Loan Watch: 2018/19

Richard88

Grujic scored a matchwinning header for Hertha Berlin yesterday against Frankfurt :well done: He's been a starter for them in their last 3 match unbeating run. I'm sure Klopp is monitering the situation closely. Some hope for him perhaps.

On the other hand Allan is having a mare loan spell for Frankfurt, out with a knee injury and only featured in 4 games this season.
Grujic could become a perfect long-term replacement for Henderson, given the age profiles of our DM's:

Henderson (28)
Fabinho (25)
Grujic (22)

Worth noting that a similar player in Nemanja Matic only broke through at Chelsea at age 26.

Given that he has both Fabinho and Henderson ahead of him it would make sense to loan Grujic out for next season as well (he even spoke of staying at Hertha another season if they qualify for the Europa League), after which he'd return to the club ready to seriously fight for a place at age 24, with Henderson entering his 30's (obviously presuming that he continues his development whilst on loan).

Claymenza

Hertha's manager has described Grujic as "the best midfielder we've had for 20 years". Some praise, that.
To be fair, if he is this well appreciated and performing well for Hertha Berlin...he belongs there.

Maybe it was meant to work out there. Our midfield is stacked with top players and I don't see him getting ahead of keita, fabinho, henderson.

If we double the price tag we paid for him, klopp might likely take the offer. We have ben woodward in the fringes too.

Sweeting

If Ejaria comes back I think we could/should look to replace him with someone else from the Academy.

Matty Virtue-Smith is the one who comes to mind as somewhere like Rangers could be where his long-term future lies and I think he would be more suited to the style up there.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
If Ejaria comes back I think we could/should look to replace him with someone else from the Academy.

Matty Virtue-Smith is the one who comes to mind as somewhere like Rangers could be where his long-term future lies and I think he would be more suited to the style up there.
Great shout that, Virtue is a lot more physical and direct than Ejaria. Not as fancy on the ball but has much better movement off the ball and gets into better positions.

Think that'd be a clear upgrade for Rangers and a good move for Virtue.

Richard88

Great shout that, Virtue is a lot more physical and direct than Ejaria. Not as fancy on the ball but has much better movement off the ball and gets into better positions.

Think that'd be a clear upgrade for Rangers and a good move for Virtue.
I love how it generally seems to be accepted that Rangers are our newest farm team lol

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
I'm watching Southampton - Arsenal and Ings has just scored a thumping header. I swear I saw him score a dozen identical goals for Burnley, there were times I hoped he would improve that aspect of Liverpool's attack given that he had a huge leap and great heading ability, especially for someone who isn't that tall compared to traditional strikers. Good to see him among scorers today anyway.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
I'm watching Southampton - Arsenal and Ings has just scored a thumping header. I swear I saw him score a dozen identical goals for Burnley, there were times I hoped he would improve that aspect of Liverpool's attack given that he had a huge leap and great heading ability, especially for someone who isn't that tall compared to traditional strikers. Good to see him among scorers today anyway.
Two goals for Ings, I believe?

Sweeting

He's an excellent striker for clubs staving off relegation. You would expect his goals return to be enough to ensure survival.

He is probably a bit too limited to be useful for anyone aiming to be in the top 6 - and for us he is well short of the standard.

Great for Southampton to have him though and it seems he fits the new manager's requirements like a glove.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
He can finish, but he also works his socks off and can actually link it well if he manages to buy himself an extra second (which you often don't get playing for a top 6 side). Like you say, just overall a bit limited to be part of the level we've reached now (and we arguably still need another better forward backup next summer). Wish him an injury-free career and that he enjoys himself in the top flight for as long as possible.

Richard88

Ovie Ejaria cutting his loan short... at 21 years old, I think it is time to sell and move him on. His loan to Rangers was pretty much his last shot in my books.
It's looking really unlikely that he's going to break into our midfield at this stage.

Fabinho and Henderson have the DM spot nailed down, and signed long-term, with Grujic developing nicely too.

Ahead of them, Keita, Ox, and Wijnaldum aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Lallana and Milner are both going to be winding down in the next season or two, but you'd think the club will be looking for someone with far greater attacking output (eg. a Fekir type) when replacing either of them.

Richard88

According to transfermarkt, Allan hasn't featured in any of Eintracht Frankfurt's Europa League games because of "no eligibility"..... anyone know the reason for that?

Anfield rd Dreamer

According to transfermarkt, Allan hasn't featured in any of Eintracht Frankfurt's Europa League games because of "no eligibility"..... anyone know the reason for that?
Just a guess but maybe they had already registered their A list for the competition. He hasn't been there long enough to be eligible for their B list despite his age so has to be one of up to 17 foreign club developed players on their A list. They might have already submitted it before he got there or not wasted a slot on him.

Limiescouse

Just a guess but maybe they had already registered their A list for the competition. He hasn't been there long enough to be eligible for their B list despite his age so has to be one of up to 17 foreign club developed players on their A list. They might have already submitted it before he got there or not wasted a slot on him.
The UEFA lists don't have to go in until after the window has closed so that can't be the issue. A possibility is that Eintract already have 18 non-homegrown players in their squad so couldnt make room for him in a UEFA squad. I think the BS only has a non-EU quota, and not a rule on HG players like the prem has that helps its teams meet the UEFA requirements. We're told German sides tend not to have to consider this as an issue because of the number of HG players in the league, but a quick look at their squad shows they have enough foreigners (albeit some of whom might qualify as HG, I dont know) to suggest this is a possibility.

Rambler

"First is first, second is nowhere". Bill Shankly.
The tackling in the Hibs Rangers game is brutal at times and going unpunished. I can see why Ejaria didn't like it up him.....

Sweeting

Wilson is why I think the idea of spending £100m on Jadon Sancho is just silly. Wilson is capable of playing the same squad role that Sancho plays, is playing our of his mind in one of the best leagues and scoring goals for fun.

Add to that we have Rhian Brewster just waiting for a chance.

That's not to say Sancho is not, or will not be, better than these two but why would we not want to see what we have with Brewster and Wilson first before dropping a club record fee on a 19 year old (and one who had "off field issues" living in the North West of England...)

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial

Harry Wilson with another cracking free kick and all round performance for Derby.
He certainly looks like premiership quality playing in the championship. I guess the next question for him to answer is where and how exactly he'd fit in the premier league. The answer we'd all love is he fits in somehow with Liverpool next season. Sometimes incremental steps have to be taken though, it's still a huge jump from Darby to Liverpool. This loan move obviously great for him, he'll come back having gotten used to playing against men every week, and will be full of confidence. He reminds me a bit of James Maddison, he cut his teeth in lower leagues, looked a prospect, and is now doing well at Leicester, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him jump a level again in a couple of years. Patience is really hard to come by when you see a talented 18-21 year old performing in youth and loan sides, and wonder why they aren't doing it at Liverpool. It's nice to see him doing so well, I can't remember the last loaned player who had such a big impact at that level.

If you go down to league 1, maybe we have two standout players in the lower leagues. Herbie Kane should be given a chance at the championship next season to see how he does.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Looks very much like Shaqiri in that video with the spaces he's getting into and way he receives the ball.

He's not a player that our squad needs but he's been too good to ignore and it'd be great to have another academy player knocking about.

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
Looks very much like Shaqiri in that video with the spaces he's getting into and way he receives the ball.

He's not a player that our squad needs but he's been too good to ignore and it'd be great to have another academy player knocking about.
Experience aside, one thing (or actually two?) Shaqiri has on him is physical build - Wilson isn't as quick and isn't that difficult to muscle off the ball. That said, only first half of the season taken into consideration, Liverpool got what they asked for with both and only one thing I could ask for when it comes to the two of them is that they continue doing what they've been doing for past three or four months.

I still think that he, Grujić and quite possibly Solanke will be spending 2019/20 on loan, fitness permitting. They signed new contracts, have the talent but not the maturity on the pitch - it does seem they have it off the pitch, though, and that they will accept club's decisions on their development without any fuss. Considering that probably all of Milner, Lallana, Sturridge and Origi will be phased out of Liverpool's squad over the course of the next two seasons, I imagine that chance is there for them to stake their claim for Liverpool career if they do well on loan. Of course, it's not all black and white like that but having a good spell away from the club is the least they can do to help their prospects of making it at Liverpool.

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
I always wonder if you're confusing Wilson for Woodburn when you say Wilson is not quick.
Neither strike me as particularly quick (especially Woodburn, now that you've mentioned him). That said, I compared him to Shaqiri and regarding that particular comparison, I don't think he's as quick. For what it's worth, I don't think he will base his game around his physical traits, I don't see him a future winger or a forward who likes to break the offside trap or drag out a defender to the byline, so it's probably for the best.

Perhaps it's unfair but, in my opinion, if he can become to Klopp what Lallana was in 2016/17, with the added bonus of being an exquisite set-piece taker, I'll be over the moon. Lallana wasn't electric but he was outstanding in terms of technique and pressing and had the knack for getting into right positions. That's the sort of player I hope Wilson will become for Liverpool.