Loris Karius (GK) Bayer Leverkusen / Besiktas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red over the water

All things being equal, I’d prefer Karius to Mignolet as Alisson’s back up. However, all things aren’t equal. Karius is at a very low ebb and needs to play and rebuild. If we force the issue and insist he stays we are well within our rights to do so, but it doesn’t seem the right option for either party. He needs a fresh start and a chance to play. We need a steady goalkeeper we can count on if needed, and based on how Karius came back from the final I.e. early preseason form, he hasn’t shown us that he’s there yet.

Mignolet isn’t perfect by any means, but most of the case for the prosecution against him was when he was first choice. As a back up I’ve no problem with him. If he chooses to move on in the next window or two in order to play more regularly, fine, line up a deal, and give us a chance to sort out another back up, as Grabara and Kelleher are still a bit young.

On the other hand, Mignolet might stick around. Presumably it will be more palatable for him to be a back up to a world class goalkeeper. And having assessed his options this summer, unless I’m mistaken, there wasn’t exactly a stampede for his services, so he may adjust to his new reality as a no.2 at an elite club, rather than first choice lower down.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Id prefer Karius over Ming as back up but unfortunately I think he needs to leave and start all over again.
Every time he plays for us the scrutiny over everything he did or didnt do would be too much.
The ironic cheers when he catches a ball wont help.
He needs a fresh start and good luck to him.

Rozes99

Wish him the best but definitely the right thing for both him.and the club. Migs to stay as back up I'm ok with. Better shot stopper them Karius but worse at distribution IMHO

hoosierred

Alisson is the starter for the next decade, so who really cares who the backup is? Migs or one of the kids will get work in the domestic cups and in case of emergency.

I like Karius and wish him well, but I've always thought Migs, while limited in many respects as a starter, was an excellent and reliable backup (granted I mostly thought that while he was starting games, but still...)

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Wish him the best but definitely the right thing for both him.and the club. Migs to stay as back up I'm ok with. Better shot stopper them Karius but worse at distribution IMHO

Mignolet is fine so long as he doesn’t get time to think which is why he is a decent reflex shot stopper. Unfortunately for Mignolet a lot of a top level goalkeeper’s game involves thinking. Sounds harsh I know but it has actually been shown to be true in Mignolet’s case on too many occasions.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Karius needs a fresh start out of the spotlight. If we manage to get the best part of £10m then you're gotta salute Edwards once again.

As for keeping Migs, he's not a bad 'keeper and if you think about it there aren't many teams that have a no 2 as good as Migs.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
LK1. Is he any relation to R2D2, CP3O or K9 ...... ? ;-)

Seriously, I really like the kid and wish him all the very best for the future wherever that future lies. Be happy lad ...... don’t let the buggers get you down. In a couple of years you could be having the last laugh and leaving everyone wondering what all the fuss was about in 2018. Go for it ......

Loris Karius, YNWA! :well done:

Redopium

Karius needs a fresh start out of the spotlight. If we manage to get the best part of £10m then you're gotta salute Edwards once again.

As for keeping Migs, he's not a bad 'keeper and if you think about it there aren't many teams that have a no 2 as good as Migs.
Hard to believe a keeper we had as no1 for the last few years is not even wanted by newly promoted teams. lol.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Hard to believe a keeper we had as no1 for the last few years is not even wanted by newly promoted teams. lol.

its not actually funny.

id wager they would have grabbed him at almost any other point in his career here apart from the very shaky start and just after the CL final.

lets not forget, the poor guy was taken out by Ramos whos still laughing about the matter.

hoping LK can turn all this on its head, play for Germany one day in his career and have complete redemption.

that he isnt as good as AB is not a crime.

one of my other hopes is one day he's on a football field for his club or country VS a team that contains a certain destestable spanish defender, i hope there's a high ball into the box, i hope he goes up for a challenge with said defender, and catches(not punches) the ball cleanly, using his knee as his first defence as all keepers are taught, quite where that knee lands.....well....ill let you guys wish for what you want, in the defenders manhood is my choice though.

i would probably have the photo immediately afterwards as my avatar. i can actually picture it.

Certain times when the players commit grave mistakes which lead to catastrophic results, certain players improve themselves, get hungry(hungry. Not horny as per the eloquent words of LVG) and prove them in next possible opportunity. I thought Karius would improve greatly from this setback. But he seems to be broken physiologically.
Hope he does better in Turkey. He is still young, so hope he gets another shot somewhere in a big club.
With regards to the change in style when Mignolet ia playing - it's going to be less than 10 games in the season, i assume. And even in those games, he will play with our second string teams. Obviously we need to adjust accordingly. But early rounds of FA/League cup against Tier 3/4 opponents should be ok for Mignolet to handle. He is not that bad.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Sorry to see him go, as I liked him as our keeper,
I thought he was growing in confidence,
then the champs league final happened.

But its probably best for both parties if he leaves,
hopefully he rebuilds his career and go goes onto be a top class goalkeeper.
and 1 day smashes Ramos in the chops during a challenge for a high ball!

anyway, good luck Loris.

Redopium

its not actually funny.

id wager they would have grabbed him at almost any other point in his career here apart from the very shaky start and just after the CL final.

lets not forget, the poor guy was taken out by Ramos whos still laughing about the matter.

hoping LK can turn all this on its head, play for Germany one day in his career and have complete redemption.

that he isnt as good as AB is not a crime.

one of my other hopes is one day he's on a football field for his club or country VS a team that contains a certain destestable spanish defender, i hope there's a high ball into the box, i hope he goes up for a challenge with said defender, and catches(not punches) the ball cleanly, using his knee as his first defence as all keepers are taught, quite where that knee lands.....well....ill let you guys wish for what you want, in the defenders manhood is my choice though.

i would probably have the photo immediately afterwards as my avatar. i can actually picture it.
Please read my post again, you got it wrong.

Danny_

I never rated him, not before the CL and the CL just confirmed his frailties for me. It's possible that he could develop into a good keeper in the future but he was thrown in too early for us. He should have remained no.2 if it wasn't for Mignolet. In any case, I think this move is the best for both parties if he has found another club. Wish him all the best in the future

I would prefer Mignolet to Karius to be honest..Having sold Ward (would have loved him to stay) having Mignolet as backup is ideal..

bazza66

TIA Youth Team

That's an appalling lack of ambition there, redbj: I would have wished for the throat!

Status
Not open for further replies.