Loan Watch: 2019/20

nikz200

Minus the injuries? He missed 12-18 months with a broken ankle.

That's why he's on loan, he needs to play football. We've seen with Chamberlain and Gomez (and even Ings) that it's tough to return to your previous level straight away after such an injury, probably even more so for a kid as young as Brewster. Gomez moved like Hyypia when he returned!

I'm not saying Brewster is nailed on to make it here, he was never on the level of Owen or Fowler in the youth, but he is worth hanging on to for a while longer. He doesn't just score goals, he works very hard and likes to get stuck in, and seems to have a very determined mindset. There's a lot to work with there.
Im trying to say as talented as he may be and he is a good young player, we already have people here comparing him to Timo Werner for some odd reason when it has nothing to do with that.

Im know he has been injured and yes he should get game time and development, but again he is 20 years old. This is not a case of lets just keep developing and sending the kid out on loan and one day he will be ok. Either he is good enough to at some point be a part of the plan, or he is being sized up for sale. Thats reality. And until Jurgen himself selects the kid regularly in the squad, thats what it is. Im sure he will succeed in his career as a footballer, being a top scorer for some team, but chances are it won't be with us.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Sturridge less the injuries? Yes please.
Sturridge less the injuries was technically twice as good as Owen and as fast as peak Owen. Rushford is a great person and a real good player but nowhere near what Sturridge was if injuries hadn't curtailed his capability and lessened his career. He could have been a Balon D'or contender.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Sturridge less the injuries? Yes please.
Sturridge less the injuries was technically twice as good as Owen and as fast as peak Owen. Rushford is a great person and a real good player but nowhere near what Sturridge was if injuries hadn't curtailed his capability and lessened his career. He could have been a Balon D'or contender.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Im know he has been injured and yes he should get game time and development, but again he is 20 years old. This is not a case of lets just keep developing and sending the kid out on loan and one day he will be ok.
No, it's not a case of that. He has been out on loan once and has played 12 games. So it's not even close to that.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Im trying to say as talented as he may be and he is a good young player, we already have people here comparing him to Timo Werner for some odd reason when it has nothing to do with that.

Im know he has been injured and yes he should get game time and development, but again he is 20 years old. This is not a case of lets just keep developing and sending the kid out on loan and one day he will be ok. Either he is good enough to at some point be a part of the plan, or he is being sized up for sale. Thats reality. And until Jurgen himself selects the kid regularly in the squad, thats what it is. Im sure he will succeed in his career as a footballer, being a top scorer for some team, but chances are it won't be with us.
If it weren't for the injury, he'd probably already have 25+ appearances for the first team.

nikz200

No, it's not a case of that. He has been out on loan once and has played 12 games. So it's not even close to that.
Yeah i get that, I'm talking about long term speculation. Im saying he has played decent right? If he comes back next season and Klopp plays him then ok, but I'm saying if he is sent out on loan again , then after a year another loan, then after that another loan. If that happens then what?

If it weren't for the injury, he'd probably already have 25+ appearances for the first team.
you do realise thats crazy, not even curtis Jones or harvey elliott have that many appearances ......

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Yeah i get that, I'm talking about long term speculation. Im saying he has played decent right? If he comes back next season and Klopp plays him then ok, but I'm saying if he is sent out on loan again , then after a year another loan, then after that another loan. If that happens then what?
Not sure how I'm supposed to answer that.

Again, he's played 12 games on loan, so we're light years away from your theoretical scenario.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

Klopp has said himself that Brewster is the Jewell in LFC's Academy,i'd like to think he can judge and see a player,the reason he's out onloan,apart from his ankle injury is also timing,i don't think we are loaning him to sell on,i think he'll be good enough,if he hadn't bust his ankle and carried on where he'd left off,i reckon he'd have gotten a good few first team appearences under his belt by now but right now,he's better off getting first team experience till the end of the season.

I wouldn't be suprised if he goes back out on loan next year either,with the way the transfer market is and seeming like not being a sellers market,our front 3 and Origi will stay the same,untill the market and finances sorts itself out (hopefully next summer) we can offload who we need to and bring Brewster back in a year more experienced.

Kopstar

★★★★★★

you do realise thats crazy, not even curtis Jones or harvey elliott have that many appearances ......
And before his injury he was way ahead of Jones and Elliott wasn't even here. You've clearly got a different view from me as to just how good he is.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Agree with everything except "missing out on Werner" we were clearly his choice of move. We didn't miss out we just didn't think adding a player of his attributes to the squad was worth what it would cost. Especially not in such uncertain times financially. Too much risk for what reward was on offer.
Yeah, I'm aware of that, attribute it to language barrier, I really didn't know what else to call it. Klopp did want him but couldn't get him in the end because of ongoing world crisis but it's not the end of the world for him (there's a pun here somewhere, I'm sure of it). I'd really be happy if he could turn Brewster into player Werner was for Leipzig, even if I wasn't Werner's biggest fan.

And I wish Liverpool always had one striker who is Sturridge minus the injuries, haha! For me, technically the most talented since Fowler, maybe even more talented than him and surely would have been England's most technically gifted had injuries not effectively stopped his career in 2015. Brewster doesn't come close to him in that department, which is no slight on young Rhian, not many do. In fact, Brewster reminds me more and more of Javier Hernandez when he played for Man United, only not as developed/experienced. Mobile poacher with fantastic acceleration and who can "guess" the movement of the ball and make sure it goes over the line (in a way, Sturridge is the only Liverpool striker in the last ten years who had that instinct).

Maybe the current crisis will force Klopp's hand, @jgw_geneseo, but that Inglethorpe's quote always sticks with me, the one about how players in great majority of cases need to have a certain amount of games under their belt in order to feature for a club of Liverpool's size and ambitions. He was talking about 100+ games and I think Brewster is the kind of player who needs two or three good seasons out on loan in order to be primed for a spot in Liverpool side. Had it not been for injuries, who knows, he might have followed Alexander-Arnold to first team (though not as a starter). I agree with @Kopstar, Brewster was the one who was talked about the most alongside Alexander-Arnold some two or three years ago.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Yeah, I'm aware of that, attribute it to language barrier, I really didn't know what else to call it. Klopp did want him but couldn't get him in the end because of ongoing world crisis but it's not the end of the world for him (there's a pun here somewhere, I'm sure of it). I'd really be happy if he could turn Brewster into player Werner was for Leipzig, even if I wasn't Werner's biggest fan.

And I wish Liverpool always had one striker who is Sturridge minus the injuries, haha! For me, technically the most talented since Fowler, maybe even more talented than him and surely would have been England's most technically gifted had injuries not effectively stopped his career in 2015. Brewster doesn't come close to him in that department, which is no slight on young Rhian, not many do. In fact, Brewster reminds me more and more of Javier Hernandez when he played for Man United, only not as developed/experienced. Mobile poacher with fantastic acceleration and who can "guess" the movement of the ball and make sure it goes over the line (in a way, Sturridge is the only Liverpool striker in the last ten years who had that instinct).

Maybe the current crisis will force Klopp's hand, @jgw_geneseo, but that Inglethorpe's quote always sticks with me, the one about how players in great majority of cases need to have a certain amount of games under their belt in order to feature for a club of Liverpool's size and ambitions. He was talking about 100+ games and I think Brewster is the kind of player who needs two or three good seasons out on loan in order to be primed for a spot in Liverpool side. Had it not been for injuries, who knows, he might have followed Alexander-Arnold to first team (though not as a starter). I agree with @Kopstar, Brewster was the one who was talked about the most alongside Alexander-Arnold some two or three years ago.
All true, but to piss on the fire a bit, he's said similar for Woodburn (the original chosen one from the bunch lol), Wilson, maybe others. He certainly talked Brewster up and had slight charm offensive before he signed his new contract, not sure how much after (or when injury occurred in relation to contact- he may have talked after he signed, i simply don't remember).

But he was glowing about Woodburn when he was 16. I think he'd take those words back if he could could, hopefully we aren't saying same about Brewster.

For the record, I agree with Javier Hernandez comp. We could do with one of those off the bench.

Sweeting

Woodburn has started for Oxford away at Portsmouth in the League One Playoff Semi Finals.

1-1 at half time, Woodburn has been quiet but former U23 player Cameron Brannagan has been pretty good for Oxford including picking up an assist for Marcus Browne's equaliser.

Cam Brannagan reminds me a lot of Gini Wijnaldum the way he plays.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Just tuned in and unfortunately Ben was brought off.

Happy for Cam though, hope to see him in leagues above. He was a really tidy little player, willing to combine and work.

Sweeting

Just tuned in and unfortunately Ben was brought off.

Happy for Cam though, hope to see him in leagues above. He was a really tidy little player, willing to combine and work.
Brannagan looks too good for this level. He's never going to be the kind of player who takes over a game himself but he's really intelligent, recycled possession well. He's even strong and good in the tackle now as well.

He easily looks a Premier League midfielder in the near future. Somewhere like Norwich would be great for him as his next step.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Anyone know the situation with Wilson, last couple of games on the bench and yet everytime I've watched Bournemouth he seems the most dangerous attacker.

Sweeting

League Playoff Semi Final 2nd leg starts at 5. Oxford have Woodburn who could potentially start and ex Liverpool midfielder Cameron Brannagan who was excellent in the first leg (although he did get an injury so not sure if he will play)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Woodburn and Brannagan both scored in the penalty shootout for Oxford as they beat Portsmouth on penalties (5-4).
Woodburn apparently took and scored their first for them (pressure) and Brannagan took the 5th penalty that would win them the game if he scored it (massive pressure) and he did! Mentality monsters!

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Yeah good penalty by Woodburn to be fair they were all excellent bar the one missed. If they go up it would be good to see another season there.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Yeah good penalty by Woodburn to be fair they were all excellent bar the one missed. If they go up it would be good to see another season there.
What was he like overall? Not that I expect him to make it at Liverpool but I'd still love it if he could carve out a Premier League career for himself. You look at some players at Norwich or Bournemouth and think "if they can do it, so can he".

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
What was he like overall? Not that I expect him to make it at Liverpool but I'd still love it if he could carve out a Premier League career for himself. You look at some players at Norwich or Bournemouth and think "if they can do it, so can he".
His first touch was the penalty quick, he wasn’t too bad on Friday night but he did drift in and out, did get into some dangerous positions.

I expect he may play the final.

Last edited: