• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Luis Alberto Romero (AM) - Sevilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
The Anfield club have also made an offer for Sevilla's highly-rated attacking midfielder, Luis Alberto, although that transfer is complicated by his current loan deal with Barcelona. The 20-year-old is on a season-long loan with Barcelona's B team and the Spanish champions have an option to make his move permanent before the end of June. That has not deterred Liverpool from submitting a bid to Sevilla and putting themselves in prime position to sign Alberto should a move to Barcelona fail to materialise.
www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/30/liverpool-daniel-sturridge-injury

Luis Alberto is an attacking midfielder who has first division experience with Sevilla FC. He has a goalscoring instinct and reads the game to perfection, making him a very effective provider of assists. Luis Alberto can also play in any of the more advanced positions, especially as a ‘false centre forward’.
www.fcbarcelona.com/football/barca-b/squad-barca-b/staff/players/luis-alberto

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Nikola13 said:
Liverpool Echo also reported it but they all state that Barcelona are in the driving seat. And this lads looks bloody good, so I guess they won't pass on that opportunity.
It'll be interesting to see what they do. They have the 4 million euro option to buy him, but they also don't have a place for him on their team. They are already stocked with AM's and forwards.

An interesting theory I read on on a Barca forum is that they might buy him just to resell him at a higher price. It'll also be interesting to see how much Sevilla do end up selling him for if Barca refuse their buy option. His contract is until 2015 so even if Barca pass on it, they might try holding onto him if they don't receive a fairly significant (relative to 4 million euro's) bid.

As with all young players there is always the risk that they won't develop as hoped. It'll be interesting to see how much we really are willing to gamble on him - 4 million euro's would be a simple decision, but if they start asking for 7-8 million euro's then it would probably give us plenty of reason to pause.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
cardiffpete said:
I would pretty much think that if LFC trigger Luis Alberto's buy-out, then he's basically ours. Barca have 6~7 players with potential already in thier own youth ...so why pay €5m to secure yet another one in the maybe category.
Well this makes me feel silly, my last two paragraphs are rather irrelevant. I hadn't realized it was a buy out clause, I assumed it was just an option to buy written into the loan agreement.

jabu

TIA New Signing
fingers crossed june 15 is deadline for barca to make move permenent, word is we hve agreed fee and its up to barca now

SF Red

TIA Regular
From what I can tell (as I have never seen him play and only read the varying reports on him), it is an odd one. He is, realistically, too old (or good) for the reserves and not ready for first team starting spot. How may players like this will we have for the front 4? Suso, Sterling, Ibe, Shelvey, Borini. He won't get much game time at all in the first team if he comes and he won't get much useful time in the reserves.

He is coming at a time in his career that clubs have a very difficult time developing players in England. Ideally, this would be a time to loan him to a championship or lower PL club. Odd time for him to join us if he is.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
TFC said:
Well this makes me feel silly, my last two paragraphs are rather irrelevant. I hadn't realized it was a buy out clause, I assumed it was just an option to buy written into the loan agreement.
Nothing about ins-and-outs of the contract, and know nothing about the player ...bar that he look classy enough on youtube.

It's been mentioned that we've been monitoring since March, and it's a hefty buy-out for Barca to exercise ...so would imagine that if we offer good money to Sevilla, that he'll come, no problem.

Very difficult to see him instantly adding to first team though. There is a touch of instantly-recognisable class (or at least the very clear potential of class) about him ...but maybe more one for the future. Not that much of a hefty fee for us either, and Aspas is also a huge fee for Celta (especially for a home-grown player) and yet it's almost peanuts for us. Would be a gamble, but also a signal of intent - in assembling a very impressive range of highly-gifted, young and very versatile attacking talents for LFC ...to aid us either now or else or in a year-or-two.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
SF Red said:
From what I can tell (as I have never seen him play and only read the varying reports on him), it is an odd one. He is, realistically, too old (or good) for the reserves and not ready for first team starting spot. How may players like this will we have for the front 4? Suso, Sterling, Ibe, Shelvey, Borini. He won't get much game time at all in the first team if he comes and he won't get much useful time in the reserves.

He is coming at a time in his career that clubs have a very difficult time developing players in England. Ideally, this would be a time to loan him to a championship or lower PL club. Odd time for him to join us if he is.
We also have Coutinho, who is the same age and has been a revelation, he was probably one of the best footballers in the league and our best player since he signed.

Shelvey is also the same age and would have gotten plenty of game time had he played well, but his form nosedived.

It's about quality, not age. If we're seriously looking at him our scouts probably rate him more highly than the other players you've mentioned. If he's good, with his supposed versatility, he'll play plenty imo.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
SF Red said:

As much as it pains me to say this, because in 3-4 years I think he's going to be a fantastic first team player for someone, I think it might be a somewhat direct of a replacement for Shelvey.

Pretty much everything I've read/seen about his game reminds me of Shelvey. Both players seem to tick all the same boxes to me.

Very young versatile midfielder. Good passing range. Very good shooting range with an eye for the net and scoring. Has also adapted to playing as a wide forward as well. (Shelvey at Blackpool I believe you told me had success as a wide forward)

The thought might be that he's a bit more advanced (not sure if its true, I'm just making an assumption) and if the rumors are true (we are willing to sell Shelvey for 6-7mp+) then it might actually add a little to the kitty.

(Just to clarify this is complete guess work on my part)

Much like Shelvey, someone who won't be a starting player for a couple of years, but might be able to contribute a bit more now if we find ourselves needing him to. In that goal scoring midfield role that Rodgers has described.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
I think you could be right and is what I was thinking, that Shelvey could well be turfed for this fella if we get him, which is some way away from coming to pass yet with a few complications to get through first

We need first teamers but if Rodgers wants to shake things up its his call though would prefer Jonjo to go out on loan for a season. As an England u21 regular with a senior cap, value wise there ought to be potential for something better than the 3m-7m range taking in to account the British player tax, but right now because he's not playing much and has kinda blown when he has in the last 12 months, that's all we may be able to get and if the manager has had enough of him and reckons he's overrated and not half as talented as he thinks he is, guess its gonna be his prerogative to bin him off. By all accounts this fella is rated at Barca but is probably not going to threaten their first team any time soon for obvious reasons

Perhaps a younger version of the Luis Garcia situation when Rafa bought him. Good but not really gonna be a way to fit him in over there but in time would be easier for us to find room for him

We do need to be dealing with the first team as well though mind so this is a interesting option but not a absolute priority for fund allocation. But does have a degree of interest, nice now we we are going back to looking at la Liga options again at any rate.

SF Red

TIA Regular
I'm glad we are looking at La Liga options.

I was assuming Shelvey was already leaving (not evident in my post however).

So for the front 4, we would have Sturridge, Coutinho, Suarez?, Sterling, Borini, Aspas, Henderson/Allen?, Suso. We also must be looking at one more player to replace Downing in the starting 11. I hope that is not Aspas, but maybe the scouts think he is ready. If Suarez leaves, there must be a plan for a starting 11 player.

You could even include Henderson and Allen in the "almost ready" category with Suso, Sterling, and Borini although clearly those 2 are more advanced and could play further back ("almost ready"- not first 11 players but too good for reserve football)..

I just feel that is a lot of almost ready players for a club not in Europe, especially if we are also looking at Atsu.

Maybe they are planning on sending Suso on loan or selling Borini (to be replaced by Aspas).

Just throwing some ideas out there.

Reactions: TFC

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
How does the Segunda compare to the Championship in terms of quality? Those are impressive numbers he put up there, and he could be one to actually compete for a starting place.

I'm not going to rule that out just because he can't break into Barcelona's first team.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Yeah, this is an odd one to me too. He is playing at Barcelona B team level, playing in Segunda, Championship level in Spain. I know Rodgers like those technical players and I know we love to follow the footsteps of how Arsenal construct their team, but again Arsenal did not construct their team like this when they are fighting back to the top. They are already at top level with a bunch of senior core world class players in their ranks when they started doing so.

A lot of wet dreams coming off from the youtube video, and we all know how good it is to use youtube to judge a player. I certainly hope we don't become overly obsessed with buying young and having a chance to earn money back in return in years to come. That would make us more like a midtable selling club, rather than a contender.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
SF Red said:
I'm glad we are looking at La Liga options.

I was assuming Shelvey was already leaving (not evident in my post however).

So for the front 4, we would have Sturridge, Coutinho, Suarez?, Sterling, Borini, Aspas, Henderson/Allen?, Suso. We also must be looking at one more player to replace Downing in the starting 11. I hope that is not Aspas, but maybe the scouts think he is ready. If Suarez leaves, there must be a plan for a starting 11 player.

You could even include Henderson and Allen in the "almost ready" category with Suso, Sterling, and Borini although clearly those 2 are more advanced and could play further back ("almost ready"- not first 11 players but too good for reserve football)..

I just feel that is a lot of almost ready players for a club not in Europe, especially if we are also looking at Atsu.

Maybe they are planning on sending Suso on loan or selling Borini (to be replaced by Aspas).

Just throwing some ideas out there.
My personal theory on this is that Aspas will be a replacement for Downing, Atsu will replacement Assaidi, Alberto will replace Shelvey - basically 3 upgrades (not sure if Alberto would be an upgrade on Shelvey but working under that assumption) that should cost us very little. Now even with Downing on the side this year, we had no one else that could play on the right side barring Suso, who like you said is probably not ready - so someone needs to play there and hopefully ahead of Aspas.

Working under the assumption that Suarez is staying (assuming that Rodgers worked under that assumption) it would seem that as long as we sign one starting quality player for our front 4, we should be playing someone of high quality across all the positions. If we sign a RF then Suarez can play on the left, Coutinho at AM. If we sign an AM, then Coutinho can play on the left and Suarez on the right. If we sign a LF then Suarez can play on the right and Coutinho can play at AM. That way we'd have both Borini (left) or Aspas (right) on the bench with the ability to come on and impact the game if needed. Essentially, given the versatility of both Coutinho and Suarez we could sign anything (other than striker) in the attack 4, and that would give us serious quality across all 4 positions in the starting lineup.

Suso I do think will go out on loan, and I think thats probably for the best. As for everyone else (Aspas, Borini, Sterling, Alberto, Hendo, Allen, Atsu) for better or worse will probably be battling it out in training for pitch time and starting a lot of cup matches. Now that I've typed it out I think we might end up selling more (Henderson?) than just Shelvey.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
lfc.eddie said:
Yeah, this is an odd one to me too. He is playing at Barcelona B team level, playing in Segunda, Championship level in Spain. I know Rodgers like those technical players and I know we love to follow the footsteps of how Arsenal construct their team, but again Arsenal did not construct their team like this when they are fighting back to the top. They are already at top level with a bunch of senior core world class players in their ranks when they started doing so.

A lot of wet dreams coming off from the youtube video, and we all know how good it is to use youtube to judge a player. I certainly hope we don't become overly obsessed with buying young and having a chance to earn money back in return in years to come. That would make us more like a midtable selling club, rather than a contender.
Unless you have that Monaco money, every purchase can't be a top player either mate.

Edit: The only two purchases we have actually made so far this window were a 32 and 25 year old ;)
Edit: Nevermind, Aspas hasn't been confirmed so its only a 32 year old.

SF Red

TIA Regular
TFC said:
Now that I've typed it out I think we might end up selling more (Henderson?) than just Shelvey.
I would be disappointed with that. I think that Henderson could be used to help take care of one of our major issues - keeping leads against bigger clubs. If we have a lead and one of the forward players is tired, IMO Henderson is the ideal person in our squad to come on because of his energy and persistent running. I think there are super subs that come on to score to win you matches, but just as important are versatile players who can come on and help keep leads.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
TFC said:
Unless you have that Monaco money, every purchase can't be a top player either mate.
Not asking for every single purchase to be a top player though. We seemed happy to go about our business buying them very young, and like SF Red mentioned, we have shit loads of them in our first team squad, not to mention those that are coming up from youth and reserves.

You mentioned above that Suso best to be sent out on loan, but is this fella much, much better than Suso? After all he is playing in a league lower than him (albeit different country). Is he really ready for the first team? That is my concern.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
SF Red said:
I would be disappointed with that. I think that Henderson could be used to help take care of one of our major issues - keeping leads against bigger clubs. If we have a lead and one of the forward players is tired, IMO Henderson is the ideal person in our squad to come on because of his energy and persistent running. I think there are super subs that come on to score to win you matches, but just as important are versatile players who can come on and help keep leads.
I agree completely. I feel like him, Shelvey and Allen all are going to be brilliant players in the future and I'd hate to lose any of them - but out of the three I'd hate to lose Hendo the most.

Lucky for us I'm just talking out of my ass :)

TFC

TIA Squad Member
lfc.eddie said:
Not asking for every single purchase to be a top player though. We seemed happy to go about our business buying them very young, and like SF Red mentioned, we have shit loads of them in our first team squad, not to mention those that are coming up from youth and reserves.

You mentioned above that Suso best to be sent out on loan, but is this fella much, much better than Suso? After all he is playing in a league lower than him (albeit different country). Is he really ready for the first team? That is my concern.
Be damned if I know...

I don't think this signing will have any bearing on Suso's loan. I just personally feel like Suso could do with getting some games under his belt (maybe a half season loan or something... I'm no expert so maybe he shouldn't be loaned at all) and he wouldn't be getting more than a handful here.

I can't tell you if Alberto is ready for the first team. All depends on how much faith you have in the scouts I guess. Rodgers might be planning on sending Alberto on loan for all I know.

football.tiger

TIA Squad Member
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but he nutmegs Khedira and is then fouled by Pepe in that clip...

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
SF Red said:
energy and persistent running, priceless ?? Shouldnt be the case mate. Crack the whip if necessary but anyone could do this role more or less.

SF Red

TIA Regular
WellRedKev said:
energy and persistent running, priceless ?? Shouldnt be the case mate. Crack the whip if necessary but anyone could do this role more or less.
Who else in our squad does this as well or better than Henderson?

Edit. I didn't say "priceless," you did.
He also makes runs, has some goals and assists, and can cover multiple positions.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
SF Red said:
Who else in our squad does this as well or better than Henderson?

Edit. I didn't say "priceless," you did.
He also makes runs, has some goals and assists, and can cover multiple positions.
I didnt say you called it priceless. But the fact you think he's indespensibile kinda translates that. Closing down the ball is now a standout trait in a midfielder?

He is a player with limited ability in my opinion. neither has he the tecnhical ability or the intelligence to play in that AMC role. Plus he's actually a passenger when he's played out wide. so those multiple positions you mention are really anywhere in the central midfield, being a midfielder i was half expecting that. His energy and commitment is world class, his ability is far from it, so i wouldnt be gutted to see him replaced.

We need upgrades in most positions to realistically challenge and if you think closing down players is enough to warrant a spot in the squad then there will be pleny more seasons of 6th at best.

SF Red

TIA Regular
WellRedKev said:
I didnt say you called it priceless. But the fact you think he's indespensibile kinda translates that. Closing down the ball is now a standout trait in a midfielder?

He is a player with limited ability in my opinion. neither has he the tecnhical ability or the intelligence to play in that AMC role. Plus he's actually a passenger when he's played out wide. so those multiple positions you mention are really anywhere in the central midfield, being a midfielder i was half expecting that. His energy and commitment is world class, his ability is far from it, so i wouldnt be gutted to see him replaced.

We need upgrades in most positions to realistically challenge and if you think closing down players is enough to warrant a spot in the squad then there will be pleny more seasons of 6th at best.
I clearly think he has quite a bit more technical ability. I think that the one trait I mentioned is something no one else in our squad can do right now. He also has other traits which I mentioned above. He can cover both wide midfield spots as well as the 2 advanced CM (not DM) if nec.

I agree that we need replacements in multiple positions, but backup CM is not one of them IMO. Backup CB, backup GK, starting CB,DM,LB, 1 Wide forward - those are positions that need to be addressed. The backup CM spot is not one, at least this season IMO.

Edit: I also did not call him "indispensable"

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
football.tiger said:
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but he nutmegs Khedira and is then fouled by Pepe in that clip...
A nutmeg against one player don't make him a Suarez mate...

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
SF Red said:
I clearly think he has quite a bit more technical ability. I think that the one trait I mentioned is something no one else in our squad can do right now. He also has other traits which I mentioned above. He can cover both wide midfield spots as well as the 2 advanced CM (not DM) if nec.

I agree that we need replacements in multiple positions, but backup CM is not one of them IMO. Backup CB, backup GK, starting CB,DM,LB, 1 Wide forward - those are positions that need to be addressed. The backup CM spot is not one, at least this season IMO.

Edit: I also did not call him "indispensable"
EDIT: will what are you calling him then if you see something in him that shouldnt be sold??

EDIT: he's fucking shite out wide.

S

showmethemoney

TFC said:
I think we might end up selling more (Henderson?) than just Shelvey.
I think we could sell or loan both. Wouldn't bother me losing them if we bought in world class replacements. But we won't bring in world class replacements, so keep hold for another season in case one turns golden.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
showmethemoney said:
I think we could sell or loan both. Wouldn't bother me losing them if we bought in world class replacements. But we won't bring in world class replacements, so keep hold for another season in case one turns golden.
Thats what our whole team bar Luis and Gerrard is, a lucky dip of potential. We have too much invested in calculated risk in my opinion.

S

showmethemoney

WellRedKev said:
Thats what our whole team bar Luis and Gerrard is, a lucky dip of potential. We have too much invested in calculated risk in my opinion.
Cou? Sterling? Suso? Dan Dagger?

We have some class players; we shouldn't do ourselves down none too much. With or without Luis, we are on the right road. :)

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
showmethemoney said:
Cou? Sterling? Suso? Dan Dagger?
suso / sterling and even Coutinho are still in the potential category. Coutinho does look liek the real deal but lets see waht next seaosn brings with him.

There are a few of course like Lucas and agger but our future is too dependent on wehther Allen, Shelevy, Henderson, Suso, Sterling and even Borini and others actually live up to whats expected.

I wouldnt be happy if our midfield is gerrard, Lucas, shelvey, allen and henderson going into next season at all.

S

showmethemoney

WellRedKev said:
suso / sterling and even Coutinho are still in the potential category. Coutinho does look liek the real deal but lets see waht next seaosn brings with him.

There are a few of course like Lucas and agger but our future is too dependent on wehther Allen, Shelevy, Henderson, Suso, Sterling and even Borini and others actually live up to whats expected.

I wouldnt be happy if our midfield is gerrard, Lucas, shelvey, allen and henderson going into next season at all.
Hear ya completely, but as a totally desperate LFC fan who wants to see us sitting pretty at the top of the pile, I'm restless - so I call Cou, Suso & Sterling class.

Maybe I'll be left mugged off, but you got to dream...got to dream man. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.