PL, and it's good that Wilson can prove himself at this level. But it's far from being a certainty that he can translate the same scoring form into the PL. That's why I think that he's at the right place at the right time right now. Let him develop there, and surely Klopp will assess him extensively when he comes back next summer, and hopefully he'll see enough to think that he is ready for us. Fingers crossed.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Bobby, Mane, Salah, Shaqiri, Wilson, Solanke/Brewster with buying someone like Griezmann/Dybala/Werner looks excellent options on paper for our attacking 4.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Bobby, Mane, Salah, Shaqiri, Wilson, Solanke/Brewster with buying someone like Griezmann/Dybala/Werner looks excellent options on paper for our attacking 4.
Add in Ox and maybe Woodburn too as I'd consider them more part of the options for the most attacking 4 roles on the pitch. You could have Ox, Shaqiri, Mane, Wilson or Woodburn playing more like a CAM behind a front man or field a fluid front two picked from Firmino, new guy, Salah or Brewster (Solanke desperately needs a loan). Then either way you field two wide options picked from Salah, Mane, Shaqiri, new guy and Wilson with Ox and Woodburn around as emergency cover. Just replacing Lallana, Solanke, Origi and Sturridge with players returning from loan or injury in Ox, Brewster, Wilson and Woodburn and adding one top level talent switches our attack from "brilliant starters with little appropriate cover" to "world class starters with great cover"!

Sweeting

Beautifully taken, I liked it as much as the first goal, to be honest. Defender's reaction is slow, though, but he made the most out of it. By the way, does he play as a central attacking midfielder mostly?
Yes from what I've read/seen he spends most of his time centrally but has the freedom to drift wide.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
Yes from what I've read/seen he spends most of his time centrally but has the freedom to drift wide.
That's what I'd like for him because I don't think he has the pace to be an actual threat from wide positions. I did find his interview from yesterday strange in that aspect, though, he namechecked Firmino, Salah and Mane as players he would be competing with if he was at Liverpool. I've always thought it's Lallana who's most likely to be replaced by Wilson if Wilson makes it at Liverpool.

Sweeting

That's what I'd like for him because I don't think he has the pace to be an actual threat from wide positions. I did find his interview from yesterday strange in that aspect, though, he namechecked Firmino, Salah and Mane as players he would be competing with if he was at Liverpool. I've always thought it's Lallana who's most likely to be replaced by Wilson if Wilson makes it at Liverpool.
He wouldn't be competing with Lallana as he would have already displaced him.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
He wouldn't be competing with Lallana as he would have already displaced him.
Of course but I perhaps didn't explain my thinking properly - what I meant was, he didn't mention any of the midfielders, just the forwards. I found that strange as I see him as a midfielder, albeit an attacking one.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Not every player can do that shift as well as Cazorla, Lallana, both Silva's, De Bruyne, to mention a few latest who managed that. In fact, they're still rare and those are still exceptions, some of top quality, some lesser quality. One thing is what we as fans imagine for young players, but it's a long road for a lot of them. Wilson is still at the moment more of a between the lines attacking type of player. He doesn't have to be all power and pace to maybe play a part one one of the sides for us at some point in the next season or two if he gets there. We see how Mane plays deeper and more tucked inside. So first things first, it's good that he's used in all 3 positions in Derby's attacking trio behind the striker, that he's not only stuck on the right. Opens up his mind and how to attack (and defend) from different sides. His quality left foot perhaps enables him to do a job even on the left, but of course as he's not such a dominant fast space attacker, he'll like to get involved more on the ball. When he "masters" that between the lines zone, then we'll possibly see if he can do a job deeper, that's how it goes mainly at a club like us. Klopp might think he doesn't quite have enough to his game to be one of our backups and he moves on like Suso, but we'll see. He's currently performing well and consistently, we'll see next summer what Klopp thinks about it, could he be that player to be part of our 4 "wide attackers" (even if Salah is basically playing as our main goalscorer), as we have 3 at the moment with Shaqiri obviously not really viewed as someone to backup for Mane on the left.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
I have been taking my DAZN subscription to capitalize on keeping tabs on the Championship highlights every week. Wilson has been a thriller last few months for Derby and thoroughly fun to watch that league. Really wide-open football at times!

jgw_geneseo

Expert YouTube scout

GermanRed

Completely forgot about him. Any updates on how he's doing from our German posters?
He is doing quite well. Was injured a few weeks and Hertha struggled a bit in that time. Grujic surprisingly came back from injury a bit early and played the full 90 minutes twice now. In the first game (against Hoffenheim) they were 0:2 and 1:3 down and played 3:3 in the end. The second game Berlin won 2:0.

Hertha fans love having him there. Grujic plays in a double pivot.

Dave-D

Good execution - a privelege for all those who got to see it live. All 12 of them.

What's going on with attendances north of the border?
Few things. Mid week game, Hibs have fallen off a cliff performance wise of late and it was against St Mirren so not seen as a big game.

But even taking that into account attendances in Scotland ain’t big unless it’s against old Firm, a derby or against Aberdeen as they always take a lot of fans with them.

Grujic scored a matchwinning header for Hertha Berlin yesterday against Frankfurt :well done: He's been a starter for them in their last 3 match unbeating run. I'm sure Klopp is monitering the situation closely. Some hope for him perhaps.

On the other hand Allan is having a mare loan spell for Frankfurt, out with a knee injury and only featured in 4 games this season.