• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Loan Watch: 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claymenza

What i got out of that video is that the championship's quality is going up.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Awoniyi won a penalty and scored the injury time winner away to league leaders Gent. He's become a bit of a forgotten man but it's great to see him hitting the ground running at Mouscron again.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Sheyi Ojo appears to have been forgotten. Haven't heard anything about how he's doing and I haven't seen any reference to his future here with us. I presume he'll leave at the end of the season as a massively unfulfilled talent.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Sheyi Ojo appears to have been forgotten. Haven't heard anything about how he's doing and I haven't seen any reference to his future here with us. I presume he'll leave at the end of the season as a massively unfulfilled talent.
Wiki has him at 10 appearances, no goals. He's played some at least. Maybe an injury hampered him? But you're right, radio silence about him, I'd completely forgotten about him.

Sweeting

He's been in and out of the team in France, has a few assists but has not tore up any trees.

He signed a long term contract with us before going on loan - my guess is that we won't find many clubs offering the ~£10m we will undoubtedly want and so he will go out on loan again next season. I have no idea how Reims play but I doubt a mid-table Ligue Un side really play to Sheyi's strengths of being on the front foot.

He is still extremely talented, if it ever clicks for him he could still be a really good player but his chances of making it at Liverpool now are borderline 0.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
1 goal and 1 assist in 16 games for Reims in all competitions. In and out of the side yes, mostly playing off the right, once on the left. Reims just signed a left winger (who can also do a job on the right) from Holland for a few millions. We'll see if that affects Sheyi's situation. Can't find how long he's got left on his Liverpool deal. Nothing special though, should be another loan then if not a sale.

Sweeting

1 goal and 1 assist in 16 games for Reims in all competitions. In and out of the side yes, mostly playing off the right, once on the left. Reims just signed a left winger (who can also do a job on the right) from Holland for a few millions. We'll see if that affects Sheyi's situation. Can't find how long he's got left on his Liverpool deal. Nothing special though, should be another loan then if not a sale.
To be fair to him, or maybe it is part of the criticism, but he is often a very late substitute so he has made 16 appearances but I think he's only played the full match 4 times.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Liam Miller has gone on loan to Kilmarnock after signing a new contract with Liverpool.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Tick Tock for Woodburn. Once window closes loans are also no longer a possibility, correct?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
A lot of people seem to have given up on Woodburn but he's still a very talented player and when he dropped back into the u23s he looked a class apart. Worth noting that Harry Wilson had a poor loan at Crewe before his more recent successful ones, progress is very rarely linear.

Whether Ben will actually get a chance or not in the 1sts remains to be seen, probably not. I think he could operate in the slot Bobby is playing in at the moment though.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
A lot of people seem to have given up on Woodburn but he's still a very talented player and when he dropped back into the u23s he looked a class apart. Worth noting that Harry Wilson had a poor loan at Crewe before his more recent successful ones, progress is very rarely linear.

Whether Ben will actually get a chance or not in the 1sts remains to be seen, probably not. I think he could operate in the slot Bobby is playing in at the moment though.
Certainly not writing him off, but Klopp came out at beginning of the week saying they'd like him out on loan again. It would be nice to see him play somewhere.

Sweeting

I think staying could be a really good thing for Woodburn. He needs to figure out who he is as a footballer before heading out and expecting to crack adult football.

If he takes this time, like Wilson did, to figure out a specific role he wants to play then when he heads out on loan next year we should be able to focus on getting him to a club that will alloe him to do that.

Sheffield United seems like we sent him out to get a bit of a shock about the level required.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think staying could be a really good thing for Woodburn. He needs to figure out who he is as a footballer before heading out and expecting to crack adult football.

If he takes this time, like Wilson did, to figure out a specific role he wants to play then when he heads out on loan next year we should be able to focus on getting him to a club that will alloe him to do that.

Sheffield United seems like we sent him out to get a bit of a shock about the level required.
Maybe a bad experience that stops him getting too big for his boots? Unintentionally or not it could really benefit him and us. I think he needs to learn to be Firminos understudy with Brewster learning to be Salahs.

Sweeting

Maybe a bad experience that stops him getting too big for his boots? Unintentionally or not it could really benefit him and us. I think he needs to learn to be Firminos understudy with Brewster learning to be Salahs.
Probably unintentional but that's hopefully the lesson he has taken. There is an article on the official site about Harry Wilson failing at Crewe and how much he took from that experience to make it a positive.

Sheff Utd are much better than Crewe were. Failing is not shameful, just a learning experience.

I agree on the player moulds you highlight. Woodburn is a long way from breaking through, not because he isn't talented but because the position he naturally fits difficult to give to a kid.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Does anyone think Kent and Wilson are or will be good enough for us or is this just a bump up the value policy?

Elessar

Does anyone think Kent and Wilson are or will be good enough for us or is this just a bump up the value policy?
Wilson will IMO be a bench player for us next season replacing Lallana/Sturridge/Origi.

Status
Not open for further replies.