Loan Watch: 2019/20

Sweeting

Mid Season Update

Forgot about doing these so now is as good a time as any to catch up with our loanees...
Player NamePositionClubAppearancesMinutesClean SheetsConceded
Shamal GeorgeGKMarine---
Loris KariusGKBesiktas201,800629
Kamil GrabaraGKHuddersfield Town221,980435

Player NamePositionClubAppearancesMinutesGoalsAssists
Liam MillarLWKilmarnock201,16912
Rhys WilliamsCBKidderminster Harriers20-10
Anderson ArroyoLBMlada Boleslav0000
Taiwo AwoniyiCFMainz614600
AllanCMFluminense343,04201
Harry WilsonRWBournemouth1699860
Ben WoodburnAMOxford United1389215
Sheyi OjoLWRangers281,73557
Ovie EjariaCMReading201,67732
Nathaniel PhillipsCBVfB Stuttgart1167400
Marko GrujicCMHertha Berlin171,49532

redalways

TIA Regular
Liverpool have reached an agreement with Stuttgart for Nathaniel Phillips to return from his loan spell in January.

The centre-back has made 11 appearances in all competitions for the 2. Bundesliga side since linking up in the summer.

Phillips will come back to Merseyside at the beginning of next month and be eligible for Reds matches, starting with the FA Cup tie against Everton on January 5.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Interesting. I wonder if that is because of any news we've had regarding Matip's or Lovren's injuries?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
According to German media Nat could return to Stuttgart by the end of january.

Not sure how this could work.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Would that be because of the winter break in Bundesliga? With the break, he could come back for a month?

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
A lot of noise about Brewster joining Swans in January on loan. Would be good for him to get some games, see how he does in the championship. The coach is one who had Brewster at the U17 world cup, where Brewster was top scorer.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor

Sweeting

Nice move for him, I always think that players who drop into the lower leagues in England are missing a trick when they can go abroad, play infront of proper crowds, experience a new lifestyle, language and way of playing.

Not an option for everyone for a variety of reasons of course but I know if I was a not-quite-Premier-League-standard footballer then I'd be moving to teams all around the world.

Sweeting

Christie-Davies scored for Cercle Brugge in a friendly draw with Augsburg.

Sweeting

How good is he? I watched the first half vs Villa, thought he looked like an interesting player.
I doubt he can be a PL standard player but his physique is a major asset and he has shown good versatility. If he moves to a club in England I would expect him to go at League One level.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Brewsters debut was ok. He tried but struggled to assert himself.
Next up Harry Wilson for Bournemouth in their crucial game vs Watford.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
According to reports in Germany Nathaniel Phillips will re-join Stuttgart (and travel directly to their camp in Marbella) in the next 2 days.

The plans to wait until the end of the month changed after Stuttgart CB Holger Badstuber got injured in Marbella.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
He looks like he'll score a few for them and then all the lower prem teams will be after him next season, he's definitely got a lot of talent.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Kamil Grabara was stretchered off in the Hull vs Huddersfield match. He was diving to try and claim a cross, Schindler went for the same ball from ninety degrees on and they collided.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Kamil Grabara was stretchered off in the Hull vs Huddersfield match. He was diving to try and claim a cross, Schindler went for the same ball from ninety degrees on and they collided.
He was taken straight to hospital with no reports back yet.
Hope he's OK.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Huddersfield manager Cowley said: "We are obviously concerned about him (Kamil Grabara). It was a nasty one, a very nasty one."

"He was knocked unconscious for a period of time; I am not sure how long. He didn't know where he was when he came around."

Sweeting

Apparently Liverpool are going to be one of the clubs protesting about the new loan rules as they feel it adversely effects our youth development programme.

I can't remember which podcast I heard it on but they were saying that Liverpool see 23 years old as the end of being a "youth" player and that the loan rules only allowing 6 players loaned out over 21 would potentially mean we cannot develop players well enough to get them ready for our first team.

Liverpool want the limit to be raised to U23 players.

Liverpool currently have 8 players on loan who are over the limit - they are Nat Phillips, Harry Wilson, Marko Grujic, Ovie Ejaria, Sheyi Ojo, Loris Karius, Isaac Christie-Davies and Taiwo Awoniyi.

They also have Herbie Kane who will become an "over 21" next season.

Looking at next season and players Liverpool would potentially want to send on loan (apart from those listed above)... Caoimhin Kelleher, Kamil Grabara, Shamal George, Kai McKenzie-Lyle, Tony Gallacher, Pedro Chirivella and Joe Hardy would all become "over 21".

This means that in theory Liverpool would want to loan out as many as 15 "over 21s" but they will be limited to either 8 or 6 (depending on how the rules are introduced).

It is likely that Karius, Ejaria, Chirivella and George will leave on permanent deals or be released and no doubt good offers for Wilson, Grujic and Awoniyi will be considered but are not guaranteed to come through.

Kelleher, Phillips, Ojo, Kane, Grabara, McKenzie-Lyle, Gallacher and Hardy are a smattering of players with time left on their contract but no clubs making perm moves (Gallacher, Ojo, McKenzie-Lyle), players who maybe considered as potential for the first team (Kelleher, Phillips, Grabara, Kane) and will likely not be sold and recent signings (Hardy).

It looks likely that Liverpool will bump up close to the threshold of over 21 loanees and if that were to happen they will probably be forced to sell some of them for below market value in order to move them on.

The "worst" culprit of exploiting the loan market are famously Chelsea (and man City to a lesser extent).

Chelsea currently have the following players on loan who would be counted as "over 21" (or will be next season) and therefore capped to 6 under the new rules...

Nathan Baxter - GK - Ross County
Jamal Blackman - GK - Bristol Rovers
Baba Rahman - RB - Mallorca
Trevoh Chalobah - CB - Huddersfield
Jake Clarke-Salter - CB - Birmingham
Josh Grant - CB - Plymouth
Matt Miazga - CB - Reading
Richard Nartey - CB - Burton
Davide Zappacosta - RB - Roma
Tiemoue Bakayoko - DM - Monaco
Danny Drinkwater - DM - Aston Villa
Nathan - AM - Athletico Mineiro
Danilo Pantic - LW - Fehervar
Mario Pasalic - CM - Atalanta
Izzy Brown - CF - Luton
Kenedy - LW - Getafe
Victor Moses - RW - Inter
Charly Musonda - RW - Vitesse
Lucas Piazon - CF - Rio Ave
Ike Ugbo - CF - Roda

Manchester City have the below list...

Arijanet Muric - GK - Nottingham Forest
Partrick Roberts - RW - Middlesbrough
Aleix Garcia - CM- Mouscron
Ryotaro Meshino - AM - Hearts
Zack Staffan - GK - Dusseldorf
Philippe Sandler - CB - Anderlecht
Tosin Adarabioyo - CB - Blackburn
Thierry Ambrose - CF - Metz
Erik Palmer-Brown - CB - Vienna
Ernest Agyiri - CM - Paralimniou
Nahuel Ferraresi - CB - Porto
Marlos Moreno - LW - Portimonense
Lukas Nmecha - CF - Middlesbrough
Paulo Fernandes - AM - Perugia
Yangel Herrera - DM - Granada
Thomas Agyepong - LW - Beveren

You would imagine there would have to be a massive firesale there especially as they both have a number of players who will want football next season and could take up one of the six loan spots. Could be a really interesting change to the game.

Last edited: