• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Luis Alberto Romero (AM) - Sevilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
northjet said:
Ballague raves about this lad - reckons he is good enough to go straight into the first team here. Whilst I hope he isn't thrown in at the deep end, it's positive to hear that sort of endorsement from someone who is effectively seeing just about everything in Spanish football.
Back in the dawn of time, we signed an unknown kid called Kevin Keegan from a club several divisions below us who proved to be such a hit in pre-season training that Mr Shankly threw him straight into first team action on the opening day of the league season; he played a blinder, scored on his debut and then proceeded to rip up the division, so who knows how quickly Luis Alberto will start to shine?

Hopefully we'll have another Young Turk like Coutinho on our hands.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
It is amazing how much Coutinho's success colors our thinking on these. Last summer this transfer would have worried me. This summer I'm only excited by it.

rab

Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Err just a small point but don't you have to wait till Ince moves, see what he moves for and see how he does to be able to have any hindsight? You are saying in hindsight those are good moves then using moves that haven't happened yet as your counter argument. Not saying your logic is definitely flawed but can't agree with it the way its presented. Just because people don't want a move doesn't mean its good or bad.
No what im saying is people are countering the argument that Romero seems expensive by pointing out, with the benefit of hindsight, how good value a deal those players have been for a similar fee.

What im saying is compare Romero and Ince. There are similarities between the players in terms of age, experience, on field statistics etc and both are looking likely to move for similar fees this summer. Given there was a highly vocal element of people who opposed signing Ince in January for a variety of reasons, cost and top level experience being two, are some of those people happy to be paying a similar fee for a player they've likely seen less of based on the fact he's a young Spaniard who has been involved with Barcelona?

Romero could turn out to be great, he could be another Oriol Romeu. When people say the deal seems expensive it's redundant to keep rolling out the names of Bale, Walcott and Chamberlain as comparison of similarly priced deals for players of the same age as a way of justifying the price tag. I guess people are doing this as they've only seem the same YouTube videos of him that we've all watched and haven't got the authority or knowledge of him to comment on exactly what he's like as a player.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
1 Popular move or not Ince hasn't moved so you can't know Ince is a bad move just because people wouldn't like it.

2 Some appearances for Sevilla and impressing for Barca B is a lot different than no appearances for Liverpool and impressing for Blackpool.

S

showmethemoney

jabu said:
for approximately the price of ZAHA we have signed coutinho and luis alberto... u choose:)
Very good point.

As for your question...I'd have to think long & hard about that one. ;)

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
In the case of comparing Ince vs Luis Alberto, we have scouts. And they've probably watch many if not all his matches. So the comparison should e pretty straight forward.

We seem to be focused on specific players (as opposed to signing who's readily available). Like Coutinho (who wasn't even for sale). And we see how that turned out. Seems like there is something special with this lad that they like.

rab

Anfield rd Dreamer said:
1 Popular move or not Ince hasn't moved so you can't know Ince is a bad move just because people wouldn't like it.

2 Some appearances for Sevilla and impressing for Barca B is a lot different than no appearances for Liverpool and impressing for Blackpool.
1. I didn't say Ince is a bad move. I said he's a player comparable to Romero based on a number of factors and yet a lot of people argued Ince was too expensive when we were linked in January but don't have the same issue with the potential Romero deal. Is that because he's Spanish and played at Barca?

2. Sounds like you're judging Romero on where he's being bought from and not on your experience of watching him play which is kinda the point im trying to make. I know you were pro signing Ince in January, now you seem to rate Romero as a better player based on his Barca association and not because you've watched him play.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Thing is are Barca B better than Blackpool?
Was he a stand out performer in a team of talent as opposed to a talent in a number of lesser lights?
Would he be first team for Sevilla next year?

Also who is he coming to Liverpool to replace if anyone?

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
I would say your first point is a fair one. But to continue to try to be fair, there were plenty of people who thought Ince would be a good bit of business. I think Ince's history with the club (he refused a new contract and left for free) colored a lot of peoples perspective on that deal.

If Ince is going to Cardiff for 8mill, and we are getting Alberto for 7.5 there's no harm in comparing the two deals and trying to guess based on what we know about both players which would be the better deal.

Spain and Barca have deserved reputations for grooming exciting you talent, so count me among those who are on board with this signing.

Scouser268

TIA Youth Team
I am actually excited we're bringing this fella in. He looks really good, plays the way Rodgers likes it and has intelligence. I assume he and Coutinho will fight for that 10 spot as the creators of the attack.

Imagine we have them both at the same time on the pitch... Deadly movement and pinpoint through balls to either Sturridge or Aspas. Can't wait. I really like what Rodgers is doing!

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
mattyhurst said:
Shelvey. Is he as good as Shelvey now? Easily. Does he have potential to be much better than Shelvey? Easily. If Shelvey is sold for 5M, you're paying 2.5M to upgrade. Easy win.

Rakesh

I think opinions on Alberto were also coloured by the fact that initial reports suggested that we could pick him up for £3m... Now that that has 'balooned' to £7m it seems expensive.
If it had started out at £9m and went down to £7m, everyone would be lauding our negotiation skills :)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Lol for a start think its Alberto not Romero as somebody else pointed out. Yes I was pro signing Ince and still think he will be a cracking signing for somebody. Just think Alberto will be even better. I dont see that you actually understand the situation. This is a guy who plays in the areas of the pitch Iniesta, Pedro, Messi and the likes do at Barca yet they still had interest in this guy.

norwegian Suarez

TIA Youth Team
Coutinho/ Alberto / Suso... three that can be called natural number tens. I have missed that type in our team for a long time, Now we may have three.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
On Ince vs. Alberto, the Spaniard has skills and strengths we need while Ince's skills and strengths we already have. Ince can't play CAM like Alberto can and while Ince could potentially play CF, we also have more than enough options there.

I still don't like giving up on Ince, maybe we can forgo our sell on fee from Blackpool as long as they put in a clause where we get first choice on him to the club they sell him to? Probably not, way to confusing.

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
norwegian Suarez said:
Coutinho/ Alberto / Suso... three that can be called natural number tens. I have missed that type in our team for a long time, Now we may have three.
In fairness Coutinho will be playing wing, where he is devastating. I'd imagine Mhki is going be the number 10. I do agree it's nice to be stacked at this position.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
mattyhurst said:
Thing is are Barca B better than Blackpool?
Was he a stand out performer in a team of talent as opposed to a talent in a number of lesser lights?
Would he be first team for Sevilla next year?

Barca B are a mid table Segunda Division (our Championship equivalent I suppose) team who finished 9th this season just gone. It's difficult to seek a comparison between lower league Spanish and English clubs because they're like chalk and cheese. Barca B would probably run rings around Blackpool in terms of possession and the latter would probably dominate the former in terms of physical aggression, so who knows?

I hope that Luis Alberto is replacing Shelvey and Aspas will replace Downing.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Cortez said:
Calling him 'Romero' is like calling Torres 'Sanz' or Reina 'Páez' or Suarez 'Díaz'.
I don't think it is, I believe his paternal family name is indeed Romero, he just plays under the name Luis Alberto. His maternal family name is Alconchel.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Luis Alberto - 11 Goals 18 assists in 38 Games for Barca B
Tom Ince - 18 Goals & 14 Assists in 44 games for Blackpool

I've seen very little of both players but would hazard a guess Barca B is a better level than Blackpool, Barca B is a group of up and comers at one of the worlds greatest club from arguably the best youth setup in world football and he was one of the shining lights on that team.

Not to say Ince didn't have a great season but I don't think the competition for spots is anywhere near as fierce at Blackpool as it would be at Barca B.

rab

Anfield rd Dreamer said:
lol for a start think its Alberto not Romero as somebody else pointed out. Yes I was pro signing Ince and still think he will be a cracking signing for somebody. Just think Alberto will be even better. I dont see that you actually understand the situation. This is a guy who plays in the areas of the pitch Iniesta, Pedro, Messi and the likes do at Barca yet they still had interest in this guy.
Thanks for patronising me but surprisingly I do understand Barcelona have some great players that play in the same position as this guy. Just because there is a link to Barca doesn't automatically make him a great player. What have you seen of him, other than what's on YouTube, that makes you believe he'll be better than Ince given you actually rate Ince quite highly? Is it purely because he's played for Barca B or because we're about to buy him and you want to believe he could be a good player.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Even just in terms of technical ability and skill he seems to be several levels ahead of Ince, who everything I've seen of suggests he's pretty average in most departments of his game, certainly nothing that marks him out as being outstanding.

But then I never got the hype for Ince when that was first mooted in January, either.

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
Arminius said:
I don't think it is, I believe his paternal family name is indeed Romero, he just plays under the name Luis Alberto. His maternal family name is Alconchel.
Formally, sure, you're right: If he chose to go by Luis Romero rather than Luis Alberto, then that definitely follows the more popular/traditional Spanish naming Convention. In this case, he goes with Luis Alberto, which I suspect is due to the fact Romero quite popular - even more so than Torres - and likely because somebody in his family, maybe his father or brother, goes by Luis (something) Romero (Alconchel) already. You know what Spaniards are like for naming. It's a bit rarer to do it, but it happens. It might even have something to do with the religious/pilgrim root of 'Romero', I dunno.

Personally, I think he should do what Zapatero did and go with his apellido materno, Alconchel. It'd add £15m to his transfer fee, though; we should get him to do it when he signs.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
ILLOK said:
Could be all the great reviews he's getting from those who watch barca b
Pretty much. Every expert of Spanish football seems convinced he would be a starting regular at any Spanish side other than Real an Barca. As I am not an expert on Spanish football I don't feel like arguing with the opinion of every expert I've seen have an opinion on him based purely on the fact he was playing in the Segunda. Barca had Pedro playing in Barca B till he was 22 but when they had a space for him in the first team BAM instant starter. Barca B compete in a league they can't be promoted from. They play for fun and development. Its nothing to them where they finish in that league. Most Barca B players could be more than decent options in most squads. And this is one of their two shining lights from last season. Just dont understand the resistance.

northjet

TIA Reserve Team
EdWood said:
Back in the dawn of time, we signed an unknown kid called Kevin Keegan from a club several divisions below us who proved to be such a hit in pre-season training that Mr Shankly threw him straight into first team action on the opening day of the league season; he played a blinder, scored on his debut and then proceeded to rip up the division, so who knows how quickly Luis Alberto will start to shine?

Hopefully we'll have another Young Turk like Coutinho on our hands.
Yes, however Keegan came from Scunthorpe, so didn't move countries, and had experience of being kicked around by English defenders. He was also a little older, and physically a strong, stocky player, which this lad doesn't seem to be. We're well covered for the position, so whilst I do take your point, I still hope he's given six months or so to acclimatise. If he's half as good as Kevin we're on a winner.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
At 20 he is still very young, so he certainly may need 6 months or a season to find his feet in the EPL, and it looks like he will have plenty of competition for a place in our side (did I really just type that????). I've never seen him play, so I have no idea how good he really is, but the expert opinions are pretty consistently positive on him.

I've gotten numb enough to the ridiculous transfer fees that nothing under 10m bothers me. It seems like we have to get to 15 or 20 before a poor transfer become difficult to offload or seriously impacts our ability to make other deals - even in recent supposedly cash-strapped years.

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
EdWood said:
Barca B are a mid table Segunda Division (our Championship equivalent I suppose) team who finished 9th this season just gone. It's difficult to seek a comparison between lower league Spanish and English clubs because they're like chalk and cheese. Barca B would probably run rings around Blackpool in terms of possession and the latter would probably dominate the former in terms of physical aggression, so who knows?

I hope that Luis Alberto is replacing Shelvey and Aspas will replace Downing.
Are Barca B managed like a normal club or a reserve squad? If it's a reserve squad, they're going to have holes in the team (like defense) and not necessarily go out of their way to fill them like a normal club. So position in the table is misleading. Of course you can expect their attacking talent to be world class because that's how Barca plays. So for him to be a leading player at Barca B (on par with Deufoleu) says alot.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
lougehrig said:
Are Barca B managed like a normal club or a reserve squad? If it's a reserve squad, they're going to have holes in the team (like defense) and not necessarily go out of their way to fill them like a normal club. So position in the table is misleading. Of course you can expect their attacking talent to be world class because that's how Barca plays. So for him to be a leading player at Barca B (on par with Deufoleu) says alot.
Iniesta said something the other day about their development of players about how they dont care about winning youth trophies they care about educating their players.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Iniesta said something the other day about their development of players about how they dont care about winning youth trophies they care about educating their players.
It's probably incredibly liberating being able to coach a load of kids to play the way you want them to play as adults, in a competitive environment but with absolutely no pressure to achieve results in the short-term, and the pressure that puts on coaches to just play solid, percentage football.

No wonder Rafa wanted English football to adopt a similar system.

brush85

Anfield rd Dreamer said:
That being said, they do win most of the youth trophies anyway. I think Rodolfo said something a while back about winning is important because of the mentality it creates.

Look at individual sports for example...you win and develop your abilities at the same time. There is no reason why you cant do both IMO...just as long as folks are honest about their flaws and address them even if they have won or achieved success.

Status
Not open for further replies.