Lucas Leiva (CB/DM) Lazio

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by StrongINTheAir, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poor Scouser Tommy

Poor Scouser Tommy Sweet as a nut.

A good point.

Throughout his time in Liverpool, it's unlikely that Lucas had PSG approach him with an offer to replace Matuidi.

On the other hand, he's never lashed out in response to the oftentimes huge, and occasionally unfair amount of criticism he's faced.

In terms of skill, he's no Mascherano, that's a given. But, Masch is still held in high esteem by most of us, despite the fact that he forced his way out of LFC.

That being said, what should we value more: skill, or loyalty?

2. gr_sounder

gr_sounder Always Watching

You mean the posts from JAN 11, 2017?
    If those posts (over 4 months old) are what have you riled up even now, then you need to lean to let things go.

I've read them... and guess what... they are no big deal.
    If you believe them to be the rantings of a lunatic or idiot then fine... ignore them... or better yet... make a comment to set the record straight, and then ignore them.

All I did was say that maybe this thread - which is in the transfer forums - should have discussion about transfers and stuff about his general play should be in the Lucas thread. For you to suggest there is a valid reason to continue your line based on posts 8 pages and 4 months ago is a window into your personality.

3. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

@gr_sounder post, valid one, about staying on thread topic, which thread could we continue analysis on squad improvement, i am interested in the 10, are they from the list or total from the current squad?

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  4. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Admin

If I could boot @KCollins for derailing every thread with talk of Lucas, you'd be following him out of the door, mate.

Maybe you should read the rules. Specifically this one:

So consider this a warning. If I see you asking for other posters to be banned again, you'll cop one yourself.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  5. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

In this modern era, loyalty counts very little on both ends, be it club to players or players to club. It also doesn't help when we don't have local lads like Gerrard and co breaking into first team and become a fixture for us. Therefore I value what they could bring to the table, their skills first. As for loyalty, as long as they don't move to United and play their heart out in every game they featured for us, I am fine with it. So yeah skills, hardworking and anti-United.

6. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

People still not sure how UEFA squad rules work? SMH

redfanman and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  7. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

lol sorry if I botched it up master Obi-Wan.

redfanman likes this.
  8. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

These are not the home-grown players you're looking for.

redfanman and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  9. Anfield rd Dreamer

Typical lawyer speak; .....so what I told you was true.... from a certain point of view!

redfanman likes this.
  10. Irishanfield

Irishanfield Well-Known Member

All true Eddie but I suppose I grew up pre premier league and I still have an idealistic view. I've never had a problem with players wanting to go abroad to try something new like keegan and rushie but just can't don't like to see players get the level of personal abuse that some people throw his way. I think we all would agree that he isn't good enough for where are but the club has continously blocked transfers after probably looking to sell him and he has never complained and yet everyone supports alonso over Rafael trying to sell him.
    The reality is lucas should have probably left 2 or 3 seasons ago but the club blocked his moves and he has never complained and that's why I respect the guy

11. Poor Scouser Tommy

Poor Scouser Tommy Sweet as a nut.

Earlier, I was thinking about the difference it would've made if we had a handful of extremely talented footballing mercenaries on our hands this season, particularly in those games during which we seemed bereft of creativity and inspiration. Players who weren't necessarily driven by a passion for the LFC jersey, but who would fight tooth-and-nail to win.

In the end, their hypothetical contributions would still benefit the club, regardless of whether Liverpool was their favourite club during their boyhood years or not.

I hadn't considered the anti-United angle, but yes, that would be valued highly! :well done:

lfc.eddie likes this.
  12. lfc.eddie

I think there are many of us grew up before Premier League. Started my addiction right at the tail-end of Paisley era. But we have to come to terms with what modern day football gives us. When I first joined up here, I was as idealistic as you. Thanks to the combinations of oligarchs and American investors, my view changed and I had to accept the reality of football as it is today.

redfanman and Irishanfield like this.
  13. KCollins

KCollins Active Member

Loyalty died when money took over the game. Hate when people mention players from years ago.."you wouldn't have seen (insert pre PL era player) act like that". If money was around in them days they would be no different.

Regards "Lucas and loyalty"...he's been in the shop window every summer and I don't think we ever accepted a bid so the suitors weren't prepared to pay the circa 5 million pound fee, and as a result Lucas never had a decision to make. He's unbelievably amassed 340 games for us so he could never have a complaint about lack of game time. We have done outrageously well by him. I'd be pinching myself if I was him and repeating in my head.."is this really happening?...I am playing for Liverpool". The fella has won the lottery playing for us.

14. lfc.eddie

You mean players back then don't make more money than factory workers or port workers?

Alright Now and redfanman like this.
  15. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

God where to start on this crock of shit of a post.

Loyalty is never dead that's why most of us still support Liverpool, a team to bring you an early grave and stress levels of biblical proportions, despite not really a sniff bar the odd flashing off the knickers of a trophy for 20+ years.. Yes Loyalty. See Stevie.. See Kenny etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Alright Now likes this.
  16. lfc.eddie

We're talking about players to club and club to players loyalty, not fans..... maybe follow the trail before snapping at others.

17. KCollins

KCollins Active Member

I'd get rid of that way of thinking mate. Look at Torres, never gave Kenny a chance. Players follow the dough. Enjoy them while they are here. The only loyal ones are us the fans.

18. KCollins

KCollins Active Member

I mean super duper head turning money.

19. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Yes, 340 games because we automatically play anyone at the club,.

20. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Nikola to the airport. Admin

That's not true. People talk shite about other players all the time. For example...

On Daniel Sturridge:
    On Nathaniel Clyne:
    On Mamadou Sakho:
    Ahem. And I didn't even have to look particularly hard to scrape those comments off the floor. So, next time you want to go off on a crusade about why your superfanness is superior to the support everyone else gives, take a minute and remember the glass house in which you live before hurling that stone.

21. Irishanfield

Fuck
    Must remember not to say anything bad about errrr anybody or anything

lfc.eddie likes this.
  22. Anfield rd Dreamer

Probably just safer to then not hypocritically complain about people then saying something "bad" when you don't agree with it.

Scott Jones, ubermick and lfc.eddie like this.
  23. tesh

tesh TIA New Signing

Quite. Any opinion you spout can and will be used against you in this here court of kangaroos.

24. ubermick

Nobody on here is saying you can't say anything negative. The issue arises when some are utter hypocrites about it, complaining about others not being up to their standard of support while at the same time having a moan about the players THEY don't happen to like.

Drives me feckin' mad.

Maria, Scott Jones, redfanman and 3 others like this.
  25. prest

prest Banned Users

It's seemed likely he'd leave for the last 5 summers. Still not convinced he'll leave despite the end of season tributes. He can fill out a role and play 20+ matches for us next season. Better player on the ball when we're controlling possession than either of our younger number 6 players and dominant in the air so a good front door CB. It's easy to say we can find better players but the fact that he's remained here for 10 years and played in many important matches suggests that may not be true. An endless parade of players have come and gone while he's remained, and most have been much less talented and hard working. Given that he seems likely to become a coach of some sort with us once he's done playing, I can see a hybrid role for him playing and coaching alongside Gerrard. Makes more sense than selling for less than his true value to the squad. I think this time the decision is completely in his hands. Klopp seems more than happy to keep him in the squad.

26. Irishanfield

lol no ment you have a memory of an elephant if you can remember where he posted his comments. it was more in jest than anything else

27. ubermick

The search function is a wonderful thing - but made easier by seeing comments like that dotted about regularly.

All that's not to say that Lucas, in his time here, hasn't had to put up with an awful amount of shite from people. (Well, he'd have to put up with it if he was the sort to spend time on message boards, I suppose.) It's one thing being critical of his form, but some of the personal attacks in past years were atrocious. I think at this point, he's finally been widely appreciated as a good footballer and a great servant to the club, who's been unfortunately limited somewhat by that knee injury just as he was really starting to peak. Yes, there are some who refuse to see that still, and will take their criticism too far. But similarly there are some who take any criticism out of context, and take anything as a personal attack, lumping anything but a fantastically positive view as being the absolute opposite.

28. Anfield rd Dreamer

Better player on the ball than Henderson or Can? I'd say that's as blatant an inaccuracy as you can get!

29. prest

prest Banned Users

Not really. I didn't say more creative or more commanding. He's better in a system that requires sustained possession as he very rarely gives the ball away. Henderson is just about as good but he thrives more when we move the ball quickly. Can is inferior to both by quite a margin in terms of decision-making on the ball and passing accuracy. He has many other talents but responsible passing and smart use of the ball are typically not currently among them. Which is fine, he doesn't have to excel in those as much if he's played as an 8. As a 6 though, it's extremely important.

30. Anfield rd Dreamer

Ahh I see you go off passing accuracy stats to determine how good a passer Lucas is don't you? It's easy to have high accuracy if you never pass in an adventurous way.

Jase likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.