• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Loan Watch: 2019/20

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Players currently out on loan:

Marko Grujić (Hertha)
Sheyi Ojo (Rangers)
Loris Karius (Besiktas)
Allan (Fluminense)
Kamil Grabara (Huddersfield Town)
Ben Woodburn (Oxford United)
Rhys Williams (Kidderminster Harriers)
Liam Millar (Kilmarnock)
Taiwo Awoniyi (Mainz)
Harry Wilson (Bournemouth)
Nathaniel Phillips (Stuttgart)
Anderson Arroyo (Mlada Boleslav)

Redopium

Grabara has signed new contract with Liverpool and gone out on loan to Huddersfield. Are they going to give him regular playing time since their first choice goalie has already left?
Delighted he signed a new contract and Huddersfield is a good move for him if he gets games.

Nikola

Admin
Delighted he signed a new contract and Huddersfield is a good move for him if he gets games.
If their defence is anything like last season's, he'll have his hands full, literally!

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Grabara's been given the #1 shirt at Huddersfield. Joel Coleman and Ryan Schofield are two other GK's on the list. Ben Hamer not given a number so far. Perhaps a sign that they plan to start the season with him in goal and then take it from there.

Sweeting

Another goal for Sheyi Ojo tonight. Right footed finish from the edge of the box - one of those occasions where he makes football look easy.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Early signs look like this could be the loan move he needed, like Kent last season.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Twitter has Woodburn going to Oxford. Hopefully he can stay healthy and dominate opposition at that level. But frankly he needs games. He's only 19...maybe 20? but he's played almost 0 meaningful minutes over the past 2 years at any level. Generally I hope he comes back with a nailed on position. Lack of pace and lack of a clearly defined role in a team are fairly decent sized hurdles he has to figure out and clear if he's to make it at the top level. Good luck to him.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Early signs look like this could be the loan move he needed, like Kent last season.
Didn't do Kent much good ( much like Wilson ). If anything it put him in weird position. Had a great season, which raised his value to a point it is hard for him to secure a permanent move , yet deemed not good enough for us.
If anything, Klopp has proved the opposite. Origi was sent out on loan, had an awful loan spell, yet secured his place in the team. At the same time, Kent, Wilson and Grujic who have proven themselves, and not only did well during their loan spells but excelled and succeeded beyond expectations, can't get a break.
I think Klopp knows exactly what kind of player he wants, and if he sees those core attributes in the player, he will work with him and make him the player he wants him to be. If not, loan him out until he can sell him. I don't really think he trusts other managers to mold players to what he wants.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Ben: "I spoke to Karl and he has done well with previous younger players in the past. Obviously I know Cam Brannagan, so I think it is a good fit for me in my career at this moment in time. I think it's a stepping stone that I need to push on. It's a great league, it's a tough league and I've just got to show what I can do in these games and hopefully show my quality."

Karl Robinson: "Ben is a talented lad who we are excited to bring into the building for the season. He has a lot of experience for his age at Liverpool and with the Welsh national team so we are absolutely delighted to bring in a player of his quality and are looking forward to being a part of his development. We'd like to extend our thanks to Jurgen Klopp, Julian and Ben's agent for trusting us and having the faith to continue his development at a League One football club."

Last edited:

Sweeting

There must be some faith in their new manager John Pemberton. He's been a youth coach for 20 years so perhaps we feel Williams is in good hands there.

Mystryman01

Its a half a season loan, potentially looking at seeing if he can dominate at that level, and then move up a level or two in the second half of the season
Main thing will be if he starts in the first 11 permanently for the duration of the loan, he will rack up around 20-25 games (more than if played U23 football)
And will probably be against some very physical players

Sweeting

Ben Woodburn starts for Oxford away at Sunderland.
Rhys Williams starts for Kidderminster against Leamington.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Delighted we're loaning top talents to other PL clubs. Gives them the opportunity to gain relevant experience and potentially allows them to take points off our rivals - anyone remember when Borini helped Sunderland draw against City on 16 April 2014 and then 3 days later scored the winner against Chelsea? More of that please.

Nikola

Admin
It seems odd that almost none of these youngsters we were thought to be selling before this summer have left on a permanant deal.
Club don't need the money from their sales at the moment and probably think they will get more should these loans prove successful.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
That's mainly us fans, always calculating too much money from potential sales in the who to buy thread, overrating our players... doesn't work like that in real life. We're using slightly what Chelsea are doing with these players. It will be about timing when we decide it's the best time to get that profit from player to player.

:)

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Club don't need the money from their sales at the moment and probably think they will get more should these loans prove successful.
Yeah, I suppose so. I just thought having some of them sold frees up some of that cash to be able to move quicker in the market next summer, if the club wants to. And, we're getting a pretty decent loan fee.