• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Luis Alberto Romero (AM) - Sevilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
lougehrig said:
In fairness Coutinho will be playing wing, where he is devastating. I'd imagine Mhki is going be the number 10. I do agree it's nice to be stacked at this position.
You guys are talking like its a done deal that "Mhki" will play here next season. I hope he does but lets see him sign first maybe?

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
T.C.B said:
You guys are talking like its a done deal that "Mhki" will play here next season. I hope he does but lets see him sign first maybe?
This is a rumors thread. What else to talk about other than thr hypothetical?

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
lougehrig said:
This is a rumors thread. What else to talk about other than thr hypothetical?
Yes it is for possible transfer targets. You guys are talking like its a done deal discussing formations for next season.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Ince is a wanker.He left us and has been acting the big man like his dad.I would rather trust Brendans judgement on Luis Romero.
We will still get cash from where ever Ince jr goes.

Just because there is a link to Barca doesn't automatically make him a great player. What have you seen of him, other than what's on YouTube, that makes you believe he'll be better than Ince given you actually rate Ince quite highly?
He could be good or crap our scouts and manager have made a decision that they believe this kid will do a job for us and they are getting him.End of.If he is good then great but if he is bad then sell him on.We have to take chances.Maybe we got fed up with Ince and his club and decided to go another route.Maybe our scouts think he is better than Ince.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
RMP said:
How did Ince act like a "wanker" ? :unsure:
He didn't but he rejected a LFC contract which is another for most not to like him. He just wanted to play football, rumours he may of even got paid better if he had stayed and not moved.

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
T.C.B said:
Yes it is for possible transfer targets. You guys are talking like its a done deal discussing formations for next season.
And? If you're heavily linked with two players wouldn't you talk about how he fits the squad tactically? What else can you talk about him? If he gets on with players from Spain?

I've read articles written saying, "What would the team look like if Eriksen were purchased?" Or what formation would Real play if they signed Bale etc.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Cortez said:
Calling him 'Romero' is like calling Torres 'Sanz' or Reina 'Páez' or Suarez 'Díaz'.
No, it isn't. His second surname is Alconchel.

Calling him "Alberto" is just as ridiculous as us calling José Enrique Sánchez Díaz just "Enrique".

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Prolix said:

Calling him "Alberto" is just as ridiculous as calling José Enrique just "Enrique".
Or Fernando Llorente Torres something stupid like Llorente instead of Fernando Torres.... Oh!

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Or Fernando Llorente Torres something stupid like Llorente instead of Fernando Torres.... Oh!
Llorente is his paternal surname, not part of his forename. "Enrique" and "Alberto", however, are part of composite forenames (Luis Alberto and José Enrique, respectively).

My name in Spanish form would be Pedro Esteban B----- C------- (with B. being my paternal surname, the only one we use in English, typically). If I was Spanish, I could choose to go by "Pedro Esteban", but that doesn't make it proper to refer to me only as "Esteban".

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Prolix said:
Llorente is his paternal surname, not part of his forename. "Enrique" and "Alberto", however, are part of composite forenames (Luis Alberto and José Enrique, respectively).

My name in Spanish form would be Pedro Esteban B----- C------- (with B. being my paternal surname, the only one we use in English, typically). If I was Spanish, I could choose to go by "Pedro Esteban", but that doesn't make it proper to refer to me only as "Esteban".
Lol yeah realised my mistake after posting was hoping nobody would notice lol

jabu

TIA New Signing
I think the level in the spanish la liga is of a very good level. I use the barca and madrid players that have all played for the spanish u21 (batre, morata, montoya and even thiago before he got his first team callup). They have played extremely well in those u21 tournaments and never looked out of their depth, but actully looked well above it ( morata). I know that a lot of people will be pissed for what im about to say, but in my opinion english football is the worst technique-wise, germany and spain, holland and i might argue that even italy play better quality football in terms of technique. i always find it arrogant and ignorant when the british say this foriegn player will struggle in the premier league because its a class above etc when in actual fact its a class below. You look at the criticism that liverpool recieved for signing coutinho as he was believed to be too small and would not be able to cope with the great (sarcasm) british game while celebrating the sigining of a british campionship league player who cost double the amount, his technique and football brain is knowhere near countinho's, but he is worth more because he can cope physically with the british game. But once coutinho committed himself physically we have seen what he has done to the league.A foriegn player who commits themselves phyisically to the british game thats about 90% of the battle won because chances are they will be more than adequate technique-wise and football thinking-wise as most british players lack proper footballing technique.

My point is, if luis alberto can have nearly identical stats to paul ince (who will cost 3-4 million more), has better technique than ince/zaha, then why not give him the benefit of doubt that like coutinho, mata, silva, he too will adjust and as for talent, we know that will take care of itself

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
Prolix said:
Did you not read my follow-up comment, mate? I know the apellido materno is Alconchel. I'm talking specifically about the naming convention he has chosen, and the reasons why he chose it. Calling him Romero would be as daft as somebody calling Jose Enrique, and 'Enrique' is what just about everybody calls him, as 'Sanchez' every time they referred to him.

If you want to argue that he should be called Luis Alberto every time, fine, or that Jose Enrique should be called Jose Enrique every time, then fine. Seems a silly argument to make that we should refer to the lad as Romero or Jose Enrique as Sanchez when using his last name.

What next, we're going to have to stop calling Ronaldo, erm, Ronaldo, because it's technically incorrect (I've already stated Romero is technically his surname, using traditional naming conventions, before you replied) by portuguese naming conventions?

Calling him "Alberto" is just as ridiculous as us calling José Enrique Sánchez Díaz just "Enrique".
You'd probably better get onto Enrique. Sorry, I mean Sánchez. You'd better get onto our well known left back, Sánchez, and tell him he's ridiculous and has his name wrong. Of course, there's much more too it than that.

Bottom line is that I'll not be calling him Romero.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Cortez said:
If you want to argue that he should be called Luis Alberto every time, fine, or that Jose ENrique should be called Jose Enrique every time, then fine. Seems a silly argument to make that we should refer to the lad as Romero or Jose Enrique as Sanchez when using his last name.
My point was that they should be referred to by their full composite forename (i.e. "Luis Alberto" or "José Enrique"). Using just "Alberto" or "Enrique" would be as nonsensical as referring to me by my middle name (Stefan).

My impression is that people shorten it to just "Alberto" or "Enrique" because they are under the impression that it's their paternal surname (which we use in English to refer to people) when in reality it isn't.

Your original comment:

Cortez said:
Calling him 'Romero' is like calling Torres 'Sanz' or Reina 'Páez' or Suarez 'Díaz'.
This compares his paternal surname (Romero) to all the other players' maternal surnames, which is a mistaken comparison.

Calling him "Romero" would be like calling our goalkeeper Reina or our former striker Torres.

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
Prolix said:
My point was that they should be referred to by their full composite forename (i.e. "Luis Alberto" or "José Enrique"). Using just "Alberto" or "Enrique" would be as nonsensical as referring to me by my middle name (Stefan).

My impression is that people shorten it to just "Alberto" or "Enrique" because they are under the impression that it's their paternal surname (which we use in English to refer to people) when in reality it isn't.

Your original comment:

This compares his paternal surname (Romero) to all the other players' maternal surnames, which is a mistaken comparison.

Calling him "Romero" would be like calling our goalkeeper Reina or our former striker Torres.
As I said in my follow up post, only if you disregard his own naming choice. I've a Spanish name, using my father's surname like Torres or Reina do, so I'm not oblivious to this custom. I'm saying, like Ronaldo, he has chosen to go against traditional naming conventions. Calling him Romero, in this case where he has chosen, like Enrique, not to use it - likely for one of the reasons I stated - would be a bit daft.

I shan't be calling him Romero. I'll either call him Luis Alberto or, in internet line-ups, I'll probably call him Alberto in the same way I, and everybody else, uses Enrique.

Anyway, it looks like this is a done deal. I'm pleased because he comes with a good reputation, talent, and potential. Whether he actually works out remains to be seen, but we're now in the fortunate place where we have the luxury of introducing him slowly if we need to.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Cortez said:
Calling him Romero, in this case where he has chosen, like Enrique, not to use it - likely for one of the reasons I stated - would be a bit daft.
No argument there. I just don't understand referring to him only by the second part of his forename.

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
It's just the different naming customs between the UK and the Iberian peninsula. We in England expect two names and in the case where Spaniards come here having dropped their two last names, people just take the last name. My issue really regarding calling him Alberto, I agree with you about the incorrectness (even if it is understandable) of calling him Alberto, it's calling him Romero.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Always wondered whether J.E. minds being widely referred to as "Enrique" or whether he doesn't care what he's called as long as it's not José Sánchez.

Have there been any pro footballers to go hardcore and simply put "José" on the back of their shirt?

On that note, I'll just call this new guy "Bert." It's not quite as good as "Fred," but it'll have to do.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Prolix said:

Your original comment:

I'm just going to start calling them by their shirt numbers ...less complicated lol

RedJacko

TIA Youth Team
Spanish press reports that we've had a bid accepted and there's an intense debate about what were going to call the guy.

Having done extensive research and skimming through the 17 pages of this thread, I still haven't got a clue what his natural position is!?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
RedJacko said:
Spanish press reports that we've had a bid accepted and there's an intense debate about what were going to call the guy.

Having done extensive research and skimming through the 17 pages of this thread, I still haven't got a clue what his natural position is!?
Most likely to play AM or LF but could play RF or the dreaded "false 9"! Versatile lil bugger!

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
RedJacko said:

Fuck his position, I still don't know what his name is?

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
OhYaBeauty said:
Ah, classic TIA, arguing over semantics.
I want us to keep Skrtle and Coatez and play Gerrard as AM.

You know you love it.

As for Wicho Alberto, seems like he can play anywhere in attack other than as a #9. Speaking of 9s, I want to see Borini start every game while Sturridge is out. Give him the minutes he deserves

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
All I know is he's known as Luis Alberto and all the papers have been callinh him that. And they refer to him by the surname Alberto in the articles. I'd imagine thats carried over from local Spanish newspapers and it's in similar style to Luis Enrique who's referred to as Enrique when needed.

I feel his main position is AMC. Secondary positions AML and FW.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
According to Orgullo de Nervion (Sevilla journo), LFC had already scouted Luis Alberto from October 2012 , in the person of Julian Ward, our new scout for Spain and Portugal.

The first actual approach to the player was in March of this year (also from Ward) ...who made it be known that LFC really wanted him, as a player. "Luis Alberto just smiled, on the news that he was considered to be a major player in Brendan Rodger's new project."

Again (via Nervion) ...with some Luis Alberto quotes
"Everything has gone so fast. I just went on vacation, after a hard season, and suddenly they call to tell me that I have to go back. Practically just arrived, landing in Madrid at 11.00 and now, still a little dizzy (he laughs) I go to my village. It's normal to be very excited, but I also recognize it is a very strange situation, especially because, in just one year, for what has occured with me. When I was loaned to Barcelona B, I understood that it was the best option. Sevilla told me - you should play, you have to be (and feel) important ...and I think that I succeeded. Now, Liverpool ....it's just amazing!"

Status
Not open for further replies.